• Published 21st Apr 2012
  • 5,008 Views, 197 Comments

The Beginning of the End - CyclicStoryWriter



"We wanted a new beginning, but we created an end" The stories of a soldier who escaped the "Endwar"

  • ...
20
 197
 5,008

Once more into the Fray

The Beginning of the End

Once more into the Fray

"Damned rocket whores!" The pilot shouted out as the Valkyrie rocked from an explosion.

"GET US THE HELL OUT OF HERE!" Captain Miller shouted into the cockpit as he held on to one of the overhead grips.

"Sorry, I forgot Captain. I was just going to pick up a gallon of milk from the store and maybe fill up the gas tank!" The pilot shouted back sarcastically.

"I hate gunships." Snake muttered to himself quietly.

"What do you not hate Snake?!" Joesph asked as while he tried to hold onto a handle.

"I don't hate normal life." Snake replied before the gunship rocked again.

"When was the last time you have seen that?" Joseph asked jokingly regaining his stance.

"One more hit like that and this thing is going down! Can you please try to avoid those missiles?" Captain Miller shouted into the cockpit of the Valkyrie,

"No shit Captain! It doesn't help that we’ve already used up all our flares!" The pilot shot back.

"Open the hatch." Sergi stated as he grabbed for a rifle in the overhead compartment.

"What are you thinking!? I don't want a missile coming in here!" Snake shouted out.

"Trust me, I did things like this for a living. Now open the door." Sergi answered as he quickly looked over the gun.

"I'm not sure Captain, I think that this Russian is just trying to kill us all. Look at Lieutenant Ashlyn if you have doubt about him."

"What happened to the Lieutenant was not because of him. I had to listen to her as she told how he had saved her from a mole in the ranks...." The Captain began not noticing the hatch slowly opening.

"And walked across Europe leaving a trail bodies in his wake!" Snake interjected trying to show a point while gesturing towards Sergi.

"Um...Sir?" Joesph hesitantly asked looking towards the rear hatch.

"WHAT is ...it?" The Captain began before watching Sergi jump out of the rear hatch.

"Thank you for flying United Airlines, Zu Ruhm to you my friend." The pilot said into his headset.

"Dasvadanya Comrade." Sergi's voice replied through the speakers before a click sounded.

"What the fuck was that for?!" Snake shouted out as he entered the cockpit.

"Helping a friend out." The pilot said not even giving a glance at Snake.

"Are you a spy?!" Snake said in a more hushed voice.

"Just another mercenary saving your ass." He replied as he calmly grabbed a taser from a side compartment and pacifying Snake. "Hey can someone get this unconscious body out of here. It's hard enough with these... DAMN ROCKET WHORES!" The pilot shouted back to the two still conscious soldiers on the gunship while a rocket flew right past the windshield.

"I can see why your people used this tactic during that World War II. Very crude but effective, I am not really sure about the cost though." A voice said as the world around Sergi dissolved away.

Sergi found himself in a world of red and staring out the back of the Valkyrie. Next to him stood was Sir Henry wearing his full set of armor. Below him laid fields of burning wheat and a town sending out its last breaths in deep thick billowing clouds. He couldn't help but smile at all that he saw in front of him.

"Balitmare has been added to the list of towns taken out, bringing the total up to 9 out of 9 towns destroyed before the mountain pass. Reports show 87 occupants are wounded and 296 are severely wounded or dead" The AI replied as the Valkyrie began to move west.

"It’s now time to fortify the pass I guess. I must thank you again for allowing me to come along and help in the defense of my old friends." Sir Henry said as he moved further into the Valkyrie when the hatch slowly closed.

The world slowly disappeared and he stood in his battle armor while holding his helmet in his right hand. He now stood at the train station surrounded by the ponies he had grown to know better over the last week. Everyone had a look of disappointment on their face.

"Are you sure that you have to go, maybe someone else could take your place." Rainbow Dash said as she rubbed the dog tags that hung from her neck.

"There is no other way for this to go. I am just making sure that life here does not turn into something I know from my world." Sergi said as he knelt down and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"I am glad you allowed me to come along with you Sergi. When danger threatens old friends of mine, I promised to give my life in order to keep them safe." Sir Henry said as he patted Sergi on the shoulder and moved onto the train to drop his things.

Anderson stood behind the ponies and had a sad look on his face. He kept his gaze down to the ponies but raised his eyes every once and awhile. Sergi had already discussed this with him and was going to keep firm with what his decision was.

"Sergi, why don't you bring Anderson with you? I'm sure he could be able to help you two in some way." Fluttershy asked in her usual quiet voice.

"I need him to stay here and watch over you ponies. If things go bad on my end, at least he can be ready to help out." Sergi said as he noted Anderson looking at Fluttershy with a look of hope.

"Take Anderson with you. It is not fair that you’re leaving him behind and out of your plans when you do something." Fluttershy said in a more assertive voice while her eyes grew bigger.

"Fluttershy, I am keeping him back so that he will have less of a burden than me and Sir Henry." Sergi replied as he felt the gaze trying to make him rethink his decision.

"Take him." She simply replied as she somehow tried to obtain dominance.

"Careful Fluttershy, when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Sergi said as he placed his free hand on the side of her head with the thumb on her forehead.

With a simple thought he flashed some of his more gentle memories of what he would be doing. Burning buildings and random things moving around on fire. These things made her instantly break eye contact and notice how interesting the ground was. Once he showed what he needed he pulled the memories back and gently lifted her chin up so that they were eye to eye.

"I am doing this to preserve the innocence of both Anderson and all the ponies in Equestria. That one thing is what separates me from the rest of this wonderful world. It is filled with something I never had the chance to have." Sergi said in the gentle voice he uses when talking with Fluttershy.

"Now just remember, no matter what happens you still have friends here in Ponyville. Nothing will ever change that." Applejack said as she extended her hoof.

Sergi shook her hoof and said his good byes to the others. As he began to board the train he turned around and pointed at Anderson.

"Stay." Sergi ordered as if Anderson was a dog.

Anderson just stood there and watched as the train began pulling away from the station. The train station slowly disappeared and once it disappeared from sight Sergi pressed a button on his TACPAD. Within seconds the Valkyrie flew in over the train cab waiting for the next order. He walked over to the cab door and unhooked the cab from the rest of the train. With another push of a button the sound of clamps attaching to the cab could be heard and the ground fell away from the train cab. Sergi closed the door and watched as they flew away from Canterlot and towards the plains over the mountain. The peaceful forests and small clearings were replaced by the final glimpse of the burning fields and city of Baltimare before the hatched closed completely and sealed itself. Sergi moved himself into the cockpit and stared out the windshield at the towering mountains. Off colored spots could be seen at various points across the white peaks of the mountains. Status reports filled down his HUD and all the stations were reading 100% battle ready.

"If you placed those stations all across the mountain range, why didn't you place any at the mountain pass?" Sir Henry asked from over Sergi's shoulder.

"We want to funnel them through the pass. If we fill the entire mountain range with those stations then they will find a way around the mountain and possibly find some other pass we haven’t found yet. They want an invasion so we will give them a nice welcoming gift." Sergi answered as he began thinking over any possible variables he might’ve overlooked.

When they had almost reached the pass the rear hatch began opening. Sergi slowly walked up to the very edge as the gunship flew over the pass and landed in an open spot away from the pass. He looked down at his dog tags that he had been given when he reached the age of ten. He could hear a conversation that Rainbow Dash and he had.

"What are these things anyway?" She asked him when they were out in the open fields by Ponyville.

"They are called ‘dog tags’. They have all the general information about you on them. Back in my world, they were used to identify someone after a battle. With the large amount of people we had back there it was impossible to know every single man and woman in the army. Not to mention the other sections of the military." He replied as he pulled his own out from under his shirt.

"Do you wear them all the time then?" Rainbow Dash said as she looked down at her own.

"The young recruits usually only wear them when they are actually fighting in the war but the more seasoned soldiers usually wear them as if it were a part of themselves. The only reason they would give their own tags to someone else was when they would not be coming back from a mission." Sergi said as he felt the other dog tags that were in one of his pants pockets. "But even though you may only have their tags, it seems like they were there in person as you went on with your life." Sergi said as he began slipping out of the memory and disembarking from the Valkyrie.

The clearing was now the defense headquarters including his command tent and three Night Watchmen left in reserve. Sergi looked up into the sky and noticed the snow gently falling down from the sky above. It reminded him of how this land was still virgin in a way. No war or political dispute has happened for a thousand years. He stood there for a while just staring up at the falling snow. Time was of the essence and now was not the time to look in wonder at nature. Sergi mentally kicked himself and began the trek through the snow to the mountain pass. The trek revived memories from his past; his last mission with other fellow Cossacks. The snow began to fall in thicker sheets as they reached the mountain pass. Even though the weather was controlled by Pegasi in Equestria, it seemed like the mountain range was left to its own designs. At last they made it up to the ridge overlooking the pass. The pass could allow three T-100 Ogres and maybe a KV-20 Zhukov or a BTR-112 Cockroach if they were lined up side by side. Since there would be no vehicles to worry about dragon teeth and AT mines would not be in the equation. He stood there and thought what would be the best option for defense and then it hit him. Sergi held up his hands and thought of the plan he had for the defenses. When he was done the pass still looked the same as it was before.

"What did you just do?" Sir Henry said as he moved closer to see what had changed.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Sergi said as he placed his arm out to stop him. "Since the Griffons can't fly through this weather they will have to go through this pass if they don't want to add another 9 months to go around the mountain. When they pass through here they will meet Bouncing Betty and she is a very naughty girl."

"So what else is there to do now? The pass is fortified now." Sir Henry asked as he remembered what happened when they arrived in Equestria.

"We still need to set up defenses along the side where we can hopefully ambush the confused griffons." Sergi answered as he watched every situation that could possibly happen with this stand.

The only one constant throughout all of the different situations and plans was that this stand would be their last. He looked through the storm and looked at the capital city that hung to the side of the mountain and released a bloodlust-filled roar that challenged anything and everything. From the beginning of his life he had been made and formed to do one thing beyond where one has been before. He did not even have to be pushed in order for killing to be as easy as breathing. It just was what he was made for. It was his purpose in life.