• Published 25th Dec 2013
  • 13,206 Views, 415 Comments

How the Sunset Sparkles - Scipio Smith



Sunset Shimmer moves to Ponyville under the supervision of Twilight Sparkle, and begins to develop feelings for the new princess. Can love triumph over distrust, wrath, ambition and Sunset's past?

  • ...
40
 415
 13,206

And That is Why

Chapter 3

And That is Why

Sunset got up and yawned. It was the end of today's interview with Twilight, and she was keen to get going.

"Well, if that's everything sorted, Twilight Sparkle, I'm gonna go back home and─"

"No," Twilight said.

Sunset blinked. "I'm sorry, what?"

Twilight regarded her evenly, her expression inscrutable. Spike, standing by her side, looked torn between worry and triumph. Twilight closed the book lying open before, the book in which she recorded the details of her interviews with Sunset Shimmer, and probably their other interactions too.

"I don't think that you shutting yourself up in that house all day is doing your attitude any favours," Twilight said firmly. "You don't just have to keep out of trouble, you're also supposed to be changing your ways and so far I'm not seeing much evidence of that. You still look down on other ponies, desire to be seen as better than other ponies around you and have no feeling for anypony but yourself."

"That isn't true," Sunset protested. "I...don't hate having to meet you every day. In some ways I kind of look forward to it."

Twilight's expression did not alter. She continued, "I've arranged for you to spend the morning helping my friend Rarity with her stock taking at Carousel Boutique, and in the afternoon you'll be working for Pinkie Pie at Sugarcube Corner."

"What?" Sunset whined. "But I have my own stuff to work on! I was going to start gathering raw materials today."

"Tough," Twilight said, her voice not unpleasant but not exactly sympathetic either. "Frankly, Sunset Shimmer, I think you should have stayed in that other world and made amends for the things you did there─"

"They would have killed me!"

"You're being melodramatic," Twilight replied. "Since you are here, I have no intention of letting you continue with the same attitudes that you led to you to become so dangerous in that world."

Sunset scowled. "So, what you're saying is, I don't have a choice?"

"No, you don't."

"You're my gaoler then? I jump when you yell?"

"If that is how you want to look at it, then I can't stop you," Twilight said, her voice still calm. "But I prefer to think of it as an intervention."

Sunset stamped her hoof, half turning away from Twilight before she looked back. "Don't you think you're taking a big risk, leaving me alone with your friends like this."

Spike twitched, and Sunset smirked a little. Can't decide whether you want to be gleeful at my humiliation or worried for your Rarity, can you Spike?

"I'm not worried, my friends are stronger than you think," Twilight said, still without any obvious emotion in her voice. She half stood, leaning over the library table. "And besides, I think you're smart enough to realise that if you did do something stupid, then there is no way in Tartarus that I would let you get away with it."

There was such snap in her voice when she spoke, such steel, that Sunset found herself taking an involuntary gulp as she stepped backwards. She covered it with a smile and a dismissive wave of one hoof. "Yeah, yeah, whatever, Princess Twilight, your pals are safe with me. But you can write in that book of yours that I'm doing this under protest."

"You can protest all you like, I don't have to ask your permission," Twilight replied.

Sunset snorted. "No, you don't. See you around, Princess." She turned to go, striding towards the door with heavy, frustrated steps.

"Sunset Shimmer," Twilight called.

Sunset stopped and looked back. "What now?"

"Today will go a lot easier if you go into it with an open mind and an open heart," Twilight said. "And the sooner I see evidence of change, the faster your time will be your own again."

"You mean this isn't a today only thing?" Sunset asked, her eyes widening in horror at the prospect of an endless span of days in servitude stretched out before her, slaving away at the cruel whims of Twilight Sparkle and her friends.

"This will go on as long as I think it needs to go on," Twilight replied implacably. "Now off you go, Rarity is expecting you."

Sunset ground her teeth as she once more turned away and left the confines ─ more confining now than they had been when she came in ─ and slammed the door on her way out.

She muttered under her breath about the unfairness of it all the way to Carousel Boutique, giving several ponies the evil eye as she passed them by. She recognised Lyra Heartstrings from school, and glared at her more than any other pony she saw on the street. I bet she doesn't have to work as anypony's peon because Twilight Sparkle doesn't like her. She's just jealous that I'm going to become more famous than she is.

Sunset arrived at the gleaming exterior of Carousel Boutique, sighed, and decided that there was no point putting off. She pushed open the door, the tingling of a bell heralding her arrival.

"Come in, darling," Rarity trilled, trotting out of one of the back rooms. "Ah, Sunset, dear, so good of you to come. I mentioned to Twilight that I could use some help today and she said that you wouldn't mind lending me a hoof for the morning."

"Is that what she said?" Sunset muttered, her tone just the right side of being surly. She walked closer to Rarity as she said, "So, what is that you need me to do here?"

"Well, the first thing I'd like for you to do is to take inventory, darling," Rarity said, levitating a list on a clipboard over to Sunset. "I know it's important work, but I have some orders to complete so I don't have time to do it myself. This list is all the materials that I should have in stock, so I want you to go through the shop and find out if everything is present and accounted for."

Sunset nodded. It was boring work, but it shouldn't be too difficult. "What if anything isn't here?"

"Then come and talk to me, dear, I might have used it for something and forgotten to note it on the list. It's so hard to remember trifling details like that when one is in the zone, don't you think?"

"I guess," Sunset murmured. It was disconcerting how familiar this was, considering that she had only met this Rarity once before, and briefly at that. The Rarity she knew had been the unofficial queen bee of Canterlot High before Sunset herself arrived, though she did so little with her power and authority that Sunset hadn't seen much wrong with depriving her of it. Rarity hadn't seen it that way, but looking back it had been trifling easy to break her. Rarity, after all, had been hampered by her conception of herself as a classy lady and had behaved accordingly. Sunset, for whom no trick was too dirty and no blow too low, had outmanoeuvred her with ease and socially torn her apart. The moral, as Sunset saw it, was that holding yourself to arbitrary standards was an invitation for others to walk all over you, whatever world you lived in.

Obviously I won't be telling this Rarity all about that. Though I wonder, if I could get her friends on my side, would Twilight go easier on me? She had no illusions about her ability to detach Twilight's friends from her, or make them her own; quite apart from the fact that they would be on their guard against such tactics, it had been hard enough to split up the gang in the other world and she had only managed it by using devices which didn't exist in this world to achieve miscommunication, and, to cap it all, Twilight Sparkle had undone months of hard work in a matter of days. In Equestria, she had no doubt that breaking up this six would be impossible for anything short of a demi-god. And in any case, what would be the point? It would accomplish nothing beyond giving her a moment of vindictive satisfaction, and Sunset would never get anywhere if she allowed herself to wallow in that kind of pettiness.

I am not going to descend into a morass of self-pity about how I could have been a contender if I'd been given a shot, Sunset thought. I'm not going to lash out pathetically because all I can really do is make other ponies as miserable as me. I'm certainly not going to whine about why Celestia didn't love me enough. I think I met that pony once and she was disgusting.

"Sunset?" Rarity said, sounding slightly nervous. "Are you all right? You seemed to get lost in your own world there."

"Right, sorry," Sunset said quickly. "I'll just get started on this list." The sooner I finish, the better.

"Thank you, dear," Rarity said. "Oh, by the way, my sister Sweetie Belle is staying with me while my parents are away, so don't go into her room. She's very conscious of her privacy.

So, Sunset found herself checking bolts of silk, satin and the like. She sorted through crates of gemstones. She checked that there was enough thread, enough needles and enough spare belts for the sewing machine. She knew which was Sweetie Belle's room straight away by the sign on it which said, 'Keep Out! THAT MEANS YOU, RARITY!!' She steered clear of that one. She couldn't imagine that Sweetie Belle was any more controlled or less rambunctious here than she had been in the world beyond the mirror.

Most of the stock was perfectly in order, it was a simple matter of checking items off a list. What was missing either entailed a simple conversation with Rarity or a rather less simple hunt through the organised chaos of her ideas room. It wasn't difficult work, but Sunset was at a loss how this was supposed to teach her respect for others. All it was doing was making her wonder how Rarity managed to make enough money to keep this place profitable.

"Hey, Rarity, can I ask you something?" Sunset asked as she rooted through the cupboards.

"Yes, of course, ask me anything you like," Rarity replied absently, stitching together a blue dress adorned with peacock feathers.

"Would you like to be able to sell your dresses to ponies all over Equestria?"

Rarity looked up, frowning. "Whatever do you mean? I will gladly make dresses for anypony who comes in to my shop no matter where they're from."

Sunset shook her head. "No, you're missing the point. They wouldn't have to come here, you wouldn't have to go to them. Imagine if there was a machine, that you could have in your home, that anypony could have in their home. Now, imagine if ponies could use that magical machine to find this store and look at the dresses you have for sale. Then, with the push of a button, they could order the dress or the suit they want and the magical machine would make sure you got paid. Then all you'd have to do is box up the clothes and fly it to them, and the magical machine would see that they paid for the postage as well."

Rarity's frown deepened. "I don't understand, what do you mean they would see the dresses? If they don't come to see me how would I know what colour would suit them, what style? How would they tell me what they were looking for, and how would I know that that's really what they want?"

"They wouldn't," Sunset explained patiently. "They'd see the clothes that you've already made and that would be it."

"But, I wouldn't even be able to take their measurements to tailor their outfit," Rarity protested.

"But why would you want to waste time with all of that when you don't have to?" Sunset asked. "Just come up with a few designs, make some copies and ship them out the door! Maybe hire an assistant or two to help you churn them out faster."

"Churn them out?" Rarity's eyebrow twitched. "Churn them out? You mean, sell off the peg? Without alterations? My dear Sunset, Carousel Boutique does not sell off the peg! What do you think this is, a department store? Every item I create and sell is tailor made, or at the very least tailor altered, unique couture. Every piece is bespoke, every piece is original and every piece looks fabulous upon the customer because I would never sell anything to anypony who didn't suit it. Even when somepony comes in and wants to buy something I made earlier, the dress chooses the pony not the other way around."

"Okay, I get it, don't let your mane catch fire," Sunset said, rolling her eyes at Rarity's histrionics. "What I don't get is why it has to be that way? Why take so much time and so many wasted pains on one dress like you are now, when you could get a dozen ham-hoofed earth ponies on sewing machines producing cheaper clothes in half the time."

"Because this isn't about money," Rarity made the word sound sordid. "Nor is it about time, or effort. It's about craftsmareship, about experience, most of all it is about the satisfaction of the customer. Do you understand?"

Sunset Shimmer shook her head.

Rarity sighed. Then she frowned at Sunset. "When was the last time you had something tailor made for you, darling?"

"Never," Sunset replied.

"I thought so," Rarity replied, nodding knowingly. "Step onto the podium, Sunset, I'll get my measuring tape."

Sunset climbed up onto the podium in the centre of the boutique, while Rarity buzzed around her, taking her measurements.

"Are there any colours you'd like?" Rarity asked. "How about something to bring out your eyes. You do have lovely eyes, I must say, they appear both blue and green at the same time."

"Colours, um, I dunno," Sunset muttered. Her leather jacket came to mind. "How about black?"

"Black?" Rarity asked in surprise. "But black..." She cocked her head to one side. "Yes, now that you mention it. A coat or jacket, something to go over the blouse. But then how can you wear a jacket with a dress?"

"I'm not looking for a ballgown here," Sunset said quickly. "I've never been much of a girly mare anyway."

"Well, in that case, it should be..." Rarity trailed off, murmuring to herself, before she let out an excited squeal. "Idea! Now stay right where you are Miss Shimmer, you'll see that this will be absolutely stunning."

Sunset watched as Rarity hastily sketched something down on a piece of paper and then got to work, pulling bolts of fabric and gemstones to her from all over the shop by the power of her magic. She worked fast, it was only a little after lunchtime when Sunset stood admiring her reflection in one of Rarity's mirrors.

"This is great," Sunset said. Rarity had, by some magic beyond the power of unicorns, come up with something not a million miles away from the kind of stuff she'd worn in the mirror-world. Her blouse was a light purple, shading into pink, with a fiery red and gold trim around the neckline that matched the colours of her hair. The sleeves were ever so slightly puffed out, though not so much that they would impede the jacket. The skirt was a little more elaborate than Sunset might have chosen for herself, but it felt really soft, probably let her move more easily than the kind of short skirt she'd worn over there, and looking at it, it was growing on her by the second. It consisted of three skirts of different colours, first yellow, then purple, then gold, layered so that only a stripe of the yellow and purple were visible. It covered her cutie mark and then stopped, leaving her legs free.

And the jacket. It wasn't leather of course but it looked great anyway. The cut and design were perfect, and it had tiny emeralds sewn into the lapels amongst the rhinestones to bring out her eyes.

Of course the jacket meant she couldn't wear boots on her forehooves, and boots on her back legs would have looked odd, but Sunset didn't care at this point. She wasn't naked any more! She had clothes and they looked awesome."

"Aww yeah!" Sunset grinned. "I'm back, baby!"

Rarity smiled fondly. "And that, darling, is why."

Sunset looked at her. "Huh?"

"Why I make each item specifically, regardless of how impractical it is," Rarity reminded her. "The look on your face, the look on the faces of each of my customers, makes it worthwhile. After all, if each customer is unique, it only makes sense that what I sell them should be unique as well."

Sunset looked away, back at her reflection. "I..." Her objections remained, but on the other hand, she did really like the way she looked right now. Would she have felt so good wearing something she'd brought off a rack someplace, made by strangers who didn't even know who she was?

No, she wouldn't.

"Yeah, yeah I think I get it now," Sunset murmured. And the weirdest thing was that she meant it. "I can't thank you enough for this, Rarity, you've know idea what this means to me."

Rarity smiled. "Yes I do."

Sunset looked into her eyes, and thought that maybe she did, at that.

"Thanks," she repeated quietly. "Twilight Sparkle is lucky to have you as a friend."

"And well she knows it, too," Rarity replied. "Thank you for help, Sunset, it was most appreciated. Now, I believe Pinkie Pie is expecting you."

"Yep," Sunset confirmed, and found she was not as nervous of it as she had been this morning. Well dressed and once more looking herself, Sunset felt as if she could tackle anything, even Pinkie Pie. She swaggered down the street, daring anypony to look at her in awe. She even started to hum.

Back in black, that's right. Sunset Shimmer has returned.

[ hr ]

The sign said that Sugarcube Corner was closed, but Sunset pushed open the door anyway, and found Pinkie Pie sitting on the floor waiting for her.

"Hey, Sunset!" Pinkie cried excitedly.

"Hey, Pinkie Pie," Sunset replied more coolly, glad that Pinkie hadn't leapt on her while she was wearing her new and only outfit.

"Whatcha wearing?"

"Rarity made it for me this morning, cool, isn't it?" Sunset turned around for Pinkie to admire her new look.

"Hey, that looks like what you used to─"

"Yep, and that's what makes it so cool," Sunset said. "All I need now is a pair of sunglasses. And maybe something to put in my mouth, like a toothpick. Then I'll look cool and awesome."

"But not right now, because we've got some work to do!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed cheerfully.

"Yeah, of course, what is it?" Sunset asked.

"Mr and Mrs Cake have gone out for the day, which is why we're closed, and I've already made the cakes for sale tomorrow. I just need you to clean up around here and make sure the cakes in the oven don't burn while I make sure that the Cakes in the crib don't get up to anything too crazy."

"The cakes in the... oh, right," Sunset said as she spotted the bassinet. She levitated the broom over to herself. "Right then, I'd better get started."

The manual labour was thoughtless, requiring little more than repetitive motion, so it was easy to get to talking. And even though Pinkie Pie had her back to Sunset, her eyes fixed on the pair of incredibly active babies, she still answered any question Sunset asked or statement she made.

"You know the other world, the one you dream about?" Sunset said.

"I sure do," Pinkie replied.

"Do you ever think about it? Other than when you're dreaming?"

Pinkie shrugged. "I guess. Not often though. Even if it is my real life, that doesn't mean I shouldn't live here too, and if it isn't real then obsessing over it would just be silly."

"I guess that makes sense," Sunset said. "But, when you think about it, think about what you've seen, is there ever anything from that world that you think they have better than we have? That they do better than we do?"

"Nope," Pinkie said at once. "I'm happy the way I am right here."

"Really?" Sunset asked, incredulously. "There isn't anything you envy about the other side? Nothing at all?"

"Nope," Pinkie repeated. She twisted her head a little to half look at Sunset. "Why, what do you like better about that other place?"

Sunset shrugged. "Little things, mostly. Cars, computers, cellphones, the music on the other side, they have a good beat over there which we don't. How easy it is to be popular in high school, anypony can climb to the top if they're willing to act the right way, say the right things and─"

"And not be themselves at all?"

Sunset licked her lips, searching for a better way to phrase it. She couldn't. "Yeah, I guess you could say that."

"But isn't it better that here, anypony can be popular by being themselves?"

"Oh, please, I tried being myself and I had to go to another universe to find somepony who liked me. And even he didn't like me that much," Sunset said derisively. "I admit that there are a lot of things wrong with that place: everyone cares far too much about money, nobody respects anyone unless they're stinking rich, once you leave school you have to leave your soul behind - you know, I got the idea to turn all the students into zombies and invade Equestria from the fact that everyone there pretty much gets turned into a zombie anyway by their society, I thought they might as well be useful zombies working towards a purpose."
"There was this guy we had to read in school, who said that the idea society would be one where everypony - everyone - could do whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted to as they had a mind to do it, because they didn't have to worry about starving or making a living. And he thought enough people would love to do the things that need doing that society would still function. Everyone in that world thought he was crazy, but we have that here, more or less. So we can't have gotten it all wrong. Although it still doesn't explain the six of you."
"Huh? What's there to explain about us?" Pinkie asked.

"Why do you do all hold these insignificant jobs?" Sunset asked. "You're heroes. You wield the Elements of Harmony, the strongest magic known to pony kind. You defeated Nightmare Moon. And yet here you are in a Mom and Pop bakery. Applejack breaks her back trying to keep that farm afloat. Twilight Sparkle is an honest to goodness princess and yet she lives in a library nopony ever uses in a town that wouldn't even merit a train station if it wasn't so close to Canterlot. Why bother? Why aren't you doing book tours, or living the high life in Las Pegasus? Why aren't you in Applewood, producing the movie adaptation of your adventures? Why do you sit here doing all this ordinary stuff?"

Pinkie looked confused, as though she didn't understand the question. She frowned, hesitated, then finally she spoke, "Because, we don't enjoy using the Elements of Harmony. It isn't fun, it doesn't make anypony laugh, it isn't what I want to do and I don't think it's what anypony wants to do either. I don't want to be a hero, I don't want to spend my life shooting bad guys in the face with magic and I don't want other ponies to remember me for that either. I want to be remembered for throwing the most awesome parties in Equestria, for making everypony laugh till their sides split, not because of how many bad guys I beat up."
"So I'll use the Elements when I have to do, because there are meanies around who want to make everypony cry and I'm the only pony who can something about that, but I won't make a big thing out of it because my real life, the life I chose, is right here in this Mom and Pop bakery."

[ hr ]

Sunset Shimmer didn't go straight back home after she was finished at Sugarcube Corner. Instead she went back to the library, entering without knocking, to find Twilight Sparkle reading a book by candle light. Spike was nowhere to be seen.

Twilight didn't look. "Ah, Sunset Shimmer, I've been expecting you. Sit down." Sunset didn't move. Twilight continued, "How was your day?"

"This was never about work, was it?" Sunset asked. "You wanted to make me spend time with your friends so that I could talk to them. So that they'd...befriend me."

"Did it work?" Twilight looked up. "Nice clothes."

"Thanks," Sunset said tersely, sitting down. "It was weird."

"Weird how?"

Sunset scrunched up her face. "I don't understand how you can all be so content to be so small."

"We are little ponies," Twilight pointed out.

"You know what I mean," Sunset said forcefully. "Rarity told me that the satisfaction of other ponies is what she lives for. Pinkie Pie told me that she'd rather be remembered as a party animal than as a hero. I don't get how none of you seem to feel any desire to make anything of yourselves, how none of you seem to have any ambition."

"Maybe you should talk to Rainbow Dash," Twilight murmured.

"I especially don't get you," Sunset went on. "I know we didn't cross paths at school that much, but I'd seen you coming."

Twilight looked at her quizzically. "You'd 'seen me coming'?"

"As a rival, a threat," Sunset said. "Everypony had heard of you, the prodigy with a mind like a needle who wasn't going to let anypony stand in her way. The most brilliant unicorn the school had ever seen. The marble pony who never put a hoof out of line. You scared the hay out of me, I thought if I didn't make it while you were still a filly I'd have to work twice as hard just to keep up with you. That's why I pushed Celestia so hard to let me get stronger, faster, because I knew once you caught up I'd be finished. How did a pony like that ever end up in a place like this?"

Twilight took a deep breath. "Well, first of all I'm flattered that you were so impressed with the competition." A slight blush appeared on her cheeks. "But, just because this isn't what I thought I wanted when I was young, doesn't mean it isn't what I needed, or what I wanted all along deep down."
"I never set out to be a hero. I never wanted to save the day. When Equestria needs me I'll be here, but until then, I don't see that I owe this country my whole life, or even my happiness, not even as a princess. The Element of Magic does not define me, any more than my wings or my title. I will live the life I choose."

Twilight leaned forward, staring right into Sunset's eyes. She looked so earnest, so sincere in her desire to help that Sunset wasn't sure what to make of it. "Sunset, I'm not going to stop you working on your computer project, but I will give you some heartfelt advice. Don't be too set on greatness, and don't be too dismissive of a normal life. You may find that fame comes with a pricetag too steep for you to pay."

Sunset was silent for a moment, mulling over what Twilight had said. Surprising, she found that she had a point. Did Princess Celestia have time to just hang out with her friends? Did she have any friends, or was all she had her unending life of service to the land? If she'd known what her life would become, would she have taken the throne and the crown, or would she have turned her back on both and told the ponies to find somepony else while she devoted herself to...whatever it was she did for fun, Sunset had never found out if the princess had any hobbies.

"I...I'll think about it," Sunset replied, surprising even herself by actually meaning it. "But, I learnt something else today as well."

"What?" Twilight asked.

"That if you create something that brings other ponies joy, then you can take joy in that, regardless of whether or not they put you on a pedestal for it," Sunset said. "So, if it's all the same to you, I'm going to continue my work for now."

Twilight said, "Fair enough, just so long as you don't think it makes you better than anypony else."

Sunset waited for her to say something else. Nothing else was forthcoming.

Sunset said, "So, am I working for you again tomorrow?"

"No," Twilight said. "But that doesn't mean that this will never happen again, so don't book out your calendar too far ahead."

Sunset laughed. "There isn't much chance of that."

Author's Note:

A little self-referential bit in there for those who've read my earlier work. Hopefully you'll all consider this chapter to contain the stuff you seemed to like about the last chapter but without all of the self-indulgence.