• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 17,735 Views, 844 Comments

Not What I had Expected - Frosthowl



My name is Aran, and I have lived in Equestria for almost a year now. I don't remember how I arrived to Equestria, but I can never forgett what happened when I arrived. living dissection, Betrayal of trust, Speciesism and a general hatred towar

  • ...
91
 844
 17,735

Chapter 3 Wolfbait

I found myself in a white room with medical equipment everywhere. I could see a heart monitor set up, along with some sort of gas container set nearby, most likely containing anesthesia. "Hello?" I called out, confused. The heart rate monitor started to increase in its pace as I began to panic. “Can anyone hear me!?” I cried out. I started scanning the room again and at that point I realized why I couldn’t move. The bright light from the surgery table had initially blinded me, but now I saw that I was strapped to the table by some sort of glowing restraints.

“What is…” My eyes couldn’t comprehend how I was being held down by nothing. But hands down the most terrifying—the most horrific—thing I’ve ever seen or experienced in my life… As I leaned my head a bit upwards I saw...red...Everywhere! My entire body started to give off this excruciating shock which was my entire core being reacting to my opened stomach. You could see all of it. My ribs…my intestines…and my heart. “No...No...This can’t be real...What the...” Then everything started to fade to black. I could hear the heart monitor speeding up faster and faster. Everything quickly started to fade to black as my mind just couldn’t comprehend the horror that I had witnessed.


***


Applebloom had been in the company of the human for hours now. She watched as he passed out after stitching himself together. She slowly approached the passed out human and saw how...innocent he looked. The wound had been taken care of, the bleeding had stopped, and she felt an odd sensation towards the exhausted human. She felt sympathy for the poor creature. She looked around in the house and saw it was very depressing. The walls weren’t colored and the floor was poorly constructed. A sudden growling noise started to emanate from the small filly’s stomach.

“I don’t suppose he has any hay?” She said to herself as she started to look around a bit more. The only thing in the house that she had not inspected was what was inside the red bag. However, it was giving off a nauseating stench, so she decided to keep her distance from it. She gave up on the search for food and went back to sitting next to the human. She turned around and saw how he was sleeping like a baby. He seemed so different from when he was awake and fighting the wolf that attacked him. She leaned closer and inspected his open mouth, she saw his sharp canines poking out from his gums. Suddenly, with a low pitched moan, he started to move again. Applebloom saw how his dilated pupils reacted to her.

“Whatever you do...don’t. Kiss. Me.” Applebloom jumped back at this, afraid of what he was going to do to her now that he had woken up. She was still worried that he might use her as living bait. As he stood up again he started to rub his eyes and stretch out his arms and let out a loud cry of pain as he cracked his back. “I haven’t slept that well in ages…” He stopped as he saw that he was still trapped in the house. “Hey kid, do you have a name?”

Applebloom hesitated before answering. “Apple—Applebloom, Mister.” She replied, avoiding eye contact.

“Well Applebloom, it’s time for you to leave. Now!” He said bluntly with a commanding tone. Applebloom was shocked at how quickly he had decided to throw her to the pack of carnivorous canines.

“But...but the...the wolves!” She protested, fearing the pack of timber wolves that were waiting outside.

“Too bad!” He shouted. “Nothing’s changed, you’re still responsible for bringing an entire pack of these things to my doorstep. They’ve learned to keep their distance from me, but you and your unreliable friends, who left you here to rot, led them here with the idea that they would get an easy meal. The only way for me to survive now is to throw you under the bus so I can grab the axe.

Applebloom stopped as he insulted her friends. “Hey! My friends didn’t abandon me!” She protested against the towering human.

“It’s been several hours now and nobody has tried to rescue you! Shit, when I landed in a hot spot, my friends were always ready to put down their lives for me, and vice versa. Those friends of yours turned their backs on you and ran for the hills the as soon as they could.” Applebloom was about to respond to the allegations, but she didn’t, as he was telling the truth. “Now get the fuck out of my house!” I pulled the table off the door and kept pressure on it in case the pacing wolves outside tried to kick it down again.

She made eye contact with her oppressor. “And...and if I dont?”

“I’ll kill you myself!” He said with a colder tone to it, like he really wouldn’t hesitate to.

Applebloom gulped as she took the first few steps to the door. It was either the wolves or the human, and like he said: she had a chance to escape from the wolves, but locked in a house with a 6 foot tall human that was good at his trade, there was no chance to come out of that option alive. Her entire body started to shiver as she stared at the door. She was certain that she would never see her sister or brother again. Tears started to form in her eyes. Maybe the last time ever.

“When I say Go, you run as fast as you can. Remember, you are small and agile, they are fast and vicious...good luck.” Applebloom nodded and gazed back at the door. “3…”

Her heart started to race as she felt an unbearable anxietytwist her tiny little stomach into knots.

“2…”

Sweat started sprinkle from atop her head as she felt a horrible fear tingling in her spine.

“1…”

´´Applejack...´´ She thought, thinking of her big sister one last time, so as to steel her own nerves.



***


“Twilight! When’s the Princess gonna get here?!” Applejack asked for perhaps the umpteenth time. Several hours had already passed by of the mare trotting back and forth. It had taken all of her friends to restrain her from running into the Everfree forest, after Twilight had sent the scroll.

“Calm down Applejack! The Princess promised that she would be here soon.” She replied trying to ease her friend’s anxiety.

“CALM DOWN!? My sister is with that creepy monster lookin’ thing in the forest! How can ya tell me ta calm down!? Its not like you have a little brother or sister who is in danger!” Applejack barked back.

Twilight just stared in silence at her friend, shocked that she would lash out at her like that. “She’s here!” Rainbow cut in and pointed towards the ever-present backdrop of Canterlot castle. Off in the distance approached the growing silhouette of a large flying chariot, followed by another. They quickly descended from the sky to the ground with several golden armored guards along with the Princess and Captain as their passengers.

“Twily!” Shining Armor called out, overjoyed to see his sister again. Twilight quickly ran over to her brother and gave him a big hug. “I’m so glad to see that you’re alright. I came as fast as I could once I heard.”

Twilight’s eyes widened once she realized that she had completely ignored her mentor. She quickly broke the hug and went to approach her with a proper kneeling. Her friends also followed her lead.

Celestia smiled, happy to see her student again. “Forgive me for not coming sooner; I had to call Shining Armor back to Canterlot before I was confident enough to...approach the human. But we must go now. Time is of the essence and we need to find Applebloom.” There were no arguments from any of the Elements. They all gave an understanding nod. “Captain, I want you to lead your battalion into the Everfree forest.”

“Yes, your majesty!” He saluted, he put on his helmet and quickly went over to the pegasai that were free from their respective chariots. “Move out!” The guards formed up into a 5x5 formation, with their Captain leading them at the front. The Elements however, stayed closer to their beloved Princess.

“Now Twilight, could you tell me what the fillies witnessed?” Celestia asked politely as always.

Twilight nodded. “The fillies entered the forest apparently thinking it would be a clever idea to get their cutie marks in...Monster catching. They went in and found the cabin abandoned until he came back and was attacked by a wolf.”

Celestia’s Facial expression changed from calm and pleasant to worried. “I see...and you suspect that he might be holding Applebloom captive?”

Twilight nodded again. “Princess, this ...thing has taken several lives without remorse, it’s responsible for making the forest’s wildlife move away from their natural habitats… out of fear. I have no doubt that the creature is probably planning to eat Applebloom.”

“What about the wolf?” Celestia added.

“Huh?” Twilight stammered

“You said he was attacked by a wolf?”

“Yes, I did.” She replied.

“Don’t you think something may have happened that could change your hypothesis…that this whole thing could be a big misunderstanding?”

Twilight shook her head. “The timberwolves’ population has increased due to him killing all the manticores and using a cockatrice to destroy the sleeping dragon in the forest. He is a ruthless being unlike anything Equestria has witnessed, and aren’t you forgetting he did the unthinkable...He killed 5 guards when he escaped from the Canterlot dungeon...what if that was my brother? Forgive me your highness but the chances of that thing being beaten by a mere timber wolf is quite improbable.”

“Improbable, but not impossible…” Celestia muttered to herself.



***


“Go!” The door swung open and Applebloom sprinted out as fast as she could. She turned right and decided to use the open space that was available to her. The wolves were already on her tail, snapping at her tail which was flapping behind her as she galloped as fast her legs could carry. ´´Think, I have to find a way to escape them!´´ She thought desperately. Ahead of her, she could see the husk of a tree with its insides hollowed out due to the rot. Acting quickly, she ran towards it. She could hear the wolves howling behind her and trying to bite her tail. ´´Don’t look back!´´ She kept running with her eyes ahead and saw that she was almost at her target. She readied herself to drop her head low and gallop through the carcass of the fallen tree. She could feel the impact on the tree as two of the wolves collided straight ahead with it and breaking themselves into a pile of sticks. However she did not stop. Inside, she could see one wolf that was still on her tail and was barking furiously at the little filly. She only had a couple of seconds to think before the rest of the pack would catch up. The wolf was sticking its muzzle in the hollow tree trying to reach its prey, sap from its mouth spraying against Applebloom’s face.

Applebloom was about to leave and go out the other side, but to her misfortune, another wolf had blocked her only exit. Was this it for her? She looked around to see if there were any weak spots from the inside that she could target so she could force her way out, but no such luck. Instead she found something near the opening which she had came from. It looked like a spear that had been shrunken down and had feathers in the bottom. She slowly approached it and saw dried blood at the end of it. She remembered how she saw the human with two of these back in the cabin but was it used to harm other animals? She thought about it and she came to the conclusion that she wasn't going to die here...not like this. With a determined fire burning in her eyes, she picked up the bloodied arrow and carefully approached the timberwolf that had its head lodged within the the tree. Her heart raced as she was slowly crept closer and closer. The timber wolf began to thrash more and more, seeing his prey so close to it, yet out of reach of its maw of splinters was sending it into a frenzy.

She closed her eyes and with a quick jab of her head, the arrow stabbed the wolf in its jaw. Making it jump back and run away in pain. Applebloom saw her chance and started running again, with more and more adrenaline pumping through her body. She was about to outrun the pack until a single wolf jumped out of a bush right in front of her, making her stop right in her tracks and slip on her back. She was done for. She closed her eyes and waited for the pain to arrive.

The wolf jumped up, but was stopped before its back paws could leave the ground. A high pitched cry could be heard that howled out through the entire forest. Applebloom was still too terrified to open her eyes.

“It’s alright kid, it can’t hurt you anymore.” The familiar voice of the human came.

Applebloom slowly opened her eyes to see the wolf head still facing her, but without its glowing green eyes. She looked up to see that it was the human that was keeping its head in the air with its decapitated body lying on the ground. Applebloom quickly jumped up and hugged the human’s leg.

“Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!” She cried out. “It was so scary! I almost...I almost…” Still shocked and scared out of her wits, Applebloom clung even tighter to the leg.

“Get the fuck off me!” He started shaking his leg in hopes of jostling the filly off. He did finally manage to loosen her grip and she flew a few feet to the side. In confusion with tears in her eyes she looked up again. “I didn’t do this for you! I personally wouldn’t mind just killing you and using your hide for my collection of animal skins that I am turning into a blanket and your meat as enough food to last me a week!” He said coldly. “However if I did that, your precious Princess would come after me and I don’t feel like taking on the entire Canterlot Royal Guard...again. And if you did die here, they would automatically put the blame on me like always!” He quickly picked up the filly from the ground and started making his way to the most annoying place in the world, only second to Canterlot...Ponyville.



***


Eventually I came out of the forest. It had been several weeks since I last set my eyes on Ponyville. You see, my cabin is on the other side of the forest where the strongest predators lurk, and with me as the crown jewel predator, nopony would bother me...I was mistaken as anyone can clearly see. I went up the final hill and saw what was in the field with me. As expected, Princess Celestia had brought along her guards to subdue me. I approached the massive group and saw that my favorite buddy in the whole world, Shining Armor was also present.

“Applejack!” Applebloom called out. I saw how the orange one with blond hair was being restrained by her friends from running up to me.

“You tarnit pink skinned monster! If ya hurt a single hair on my little sister’s head I’m going to buck you ta-” She was interrupted by an even louder voice.

“SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!” I shouted out with as much power that my throat could exhale out. the guards aimed their spears at me from a distance. The group of local ponies were as quiet mice and they dared not move. “Long time no see Celestia! How has your sister’s horn been treating your ass?”

Celestia didn't look amused at all, she was a lot more stable than her sister. “A pleasure to see you too Aran. I take it you’ve had a long day today?” She asked rhetorically.

“Actually its been one of the calmer ones.” I commented with a smug look on my face. “Pleasantries aside, today, this little rascal and her friends, broke into my house and invaded my part of the forest! And not only that, they were also responsible for drawing a pack of timberwolves to my house which is completely unacceptable.”

“Oh come on! How is that her fault!” The blue one protested, looking like she was about to barrel into me.

“If any pony comes to my part of the forest, they have to go through timber wolf territory, and with three fillies leading the way to my house. You can see why it’s taken me a couple of hours to get rid of this mess that they created.”

“What happened after you encountered the timber wolves?” Celestia asked taking a few steps closer.

“I was caught off-guard and next thing I know, a whole pack of wolves had surrounded my house, so I had to barricade the door from keeping them from coming in, and since I was such a genius to leave my axe outside and with a bleeding wound just waiting to kill me I had to bide my time until they dropped their guard, then I used the filly as bait to lure the wolves away from my axe and kill them one by one...it was worth the wait.”

“That’s it!” the blue pegasus flew towards me, I dropped the axe and Applebloom on the ground as I braced myself for contact. She was going to fly kick right into me, but I used her own speed against her and threw her to the ground and returned the favor with a punch to the face, knocking her out.

“YOU LITTLE PIECE OF SHIT!” I yelled out loud, as I lifted her from the ground and threw her back to her friends. Fortunately for her, the purple one caught her mid air with her magic. I picked up Applebloom who didn't leave my side, for reasons I do not know. “And now I have a few demands before handing over the filly. She cost me time, money and blood and I didn't keep her safe out of the goodness of my heart!”

“Very well, I guess it’s the least we can do for going through the trouble of saving one of my subjects. What is it that you want?”

“I want a magically tempered axe, a barrel of clean drinkable water and last but not least, a sleeping bag, fitting my size.”

“Sleeping bag?” She asked, confused to why I would want such a random item.

“Unlike some royalty, I sleep on a wooden bed with no sheets, pillows, or blankets. I’m freezing to death every night and I can say my temper would be slightly better if I could get some actual sleep...that’s it.”

“Very well, I will have my guards come and bring you your desired items, now hand over the child!”

I put my hand around Applebloom’s neck as I held her high for the princess to see. “Oh no! You know that I don’t trust anyone, and if you try to take her from me with magic, the question comes down to who is faster, me or your horn? Remember, I can snap her neck like a chicken.”

I saw how Celestia was thinking carefully what her next move should be. Even if she did manage to save the filly, who’s to say that I wouldn’t retaliate? I saw how she closed her eyes and took a deep breath in submission. “Very well, but you give me your word that the filly will remain unharmed!”

“What!? Princess, how can you allow—”

“Deal!” I responded, interrupting the unicorn captain. “You have 2 hours to gather the items and meet me at my cabin, I will negotiate with the timberwolves to make sure they won’t interfere with your escort.” And with those words, I made my way back to the dark forest, with the filly and my dull axe in my arms.



***



Somewhere in the shadows, two dark fur coated pegasi emerged out of the trees and quickly flew back to the very border off the eastern side of Ponyville.

“Well? What did you find out!?” Luna demanded of her bat guards.

One of them, a light figured female guard stepped up to respond. “We found out that he is currently holding the filly hostage in exchange for a magically enchanted axe, a barrel of fresh water and a sleeping bag. Your sister has agreed to grant him his demands in hopes that he will keep the filly safe from harm until their arrival.”

The male one now stepped in to speak. “Your Highness, we can deal with this petty human ourselves, we could ambush him at his most vulnerable time...his sleep. We can just sneak in and slit his throat by the time he wakes from the shock, he’d already by choking on his own blood.”

A smile crept onto Luna’s face as she thought of a different way to finally get rid of the human once and for all with as little fuss as possible. “If you’d assassinate him, my sister would surely not take kindly to this, but I have a better idea.” She watched as the two solar guards made their way to the nearest water hose to fill up a barrel with water. “Shadow, Tempest, I have another assignment for the two of you!”

Author's Note:

3 chapters in and Aran is already getting himself into trouble. What will come next? Only way to find out is to like and favorite the story.

P.S: I was surprised by how many people took the time to read it within the first two days. I am also humbled and shocked by the amount of fave's the story has gotten. As much as I appriciate all the love, I wish I could have more thumbs up. But in conclusion, the story is confirmed to be continued.

Next: Chapter 4 Manhunt