• Published 21st Apr 2012
  • 5,008 Views, 197 Comments

The Beginning of the End - CyclicStoryWriter



"We wanted a new beginning, but we created an end" The stories of a soldier who escaped the "Endwar"

  • ...
20
 197
 5,008

Unexpected Guests

The Beginning of the End

Unexpected Guests

Before Spike went to sleep, he decided that what happened today should be made known to the Princesses. Pulling out a piece of paper he began to write:


Dear Princess Celestia and Princess Luna,

Twilight was injured today in her studies at the Ancient Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters. She was saved by some unknown creatures called humans. Everything seems fine here and we are camped out in the throne room of the castle. Tomorrow we should be heading back to town.


Your faithful student's assistant. Spike


The fact that he had done something that Twilight would’ve asked for before she actually asked it felt good. He sent the message out and fell asleep next to the fire.

====================

Sergi opened his eyes. 'Damn, I feel asleep during the night. Good thing none of those creatures came up here looking for a fight.' He thought as he cleared his head and looked around. Everyone was still asleep and the sun had not risen yet. Noticing something odd, he walked over to the purple unicorn that was called Twilight Sparkle. All the others he had vaguely remembered as well. As he got closer to Twilight Sparkle he noticed that the bandages were damp. Quickly thinking this was from the weather outside he noticed it had a tint of red. 'She must’ve reopened the wound sometime last night.'

Quietly jogging over to the medical bag, Sergi rummaged through the bag and did not see anything left that could be of use. Remembering that one of the ponies had a medical bag as well, he went over to the group of ponies and one dragon. There it lay next to the yellow pegasus. 'What was her name? I think it was Fluttershy.' Pushing the thought aside he opened the bag and rummaged through. Most of these things would work great for smaller cuts but not for the ones that graced her friends’ side. It looked like another supply run would be needed.
He quickly chiseled out a message out on a pillar. Feeling that it might be passed along, Sergi embedded his Kukrhi into the pillar. Checking over the message, he felt that it would suffice. Before doing anything else, he wanted to be able to take down anything that would come at him this time. Picking up his PPSH, he unclipped the empty drum and placed a fresh drum with a piece of red tape across one side into the slot. From the inside of the large backpack he pulled out two more drums and a special box magazine made for this World War II legend. Also from out of the bag he took out a black box that fit into a compartment on his upper leg. Walking over to a duffle bag he opened up the bag and pulled out a model 1887 shotgun and a FAL rifle.

After grabbing some ammo and placing them on various parts of his person, mostly his legs, Sergi walked back over to the purple unicorn, 'Twilight Sparkle I think that was her name. I bet Anderson would know.' Sergi thought to himself. Looking out a window he saw that the snow had stopped and it was just about dawn. Checking his TACPAD, he was surprised that the temperature was about 19 degrees. Seeing that another trip would be needed, Sergi found that his tactical mask was missing. Not wanting to waste any more time, he removed the helmet he wore and was about to toss it over to his pile. Thinking for a second, he recorded a message on his helmet in the hopes that Anderson would find it. Sergi took another look at the pony. Unless this unicorn had a really thick skin, which she didn't, she would be in worse shape later than she was right now.

Taking off the thick jacket he was wearing, he wrapped it around the unicorn. The jacket was Russian-made with metal plates sewn in between the three different cloth layers. Sergi stood there in just a green T-shirt and multiple straps holding onto three other knifes. Multiple scars marked previous battles from times past. Up on his right shoulder was a tattoo of the red star of the Cossacks. In the middle of the star was a skull wearing a crown and a dagger plunged into the skull. On the left was a tattoo of a pair of crossed guns. One was an AK-47 and the other was a Mosin-Nagat with a scope. Above the guns was a skull with the words Mortis Personalis Donum printed on the forehead of the skull. He lifted the creature off the ground and cradled it in his arms. As he raced down the stairs, he flipped the hood of the jacket over the pony's face to block it from the chilling air. When the sun started to rise over the horizon, the black shape charged into the white of its surroundings. This movement was noted as a shadow by one of Celestia's Royal Guard.

===================

Anderson had a harsh wake up call. Hearing movement outside the tent, he thought that some of the ponies were awakening. 'This will be so exciting! The one thing that I care for, I'm now a part of their world! There is so much to do and learn here!' He thought in his head. As he got up, Anderson moved towards the tent flap and heard something else other than hoof steps. It sounded like.... metal clanking? Backing away from the tent flap he took a mirror and pulled up the bottom of one of the corners. Looking at the reflection he could see a platoon of Royal Guards and Princess Celsetia. 'Oh shit! Why is she here? She only comes when something big happens or something bad occurs. Usually it was the same things. I better get Sir Henry up.' Anderson rushed through his head. Racing across the tent over to where the knight slept, Anderson violently shook the knight trying to keep quiet as long as possible. Sir Henry had removed most of his armor last night except for a leather chest piece, his metal gauntlets, and his metal boots.

"Hey! Get up! We have a problem!" Anderson whispered.

"What is it? It's barely morning." Sir Henry mumbled as he slowly awoke.

"We got guards and Princess Celestia outside the tent!"

"What do you...."


The sound of a tent flap opening made them both look over. Princess Celestia and several guards stood in the opening and Celestia did not have a happy look on her face. Before Anderson or Sir Henry could react, they were thrown to the ground and dragged out into the open. Having two guards standing next to both of them, they stared at their surroundings. Anderson noticed that both Sergi and Twilight Sparkle were gone. The other ponies were just moving around and getting up. Confusion could also be seen in their faces. His vision was forced up into the eyes of Princess Celestia.

"Where is Twilight Sparkle?" Celestia interogated.

"I...I don't know.... She was fine and well last night." Anderson mumbled out through everything he was trying to process in a short time.

"When I received the message that Spike sent to me, I thought this would be a simple investigation. It has now turned into a kidnapping!" Celestia exclaimed to Anderson. "Also, why do I have the feeling that I have seen you before? Have we met before?" She added as she looked over to Sir Henry.

"Yes you have ma'am. I am Sir..." Sir Henry was beginning as a guard shouted out

"Princess! I found something!"


Walking over to a pillar near the stairwell, a message could be seen chiseled into the stonework. 'I have taken the purple unicorn. Gone out to find help. Do not panic.' Seeing the color change in the face of Celestia, Anderson prepared for the worst.

"WHO ELSE ARE YOU IN LEAGUE WITH? IS IT THE GRIFFONS?!" She shouted out at the two humans kneeling under her magic. "Nevermind. Commander, leave eight of your men here and take the rest out to find this third creature. If you can, don't kill it. I have some questions for it."

"Yes ma'am, can we get Princess Luna's forces to assist? They have a better understanding of the surrounding area."

"Yes, that is fine. Just get the third creature before anything bad happens."


Turning her attention back to the two humans, she decided to start from the top.

"Names, what are your names?" she questioned as she applied a little pressure with her magic.

"Anderson! Oh god please make it stop!" Anderson shouted out as he slowly crumpled into a ball from the pressure.

"My name is Sir Henry Longworth, Paladin of the Knights Templar. How quickly do you forget your old friends Princess?" Sir Henry as the magic flared up around him and flickered out.

"How are you doing that? No creature alive can do anything like this unless...." Celestia drifted off as she remembered centuries past, removing the pressure from the other human.

"Yes, this is cold steel armor, one of the only substances that can nullify magic."

"I only know of a few creatures that could forge this metal. May I?" As she moved forward and tilted her head down a bit.

"Certainly, I remember the first time you worked this spell." Sir Henry answered as he knelt down onto one knee and tilted his head forward.


Celestia's horn glowed again. Anderson just lied there and watched as everyone went still. seconds passed, it seemed more like minutes or hours passing by. The magic began to dim and Sir Henry raised his head and looked at Princess Celestia. With a look of disbelief on her face, a smile slowly grew on her face and she embraced him in what looked like a hug. As she pulled herself away tears could be seen sliding down her face.

"My good friend, it is good to know that you are alive. So many were lost in the uprising." She said as all earlier hostility disappeared. "Now are you going to explain how you crossed dimensions and brought back two other humans?"

"Certainly, but to answer your question, I think we need to consult the Prophecy of Man." Sir Henry replied.

"Isn't that just something from Daring Do and the Griffon's Goblet?" Rainbow Dash questioned.

"I'm not sure but I do know that many have tried to decipher the cryptic message and have failed. But I believe that I have cracked it wide open.”

=====================

Without any trouble going through the forest, Sergi burst out of the woods with his package. Looking over the town again, he noted a building with the red cross on it. 'Good thing some things are still the same in this place.' Taking a look behind him he could see golden specks flying over the forest with black dots. Racing over towards the building, ponies in the street either stood in shock of what was racing through town or bolted into their homes. With this the streets were slightly easier to move through. As the hospital grew rapidly in size, Sergi didn't slow down and rammed his shoulder right into the doors. Bursting wide open he found himself in a lobby, everyone in the room was staring, startled at the sudden commotion.

"I got an injured pony here that needs a doctor! Can anyone help?" He shouted out to the others there as he scanned the lobby for exits he might have to use later in case of hostiles.


A pony wearing a white cap with a red cross exited a door behind the counter and came back out with a unicorn in a white jacket and a black tie. Seeing that there was help here he pulled off the hood from Twilight Sparkles head. She was muttering things in her sleep; oblivious to what was happening around her.

"Follow me, I can help her." said the unicorn with the white jacket and tie.

Following behind the two other ponies, they came to a room with a bed and some monitors around it. Placing his jacket down on the bed, Sergi removed the sleeping unicorn from his jacket. Seeing the red bandages, the 'doctor' and the 'nurse' carefully removed them and took a look at the damage. A glowing light appeared from the ' doctors' horn and the wounds stitched themselves back together. In only a few seconds the wound was completely healed. The once large cuts on the side were covered in a purple coat. About to run out of the room, the nurse yelled out.

"Excuse me. What about your jacket?"

"Leave it with her; it will help her find out how she got here." Sergi shouted out as he bolted back out the doors.


Being back outside the specks were getting closer to the town, following his exact trail through the forest. Swearing under his breath, Sergi bolted back towards the woods. 'If they’re looking for me, then I'm going to give them a run for their money'. Back into the woods he went, not knowing where he was going or what would happen. He knew he was being followed; he had to distract them from the hospital. Pulling the shotgun from his holster on his hip Sergi shot one round into the air. The air cracked from the gun shot, bringing the specks over to Sergi's position. They swooped down from the skies, intent on capturing their target. They followed a man without a plan into unknown territory.

====================

Commander Dawn Treader heard the blast from down below. Knowing that this was possibly the creature he was looking for, he sent all of his men except for one to follow. He took the newest member of the Celestia's Royal Guard to follow the tracks leading into the town of Ponyville. He had a gut feeling that there was a reason for the creature going into the town.

"Commander Dawn Treader, why are we following these tracks here if the creature was going into the forest?" Private Lucky Clover asked.

"If you took a good look at him, you’d have seen he was not burdened. That means that Celestia's student, Twilight Sparkle, has to be somewhere along his path through town. I need a new set of eyes, and you’re just the ticket." The commander replied.


As they followed the trail, they ended up at the hospital. Perplexed as to why it came here they ventured inside. There was already a group of ponies talking together in a panicked frenzy. As they saw the two royal guards step in, they clamored over and all started speaking at once. unable to decipher anything, Commander Dawn Treader held up a hoof and everything went quiet.

"Ladies and Gentlecolts, I am unsure of what happened and everything will work out if we all keep calm. Now can someone tell me what happened?"

"I can. This tall creature was carrying Twilight Sparkle in a jacket. It barged into the hospital, waited for Twilight Sparkle to be healed and just took off again. Very strange behavior if you ask me." said Doctor Stable as he broke through the crowd.

"Is Twilight Sparkle conscious?" Commander Dawn Treader asked.

"Yes, she is stable and conscious. She's just a little woozy from the effects of magic healing." Doctor Stable replied.

"Which way doctor?"

"Follow me."


The trio disappeared down a hallway and left the other ponies to their imagination. Entering the room they found Twilight Sparkle lying in the bed and a dark green jacket lying next to a coat stand. On closer inspection a peg was broken off when the jacket was placed on it. 'This thing just keeps on getting weirder and weirder.' the commander thought in his mind. Slightly shaking his head to clear out the stray thoughts, he approached Twilight Sparkle.

"Twilight Sparkle, I wish we could have seen each other in a different situation, but it is what it is. Now do you know anything about your kidnapper?"

"Kidnapper? No, you’ve got this all wrong. He helped me, he saved me!"

"Hold on, I know that after some time in a situation like yours, you might develop feelings..."

"NO NO NO! I was not kidnapped. I was saved from a manticore by him. He went out into a blizzard to get my friends for help. He killed an entire pack of Timberwolves to protect me and my friends. There was no kidnapping!"


Silence filled the room. Twilight Sparkle was fuming from the last question. Commander Dawn Treader took this time to take his leave. As he motioned to Lucky Clover that it was time to move, Twilight Sparkle shouted out.

"Commander! Please don't hurt him, he has a good heart!"

"We will see but..." Before he could finish his statement a scroll appeared out of a sudden flare of fire. Opening the scroll, he browsed through the contents. On the paper in front of him it read,


Dear Commander Dawn Treader,


I have gathered information from the two other creatures and the other ponies there. These creatures are dangerous but came here in peace. If you find the third creature, do not kill it. It is very important concerning a new breakthrough with a secret from an ancient artifact. This creature is to be marked as dangerous, but hard to anger. The two other creatures, and the other Elements of Harmony will help in the search and recovery.


From Princess Celestia


Passing the scroll to Lucky Clover to look over. Commander Dawn Treader walked back over to Twilight Sparkle.

"Come on kid, we got ourselves a creature to catch."



Delight could be seen washing over Twilight Sparkle as she heard this. Jumping out of the bead she nearly fell flat on her face. Catching her before the floor, Commander Dawn Treader supported her as she regained balance.

"Easy there kid, we haven't even left the room yet. Let’s just try to take it slow and steady." Dawn Treader calmly said, relaxing Twilight Sparkle, adding "I bet he is still giving my men a run for their money." Why did he have a strange feeling that this was actually happening.

====================

Sergi burst into an opening in the forest as he was closely followed by crossbow bolts. Flying past him, the bolts hit the trees on the other side of the clearing and engulfed them in ice. Turning around to see how close his pursuers were to him. Rustling from the foliage told him that they were still pretty close. Running back into the forest he became aware that he was in an over grown ruin. Tapping a series of buttons on his TACPAD, Sergei jumped over to the side and hid behind a wall. A holographic double now ran in the same direction that he was going before. As the double disappeared from sight, the sounds of hoofs could be heard charging down through the ruins. A wave of gold, white, silver and dark blue stormed past the wall that Sergi used as cover and continued to follow the double deeper into the woods. The sky darken as the sky was filled with pegasi following in the chase They continued to fire crossbow bolts at the double as they slowly disappeared back into the forest. Looking around his surroundings more closely, this appeared to be a fort of some type. A lone figure could be seen in a courtyard off to the side. Walking up to the figure, it soon became apparent that it was a human knight with both of his hands on the hilt of his two handed sword. Sergi slowly moved toward the FAL on his back as he felt like he was not alone. Turning around quickly, Sergi whipped the rifle off his back and looked down the sights at what appeared to be a unicorn and a pegasus mixed together. It had a flowing mane that looked like the night sky and had a dark blue coat.

"These are the ruins of my personal retreat. This was a place I used to visit any time I could before I became envious of my sister. No one knows why, but everyone has their ideas." She began as she slowly stepped towards Sergi. "I had friends that were like you, being human I mean. Now, if you can tell me where Twilight Sparkle is I will not harm you."

"She saved my life and now I'm saving hers." Sergi responded, he still felt that something else was watching.

"I am not here to hurt her, just to better understand what the situation is." She said as she continued her advancement.

"GET DOWN NOW!" Sergi shouted as he pointed his rifle above her.


With a crack a shot rang out through the ruins and a snake the size of the new pony fell out of a tree. Darting his head around he spotted what was watching them, an entire horde of snakes.

"Aren't snakes inactive during the winter or are they fully seasonal creatures here?" Sergi shouted out to his new companion.

"No, they shouldn't even be moving this time of year unless..." Her sentence fading off into thought.

"Unless what!?" Sergi shouted out as he tried to keep his eyes on all of the snakes.

"Unless the Basilisk is awake." she finished her sentence as she moved closer to Sergi.


At the mention of the name a bone chilling hiss broke out of the forest and a snake the size of a four story building rose above the surrounding forest. Taking another look around he could see that the snakes where slowly closing in.

"How well do you remember the layout of this place miss?" Sergi shouted out as he prepared for the worst.

"Pretty good, why is that important now?" The pony asked

"Is there a building we can enter close to here?" Sergi explained

"There was a tower built behind this statue, but it's not much now." She answered with a quiver of fear in her voice.

"That will be good enough" Sergi's said as he turned his head to look. It was a good distance away, but it would have to do.

"Here's the plan! When I tell you to, you need to run as fast as you can toward the tower. I will follow you soon after. If anything, you will be able to get to safety. Any questions?" Sergi said as he continued to follow the movements of the snakes.

"No." She replied

"Go now, I'll follow!" Sergi ordered.


Without any hesitation she sprinted toward the ruins. Seeing a brief opportunity to strike the pony, a few snakes lunged forward. Sergi turned to each one and released burst of bullets at them. The bodies withered around in the snow and quickly came to a stop. The other snakes lunged in vengeance for their fallen comrades and were met with a similar fate. Even though they failed to reach Sergi, they slowly pushed the line closer and closer to him. Hearing the dreaded click of an empty clip, Sergi grabbed his 1887 shotgun and began to fire into the swarm again. This time he began his way back to the ruins. The Basilisk noticed the killing field that appeared before its eyes and let out another deafening hiss, throwing itself into the battle. Sergi had finished the last of the snakes when he heard the deafening hiss of the Basilisk. Looking up he saw the world quickly turn dark as the Basilisk flung itself onto the battlefield. Aiming the shotgun up at the monstrosity, Sergi fired off the last of the shells in the shotgun and watched in astonishment as the shots only made dents on the scales of the creature.

"What the hell is this thing made of?" Sergi said to himself as he attempted to jump out of the way.

====================

Princess Luna had just entered into the ruins when she noticed that no one was following her. Turning around she could see him fending off the snakes and the sound of his strange magic continued to echo throughout the ruins. 'I shouldn't be here running to safety, I should be up there with him.' She thought in her head. Running back out, Princess Luna noticed a different sound. It still sounded like the humans' magic, but louder and more resounding. Reaching halfway between location of the human and the ruins, she cringed in agony as the hiss of the Basilisk filled the air. Fear welled up within Luna as she saw the colossal Basilisk lunge toward the human. As the human attempted to evade the strike, the Basilisk snatched the human up with its tail and brought it up to its head for closer inspection. 'What now? Only the combined powers of my sister and I could we challenge the Basilisk. Even then we only contained it with the powers of the Elements of Harmony. Now the spell is broken because we are no longer attached to the Elements.' Princess Luna hurriedly panicked as the tail slowly began crushing the human. The strange magic of the human could be heard again as pain and anger quickly washed over the Basilisk as it whipped its head about. As its head thrashed around, red began to paint itself on the face of the Basilisk. As it fell to the ground, it abandoned its curiosity and started flailing its entire body around. The corpse of the Basilisk soon came to a stop and laid there as the fresh new blood joined the blood of the other snakes and covered the pure white snow and took away any signs of innocence of this place. An eerie stillness filled the ruins. Nothing could be heard except for Luna's own breathing. She began walking toward where the human had fallen. Her walk quickly turned into a jog, and then a sprint. Luna found the human lying on the ground, barely holding onto life. His midsection was torn up from the scales of the Basilisk. A strange thing on his wrist was stating how every one of his ribs had been broken and how multiple lacerations were detected in his midsection. In his right hand he held a strange object; it was made out of wood and metal along with a red line across a wide cylinder near where he held it. A low groan slipped from his lips as it looked like he was attempting to move. Luna used her magic to lift him up and carry him over to a safer area of the ruins. Inside there were small reminders of what this place used to be. A fireplace stayed unlit in a corner of the room. A few chairs surrounded a large table. Spreading against a wall was an upside down crescent moon with wings flared out. Below the moon was a star touching the moon only by two tips.
Forcing the bad memories from her mind, Luna placed the bloodied body onto the table. Seeing how this human would not last long, she flipped through her mental book of spells. After flipping through enough pages she landed on something that would fit the bill. Powering up her horn she aimed it at the human lying there and released the spell. Images flipped through her mind: a burning village in the middle of winter, other humans taking in a child, his only family dying all around him, a seemingly endless period of time in a building full of white walls and machines, a war that was spelling the end to the world's existence. All of these images... No, memories flashed through her mind all at once and suddenly stopped as she saw a human standing, staring back at her in her mind. It walked closer so a light showed the human in detail. He still wore a green shirt and a thick pair of pants that was similar to the human she was healing, but something looked familiar. Something of this human reminded her of centuries past, but what was it. This was the same clothing that the human she was healing wore but the man was someone else.

"Dear Princess Luna, it has been so long. I have missed this world so much." The man said as he noticed her taking interest.

"Who are you? You look so familiar." Luna replied.

"How could you forget me dear Princess? I was your bodyguard during the uprising; your noble warrior from the north, your royal guardian Cossack. Do you not remember those times?" The man said as other images began to appear around him.

"Is...Is that you Alexander?" Luna asked in wonder.

"Yes. It is I, Princess. The man you are saving is the answer to the Prophecy of Man. He will be the deciding factor of the fate of Equestria."

"He holds that much power? So where are the rest of the humans hiding?" Luna asked in curiosity.

"He is not of this dimension. He is from where I escaped to when I disappeared during the fight against Discord. He has powers beyond anything you have learned. Be careful with him, he has seen things and has had things done to him that not even you could possibly imagine." Alexander said as he slowly vanished from her head and she reopened her eyes.


The human was lying there, healthier than when she brought him down. His chest was back to its normal position and his body showed no signs of the damage from the Basilisk. A few seconds later, his chest began to slowly raise and lower with his breathing. Smiling she decided to start the fire. This has been a very interesting day. Her thoughts trailed off to the times back when she was a little filly. Back when Discord had overthrown her parents. Back when she and Celestia were alone in the world. Back to the times she spent with Alexander...

===========================================================

Well there you go folks, the next chapter of story. Thank you all again for your support, it pushes me to continue the story. Credits for proofreading go out to frieD195. The next chapter should be off to proofreading in about a week, so hang tight.