• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 2,016 Views, 19 Comments

Frivolity - Scramblers and Shadows



Pinkie Pie has had a crush on Rarity for many months. After discovering Rarity feels the same way, she finds herself tagging along on a business trip to Manehattan.

  • ...
6
 19
 2,016

Lunch

Frivolity

Lunch

Pinkie, sitting outside Carousel Boutique the following day, adjusted her hat.

It had been a busy morning. Waking early and, despite the twinge of a hangover, setting about baking right away. Then explaining to Mrs Cake why the icing said what did. Then rooting through her hidey holes for an outfit. Then, finally coming out here so Rarity wouldn't have to walk to Sugarcube Corner alone.

Pinkie had decided to give her dinner suit another spin. It really was a very nice outfit, fitting perfectly, dark and smooth, and despite her antics, it was without crease or crumple. Pinkie didn't know much about elegance, but if anything was elegant, this was. And, most importantly, it was the sort of thing Rarity liked.

Unless she objected to wearing the same outfit twice. Or perhaps Pinkie had messed up some detail, or was wearing it out of season, whatever that meant. But surely Rarity wouldn't mind, would she?

Pinkie was considering hiding it behind the nearest tree when Rarity, wearing a powder-blue ruffled dress, opened the door. Pinkie put on her biggest nothing's-wrong grin.

“Hi Rarity! Hi hi hi! Are you ready? Are you? Today is going to be so fun, I can tell. I bet Twilight will have a banner and everything!”

“Good morning. Oh my, you look spectacular! You're here to … escort me to lunch?”

Pinkie nodded.

“How delightful! Well, then, lead the way.”

Rarity offered her hoof, and, suppressing a squee, Pinkie took it, leading her out. When Rarity had closed the door she peered closely at Pinkie's chest, brow ever so slightly furrowed. Pinkie quailed inside but kept smiling.

“Hold still for just one moment,” said Rarity. Horn glowing, she tugged at Pinkie's bow tie. “There we go! Perfect. Come along, then, we mustn't keep the others waiting.”

Chiding aside, Rarity seemed happy enough to trot along at a leisurely pace while Pinkie pronked beside – and occasionally around – her.

“Oh, they're going to be so pleased for you!” said Pinkie. “I can tell! They'll be all 'woo-hoo Rarity' and then I will be all like 'woo-hoo Rarity' too. Oh, and then they'll all be pleased for us too!” A thought hit her. She froze. “They will, won't they?”

Rarity took her hoof. “Sweetheart, why ever wouldn't they be pleased for us?”

“'Cause what if they think I'm stealing you from them? Or that we'll spend too much time together and forget about them? Or or or or – what about Spike? I don't want to upset him. Or what if –”

“Pinkie, I assure you we've nothing to worry about. These are our friends, remember. I've got myself flustered more often than I care to think about, worrying how they might look upon me and my behaviour. And every time they have shown me how silly I was being. I know I can rely on my friends not to judge me for things like who I choose to court. And I'm sure you know that too.” Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Normally I'm the one worrying what other ponies will think of me, and you're the one blithely dancing through social interactions. Are you sure there's nothing else troubling you?”

“Oh, I don't mind if anypony thinks I'm silly,” explained Pinkie. “'Cause I am silly! But this is super-duper important, and I don't want them to think I'm being silly about it.” She smiled a little. “Also I don't want to upset anypony … I want to make ponies smile, not make them frown.”

Rarity leant forward and gave Pinkie a quick kiss on the nose. “Together, we will make them smile. I am absolutely sure of it.”

“And Spike?”

“Spike is very sweet, but I have no romantic interest in him. He had to learn that eventually. And I suppose sooner is better than later. Perhaps after this he can move his attentions elsewhere.” Rarity's face lit up. “Ooh! Perhaps I could see if there's any spark between him and Sweetie Belle! Wouldn't that be adorable? And much better than having to worry about her vanishing behind bushes with colts in a few years.”

“Oh, uh, yeah … that would be better for her,” said Pinkie.

“I knew you'd agree! Now come along, we're almost late as it is!”

They started walking again.

“Rares?” Pinkie spoke more softly than usual.

“Yes?”

“I know lots about being friends and making friends because I've done it so much, but this, us … I don't know so much. And I really really want it to work and make us happy.”

“I do too, my dear. And it may not always be easy, but I assure that together we shall chart a course.”

They continued onwards.

“There you are, Pinkie! I thought you'd be here already,” said Twilight as Pinkie entered Sugarcube Corner. She was sat at a table alongside Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy. Above them, hung from the rafters, was a furled banner, its message hidden.

Rarity walked in after Pinkie. “Hello, girls,” she announced, beaming. “How delightful to see you all.” She and Pinkie sat beside one another at the table. “Well, isn't this lovely?”

“Well, hurry up. Don't keep us waiting!” said Rainbow Dash. “What did they say?”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “Give her a chance,” she said to Dash.

Ignoring them, Twilight leaned forward. “Well?” she said to Rarity.

Rarity pulled the telegram from out from within her dress and brandished it. “I –” The other ponies all went quiet “ – was accepted! I'll be liaising with Flaxseed Co-operative ”

“That's great news! I knew it!” Twilight smiled, and with her aura unfurled the banner above them to reveal CONGRATULATIONS, RARITY in perfectly even letters.

“Well done, sugarcube!”

“Awesome!”

“I'm so happy for you.”

Pinkie grinned at Rarity. “See? I said it, didn't I? Woo-hoo Rarity!”

She pulled Rarity in for a hug, and Rarity turned and kissed her lightly. A fraction of a second of shock, of realising this was in front of their friends, then Pinkie kissed her back. When Pinkie turned back, it was to wide eyes, but not shocked expressions.

“I suppose there is something else for me to announce,” said Rarity.

“Hah, I knew it!” said Dash. “I saw that coming. Didn't I say it?”

Rarity's eyes narrowed. “Excuse me?”

Pleased as punch that nopony was objecting, Pinkie almost leapt from her seat. “Oh, Dashie, you knew? How clever! You should be the fortune teller while I'm away. I –” A look from Rarity stopped her.

“Only 'cause Fluttershy told you,” said Applejack. “Ain't that right?”

Fluttershy nodded. “Yeah.” She studied the floor. “Sorry, Rarity. I just thought about how often you mentioned Pinkie Pie during our spa visits, and … ”

“Oh, darling, you've nothing to be sorry about,” said Rarity. Looking at Dash: “Some of us, however, could stand to be a little more tactful when telling others how much we know.”

Twilight cleared her throat. “Well, then, I guess double congratulations are in order!” After which, she turned to Fluttershy and in a voice Pinkie could barely hear said, “You never told me.”

Mrs Cake appeared beside the table before Fluttershy could say anything. “Hello, dears!” she said. “Are you ready for your food now? Oh, before you order too much, I have a rather large surprise for dessert, courtesy of Pinkie Pie!”

“Aw, it's nothing much,” said Pinkie.

They all ordered. “Only three cupcakes, Pinkie?” asked Mrs. Cake. “My, at this rate you'll be on a diet by the time you get back from Manehattan.”

“Ooh, maybe,” said Pinkie. “That might be fun!”

Mrs. Cake smiled at her and swished away to the kitchen.

“You're going to Manehattan too?” Twilight asked.

“Yep,” said Pinkie. “With Rarity!”

“Yeah, I gathered that. Won't she be kind of busy?”

“Oh, don't worry, darling,” said Rarity. “It'll be fine. No trouble at all.”

“I'm gonna be her guide! It'll be so fun!” said Pinkie.

Twilight's smile faltered. “Her guide? Are you sure that's a good idea?”

“What ever do you mean?” asked Rarity, leaning forward, eyes narrowed.

“I … uh … I mean … well ...”

“I think what Twilight's tryin' to get at it that bein' Rarity's guide is gonna be a lot of responsibility,” said Applejack. “There are gonna be lots of stuck-up ponies there who mightn't take well to your … normal ways of behavin'. You gotta be ready to handle it, Pinkie.”

“Exactly,” said Twilight.

Pinkie smiled. “Oh, I am! I'm totally ready. I really am!” She turned to Rarity. “Am I?”

“Yes, sweetheart.” Rarity brushed a hoof very gently along Pinkie's jawline. “I have complete confidence in you. You are going to be fine, I'm sure.” She glanced at Applejack. “Though 'stuck-up' is hardly the term I'd use. To be sure, there are high class ponies who are perhaps … less sympathetic than they ought to be, but that's no reason to sling abusive epithets around.”

“Epi-whats now?”

Pinkie stopped paying attention to the back-and-forth. Rarity's hoof was still stroking her jaw, which was much more fun.

A few minutes later, Mrs Cake arrived with the food, and they discussed lighter subjects while they ate. Taking the plates away, she shot a grin at Pinkie. Throat tight, Pinkie grinned back.

“Dessert is coming right up!” Mrs Cake told them, and vanished into the kitchen.

She returned with a very large cake – the product of Pinkie's morning labour. Butterscotch filling and vanilla frosting, topped with cream and almonds and cherries and slices of banana. And text in purple icing:

Congratulations Rarity!
(I love you)
(Do you like it?)

Shivering, Pinkie turned to Rarity. “Do you?” she asked.

A blur of motion, and Pinkie found herself swaddled in Rarity's forelegs, her face pressed up against Rarity's chest. “Of course I do!”


The train clicker-clacked down the track, carriage swaying from side to side. Pinkie sat beside Rarity, while Gummy, mouth clamped to her mane and tail pointing straight upwards, swung back and forth in time with the carriage like a scaled metronome.

Every time she thought about the situation – She was with Rarity! Going to Manehatten! – her heart fluttered and she wanted to jump up and leap around the cabin. She refrained, though. The fourteenth time had earned her some gentle chiding about composure, so now she contented herself with wriggling occasionally, which Rarity seemed to appreciate.

It had felt like all of Ponyville had been at the station to see them off. Well, she had invited all of Ponyville for a goodbye party after all. All their friends had been supportive – Twilight had even helped her organise the party so she could concentrate on packing. And then, as the party drew to a close in the dimming afternoon, the train had arrived. The engineer wished he could have joined in – Pinkie had asked him – but he had a timetable to keep. Everything was perfect. Almost.

Rarity cooed through the bars of the cat carrier: “Come on, sweetheart. Cheer up for mommy, okay?” Opalescence grumbled in response and, tail raised, turned to point her rear at the bars.

Pinkie stifled a giggle.

Rarity sighed and turned to Pinkie. “I don't know what has got into her today. Normally she's such a good girl when it comes to travelling.”

“It's okay!” said Pinkie. “Soon we'll be in Manehattan and she can have loads of fun running about and playing with balls of string in our hotel!” She frowned. “There are gonna be balls of string in out hotel room, right?”

“I don't think they come with the furniture, no,” said Rarity.

“Oh,” said Pinkie. Pouting, she looked down.

“But I'm sure they shall get some if I ask nicely at the front desk.” Rarity leaned across and kissed Pinkie's nose. “Don't worry, my love. I'm going to do my best to make this perfect for both of us.”

Pinkie smiled and put her head against Rarity's shoulder. Then she jumped up and bounded across the cabin. Gummy opened his mouth halfway through her motion, fell from her mane, and landed on Opalescence's carrier, eliciting a hiss from within. Pinkie looked out the window. Sleepers and trees flickered past.

“We're still moving,” she told Rarity.

Rarity nodded.

“What's the hotel gonna be like?” asked Pinkie, turning from the window. “I mean, apart from not having free string for everypony.”

“We had a very generous budget for accommodation.” said Rarity. Her eyes began to shine with that glimmer that always came whenever she was talking about something glamorous. “I managed to get us two rooms in l'Hôtel Attraction!” She paused to think. “Or perhaps it's just Hotel Attraction, without the accent. Either way, it is the most splendid example of earth pony architecture right now.”

“Oh, okay. Sounds fun!” said Pinkie.

“You … have heard it, haven't you?”

Pinkie searched her memory. “Um …”

Smiling, Rarity shook her head. “It's a wonderful building. Flowing, whimsical, colourful, and oh-so-beautiful, no matter what those stuffy old Canterlot critics say. And it looks like nothing else in Manehattan – it's complete unique!” She stood and trotted across to the window beside Pinkie. “Rather like you, really,” she said with a contented sigh. “Oh, sweetheart, there are many beautiful things in Equestria, and I'm going to show them all to you.” She nuzzled Pinkie. “I'm so happy to have you here with me.”

Pinkie luxuriated in the contact. Rarity's perfume smelt of roses today, and being near her made Pinkie's heart feel like melted chocolate. (She made a mental note to eat some melted chocolate as soon as she could when they got to Manehattan.) Still, there was something she need to ask.

“Hey, Rares?”

“What is it, sweetheart?”

Pinkie chewed her lip. “Why do you like me?”

She felt Rarity stiffen, then pull back. “What do you mean? Why wouldn't I like you?”

“I'm not, like, a prince or super famous or one of those really fancy-looking ponies you see pictures of in the newspaper.”

Rarity's expression softened. “Ah,” she said. “I see. Well, let me assure you, Pinkie, you needn't worry about a thing. You don't need to be heir to anything. You're sweet and generous and uncomplicated. Does that answer you question?”

Pinkie nodded.

“Good. Now come here.”

When Pinkie looked out of the window, she could see the tallest spires and and ornamentations of Manehatten's skyline peeping up over the horizon.

Author's Note:

Been a while, ain't it? Life is such a pest sometimes. Worry not, though. I've got another chapter ready to go next month, and chapter four is on its way.