• Published 25th Dec 2013
  • 444 Views, 20 Comments

Contracted - Slywolf930



Marx, a mercenary since he was young, finds himself hunting six ponies. Even professionals make mistakes. Marx's problem, he has no room for mistakes.

  • ...
3
 20
 444

Collateral

The Cafe had seen little visitors today. The only visitors they'd had, were guards that would come from break duty, usually when they'd had a rough day. Then, there were the regulars. They came in at the same time, usually together, one, or the other. Today, they were both seated in the corner, talking to each other quietly.

The waitress was glad for the quiet. It helped her mood. Today though, she could tell something was wrong. The regulars seemed upset. The quiet talking was almost menacing as they looked to have bags under their eyes. Now, they were waiting impatiently, like they expected something to happen.

The doors opened, showing a badly injured, and limping pony. He held his head high, and she supposed he was recovering from an injury.

"Hello sir, how are you today? Can I take your order?" The waitress asked as politely as she could.

"Coffee... black... please," The pony said, heading towards the regulars.

"Coming right up," The waitress said, turning to make the coffee.

Marx approached the regulars. Something about them just felt right that they had hired him. When they squinted their eyes, he could just tell that they knew.

"Sit," They said, none too politely.

Marx did what he was told, saying thanks when given his coffee. He was about to pay for it, but the employers stopped him.

"Charge it to us, we insist," The one on the left said. He had an orange mane that moved everytime his hand moved. The other, a black mane in the same style, although his mane was motionless even when he moved his head quickly to pull out the bits. The waitress accepted the bits and left them alone.

"So... what brings you here, Shadow?" The one on the left said. He said his name almost sinister.

"There was something I wanted to say..." Marx said, unsure how to explain that he didn't just mess up. He messed up big time.

"It's about the contract... isn't it?" The one on the right said.

Mark bit his lip. They knew. They confirmed his fears by pulling out a sheet of paper. Sliding it so he could see it, Marx read the title.
The CRG?

Marx continued.
The disappearance of this group is under question. If you have any information on the group's wereabouts, please contact the nearest guard.

"As you can tell, we found out already," The one on the left said.

"We've contacted your superiors, and there will be reprecussions. Becuase of you, we'll need to go into hiding. Hell, we already have. Is there anything you have to say to yourself?" The one on the right said.

"Have you read... the Collateral Clause...?" Marx asked.

"Of course, we agreed to it after all," He responded.

"Then you know... what'll happen?" Marx asked.

"You have our Apologies, but we can not ignore the fact that the Canterlot Redguard are now targets. Thus, we suggest that you get going. It will get dark soon," The one on the left said.

Marx nodded his understanding before downing the coffee in seconds. He headed for the doors.

"Tell anypony else about us, and you'll regret it," Marx heard.

"I already do..." Marx said, before opening the doors and running off in anger.

"So... that went well," The one on the left said.

"Shut up," The other said.
-------------

Marx entered the clearing of the place he once called home. Walking forward, it no longer seemed like a home, but a fortress. Marx walked to the door, pushing it open. He faced the guard, not meeting his eyes.

"Marx, I'm sorry," The guard said.

"Yeah..." Marx said, before walking down the steps to O.L.'s office.

"Marx..." O.L. said, when Marx entered his room.

"I know, the Collateral Clause," Marx said.

"Well... then I guess you know what happens now. You have twenty four hours... don't regret anything until then," O.L. said.

"Thanks... for everything, Overlord," Marx said, a faint smile on his face.

"No problem... Shadow," Overlord said, smiling.

Marx left the room, not yet done with his farewells. Walking down the steps, he went to his room. He never decorated it, nor did he sleep there after he'd gone on jobs regularly. Now, he grabbed the extra bag he kept there and filled it with the only possessions he had that he cared about.

A crystal sword, green tinted with ruby gems in the handle. The signing bonus for joining the mercenaries as the founder. Obtained via job for the Gryphon kingdom in taking care of a rogue pony in Griffmeny. He never used it. It was more sentimental than useful. He just liked the way it looked, and he wouldn't use it for a job without a sheath.

Marx put the solid gold necklace afterwards. It was his sisters... thinking about it gave him painful memories, but he still had it to remember her by. Again, painful memories. After that, he put the old slingshot in the bag and zipped it up. Memories... so painful.

Marx made sure he grabbed what he needed before taking his bag of personal bits. Next, he walked out the room, not looking back for fear of feelings coming back. He walked back up the steps. But he made one more stop. Turning on to the right floor, he went up to Screw's workshop. Marx knocked on the door.

"Marx..." Screw responded, sadness evident in his voice.

"Screw..." Marx said.

Screw opened the door, his mane back to its usual color, and his lab coat gone. He stood, smiling at Marx.

"Listen..." Marx tried to explain.

"I won't forget you," Screw said, giving Marx a big hug.

"Right to the point, it's not like you," Marx said, returning the hug.

"I cleaned up to say good bye, hoped you didn't mind," Screw said.

"I don't want to sound like a bad person, but your WingRazor trap sure does work," Marx said, showing him the bandage.

"I-I'm so sorry," Screw said.

"It's alright, just be careful, okay?" Marx said.

"Here, I'll make it up to you," Screw said.

"You know I can't buy anything from you anymore," Marx said.

"Don't worry, it's free. Think of it as a good bye gift," Screw said, pulling out a bag of his own.

"What's... inside?" Marx asked, the bag bulging from the contents.

"It's a surprise," Screw said.

Marx lifted the bag, easily putting it on his back.

"It's light," Marx said.

"Now get going, before I change my mind," Screw said, tears starting to form in his eyes.

"If you cry, you might set off a bomb," Marx said, joking. He bumped hooves before turning and going back up the stairs. For the first time, he was glad there was so many stairs. It gave him time to force down the tears.

Marx reached floor 0. He looked around, frowning. Around the room, there were mercenary ponies. He knew them all, that was the worst part. They were looking at him, some were smiling, others with sad faces. He saw Rogue, in the corner of the room, not looking at him.

"Marx... would you complete the Collateral Clause...." O.L. said, holding out a sheet of paper. Marx grabbed the paper, walking over to the once empty wanted board.
-------------
34. The Collateral Clause
------------

Marx lifted the paper, ready to pin it down.
-----------
To ensure the promises made by this contract by both the employer and employee, they must both put themselves up as collateral.
-----------

Marx put the nail to hang the paper on the board.
-----------
The employer agrees to pay the amount shown after completion, or else their head will be put up as a bounty.
-----------

Marx stepped back to take a better look.
-----------
The employee will not break the contract, or else they will be fired as well as...
-----------

Marx read aloud the paper. "Shadow..."
-----------
...placed on the number one most wanted list in The Organization.
-----------

"Reward... One million bits," Marx said.
-----------
The Collateral Clause ensures that neither party will break the contract.
-----------

"Marx... you have twenty three more hours, goodbye," O.L. said, having the guard open the door.
----------
Nopony has survived the Collateral Clause.
-----------

Marx looked to those around him. "If you plan to hunt me down," Marx pointed at the paper. "You'd better be ready to die," Marx said. He looked to Rogue before running out into the forest.

Author's Note:

Shorter Chapter, but this was to emphasize the contract's importance. Hope you can forgive me. Now, with nowhere to go, what will Marx do? How long can he survive the Collateral Clause? (Kids, don't sign contracts you haven't read. Especially from people in suits...) Been busy lately, I'll try to get the next chapter out within the week.

Next Time: Calm before the Storm, sounds soothing right? Well it won’t be.