• Published 23rd Dec 2013
  • 1,717 Views, 15 Comments

The Star And The Moon - Robobrony



Midnight Star has been released from his stone prison and is now able to try and pursue a relationship with the princess of the night

  • ...
2
 15
 1,717

The Immortal Star?

Chapter Six: The Immortal Star?

A couple days had gone by since Midnight Star and princess Luna had their second date. Luna had seemed less enthusiastic and energetic then her usual self. Celestia had confronted Luna about this but Luna just shrugged off her sister’s concern. Luna was making her way through the halls of the castle as she thought about the realization she came to after the date. She and her sister were immortal, but Midnight Star, like every other pony, was not. “What to do? I love midnight, and he loves me. Could I really go on without him? How could a relationship work between us?” It was then she finally made a decision. Her eyes narrowed in determination and made her way to her sister’s room.

Once she reached it, her look of determination had wavered, but the determination itself was still there. While she and her sister held a close bond, Celestia was still the elder sister and, after what had happened between them since Luna’s banishment and return, she still held a little fear of her sister, despite Celestia repeatedly saying that she did not blame Luna for what happened but herself. She steeled herself again and used her magic to open the door. She took a tentative step first, then another, and another. She soon found herself standing before Celestia as she sat at a desk going over some scrolls.

Luna started by clearing her throat to get her older sister’s attention. “*Ahem* excuse me sister, might I speak with you?”

Celestia removed her gaze from the scrolls before her and turned to her little sister with a warm smile. “Of course Luna, I’m glad to see you out and about again.” She gave a sympathetic smile. “Sister, what has been troubling you these past days, I am worried about you.”

Luna found some comfort in her sister’s smile and words, but was still fearful of how she would react upon hearing what Luna had in mind. She looked to the side in thought first, starting to second guess this decision. She reminded herself as to why she came to that decision in the first place. She was doing this to be with the love of her life. She looked back and began, her mind made up. “Sister, I was wondering. You know how much I love Midnight don’t you?” She asked.

“Of course.” Celestia said, keeping her smile.

“Well…I was wondering if….maybe…..we could make him an immortal alicorn like us.”

Almost instantly, Celestia’s smile vanished and was replaced with a frown. “Luna, you know we can’t do that.”

“Why not?” Luna asked.

“It is not our place to mess with the natural order of life and death.” Celestia answered seriously.

Luna’s eyes narrowed. “What about Cadence? You made her an alicorn. And don’t think I don’t know your plans for Twilight. You want to make her a princess too once she passes your tests.”

“Yes, I made them alicorns, but they are not immortal like us. They will age in time and pass on, like every other pony.” Celestia’s voice dropped a bit as she said those words.

“Sister, I love him, I can’t imagine facing eternity without him.” Luna stated sadly. “Surely you can understand. What about the one you loved. Wasn’t it painful to watch as he aged and died while you lived on?”

Celestia hung her head to the side. “It was, and it hurt.”

“And you want me to go through the same thing you did?” Luna asked. “You may have been able to handle it, but I can’t. Please sister, don’t let me go through the same pain as you.”

Celestia looked back to Luna with a serious expression. “I’m sorry Luna, but this is how it must be.” She gave a sympathetic look and placed a hoof on her sister’s shoulder. “Sister, I know it will be painful, but I will be there for you to help you through the pain when he passes. We cannot interfere with the life cycle of mortals, it is wrong and could drastically upset the balance.”

Luna’s eyes were wet with tears. “But it’s just one pony!” She argued, with angry tearful eyes. “I love him, I can’t bear to watch him wither away while I live on!” Her look then became melancholy. “Please sister, don’t make me face eternity without him.” She hung her head and openly sobbed.

Celestia took Luna in a hug. She draped her head over Luna’s shoulder as a few tears threatened to escape her eyes as well. She couldn’t stand to see her sister like this. “Luna, please try to understand. We can’t meddle with the cycle of life and death. I know you love him, and I can understand how you feel, but….”

Her sentence was cut off as Luna pushed her sister away. Celestia looked at her sister in shock. Luna was glaring at her through her tears. “Then help me! Make Midnight Star immortal like us so we can be together!” Luna declared.

“I’m sorry Luna, but such a thing is forbidden. You know that.” Celestia said somberly.

Luna gave one last glare before her face fell. She quickly turned and ran out the room with tears streaming down her face, crying out the whole way to her room. Once she reached her room, she flung her doors open with her magic and galloped in, slamming the doors behind her. She jumped onto her bed and buried her head in her pillow, her cries muffled by it.

“Oh dear sister, I’m so sorry.” Celestia said after her sister had run off. She hung her head as a few tears escaped. She felt Luna’s pain once before, so she knew what Luna would be going through.

One thousand years ago:

Celestia stood over the bed of an old unicorn lying down. They held hooves as they looked at each other. “Celestia my love, do not weep for me. I am going to a better place now.” The old stallion said with a warm smile.

“Please Starswirl, let me make you immortal. We can be together forever.” Celestia said as tears streamed from her eyes.
Starswirl raised his other hoof and placed it on Celestia’s cheek. “My dear, you cannot do that. It is a forbidden law for you and your sister. I will not ask you to do such a thing. You told me so yourself before, remember?” Starswirl said.

“I….I do.” Celestia said as she closed her eyes and leaned her head more into Starswirl’s hoof.

“Celestia, I know it will be hard, but you must live on, the ponies need you. You and your sister are their princess, they need you more than I. Live your life and find happiness. You will get over the pain in time. With such a long lifespan, I’m sure you’ll find another to love.”

“Don’t say that!” Celestia declared as she looked at Starswirl. “How could I ever find another stallion like you?”

“You just have to look.” Starswirl’s hoof slowly moved away from Celestia’s face. “My time has come. Be brave princess. I know you’ll be happy.” His eyes slowly started to close.

“No, please Starswirl, don’t leave me!” Celestia cried.

“Goodbye….my love.” His eyes closed and his breath stopped.

“Starswirl?” Celestia asked weakly. “Starswirl…..STARSWIRL!” She cried out. Tears flowed from her eyes as she cried out over the body of her love. She was never to feel his warmth or touch, never feel his lips upon hers, nor gaze into his eyes that always looked upon her as not a princess, but a mare he fell in love with.

Present day:

“I never did find another stallion to love Starswirl. I suppose after all this time, I should try. For now, my sister needs me.” Celestia raised her head and went back to her work. She figured that, right now, her sister needed time to calm down before she would try to talk to her again.

Later that afternoon, Celestia was a little worried Luna would still be too upset to perform her duties as the moon princess and raise the moon for the night. She had just brought the sun down and was somewhat relieved to see Luna on her balcony, bringing forth the moon. She gave a small smile. She left her balcony and made her way to Luna’s room to speak with her.

Upon her arrival, she first knocked on the door. “Luna, it’s me, I’ve come to talk to you if I may.” Silence was her answer. “Luna, I know your upset about Midnight, but as I said, this is something that cannot be changed. I know the pain you’re going through, I will be by your side to help you through it when the day comes that Midnight passes away.” Celestia waited a moment for a response. None came. It was quiet, perhaps too quiet in there. No sniffling, no crying, no weeping, no sound of covers shifting, nothing. “Luna? Are you in there?” Celestia asked. She used her magic to open the door and looked in. “Luna?” The room was empty, not a sign of Luna anywhere. “Luna? Where are you?!” Celestia called in a near panic. “Luna!” No response. “By the eternal heard, please tell me she isn’t going to do what I think.”

Ponyville was getting ready for the night as the sun had set and the moon started to rise in the sky, the darkness of it being decorated by small points of light that shone brightly. Midnight Star and Sombra were just getting ready for bed when there was a knock at the door. “I’ll get it dad, you just go on to bed.” Midnight said. The two were in the living room when the knock came. Since the time of Midnight’s second date with Luna, he and Sombra had pulled their bits together to get a second bed for Sombra to use instead of sleeping on the couch.

“All right son, see you in the morning.” Sombra said as he made his way upstairs to the bedroom.

Midnight Star walked up to the door and used his magic to open it. “Hello?” He was surprised to see an alicorn princess before him. “Princess Luna? What are you doing here? Not that I’m not glad to see you.”

She was wearing a weak smile on her face as she greeted. “Hello Midnight, I’m sorry to intrude on you so late, but there is something I need to speak with you about. May I come in?”

“Of course, come on in.” He stepped aside to let Luna in.

She walked in and took a seat on the couch. “My, you have a nice home Midnight, this is the first time I’ve seen the inside of it.”

Midnight took a seat next to her. “Thanks, it took quite a bit of work to get the stuff to make it the way I wanted. So what do you need to talk to me about?”

She rubbed her forelegs together nervously. “I was wondering if….you would be willing….to let me make you…an immortal like me and my sister.”

An awkward silence filled the room for a minute. It felt like an eternity to her before Midnight finally responded. “I’m sorry….what did you just ask?” Midnight couldn’t believe what he may have just heard.

“I said….I want to make you an immortal like me. That way, we can be together forever.” Luna said again.

“Luna….I…that is….” Midnight Star was speechless. “You….what your offering me….this is a big deal. Live forever? I….I don’t know.”

Luna took Midnight’s hoof in hers. “Please Midnight, I love you, I just can’t face an eternity without you. Say you’ll do this, please.”

“I…I don’t know if I can. I mean, I need time to think this over Luna.” Midnight responded as he looked at Luna.

“Please Midnight, time isn’t something we have.” Luna said, almost desperately.

“Why not? What’s the rush Luna?” Midnight asked, looking of a mix with worry and confusion.

“I cannot say, just tell me, yes or no.”

“Luna….I….” His words were interrupted by a brilliant flash in the center of the room.

Princess Celestia stood before them, she looked down upon the two with a displeased expression. “Luna, what are you doing?” Her look softened. “Please Luna, let us talk about this.”

Luna glared at Celestia. “There is nothing to talk about. You want me to suffer the same way you did when you lost your love. I will not let that happen.”

“That’s not true Luna, there are still things in this world you don’t understand. We cannot simply give immortality to a mortal.” Celestia argued.

“I will not lose him. I love him, and I will do whatever it takes to keep him by my side!” Luna declared.

“Um….excuse me.” Midnight tried to say something but Celestia cut her off.

“Luna, please listen to me.” Celestia begged.

“NO! I won’t listen to you. All my life, I’ve played the obedient good little sister. I love you Celestia, I do, but I think it’s time I did something for myself. You think I don’t know the spell to make one immortal? I found it, I researched it and I know how to perform it on my own.”

“NO, you cannot do that, there are consequences for it, if you use that spell…..” Celestia tried to say looking fearful before Luna cut her off.

“I will not be alone, I love him, and I’ll do whatever it takes to keep him with me for all eternity!” As she said these words, Luna prepared a teleportation spell and had her horn light up with her dark blue aura. After she finished her sentence, both her and Midnight vanished.

“NO!” Celestia cried out. She quickly activated her magic and teleported away back to the castle, thinking that is where she went.

Celestia reappeared in the throne room. “GUARDS!” She called out.

Two stallion guards galloped in and up to Celestia. “Yes your majesty.” One of them responded.

“Search the castle, get every guard to search all over the castle for Luna and Midnight Star, we must find them quickly.” Celestia ordered.

“Right away your highness.” The other guard said. The two bowed and galloped off to follow their orders.

Celestia flew out of the throne room to begin her own search. “Luna, where are you?” She asked herself.