• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 9,031 Views, 71 Comments

I'm Sorry, Sis: Sweetie Belle - KrishnaKarnak



Rarity's temper begins to get the best of her in the aftermath of a fire at the Cutie Mark Crusader clubhouse.

  • ...
8
 71
 9,031

Aftermath

Rarity's hoof slid across the switch of her sewing machine. With a flourish, she swung the large quilt out from her body. As it rippled through the air, fanning across the span of her workroom, she seized it in her cornflower blue aura. It floated through the air, above her bed, and flattened against the wall. Still maintaining its position, Rarity levitated a series of nails toward it and fixed it in place.

She stood back to admire her work. Opalescence mewed and wound her way about her hooves, back and forth like a breeze through the sails of a ship. Now affixed to the wall over her bed was a masterfully crafted quilt, positioned her if ever she needed it for a cold night. Brilliant reds and golds adorned the outer edges, while the central design showcased a pair of unicorns. She based it upon the drawing that Sweetie Belle had once done of them, although rather than surround it with sapphires, she wanted the warmer colours.

This was her reminder. She would wake up every morning and lay her eyes upon those unicorns. A reminder of her promise to always do what was truly best for the most important little filly in her life. Never again would she allow hatred to cloud her vision and her judgement.

There was a knock at her bedroom door. “Enter, my dear,” Rarity called out, removing her gaze from the quilt.

Sweetie Belle entered the room, wearing her saddlebag over her back. “I'm ready to go, Rarity.”

“Yes, hun, I can see that,” Rarity teased lightly, beaming at her. “However, before we go, I want a quick word with you.” She straightened out her face into a more serious look, causing Sweetie Belle's smile to falter.

“I... uh, alright,” Sweetie mumbled in a voice of uncertainty. “What's up?”

Rarity walked over and ruffled her sister's mane. “While you were at school this morning, I had a little chat with Applejack and Rainbow Dash.”

“Right,” Sweetie said with a nod, waiting for Rarity to continue as Opalescence pressed her head against Sweetie's legs.

“You Crusaders may be having your sleepover next week,” Rarity explained. As Sweetie Belle's face brightened and she prepared to exclaim with delight, Rarity held up a hoof. “However... you're not out of the water just yet, my dear. Just because you've avoided a filly's worst nightmare in terms of repercussions, you will still be grounded.”

Sweetie's face fell somewhat and she let out a sigh. “I... guess that's fair, yeah. I mean, we did kind of—”

“For three weeks,” Rarity continued, approaching the door.

What?!” the filly gasped, mouth hanging open.

“I've also been speaking with Mother. She quite agrees, and apart from the sleepover, you are to go straight home after school every day. I'll be happy to take you whenever you want, but I'll be enforcing stricter rules and monitoring your behaviour closely.”

Sweetie pawed at the carpet with her hoof. “Fine...”

Rarity knew Sweetie had to be thinking the same thing as she was at that time: Sweetie had gotten off pretty easily last night, when compared to her friends. After talking with the other mares, they all agreed that grounding her was a better course of action, at least to continue ensuring that this would not happen again.

“Mom's not mad at me, right?” Sweetie asked cautiously as she slowly followed Rarity out of the room. “Like I said, I really didn't want her to worry.”

“No, Sweetie,” Rarity explained, giving a small sigh herself. “She agreed with the grounding, but that doesn't mean that she's angry.”

There would certainly need to be future chats with Pearl and Magnum, Rarity reflected sadly as she lead her sister down the Boutique stairs, across the main room, and out of the front door. Sweetie Belle's love and affection for her parents was absolute; it was not fair to her for their parents to be so indifferent, almost neglectful.

In the meantime, however, Rarity was quite happy to fill the position of the caring role model. Sweetie Belle was absolutely worth it.

Comments ( 33 )

Like I said, I didn't need to read this to know I was going to love it...and I was right. This was heartwarming, sweet and very nice. I admit to tearing up at points while I was also enjoying the Sweetie Belle and Rarity moments

Wellp, that epilogue pretty much changed this whole fic to a clear upvote for me. Just wish it had been there from the start cos that's what the story needed.

In my opinion ofc.

3689483 'course it's your opinion. Who else would it belong to? :P

But I'm glad you liked it.

We need to have a fic someday following the events of this fic. And Either Rares becoming the legal guardian for Sweetie Belle and being a good one for her rather than Negligent, utterly indifferent ponies who don't care about her. Or get their parents to give the same level of care for Sweetie Belle that Rares was given.

This epilogue appeared as I was reading the first chapter.

While this one didn't have the same emotional punch that ISS: Scootaloo did, I still very much enjoyed it. I'm not a fan of the pyrophobia though. It was just sort of...there. Like, it appeared out of left field with no real set up.I kinda wish you had found some other way to pull off the non-corporal punishment theme of the fic.

I still enjoyed this fic though. I enjoyed the contrast to ISS: Scootaloo and liked that this one ended with a non-corporal punishment instead of a spanking. Both forms of punishment can be effective if used correctly.

Looking forward to ISS: Applebloom.

Well this is the good. Not as good as Scoots's story, but still excellent. I think probably because ISS: Scoots had more emotionally weight to it.

The tone here is different, I guess, due to the difference in the relationship. I do think the epilogue saved it. Not sure why it's tacked on as a separate chapter, but whatever.

I have a feeling Apple Bloom's punishment is going to be much like Scootaloo's

Okay...read the epilogue...three weeks grounding is most satisfactory. Rarity gets my parenting seal of approval. :duck:

Finally it's out! On ward to reading it:moustache:

*After reading it*
I love it so much!:scootangel:

3697191

Yes indeed. Though, if ya ask me, the 'understanding'ness from Rarity's parents is probably a greater harm to Sweetie Belle than anything else. Indifference is very harmful to a child :unsuresweetie:

Aw... Too bad for the grounding, Sweetie Belle. Still, you're as cute as ever. :twilightsmile:

3697202

I was a bit unclear on something. Is it "understanding" on their part, or just indifference? Or a bit of both?

Also, I agree with this sentiment. One of my parents was "understanding", and after a certain age I was never punished for anything. In the long run, that didn't work out too well for me.

3698131

Could be a bit of both, but indifference is really what I was shooting for. Nothing happened to Sweetie Belle, so her mother shrugged off the entire thing. Magnum showed more unease about the whole situation, but he follows his wife.

3703369

Sweetie, set a kitchen on fire?

Surely not!

3699436

Okay then. That's certainly how it comes across. They seem as if they just don't care that much.

Well, in any case, awesome story! I also loved ISS: Scootaloo. I'm eagerly awaiting the Applebloom story!

Amazingness. I fully agree with rarity on this. A spanking wouldn't seem right here but punishment was in order. Im really looking forward to ISS: Apple Bloom

Edit: This story was very good. Major feels.
This story is an accomplishment. Keep writing. You are getting better, and you were already very, very talented.

:flutterrage:HOW COULD RARITY SLAP AND GROUND SWEETIE'S ADORABLE FACE AFTER TREATING HER LIKE DIRT RIGHT AFTER SWEETIE GOT OUT OF A TERRIFYING FIRE! WHAT MAKES IT WORSE IS THAT SWEETIE IS TERRIFIED OF FIRE SO SHE ALREADY LEARNT HER LESSON RARITY SAID SO!!!




Okay now I'm done. I also hate Sweetie's parents now. Sweetie is an adorible, innocent, fluffy, marshmellow pony, and Fluttershy and Pinkie's partner in breaking universal laws by bing to adorible :pinkiehappy: :yay: :unsuresweetie:

Comment posted by Sonic Derpboom deleted Feb 8th, 2014

3953341

Thanks so much. Glad you liked it. Rarity's always been a fave of mine.

Very nice, a solid emotional and rational counterpoint to the preceding two companion pieces. Good job.:raritywink:

4067023 It's nothing official in the show or comics or whatever, I think, but I did know that I'd be facing the headcanon that they're married sooner or later. I choose to believe she's an... 'associate'.

3959443 Thanks! Just gotta do the third and final chapter, now.

4067056 *Please read all*
Ok I'm glad I read this. Initially I was going to read more of “What’s Really Most Important” then I wanted to read “ISS: Scootaloo” but saw sweetie belle’s story and said why not. The most impressive this in this chapter for me is the wide vocabulary that Rarity would no doubt use but to me I know that it would have made writing this all the more challenging. I enjoy proper language but never to that extent. No matter the state Rarity was in she always had something to say.

But more to you and the story in general. I thought this was more up this sister’s pairs alley with all the yelling. The shocking display of her parents isn’t how I thought of them but given how much Sweetie is over Rarity’s one can very well come to the way you “painted them” so to speak. That scene with the mirror was intense just like in “Putting Your Down” with Fluttershy and Iron Will. I was more involved in seeing what Sweetie said next or what I learned about how she feels. Even though I waited for Rarity to have her pyrophobia realization to find out why was distressing Sweetie. Really I couldn’t put two and two together with the fire and the flame in the guest bedroom. I felt a little dumb.

The writing was still excellent but I feel bad for Scootaloo. What if part of the reason she choose her punishment was because Rainbow made it seem that Sweetie and Applebloom were already punished. But Sweetie was you said got off easy with partial thanks to her pyrophobia. What about Scoot’s anxiety problem? I don’t doubt that in the end Rainbow made better on how to talk to Scootaloo and make her realize the extent of what could have happened to her and everypony’s lives around her if the three died but something’s is just off about it.

I know this is not the story I’m commenting for but please don’t stop writing What Really Most Important. You update but not frequently. Once I catch up then what? Reading a story in progress is never easy but I feel uncertainty about you finishing it. And after the battle in Saddle Arabia will it go back to being fully on Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash? That is the majority of why this story is a treasure to read. Growing bonds and struggles of a family. I’m going a tangent but without a response from you how can I know how you feel? In my experience was a writer it was these kind of reviews that made me write more frequently or start a new story if I were in the middle of two. Even if they are 2,000 word chapters every few days (I wish) to one a week. Don’t start making huge chapters once every 3 or four months because then I can’t remember the story and loss attachment to it. Reading chapters of this has helped me get away from a troubled mind lately. I hope you stuck around long enough to read all this. Thanks for doing that. Respond though too please. I really don't want to come off as rude and if I'm off base on anything I can't really be to blame since I don't know your situation.:scootangel:

4067056 I should have had the foresight to look at your blog first. I'm so sorry about your Uncle.

5514332
I think just about everything is better than what it is currently. :rainbowlaugh: But the sad part is that it fits so well in the sentence that I almost thought it was intentional. This was before I found out it was a part of this story and not some crack fic that I thought it was.

5514332
5514344

It was absolutely intentional! It IS a synonymy that fits the sentence and hoity toity vernacular fits a Rarity story better, I felt.

5514998
Interesting. I guess I should have known that that word had more than one meaning to it, or maybe a meaning not entirely associated with what I thought it was. :rainbowlaugh:

im waiting for "sorry sis: Applebloom"

6348493

verb (used with object), ejaculated, ejaculating.
1.
to utter suddenly and briefly; exclaim.

It's dated speech, but it's legit :derpytongue2: I think it fits Rarity more than anyone else.

:moustache: Rares I've never seen you that angry at your sister ever
:duck: She kept me from meeting Fancy Pants yesterday
:moustache: Lucky you missed it.
:raritywink: Why?
:moustache: His usual stuff he pulls. . .
:raritystarry: You know Fancy Pants?
:moustache: Yeah He's got mares lined up everywhere specially Canterlot used to cover for him before he went silly...
:raritystarry: Cover?
:moustache:Yeah Fluir caught him again and the Royal Guard shagged him...B.A.D. and all the other mares too.
:raritycry: Shagged him?!?
:moustache: Why do you think why I stick with Twilight. . .She's my Probation officer:twilightoops::raritycry:

Why isn't there an Applejack version?!:raritydespair:

Amazing story! Though I don't think Rarity and Sweetie-Belle would ever act like that. Looking forward to the Apple-Bloom one.

Login or register to comment