• Published 21st Apr 2012
  • 5,008 Views, 197 Comments

The Beginning of the End - CyclicStoryWriter



"We wanted a new beginning, but we created an end" The stories of a soldier who escaped the "Endwar"

  • ...
20
 197
 5,008

Preparing for War

The Beginning of the End

Preparing for War

Sergi laid in the cold, bare, concrete room he had been kept in while not being experimented on. He stared at the wall where he had made the markings of a mad man. The markings were almost unrecognizable, even to him. They ranged from small messages or maps chiseled into the wall to cryptic words promising the end written in his own blood when his hands were turned raw from chiseling. His internal clock slowly clicked as he waited for the next session. There was no escape from here; all of his attempts landed him directly in the office of the Director. The office was filled with American pop culture such as posters for old movies hung on the wall along with many Western items, such as two 44 magnum revolvers and a 1887 shotgun that supposedly belonged to one of his ancestors. This place has almost effectively done something nothing before has done: Break the mind of a Cossack. Cossacks are trained to be unbreakable like other soldiers. This is what made the Cossacks something greatly praised and feared. All of that training could not help with what this place did. They would mess around with his body for a few hours and then send him out onto a training course where every single simulation strained everything he had and showed him how it was not enough because his failures made people he cared for pay for them. The Scientist had stopped messing around with his body for the past month and a half but had been increasing the testing regiments. Sergi raised his right hand up to his face to feel the healing wound he had received during one of the latest tests. They had changed Dimitri into something that wasn't him, a soul less husk of a man that was broken and made into a machine of war. Killing him was the only way to end the suffering that Dimitri had, what little of him existed. His train of thought was cut short by the sounds of foot steps in the hallway. 'The guards are not supposed to be around here until 6:00, it was only 1:54,' Sergi thought as he pulled every single detail from the situation with his already fragile brain. The buttons made cheerful noises as they released they thick metal bars sealing the door to the wall. As the door swung open, only a man stood there in a white lab jacket. When Sergi's eyes adjusted to the light, he saw the head scientist standing there with a knife, a high level key card, and a silenced pistol. Standing up, Sergi prepared to finally meet his end only to find the items placed into his hands.

"I can no longer stand by as I watch my projects be broken by some high minded Americans! This is my lab, and I will do what I will in it, even releasing my own projects to kill the intruders. This knife was my Ancestor's when he fought for the Third Reich. An armory is just down the hallway and you should find some things to your liking, Sergi. Zu Ruhm comrade, the Goths are willing to avenge the Cossacks." The Scientist said before he walked out of the room and headed down towards the other holding cells.

Sergi took no time rushing out of the cell and bolting down to find this armory. The signs posted along the way helped him find his way. The door to the armory was only a simple card scanner, no eye scanner or key pad. Inside, Sergi took the time to look over what he had. The pistol was an old 9mm with a modification to fit a more modern day silencer on it. The key card had the face of the Scientist who had just released him on it, along with his name, Dr. Fredrick Luger. The knife was very interesting, because it was a rare officers knife that was highly valuable after the war ended. Sergi looked up from his items to look around the room. There was plenty of standard weaponry filed along the wall that Sergi did not even bother looking at. Placed away in the back of the room was what Sergi was looking for. A small assortment of mismatched weapons stood there untouched. He looked through the line of weapons looking for anything that would be of use. In the assortment he found something he only hoped would have survived, the Cossacks officers PPSH. Sergi checked every single spring and latch to find that it was still in good condition. He took the weapon along with as much ammo as he could carry for it. A Russian recon armor hung in the armory as well and Sergi did not mind having to stop for one more thing. He placed the visor on and was gleefully happy when the entire world turned a blood red. Sergi saw a heavy machine gun on a mount in the back as well. Alarms began to blare as Sergi entered back out into the hallways. From around a corner swarms of guards headed down the hallway to find Sergi standing there priming up the heavy machine gun. Bullet after bullet left the gun and filled Sergi with cold satisfaction.

"Infirmorum susceptor, Hunter magni ab ultimo ad ultimum spiritum, pugnabimus" Sergi shouted out through the external speakers as he walked through the piles of dead and dying bodies.

"Sergi, are you here? What is all this stuff?" A voice asked pulling Sergi out of his memories.

"Please do not touch any of those things." Sergi barely grumbled out.

"OH my, we didn't wake you up did we?" Fluttershy asked as Sergi's mind began to come back to reality.

"You did but I should be up anyways." Sergi replied as he opened his eyes.

He found himself lying on top of one of the night watchmen. Sergi slowly pushed himself off of the unmanned surveillance aircraft and rubbed his face with his left hand. The cold touch of metal made him look at his hand to find another gauntlet made of obsidian and a the eagle emblem of a commander on the back made out of one solid piece of diamond.

"So it actually is true." Twilight Sparkle commented.

"What is true?" Sergi asked as he turned his attention from the gauntlet.

"The Prophecy of Man, something that seems to be more than just a relic in one of Rainbow's Daring Do books." Applejack answered as she continued to stare at him as if this was the first time.

"Is that what you wear every time you go to sleep dear? You should really invest in some pajamas. They will do just wonders for you. Maybe heal up those wounds you have there." Rarity said as she evaluated what he wore.

Sergi looked over himself to find that other than the gauntlet he had just found, all he was wearing was his cargo pants. His bare chest should the scars and tattoos of his past life. He was just glad that his one big secret was not showing.

"What happened to you? I have never seen anything like this..." Twilight Sparkle began saying.

"Did Anderson tell you about the war?" Sergi asked.

"Yes but what does that have to do with..." Twilight Sparkle began to reply.

"Obviously these were scars from the war silly." Pinkie Pie cheerfully said as she began to bounce around the room.

"Can someone tell me what the Prophecy of Man is?" Sergi asked as he slowly began to get irritated and confused with everything.

"It is this one giant picture thing that supposedly told how the world would end. Supposedly the last humans of Equestria carved the entire thing before ending the reign of Discord. Everything was very cryptic until you guys came around and Sir Henry unlocked the entire thing!" Rainbow Dash proudly explained

"And what Rainbow Dash is forgetting is how almost everything was decrypted. The last part of the inscriptions is so vague that not even someone from the time knows what it means. All that it shows is a giant round hole and clouds burning with the inscription underneath narrating, 'And the heavens will burn and the earth shall feel the wrath of an entire race'." Twilight Sparkle corrected, visibly annoyed by how Rainbow Dash left out a somewhat major detail.

"Where am I included in this prophecy? I am just a soldier from a destroyed world." Sergi asked as he began walking through his collection of advance technology he created with the magic contained in his golden gauntlet.

"All of the carvings show a man taking on creatures that no pony could take on by themselves. They show everything from when you all arrived up to the news of a griffon army that would easily take all of Equestria!" Twilight shouted out trying to make some point.

"When the time comes I am sure things will play out just fine. Now is there anything else you ponies need before you leave?" Sergi asked hoping to get something accomplished today.

"Where did you get that gauntlet there? I don't remember you having it the last time ah saw you." Applejack inquired.

"I wish I could tell you but I don't even know how I got the gauntlet. It seems to have just appeared like the first one." Sergi replied as he pondered how they both appeared out of nowhere.

"Maybe there something more than just gauntlets..." Twilight Sparkle began before getting interrupted again.

"OH, Twilight I bet they're just like are elements. Maybe they have some super secret power that nopony has seen since when the humans were here! Pinkie Pie shouted out as she continue to hop around the cave.

"You guys have things similar to this?" Sergi asked as this was the first time he heard about other items of power.

"Yeah, how else could we take down Nightmare Moon and Discord!? Rainbow Dash blurted out as Sergi walked up closer to the embers of a fire that once burned hot and shuffled them around with a stick.

"Unlike Sir Henry or Anderson who have been with you ponies since day one, I have not had the pleasure of finding out what you six have done other than what I hear from others, mostly from the officers of the Royal Guards." Sergi stated as he placed a few logs onto the small embers to begin cooking up his breakfast.

"Well maybe we could change that. Ah personally would like to know you more than just a human that has saved my friend's and ah's flanks more than once." Applejack said as she slowly stepped forward.

"Why do you even want to be out here? There is nothing to do other than work on these things and sit by a fire." Rainbow Dash asked as she flew over and sat on the nose of the VALKYRIE gunship.

"You do seem like a very fine gentlecolt, and I find it hard to believe that you like to stay secluded." Rarity said following the lead of Rainbow Dash and Applejack.

"I have my reasons for living here. Mostly because ponies are not used to what I have been trained to do." Sergi said as he started setting up the stand and preparing his breakfast in a metal kettle.

"We don't even know what you did back in your world!" Twilight Sparkle exclaimed as Sergi noted how she was laying a trap about his past.

"I was a soldier back in my world. I fought to keep the ones I cared for safe, even though it did not happen that way." Sergi replied as he said the last part in a low tone.

"Oh I'm sure the ponies will warm up to you. They warmed up to me and Spike since we first moved here." Twilight Sparkle said as she used her magic to lift the kettle onto the stand over the fire.

"You and Spike are actually from here and you do not have a history filled with things that should never see the light of day." Sergi said as he went inside the tent to retrieve a shirt to put on

"They can't be that bad." Twilight Sparkle said as she was still trying to fish for information.

Sergi exited the tent with his usual green t-shirt and gave a cold, hard stare in return. Twilight's ears flattened against her head and blushed a little bit after getting caught trying to fish for information.

"Um... if don't mind me asking; do you like animals?" Fluttershy asked quietly after seeing Twilight go into his past life.

"I do. When I was young I had a falcon as a pet. That was back when I was only about 6 or 7." Sergi replied as his mind went back to those times.

"Excuse me ladies, is this where the human Sergi lives?" A new voice asked from the mouth of the cave.

The ponies turned to see a pegasus who looked like a fresh out of training Royal Guard. Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle moved off to the side to reveal Sergi standing among his weapons of war.

"OH, my bad. Anyways I am here to give you the reports on the situation at the moment." The pegasus said as he looked down at the ground and rubbed the back of his neck.

"If you excuse us girls, this guard and I will discuss business. Please do not mess with any of the things out here. If you get hungry just have what I'm cooking up." Sergi said as he waved the guard over to the tent.

Sergi followed the guard into the tent and saw the dumbstruck look on his face as he looked around the tent.

"Anything I can answer for you?" Sergi asked wanting to scrape up any more information he could on the guard.

"Is this where you actually sleep? I thought the guards quarters were Spartan. Is that a Griffon Commander helmet there?" The pegasus began asking.

"Yes I sleep here and I guess he was a Commander. Did you have something for me?" Sergi answered before pressing the important matter.

"Oh yes, here you go." The pegasus said as he went into his saddle bags and pulled out various plans and reports.

Sergi heard the sound of hooves surrounding the tent and sighed. He went over to the monitor on the tent and ordered a secure channel meeting. This caused an orb of harmless electricity to surround the tent and deny any sound from leaving the tent.

"What just happened?" The pegasus said as he shuffled towards the middle of the tent.

"A few ponies are trying to hear things beyond their pay grade. This just insures that we are the only ones that will know what happens in here." Sergi replied as he moved over to the desk to review the reports.

Minutes turned into hours as Sergi read and memorized every single detail that was in front of him. From what he had read; Equestria has never seriously been to war for over a thousand years. The reports did hold a great amount of information about the griffon nation and the Equestrian defenses but showed how weak Equestria has become. The National Army has been disbanded 750 years ago. The Royal Guards have drastically dropped over the years to barely holding up at around 2,000 guards per Princess. This would definitely make things more difficult, but not impossible. The Griffons easily had a larger army that could be only be topped by the armies from his world. With their numbers short of a million, it wasn't hard to trace a path of where they would move. From the Mountains at the Border of the Griffon Nation and follow a large river cutting through an empty plain that was stage for many of the battles of the rebellion against the Lord of Chaos, Discord. Once they pass through the plains they will reach the mountains that marked the border of Equestria. An old mountain path used back in the time after the fall of chaos will most likely be used to cross over into Equestria. Everyone in Canterlot will, have the best view of the beginning of the end of Equestria. Among the reports were ones that were describing possible troop movement of something called Changelings. These reports were few but contained as much information as the griffons. Through the reports it could plainly be seen that the Changelings were seen as a larger threat than anything. Sergi slowly shook his head at the idea of this small of a force could be seen as a bigger threat than an army ranging up to the low millions with the one mind set of crushing the ponies under their boot heels. There was no way to do this, two different armies arriving at about the same time period and the smaller force seen as a bigger threat. His eyes drifted over to his golden gauntlet and a small idea began to form. If the ponies wanted to focus on the Changelings, then they could focus on them all they wanted to. Sergi just needed them distracted so his part of the plan could go off without a hitch. There would still be a high cost in the aftermath of the plan, but it would all be worth it in the long run. He rolled up his report summary and turned to give it to the pegasus but found him sleeping on his cot.

"Private Lucky Clover, are you asleep at your post!" Sergi inquired in a large voice.

"I am not sleeping at my post Commander Dawn Treader!" The pegasus shouted out as he bolted out of his dreams and straighten his stance, visibly still vague on where he was.

"Good, then can you take this report summary back to Commander Dawn Treader. I'm sure he would be glad to know that he can start preparing for an invasion in about two months." Sergi said as offered the rolled up parchment.

"Two months you say, that falls right on top of Captain Shining Armors Wedding." The pegasus guard said as he realized where he was.

"It is just a estimate, so it might come earlier or later. Let me turn off the security systems on the tent" Sergi said as he began to smile behind his emotionless expression.

"I'll get this straight back to Canterlot, Good bye." The pegasus said as he exited the tent.

"Oh, I'm sure that we will be meeting again soon." Sergi said as he waited in the tent.

The sound of flapping wings marked the Pegasus's departure. Sergi took of the black gauntlet and placed it next to the golden one on the desk. He stepped out of the tent to find that the other ponies were gone and his breakfast had disappeared. He found a plate of cupcakes and a note lying on the nose of the Valkyrie. Sergi picked up the note and read through what little was on there.

'Dear Sergi,
We shared your breakfast and left to get things ready for a picnic tomorrow. If you are free from Guard-related matters maybe you could come as well.

From: Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash'

The names at the bottom looked like they were written by each individual. He folded up the note and placed it in one of the pockets of his pants as he began eating one of the cupcakes. After finishing one of the cupcakes he took the plate and went to stand outside. Sergi took a look at the landscape and the small specks of ponies moving around in the town down below. 'In two months, nothing will be the same again for a long time. Might as well soak up as much of this peaceful place as possible before War rears it old familiar face.