• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 17,748 Views, 844 Comments

Not What I had Expected - Frosthowl



My name is Aran, and I have lived in Equestria for almost a year now. I don't remember how I arrived to Equestria, but I can never forgett what happened when I arrived. living dissection, Betrayal of trust, Speciesism and a general hatred towar

  • ...
91
 844
 17,748

Chapter 8 Royal Duties

It was a cloudy afternoon, as the weather ponies had scheduled a snow storm that was going to fly through Equestria and follow all the way to Gryffindar. Celestia had just finished delivering the bad news to the parents of the guards lost in the conflict a few days ago. Trying to maintain a calm demeanor, she waited until she was back in her own room, before she shut the door and fell back on it. Sliding down, she covered her face with her hoof as she desperately tried to forget their cries of grief, still ringing in her mind. It was affecting her deeply, despite having done this several times before. Each time she had to tell the loved ones of the deceased that they wouldn’t be coming back, made her heart clench in pain. What was even worse is that they couldn't have a proper funeral to bury the remains of the guards due to there being only traces of fur and bones left, making it impossible to know who was who. It hurt more when she had to tell a single mother that her son couldn’t join her for her birthday, out of all, this hit her at home the most, after all, in her life, she had never loved anyone more then her son, Sunbright, or as he is better known these days, Sombra. Both Celestia and Luna felt empty after their encounter a millennia ago, they both had a gaping hole in their hearts that could not be filled. And seeing the parents mourn the loss of their sons, woke up this long forgotten pain.

Tears freely slid down her face as she mourned for her loss and others.. A knock came from the door. She quickly wiped away any visible tears and took a quick second to insure that there were no traces of sorrow in her eyes. "Sister, are you alright?" As soon as she heard Luna's voice, she let down her guard again. Celestia Opened the door, allowing her sister to enter the room. Luna already sensed there was something wrong with her sister. "Did it go well?"

"They all took it very hard, sons, brothers and fathers that will never see their loved ones again. And it was all my fault, I shouldn't have trusted Aran to keep his end of the bargain!" She kicked the ground, cracking the marmor surface.

Every moment Luna saw her sister suffering because of her arrogance and misjudgment felt like a hot iron rod going through her heart. Secretly losing one of the few who have been at her side for millennia, because she wanted to get rid of a thorn that wasn't even causing her any trouble. She wanted to smack herself across the face for even bothering with Aran, they hadn't had a single incident ever since the wedding. "What will we do regarding the filly, Applebloom?" Celestia stood silent for a moment, she didn't know if it was possible to save her anymore, Aran was now in possession of a powerful weapon, had a hostage he could kill or let die at any moment, and to top it off, she didn’t know how many ponies it would take to even engage and manage him properly. He was an avatar of ferocity and rage, was no stranger to pain, suffering, and combat.What was once an innocent child, was now a monster that seeked nothing but vengeance. A monster of vengeance that she had created because of her arrogance and misjudgment. "Tia?" Celestia snapped out of her thoughts.

"I don't know… the only way we can kill or imprison him is if we bring an army, but our guards have already searched every inch of the Everfree for him. He has most likely left for the minotaur planes or gryffindar, and if we would send an army after him, that would be seen as a direct declaration of war, if we send a small squad of specialists, we are taking another big risk with their lives and also risk the life of a little filly. The most likely outcome from that option would result in heavy casualties before they could manage to bring him down, and that is the best case scenario, it could also go all wrong, and end up in a bloodbath that nopony walks away from. But, if we do nothing, we will forfeit the life of Applebloom. In conclusion, the answer comes down to whether the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. But if we let Applebloom die, Applejack would never forgive us and she might lose her connection to her element as I did, leaving Equestria defenseless." Celestia took a deep breath as the stress of the situation was getting to her. Celestia looked to her sister for any sort of advice, but she also had no idea how to save Applebloom from Aran.


***

Aran slowly woke up from his dreamless sleep and cherished every second that he was under a warm blanket, on a soft bed and a real pillow. Aran was already fully awake, but decided that it was pointless to leave the bed anyways, after all, he had no business downstairs and Applebloom was still asleep next to him, he just lay there and thought about how much he had forgotten the good old comforts of society, though he remembered very little of it. He did remember one event in particular though; a particular winter’s morning when the cold crisp air was seeping into his room with a view right out his window with a perfect panorama of his neighbourhood, covered in a blanket of white fluffy snow. A small nostalgic smile crept onto his face, though it was quickly snuffed out, remembering how he had taken his life on Earth for granted. Just the task of getting water was an hour long process, compared to the simple turn of a knob. Or the weekly mission to get properly fed, compared to being able to order a pizza which he could now last at most a week, instead of a single evening.

But most of all, the long, long forgotten sense of security, knowing that there is an unimaginably small chance of harm when you lay down in your bed, compared to in Equestria, where every second your eyes were closed was a second that could cost you your life. Living in the everfree forest as long as he did, had made him paranoid for every second he had his back turned or his eyes closed. Lying down on the bed again, Aran twist and turned in the bed, looking over Applebloom's shoulder. Memories of his murder attempt were flashing back to him, even though she had done a great job locating something sharp and useful as a weapon in a very short notice, even the ability to sneak by everyone unnoticed. But that was to be expected of her, after all. In this part of the world, children are ignored by everyone, they are everywhere, see everything and hear everything, with no one taking notice of their presence. Maybe she could have her uses after all. In Magmar, most would just look at her as an orphan filly. She could be his eyes and ears, getting information where he could not.

Aran let out a relieved sigh, now that he had solved his problem with Applebloom, he eased up a bit on his thinking, however, now that he was done contemplating, he had nothing else to do but lay in bed. But after a few minutes it became really dull, his body being as rested as it could be. Putting on his torn up shoes, he made his way down the stairs to have some breakfast, something he didn't think he'd ever do again. A blissful smile crept on his face as he saw the inn mostly abandoned, with only Volkar and the barmaids cleaning up after last night’s rather gruesome event. He approached the minotaur and grabbed whatever was present on the table.

"Shit, what happened here?" He looked around. "Where did everyone go?"

"They all grabbed their stuff and left the second they woke up,” Volkar shrugged. “My bet is that you scared them away. Sucks for my business, but hey, at least there wasn't a single brawl last night, so that is an upside." Aran chuckled as he took a sip of water. "By the way, next time you kill someone, please don't leave their heads and a bloody corpse outside my Inn. It tends to freak out any newcomers."

"Sorry, mom. Next time I brutally slaughter a gang of minotaur, I'll clean up my mess." He said, trying to suppress his smirk. But as quick as he was to relax, he was just as quick to grow restless again. Thoughts about Cadence popped up as he had a lot of time and nothing to do but think. Though he had no physical worries at the moment, he was still uneasy about his encounter with the pink alicorn, if she ever would seek him out again, could he really bring himself to kill her?

***

Aran lay on the ground, his mouth half open the taste of dirt assaulting his tongue. He was drooling endlessly, he had barely enough strength to breath, his body was unable to warm itself due to his mistreatment. He was dying in his cell, but a day or two away from either freezing, or starving to death. Even if he didn’t die from malnourishment, the strain put on his body was far too much that he knew he would be dead soon enough. He knew that the still healing wound that took up most of his torso would tear and reopen the wound. His mind was also fading in and out of consciousness. He could still feel the remnants of the spell the ponies had cast on him, rippling in his head. To say that the spell felt like nails on a chalkboard was an understatement, this was more like a chainsaw cutting through glass. Aran was broken, physically and mentally. "This...This is it." He whispered to himself in comfort. He would die, but at least he would be put out of his misery. He was just about to black out...and never wake up again. With no hope of rescue, the light in his eyes slowly faded away as he slowly closed his eyes and he loosened his grip on life.

An azure light shone through the abandoned dungeon. Cadence approached the unconscious and malnourished human. Her horn gave a bright glow as its magic surged into the half-dead body, trying to revitalize the soon-to-be corpse. She had put significant effort into the spell, even with his magical resistance, it was quickly showing results. His fingers were twitching and small gasps and moans could be heard under his breath. Cadence, seeing that the human had been saved from the grasp of death, left a small basket, with, bread, treats, fruits, hay and vegetables along with a note and something special before teleporting out of the dungeon.

Aran's senses quickly returned to him as a feeling of rejuvenation spread throughout his body. His mental and physical pain had been greatly suppressed and his strength was steadily coming back to him, stronger than he'd had for a while now. "What just happened?" Straining his muscles, he once again was fully conscious and able to stand. The wound from his procedure had mostly been healed, though it was still there, it would one day leave a scar on his chest and life from his unforgettable experience. Aran was lucky that the moon was shining through his barred window, or else he most likely wouldn't be able to see the basket of food. Surprised, he didn't waste a second before grabbing whatever he could get his hands on, however, the first thing his hand touched was a note on top of the food.

Destroy the basket and throw it out of the window. I hope that you accept my token of friendship.

Aran didn't need much puzzling to know that it was most likely the pink alicorn that had healed him from earlier, still a little bit shocked that she would give him food after he had spat in her face, he sniffed it suspecting it to be poisoned. Contemplating the risk whether or not it was worth starving to death over edible food or to risk a quick, and perhaps, even more painful death from poison he eventually shrugged and gobbled down an apple. Chewing thoroughly, and swallowing, Aran waited a second, which turned into thirty, and then a minute. When he didn’t start foaming at the mouth, he continued with his meal. If the pink pony was offering food to have her curiosity fed, then he wouldn't complain, as long as he got sustenance and medical attention, he could tolerate the alicorn.


***

The throne room was completely silent, the guards were ordered to leave Luna alone and in solitude. Scribbling away on the parchment, despite the heavy losses faced in the royal guard and her own personal task force, she had no choice but to move on. It wasn't going to make it any easier thinking about it all the time, and besides, the frustration from the work helped her forget just for a moment.

The doors to the room swung open, and with it came a slightly more cheery Celestia who had a relieved look on her face. "I finally know what to do Luna! I have an idea on how to rescue Applebloom."

Luna, despite her being done with the human, had to play intrested so as to not give away any suspicion. "What is it sister?" She said, standing up from the throne and walking down its steps.

"We can hire a skilled band of mercenaries that we could send after Applebloom, retrieve her and deal with Aran should he pose too much of a threat. And the best part of it I wouldn’t risk starting a war or risking the lives of my guards.” She jolted up waiting for her sister to give a response. Luna was frozen for the moment, she did think it was a good idea that would minimize damage, but mercenaries only care about the money and could abandon it should they deem it to hard. “Well? What do you think?” Celestia asked, hoping that her sister would reassure her that she was making the right choice.

Luna looked up at her sister again, finally knowing what to say. “I believe that is the best course of action, but a group like that will need someone to make sure that their priorities are clear. I recommend we let Captain Shining Armor come along for this mission. Afterall, twice now he has survived Aran’s assault.”

Celestia paused as the possibility of losing another guard came up again. But this time the cost wouldn't be so heavy, though Celestia appreciated her guards, and her captains over the millennia, Shining Armor was also Twilight’s brother which meant that if he would die, she could lose her connection with the elements. But if he would be assigned just as a witness, it would remove the risk out of the equation. “Its a plan, but I will only allow him to go if he volunteers too. Afterall, I don’t want order my guards to forfeit their life, or else I wouldn't be any better than Aran.”

Author's Note:

The summer is halfway through and once again another chapter is released. not a very interesting chapter, but hey. if everything was action, it would undermine its value. Stay tuned for what's coming next.

P.S I still need another editor for the story. If you're interested PM me

Next: Chapter 9 Chilling Winds.