• Published 14th Mar 2012
  • 11,722 Views, 661 Comments

Flight 19 Act I - ty500600



Flight 19 disappears and has no idea where they are.

  • ...
25
 661
 11,722

Chapter 1: The Perfect Storm

Authors' Note: Would just like everyone to know that GA is from Canada so you might notice a slight divergence of the English language from the first chapter. Anyways, enjoy everyone!


Captain George Stivers awoke from his less than graceful landing in field under the mountain. He opened his eyes and immediately shut them again as they were barraged with light. Oh God, what did I do to spite you?

He chuckled humorlessly as he opened his eyes again, this time forcing them to stay open. The nose of his aircraft was mostly buried in the dirt, but the glass of his cockpit was still intact. He looked to his left and saw the mountain looming over a field of what should have been a great expanse of ocean, but was instead grass. To his right was the start of a coniferous forest.

Stivers looked behind himself to find his crew -Rob Gruebel and Robert Gallivan- Unconscious. Opening the cockpit he continued to observe his surroundings. Near the edge of the mountain, a great billowing smoky mass jutted from the ground. It was the plane he followed in, piloted by Captain Powers. No way anyone survived that wreck. What happened?

As he leapt from his seat at the helm, he noticed the tail of his avenger had come off and was now lying some twenty feet behind them. That might not buff out... At least we made it though.

The sound of someone coughing shook him from his thoughts. Searching around to find the source, suspecting it was one of his men, revealed it to be Lieutenant Taylor, emerging from his plane, fire extinguisher in hand. The plane itself seemed to have made a fine landing, but the crew compartment was alive in flames. Taylor was doing his best to put them out.

Realizing the gravity of the situation, Stivers grabbed his own fire extinguisher from under his seat and made a dash to help Taylor rescue the pilots within. “Shit, I’m coming Taylor!” Stivers yelled, panicking at the sight. The inferno was still eating at the interior of the plane when Stivers arrived, so he put his extinguisher to use, the off white powder coating everything inside the ship, doing its best to suffocate the fire.

As Taylor’s extinguisher ran out, he reached into the compartment and grabbed both Devlin and Parpart, hauling them out of the craft. From Stivers' position on the opposite side of he aircraft, he couldn’t see their condition, so he kept on the fire.

After what seemed like an eternity of anticipation, the fire was out, and Taylor was distraught. Both of the men from his plane were dead. Third degree burns covered most of their body, and their clothes were covered in the sticky white substance produced from the powder mixing with the oxygen.

The sight gave Stivers mixed emotions; sure he didn’t know the men that well, but they were still good people. “Shit. What happened?”

Taylor gave a resigned sigh and stood from his gruesome duty. “There was a fire, as you can see. I think some of that lightning caused the electronic stuff to malfunction.”

“Lighting? I didn’t see any lightning. What the hell happened here?”

“I don’t know Stivers. I saw some explosions, and I followed you in. There was too much cloud cover to see anything else.”

“Where’s 81 and 3? You think they made it through?”

Taylor’s expression was answer enough for Stivers. “Whatever it was that forced us down, probably took them too. How’s your crew?”

“Alive. Speaking of which, we should check on Powers’ bird. See if...” Stivers knew no one was walking away from that crash. Nose first into anything going at highway speeds was bad enough, let alone three times that.

“Stivers, I know what you’re thinking, and it wasn’t your fault.”

“I know it ain’t my fault. I’ve seen death enough before to know that.”

“Okay, just saying. I mean, dying because of a crash is nothing like dying to a bullet wound.”

“Taylor, death is death. Doesn’t matter how. Now let’s go see if we can stop anyone else from dying.” Stivers grabbed the fire extinguisher and started at a jog for the crashed plane, hoping against hope that someone in the crew made it.

The crashed plane’s canopy was entirely shattered and the front half of the plane was doing it’s best impression of a pancake. Both of the wings had snapped at the planes body

As they approached the burning wreck, Stivers started hitting the fire where he could with what was left of his fire extinguisher. Taylor’s voice made him pause in his fire fighting efforts however. “Holy shit Stivers, Thompson is alive!”

Stivers did a double take, thinking it was impossible to live from something like this. He ran to Taylor's position, seeing a still breathing Thompson amongst the wreckage. Still breathing was however, all that could be said about him. He had burns on a large portion of his face and his left arm was bent at a very unnatural angle. There were also small pieces of shrapnel embedded in his chest. Stivers immediately ran back to his plane to get his emergency medical kit.

As Stivers approached the plane, he heard coughing coming from inside. Stivers ignored it for the time being, as finding the medkit was his priority.

Rob Gruebel’s coughing had slowed by the time Stivers found the kit. “Stivers, is that you?” Gruebel asked uncertainly. “The fuck happened?”

Stivers’ reply was slow to come however as he took a couple seconds to think about the situation. “We crashed, Devlin and Parpart are dead, and I need to go save Thompson’s life.”

Gruebel stared blankly as Stivers ran back to the smouldering wreck of plane 36.

When Stivers arrived, he immediately got to work on identifying Thompson’s more serious wounds as Taylor left to go find the other two crew members. By the time Stivers had prioritized Thompson’s wounds, Gruebel had ran up to him to offer his assistance.

“Gallivan is still alive. Thanks for checking on us by the way.”

“No problem.” Stivers was focusing on the wounded man in front of him, removing Thompson’s flight jacket. A large portion of the metal came out as the flight jacket was removed, causing some of the wounds to tear. “Help me out Gruebel, will yah?”

Gruebel removed a set of forceps as Stivers twisted Thompson`s arm back into place. Stivers set the bone and Gruebel started removing the smaller pieces of shrapnel. When that was out of the way, Gruebel grabbed the twine, a pair of scissors and a needle. Stivers washed the burn wounds with antiseptic and covered them with gauze, obscuring half of Thompson`s face and a good portion of both of his arms and legs. When Gruebel had finished stitching Thompson`s torso, he applied the antiseptic and the gauze. The whole procedue was done in silence and professionalism as both had served as field medics before.

“Taylor, anyone else?” Stivers asked as a grim faced Taylor approached the scene.

“No one. How’s Thompson?” The pain in Taylor’s voice was evident.

“He’s stable. We should make camp now before it gets dark.” Gruebel was quick to inform Taylor as the sun reached its zenith. “I’ll go and wake up Gallivan.”

“Taylor, let’s set up the tents. When Gruebel gets back, we’ll go and get some firewood from the forest.”

When Gruebel and Gallivan had made their way to the makeshift tents, they offered to gather their fallen comrades, leaving Stivers and Taylor to go hunt for wood. This was nothing new to Stivers as he used to go camping quite a bit before he joined the military. As he was picking up some detritus from a fallen tree, Taylor was busy organizing his thoughts. The sun had lowered to the point in the sky where the stars were just barely visible.

“Taylor, will you get your head out of the clouds and help me?” Taylor shook his head and took Stivers’ armful of wood, starting to make his way to back to camp.

Stivers was about to bend back over to collect more wood when he was cut off by Taylor. “Stivers, did you see that?”

“See what, Taylor?” Stiver’s annoyance was palpable.

“I... I don’t know. I just think I saw something in the woods. You think there are any bears nearby?” Taylor seemed genuinely worried.

“Well Taylor, if there is a bear, I guess I’ll just have to wrestle it into submission.”

“Funny Stivers, I’m being serious. What if there is something dangerous out there?”

“You aren’t much of an outdoors man are you? Still got your sidearm?” Taylor gave a confirmatory nod. “Good. Just shoot it then.” Stivers picked up the last of his armful of wood and started back to camp with Taylor. “Come on Taylor, let’s—”

“Stivers, Look at the sky.” Taylor’s command was so sudden that Stivers did so without hesitation.

“Okay... now what Taylor?”

“Stivers, I don’t think were near America... I don’t even think were in the same hemisphere...”

“Now what would make you think that?” Stivers couldn’t figure out what about the sky would really be able to tell him that until he noticed a distinct absence of any familiar constellations. “Oh. I see.”

“Yah, that. What are we supposed to do now? We couldn’t have flown all the way to any form of hostile country, cause we defeated them all... But if we aren’t in America...”

“Taylor, let’s concentrate on survival for now. Assume we’re in hostile territory.”

“Right. So this is how it feels to be a grunt.”

“Whatever flyboy.”

When they arrived back at camp, They were met by Gallivan patrolling the area.

“Hey guys. Gruebel is watching over Thompson. Let’s get that fire started cause it’s gonna get cold.”

Stivers and Taylor exchanged glances before Stivers decided that he should be the one to inform Gallivan of their predicament.

“Gallivan... We aren’t having that fire.”

“What, why not?”

“We’re in another country. Assume it’s hostile.” Stivers and Taylor dropped their arm fulls of wood beside one of the two tents.

“Shit. Alright, Who’s first on watch?”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Spike, we need to alert the princesses of this.” Twilight had been going through her vast knowledge base of the cosmos and nothing she could think of, nor the books in her collection could shed light on what had happened.

“Twilight, it’s two in the morning.” Came spikes Indignant reply. “Can’t it wait?”

“No spike, this could be a cosmic emergency!” Twilight was shouting now as she paced back and forth in her room.

“Fine, I’ll send a letter, but after that, I’m going to bed.” Spike was up far past his bed time and his grumpiness was proof that he was still a baby.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Dear Princess Celestia,

I was practicing my nightly ritual of sky watching this night and to my utmost disappointment, the clouds had not been cleared away by the pegasi this night. It was in these clouds, however, that I saw something strange. After scanning for several minutes for any break in the clouds, I had discovered several flashing lights that were both green and red in colour. After tracking these lights for a few moments did something else happen. Right where the lights had been before, several bright orange flashes of light appeared in the night sky. They almost seemed like explosions, but I cannot be sure. The lights came from over the Everfree forest, near the mountain ranges. I am bringing this to your attention with the hopes that you may be able to explain to me what I saw in Luna’s sky.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle”

“Well, Luna,” Celestia and Luna were reading Twilight’s current correspondence with disdain. “You are the expert of the night. What do you say it is?”

“I don’t know Sister... But I say we exercise caution.”

“Agreed. Sergeant?” Celestia remained passive as she called for one of the loyal guards who was stationed at the door.

The door peaked open and the face of one of her guards poked through the door. “Yes, Milady?” His tone was even and formal.

“Inform the Captain that he is to send a detachment to ponyville. They are to perform reconnaissance on an area in the Everfree Forest. The area will be detailed by my student, Twilight Sparkle. The Captain is to bring the Elements of Harmony only if they are needed. Understood?”

The Sergeant took the information in stride as he saluted. “Yes Ma’am.” He stated as he turned and left the room.

“So Sister, do you think it might be...” as Luna drifted off, Celestia picked up the conversation.

“Yes Luna. I fear it is.”