• Published 25th Dec 2013
  • 2,250 Views, 14 Comments

Hearths Warming Saviour - Pr1me Sh0ck



Fluttershy, saved by a strange being and a changeling learns their story and the gift of a second chance.

  • ...
1
 14
 2,250

Gifts from a Ghost

Author's Note:

EDITED: as of 2nd OCtober 2014

First off, I'm a bad person for leaving you all without an epilogue for so long and for that I apologise. Secondly I won't be adding any more to this story, I also will not be creating a spin-off based off of these events. Thirdly, this now means that I can go back Chronicles of No One now that I can wash my hands of this story. Lastly I have started a new job/internship that requires a full time working week. as such I may not have the time or the energy to update CONO regularly. I thank you the viewers for your nagging me to finish this chapter, your patience for the story and the reviews you all give it. Thank you all.

“Cheers,” another round of toasts called.

Kalek leant back into the couch, one hand clasped around mug of cider, the other absently stroking through Fluttershy’s pink mane. The butter Pegasus nestled closer into Kalek’s chest, nuzzling under his chin affectionately.

“I kid you not, to save his life, I had to transform into a dragon.” Reaver recounted, “Granted it was a small dragon, and the fire was just an illusion, but still it scared off that group of Timberwolves.”

“Weren’t you scared darling?” Rarity asked, intrigue heavy in her voice.

“No, well maybe a little, but-,” he started to reply.

“Pfft, if I were there I would’ve taken them all out in like ten seconds flat,” Rainbow Dash boasted.

“Ah simmer down, Ahm tryin to hear tha fella’s story, an your interuptin aint helpin,” Applejack chided.

“-anyway, so I was a little scared, but I saved his life. Still that’s not the funny part. He takes one look at me, and completely freaks out, and I mean flips it. He took off running, and didn’t stop until he reached the cave.”

“So as it turns out,” Reaver continued, “I hadn’t fully explained my changeling capabilities, and he had never seen a dragon before, scared the fella witless. We laughed about it afterwards though.”

A chorus of laughter emanated from the mares that surrounded the changeling.

“Oh that simply was a marvellous story, daring rescue, harrowing escape, comical ending, you wouldn’t happen to have any more?” Rarity asked, thoroughly enthralled in the tales Reaver had to offer.

“Well I do have a couple, but I wouldn’t mind hearing about what has happened the past couple of years. Living in a cave has left us quite detached from the world.”

Rarity opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted by a knock at the door. “Who could that be, Flutteryshy dear, were you expecting anypony else?”

Fluttershy shook her head in response.

“I’ll get it,” Twilight Sparkle shouted across the room, bounding from the far corner, and away from where Pinkie Pie had trapped her into a game of pin the tail. She opened the door just slightly to see who it was. “SHINING,” she shouted, throwing the door open, and embracing the stallion on the other side.

The three mares that were being regaled by Reaver’s stories turned, smiling at Twilight’s good fortune to see her brother on Hearths Warming. Their smiles quickly faltered as they realised their current company and the precipice on which they teetered.

“Well are you going to let us freeze out here or will you let us in?” Shining Armour asked.

“Us?” Twilight questioned. Shining stepped to the side, allowing Cadance to take centre stage. “CADANCE,” Twilight once more shouted. Reaver cringed at the name, his actions not going unnoticed by Kalek who quickly withdrew from Fluttershy to stand unseen in a darkened corner of the room.

Twilight rushed out into the wintery night to embrace her brother and stepsister.

“Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake,” she began to chant with Cadance, “Clap your hooves and do a little shake.”

Laughter echoed into the night as the two Princesses revelled in their childish antics. “Come in, come in,” Twilight ushered the two into the cottage, “What are you guys doing here?”

“I’m happy to see you too Twilly,” Shining answered sarcastically, “Aren’t I allowed to surprise my sister on Hearths Warming anymore?”

“You can always surprise me,” Twilight responded happily as she led the two into main room, “You remember the girls.”

Each of the elements gave a small smile, a warm greeting and a wave as Twilight cast her hoof over them. Shining and Cadance each gave their salutations in return. “We also have a couple of other surprise guests, Silence, who has disappeared somewhere and Reaver.”

“Changeling,” Shining growled as his eyes landed on the changeling surrounded by three mares. His eyes narrowed as he stalked forward, “Just what are you doing here?” he demanded, charging his horn with a spell.

Reaver stumbled over his words, mumbling his own hellos and trying to make himself look smaller than he truly was. The mares around him parted slightly to avoid being struck by any wayward spell. Reaver shrunk smaller as Shining stalked closer still. Shining gave a fierce roar as he lunged, his spell firing at the same time.

Kalek’s hands swept forward quickly, in one movement he knocked the unicorns head upwards, the discharged spell launching into a hanging birdhouse. His second motion caught the stallion’s neck in his hand, applying enough pressure to halt the stallion. Kalek’s third action brought a hidden blade up to the stallion’s horn, the cool flat of the steel resting against the fluted spire.

Breaths were caught in the throats of everyone present at the stalemate no one dared speak a word as eyes darted around. Reaver had clenched himself into a ball awaiting the strike of the spell, he cracked open an eye when he felt nothing and breathed a short sigh of relief that Kalek had once again saved his life.

“What are you all doing?” Fluttershy softly exclaimed. Immediately all eyes were on her form on the couch. She cringed at the intense scrutiny, but steeled herself kept going. “Shining Armour, Reaver is my guest and I will not have you attacking my guests. Silence, Shining is a friend, although I understand you were protecting yours I would be grateful for him to be in one piece.”

The stallion and the human looked at Fluttershy quizzically but neither of them yielded their positions.

“I want to make sure that bloody changeling hasn’t hypnotised the elements,” Shining snarled.

A low grumble rumbled forth from Kalek’s jaws. His lips turned up in a snarl showing off impressive canines.

“Please,” Fluttershy pleaded, “Don’t fight.”

“Please Shining,” Twilight added, “I’m not under hypnosis and I’ve already checked to make sure the others aren’t either.”

“Still not convinced,” Shining responded in a show to continue the stalemate.

“Silence, let him go,” Reaver finally said with a sigh.

Kalek looked at the changeling in disbelief, not a moment ago this stallion had attempted to attack his friend and now he was supposed to just let him go. Kalek shook his head in defiance, a solid no to the request.

“Darling, let it go,” Princess Cadance trotted over to her husband and put a hoof over his shoulder, her eyes pleading with him, “We’ve done enough damage already; we should give him the benefit of the doubt.”

“But his friend, this ‘creature’” Shining spat in response, “Attacked me, a Prince, the former Captain of the Guard and I won’t back down.”

“Please Shiny, he was just protecting his friend, as I’m sure you would have done also. Just let it go, do it for me.”

Shining Armour sighed in response, he weighed his options over in his head and came to realise that he had jumped to conclusions. His eyes flicked up drawing Kalek’s attention, they softened portraying not the hardness from before but guilt and sadness. Kalek blinked at the dramatic change, his hand on the stallions throat relaxed and dropped away.

Shining dropped the spell he was casting, the aura around his horn fading quickly. In response Kalek withdrew the knife from against the stallion’s horn and slipped it back into his boot. The two turned to face each other, Reaver stood beside Kalek and Princess Cadance sidled further against her husband.

With a shaky voice Twilight introduced the four of them, “Silence, Reaver, meet my brother Prince Shining Armour, former Captain of the Guard, and his wife Princess Cadance, crown of the Crystal Empire.”

Silence reigned once more among the four beings standing before each other. Kalek took the initiative first bowing to Shining armour before saluting him. His time in the military taught him to give respect to those stationed above you, no matter how much of an arse they were. Shining saluted back to the biped before holding a hoof out for hoofbump, instead what he got was a hand clasping around his hoof and shaking it respectable strength.

Reaver, standing before Princess Cadance, simply bowed deeply, “I’m sorry,” was all he said.

“As am I,” Cadance responded in a whisper, she quickly pulled the changeling up to his hooves before embrace him with a one hoofed hug. Her words and actions surprised Reaver greatly, for a moment he could not comprehend why the princess would apologize to him, embrace him, or feed him so readily.

The partners then swapped, Kalek knelt down on one knee and held out an open palm to which Cadance placed her hoof. He placed a gentle kiss upon her hoof, eliciting the smallest of giggles, an accompanying blush from the Princess, and a wanting sigh from Rarity.

Reaver bowed down to the Prince who in return held out a hoof for a friendly hoof bump. A soft clack later and small smiles formed on their respective muzzles and faces.

“Now that the pleasantries are out of the way, how has everypony been?” Cadance asked warmly her gaze drifting across the room. Her sight landed on Fluttershy’s bandaged form, “Oh sweetie what happened to you?” she asked motherly cantering over to Fluttershy’s side and draping a wing across her form.

“Oh, um, nothing really,” Fluttershy mumbled softly, her gaze fell low and her mane covered her muzzle.

“Can’t be nothing,” Cadance insisted, “It looks like you’ve been attacked by a Timberwolf.”

Fluttershy cringed at the mention, not wanting to retell the memories just yet. Reaver quickly came to her rescue, “If the amount of wood Silence brought back was any indication it was likely a pack.” Kalek nodded in agreement, he held up six fingers to show how many.

“Six,” Shining coughed in disbelief, the cider he was drinking finding a quick escape back into his mug, “I have a hard time believing that.”

Kalek sat on the couch next to Fluttershy as he began to retell his tale. He held up a finger for one, pointed to his own canines and then to the bandage covering Fluttershy’s rear. He then pulled out his mini crossbow, pointing to the tip of the bolt and to his jaw again before clasping his hands and letting them fall apart.

Reaver looked knowingly, the others just sat in confusion, “If I understand him correctly one wolf bit Fluttershy on the leg, Silence got a bolt off striking the jaw and causing is body to shatter.”

Kalek nodded before miming further. He held up three fingers, then laid both his hands upon each other and sprung them upwards into a basket.

“Okay three wolves were caught in a trap he set, that would explain the stock of wood he brought home.”

Kalek nodded once more, finally he held up two fingers before bringing out a homemade Molotov.

“Easy, that there is Dendra Sap in a clay sphere, the tinder on top is lit, the bomb is thrown. He says he took out two more wolves with this, probably before heading home.”

“Dendra sap,” Twilight repeated, “Isn’t that-.”

“Flammable,” Reaver finished, “Yes we use it as a defence against Timberwolves, Manticores and the like.”

“Wait you two live in the Everfree Forest?” Cadance questioned, concern written into her features.

Before Reaver could answer another knock was heard at the door, “Honestly now can’t we get just a moment of peace to ourselves on Hearths Warming?” Rarity complained as she opened the door to scold the interrupter.

Rarity’s tirade quickly ended as the door swung open and she bowed deep in reverence to the two alicorns smirking on the front step.

“No need for that,” Princess Celestia said softly. She placed a hoof under Rarity’s chin and lifted her to a standing position. “May we come in?” she directed towards Fluttershy. A quick nod later and the solar and lunar diarchs stepped over the threshold taking in the occupants of the room.

“I hope we aren’t too late for the festivities?” Celestia asked absently as she surveyed the room. Her neutral expression never faltered as her eyes swept over Kalek and Reaver. Her sister Luna however had an entirely different reaction.

Luna smiled fondly at the sight of the changeling mingling with the mares. Yet as her gaze fell upon Kalek she gasped in shock, charged her horn and teleported away.

“Well I suppose that’s not the worst reaction somepony has had to seeing Silence,” Reaver joked to break the tension. A quick flick across the ears from Kalek was all he received in response.

“Don’t let her reaction dampen the party,” Celestia commented. Her inquisitive eyes searched around the room once more. “Now how have you all been, tell me all about your travels. But first, where might the cider be?” she asked, bringing a smirk and a chuckle from everypony present. “I’m not joking, where is the cider?”


Luna dashed from the cottage with determination etched across her face. She broke into a gallop, running for Canterlot, charging her horn with enough magic to perform the long distance teleport needed. A brilliant flash later and she appeared in the hallway of the castle leading to her chambers.

The Nocturne guards stationed at her door jumped at the sudden appearance before being pancaked against the door they were guarding; Luna forgetting to cancel her forward momentum.

“A THOUSAND APOLOGIES DEAR GUARD,” Luna bellowed as she scrambled to her hooves and wrenched the door open. She ran over to her antiquated chest of drawers and started throwing them open, strewing the contents all over the floor.

“… Is everything alright your majesty?” The first guard to recover called out as he limped over to her highness.

“Yes yes,” Luna hastily replied while throwing one of the smaller drawers in the air, “We’re just searching for a gift for somepony. We know it’s here somewhere,” she muttered out loud.

A pair of deep red silk panties dropped down onto the inquiring guards muzzle, he crossed his eyes at the piece of clothing a promptly blushed like a school filly. The guard’s partner drew up next to him, snickering at his reaction.

“AHA, here it is,” Luna cried in triumph after several minutes of fruitless searching an unassuming, brown, paper wrapped box held aloft in her magic. She tucked the present under her wing and charged her horn once more, teleporting in a second brilliant flash back to the cottage of the party.

The two guards stood perplexed at what had just happened. Their stupor only lasting a few moments before the first guard tucked the panties into a hidden pocket in his armour. His partner raised her eyebrow at him in question. “Finders keepers,” The guard muttered, “this is going in my collection.”

“It’s your funeral,” was all that his partner had to say as they closed the doors and returned to their posts.

“Completely worth it.”


A knock at Fluttershy’s cottage door once more interrupted Reaver as he regaled their new friends with stories of their survival in the Everfree. “It’s open, come on in,” Fluttershy called out, the cider imbibed had invigorated her speech with confidence and a normal volume.

The door was slowly nudged open and Luna poked her head inside and offering a meek smile. “Our apologies for running off like that,” she began to explain as she trotted happily into the cottage, “But we saw your new friends and remembered a promise we had made.”

Luna walked up to the biped slowly, her horn lighting up and levitating the wrapped box from under her wing. Kalek’s immediate reaction was to flinch and adjust his weight in preparation for an attack, a motion that did not go unnoticed by the ponies, causing them to tense up.

Luna’s expression grew distant as she began to explain. “An unusual friend once asked us to complete a task. He requested that should we come across a strange creature, that he be notified of its existence. The creature he described walked upon two legs, but had no tail for balance. Had a paw of five digits with no claws, and a flat face that was not of the cats, or dogs, or any known sentient of Equestria. And he asked that should such a creature be found and show sapience, that if he was not able to greet it that this gift be given as a test.”

Luna held the package out to the creature before her, Kalek slowly extended his hand, and by extension his arm, to take the gift. He took slow, purposeful paces towards the couch where Fluttershy was still resting, albeit resting intoxicated, but resting none the less. As he sat down he looked at her with curiosity in his eyes, his quizzical look was turned to Reaver as if to ask permission.

“Well go on, open your Hearths Warming present you big fool,” Reaver almost shouted, “I’m sure we’re all dying to know what the present is.”

Ever so carefully Kalek undid the knot of the twine holding the unassuming wrapping paper together. With just as much care he unwrapped his present letting the paper fall to the floor. In his hands he held an ornate stone box, carved from a most exquisite piece of polished obsidian. His fingers traced the scrolls and etchings as he admired the craftsmanship of the item. Of particular significance was the smooth depression in the top of the box, a perfect indent of a human handprint.

Kalek looked up to the faces of the others in the room, all eyes were focussed intensely on him, Pinkie Pie was even more curious, keeping her mouth shut but visibly vibrating on the spot. With a simple shrug he placed his hand over the groove.

All of a sudden the etchings on the box lit up a brilliant red, and similarly coloured ribbons of energy wrapped around Kalek’s extremities and tightened, holding them into the handprint indent. A deep and quite obviously synthesized voice began speaking.

“Artefact, Pandora’s Box, activated, commencing primary scans.”

The ten ponies and one changeling looked confused for a moment, not recognising the name or its possible significance. Kalek on the other hand was wide eyed and scared; his memories of ancient Greek myth were enough to start ringing some alarm bells.

“Primary scans complete; hand print indicates human specimen 81% probability, beginning secondary scans.”

Ten small needles simultaneously pierced his fingers and palm drawing blood within the device, Kalek flinching at the action. Immediately the ponies responded with both Twilight and Luna trying to grasp the box in their magic in an attempt to help.

“I can’t seem to grasp it,” Twilight cried in surprise, “It’s like the box doesn’t exist.”

“Secondary scans completed; blood analysis indicates human male specimen 98% probability, apologies for the inconvenience. Beginning tertiary scan.”

As the needles retracted back into the box a red wave washed over Kalek’s hand, repairing the damage from the previous scan. The ribbons of energy holding his hand to the box faded and Kalek withdrew his hand. A small whine began to emanate from the artefact, growing in pitch. Concurrently the deep red light within the patterns on the box began to glow with a renewed intensity. In an instant the energy that the box produced was released, a sphere of red pulse out from the box and encompassed the room. The energy passed through everyone that was gathered and stopped only upon reaching a wall of the house.

“Tertiary scan completed; pulse field identifies ten equines matching the known thaumic signatures of the six Elements of Harmony, three Alicorn Princesses and one unicorn consort. Addendum, unknown changeling signature present. Please identify yourself.”

All the ponies turned their heads towards Reaver who shrank back a little under their gazes. Shining Armour stared at the hologram, perturbed at its definition of his job.

“I… I’m Reaver, a drone of Queen Chrysalis’s Hive.” Reaver responded with uncertainty.

“Matching thaumic signature to drone records… entry found. Reaver, drone, last known status missing in action following the Canterlot Operation, hive link was not re-established following the operation’s success. Addendum, hive link reconnection is unavailable at this current time.”

“Wha… What was that, why can I not re-establish a link, and what do you mean we succeeded in the operation? We failed the invasion and were forcibly ejected from the city.” Reaver challenged the elements of harmony looked equally perplexed.

“Error, data is unavailable; Canterlot Operation flagged as successful, hive link re-establishment flagged as unavailable. No more information is available. Note; gathered equines and changeling marked as safe for viewing the following message. Addendum, the following is a pre-recorded dynamic message from the entity referred to locally as ‘No One’, message as follows.”

The deep red light emanating from the etchings peaked in intensity before flashing down to nothing. A thin beam of the energy shot up from the middle of the box stopping a metre above its surface. Slowly a crystal of the same red began to form, crystalizing out the air in the form that the princesses, elements and ex-captain recognized as No One in the garb he most often wore.

As the crystal rendered its final features of a cowl drawn back off the head, the avatar began to move, imitating turning in a circle to view everyone gathered.

“Humble greetings to all those gathered,” the avatar exclaimed, it turned its head to face Luna specifically and gave a quick wink before turning back to face Kalek and Reaver. “To begin with this message, and associated virtual intelligence has a limited capacity to answer questions and requests for data. Its purpose is informational and advisory to the entity or entities designated humans.”

“Wait how is it able to do that,” Twilight exclaimed, “That technology is so more advanced than anything of ours.”

The avatar of No One turned to Twilight, is face showing contempt for the interruptive pony, “This device is one of several attempts by the changeling collective to apply the highly specific field of thaumo-electronics to a real world device. The reason they were successful is because they are so much more advanced than you.”

The avatar faced Kalek and continued, “My apologies for not being able to meet you in person, it appears as though I am currently indisposed of. Wide band scans of my own thaumic signature reveals high probability that I have suffered massive trauma. This has likely lead to the activation of changeling biological functions in an effort to remove evidence. This is most unfortunate, however the scans have also picked up infrequent distorted pings matching my signature. Do not give up hope on our meeting.”

“First off some explanations, it is highly likely that your appearance here is due to casting of a particular spell. Additionally it is unlikely that the unicorn who cast the spell is alive at the moment, either many centuries past or not even born. Thus far efforts to trace the spell have had very limited success.”

“Secondly if you have the ability to talk and listen, you will be able to communicate fairly easily with the pony population at the least. Magic tends to permeate everything, especially the equine lands, making communication and intent almost universal. Written language is different; it is unlikely to translate so easily. Intent and translations can be skewed within writing, and as such it is highly likely you will not be able to read.”

“Finally a place for you to call home. I offer you suggestions only, and you need not follow any one of them. The ponies are not all peaceful and can be, unknowingly, extremely racist and prejudiced. This can drive them to fanatical acts of violence; however the likely hood is low. Additionally they are herbivores and unlikely to be able to accommodate your diet.”

“The warrens of the Dogs connect to Equestria through a land bridge to the south and east. They thrive in the wastelands digging for gems. Located above them in a mix of jungles and deserts are the Cats, and above them is the Gryphon Empire. I suggest against living in any of these three lands, their occupants are far more dangerous than the ponies and extremely hostile to outsiders. I may or may not have had a part in their disposition.”

“To the north and west of Equestria lies the Minotaur lands, they will… well they will worship you, for religious reasons. Not to any kind of extreme fanaticism but if will be unnerving and you will be expected to hold a high level of decorum. To the far south is the desert known as the Badlands, and beyond that The Great Ocean. I cannot tell you how to find them, but if you can the Changelings will likely accept you wholly for who you are, no strings attached. Far south and west will find you in the jungles, the civilization that once thrived there is no more and their final occupants have move on to help found The Union.”

“The Union is my last suggestion, a conglomeration of those displaced, lost, or looking for more, and a centre of advancement in all fields. It is my highest suggestion that you travel to the Union, the path will be arduous but the reward will be great. One final option, if you don’t wish to move too far, there is an embassy, a house I built bordering the Everfree and Ponyville. I would ask that you take care of it and guide those who seek The Union, further instructions would be available for you inside.”

“Internal indicators tell me that this device is about to shut down for recharging. This device is to be kept safe by Luna, however I leave you with a final gift. A calling card, whatever you choose if you need help or want out, use it and The Union will come for you. It will also act as a key to the features of the embassy. The gift will be keyed to your biometrics, only you will be able to use it. And with this I must bid you all farewell, remember human, good or bad this is your choice and there is no wrong answer.”

With that the box shut off, the crystal rendering of No One shattered outward covering all in a fine layer of crystalline dust. A slot deposited a thin card no bigger than a lighter on Kalek’s lap before closing and the light that once emanated from the intricate carvings dulled and died.

After a long silence Reaver finally spoke, “What are you going to do?”

Kalek stood and put the card into his breast pocket; he gave a deep sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose as he wandered over to the table that held the keg of cider. He poured a mug of the delicious brew and stood there, back to his audience as he contemplated No One’s words. Now Kalek was not a simple soldier back on Earth, nor was he a genius, but he was still a thinker, lauded for his ability think outside an entirely different box.

A light went off in his head and he turned, facing the ponies all of whom had expression of confusion etched into their faces. His smile grew as he brought the mug up to his lips, his thoughts centred on something No One had said, about magic and communication. He took a big drink, keeping eye contact with all and thought; and to the surprise of all the ponies there they heard.

‘I’m going to enjoy Christmas.’

Comments ( 6 )

You're missing a ton of commas. It's a bit jarring. That's your main grammatical mistake.

Otherwise, keep it up m8! I would enjoy hearing of the adventures of Kalek/Silence, but if you choose not to continue them, that's up to you.

5029004

In the big block of exposition from the hologram I'm guessing? I'll go back over and re-edit it. And I may have been a bit preemptive ditching Kalek, what I mean to say is that his story will chill for a while so I can work on my other story.

5029397 well, not just there: in any sentence where you go from past to present tense, a comma must divide the two parts. I could toss some examples out there, if you want

My senses of sequels are tingling! :pinkiegasp:

5030013 Yeah look send me a quick PM with some examples. I'm quite amateurish with my grammar at times and I reckon this comma problem might be a bit bigger than just one chapter.

Login or register to comment