• Published 21st Dec 2013
  • 22,796 Views, 748 Comments

Pretty in Pink - Sarcastic Brony



Anon was rather content with his life in Equestria. Now, he must comes to terms with his feelings about a certain pink pony.

  • ...
79
 748
 22,796

Rainbow Dash

Hello again. I’ve been thinking lately about what you exactly mean to me. Sure Twilight said it would be good to log my experiences in Equestria, but perhaps you would like to know more about my friends? The way I figure it, you’re kinda like my friend too, right? Sure you can't talk, but you listen to how my day went and never judge me. Maybe even one day when I’m old and grey you would like to tell me how crazy I was when we were younger?

I know it sounds kinda sappy, but honestly, I don't think you can fully appreciate my friends unless I tell you about them. They’re a large part of my life. So, how about we start with my bro. Rainbow Dash.


I had already been in Equestria for a few weeks but everyone still ignored me out of fear.
So rather than walk around town and part the sea of ponies.
I decided to sit alone at the lake.

I stare out to the lone lake feeling rather blue today. I’ve been in Equestria for a few weeks now and still these ponies haven't warmed up to me yet. Was I doing something wrong? I know the fact I eat meat is rather off putting to them. So that didn't really help my case. I pick up a few local rocks and toss them into the lake. Letting out a sigh, I sit and think of what to do with my new life. Slowly I could feel my eyes start to well up.

Honestly, I don't know why I started to cry as I look at the water. Maybe it’s the fact that I don't have a job, ponies are afraid of me or maybe I just don't have anyone to talk to about this. Pinkie’s a great pony at cheering me up and trying her best to get the others to ease up around me, but I can't really talk to Pinkie about serious stuff. Mostly because I don't want to sour her mood.

Those thoughts are trivial though. All I know is that I am looking to this lake with tears running down my face for more reasons than I could ever comprehend. Being literally thrown into a world where you don't belong. It’s a lot to take in.

“Hey, Anon!” I hear someone call from behind. “What are yo-”

I look up and see Rainbow is standing to the side of me now. I quickly rub my face to clear away my tears. No reason to make the others worry about my problems..

“H-hey, Rainbow Dash.” I say trying to clear my throat.

“Anon, are you alright?” She asks concerned.

I look at her with a fake smile. “Never better, Rainbow Dash.”

Thats gets me a frown in return. “No you’re not. I seen you crying.”

“I wasn't crying.” I try to explain. “Just some dirt in my eyes is all.”

That look of concern comes back as she takes a seat next to me.

“Listen. You know you can talk to me or my friends if you have problems. Right?”

I nod my head a little. “Yeah, I know.”

“So?” She tries to press.

“So what?” I ask feeling slightly irritated.

“What's the problem?”

I let out a frustrated sigh.

“The problem? Well, where do you want me to start?” I say hotly.

She ignores my hostility and says. “Wherever you think is right.”

“Honestly, I don't even know. Being stuck in this ponyland. Having everyone afraid of me. Not having a job. Being absolutely...” I feel my voice fall at the last word.. “alone.”

“You’re not alone, Anon. You got me and my friends.”

I shake my head. “Not like that, Rainbow. I-I’m the only species here. Can you even understand what it feels like to be the only one of your kind in a place that doesn't even feel like home.” I dig my fingers into the grass and tear some out as I look at it. “This.” I show her my hand full of grass. “This isn't home.”

“The princesses are trying, Anon.” Rainbow tries to cheer me up. “Give it a few more days and I guarantee that you will be back home in no time.”

I look over just in time to see her face fall to a more melancholy state as that leaves her mouth. She turns her gaze to the lake as she sits next to me.

“You alright?” I might as well return the favor.

“I-It just hit me is all. You will be leaving and..” She looks over at me. “I know you feel alone, but, I would miss you if you left. You’re my friend and there’s nothing that can change that.”

I can't help but feel my heart warm at the honesty in her words. I let out a sigh.

“I would miss you too.” I admit as we both look at the lake.

I honestly feel a lot better after having said those things to Rainbow. It wasn't much but even that little bit felt a great deal lighter on my shoulders.

“Hey, Rainbow.” I catch her attention. “Maybe we can do this again sometime?”

She raises a brow at me. “What do you mean?”

“You know, just talk about stuff. I know it sounds a little weird but..” I look at her again. “I can't say this stuff to the other ponies. I don't want to depress Pinkie. Applejack is always busy. Rarity is in the same boat. Fluttershy is still afraid of me. You’re kinda the only pony I think I can talk to about some hard stuff.”

“What about Twilight?”

I chuckle a little as I look the ground. “She would have a hard time not cataloging my emotions or something.” I let out a sigh. “I know she means well.”

Rainbow gave me a small chuckle. “Yeah, she gets like that, but she also knows when she needs to be serious.”

I look at Rainbow. “It’s not just that. I don't know.. Don't you ever get the feeling you can't talk to your friends about stuff?”

She looks over to me with some surprise as she then suppresses it and gives a nod.

“Yeah.” She admits.

“Well, maybe we can talk to each other about stuff. Not have to worry the others and keep it between the two of us.”

She rubs her chin with her hoof in thought.

“Well, it’s a pretty good idea.” She admits after some thought. “How do I know you won't go blabbing our secrets?” She questions.

“Pinkie promise?”

She nods. “Pinkie promise.”

I haven't been here long but I easily sensed that this “Pinkie promise” is a rather big deal to these ponies. So it was with that, we both do the weird like motions and agree we wouldn't speak a word to anyone about what we’ve said together in confidence.

“So, where do we start?” I ask.

“How about we enjoy the sunset?” She asks as she looks over the lake. “I love to watch it, to be honest.”

“Is that why you’re here?” I ask as I look over the lake as the sun makes its slow descent.

She nods. “Yeah, but Twilight told me you didn't seem so good today and I wanted to cheer up my favorite monkey.” She quips with a grin.

“This coming from, Skittles?” I say with a grin as well.

“Skittles?” She repeats the name confused. “What does that mean?”

I just grin at her more. “Wouldn’t you like to know.”

I see her get up and take a attack stance.

“Tell me!”

“Never!”

With that does she lunge at me and tackle me to the ground. I quickly wrap my arms around her and throw her off, she lands on her hooves and I roll over and onto my knees. We both look at each other, trying to stare the other down. Soon our standoff ends with us both laughing out loud.

“You should’ve seen your face!” She says.

“My face?! What about yours when I wrapped my arms around you? You looked like a deer in the headlights!” I say between chuckles.

Soon our laughter died down as we both returned to looking at the sun.

“Seriously though, that better not be an insult.” She says while the sun hits it's twilight phase.

I shake my head never looking away from the horizon. “Nah, they’re sweet.” I then look at her. “Just like you.”


I can't help but smile as I write that memory down. Rainbow and I got closer the more we talked to each other about things. For the first time in a long while I actually felt that I had a small piece of my life back. Rainbow was more than just my friend at that point, she was starting to become family. Though, I will admit.. There was this one time that we agreed to never speak of again. It was tied to so many truths and a lot of embarrassment.

This was the time that I tried to ask Rainbow Dash out on a date and she told me she was gay.. Man, talk about awkward.


“It was pretty sweet that Twilight could do this.” I admit to Rainbow as I walk around her house.

“Yeah! I mean, now you can see how awesome my home is!” She says from inside of her bedroom.

“So what’re we going to do?” I ask feeling slightly nervous.

There is a reason I am feeling nervous right now. Rainbow and I have been together a lot lately. For the past few weeks we have been spending a lot of time together. I don't know why but I feel like I want to try and see if she would like to go out on a date or something. I mean, I’ve never seen anypony as a romantic interest before but, well, Rainbow and I are friends. Does it even count as the same thing?

Honestly, all these emotions I’m feeling are confusing me. I don't know if I’m just crazy or what but something in the back of my head keeps screaming that this is a bad idea. I write it off as just some nervousness. I mean, who wouldn't be nervous? Everyone is nervous the first time they ask someone out. It’s going to be simple though. Just, ask her out. We are close, talk about some heavy stuff. There is no need to hide my feelings from her.

“You doing alright there, Anon?”

I shake my head from the haze of thought as I look to see Rainbow flying in front of my face. Her look of concern is clear on her face. I quickly look away from her eyes.

Dammit Anon, just.. do it!

“T-There is-s something I want-t to talk to you a-about.” I stutter nervously.

She gets serious as she points to one of her couches.

“Please, sit.” She says..

I nod as I take my seat, her joining next to me.

“Whatever it is, it must be big.” She says looking worried now.

I am trembling slightly. So many thoughts running through my mind. J-Just do it! I steel myself over as I quickly make my move. I lean over to Rainbow and plant a simple kiss on her lips. I see her eyes go wide as she quickly pulls her face away.

“A-Anon! W-wha?”

She wasn't sure what to say and I wasn't sure how to gauge her reaction. Is she mad? Was I too quick or did she not like me too? I can't tear my eyes away from her as I try to talk.

“I-I..um.. I like you a-and I thought maybe we could..” I gulp. “Go out?”

Her eyes seem to go unfocused for a moment as she tries to piece together everything I just said.

“You’re serious?” She asks not showing much emotion other than shock.

I give a slight nod. “I-I think.. I mean.. Maybe?”

I feel myself breaking down slowly at her continued shock.

“D-dude.. I-.. Theres something I.. I should tell you.” She takes a few breaths. “T-this is serious though, Anon.. You can't tell a soul about this.”

The look she gives me is one of desperation. I can feel the weight of her words as she looks at me. I give her a nod to continue.

“Anon.. I-I like mares.” She admits.

In that second I feel my skin go numb. I-I can't believe this.. How did I not see it before? That way she looked at other mares. How she talked about the figures of other mares. I thought she was just trying to make me feel weird, but now, now I realise she wasn't kidding.

I put a hand to my mouth. “I-I think I need some air.”

I quickly get up and walk out of her home. I walk over to the clouds edge as to try and keep my stomach from spilling. It isn't the fact she is gay that made me sick.. No, it’s that I just asked someone gay out and got shut down for it. I can't blame her for that. Who could? But I can't stop the sickness with logic.

“Anon..” I don't turn around as the sound of someone approaching me becomes louder. “Anon, please say something.”

I finally remove my hand from my mouth having settled my stomach.

“I can't believe I was so stupid.” I say under my breath. I start to chuckle sadly. “It was right there in my face all along and I.. I didn't notice.”

“Anon, it's alright..” She tries to speak softly but I was stuck in my own world.

“I can't believe I just did this.. ” I feel the memories flash back. “Stupid!”

“Just come inside and we can talk about this.” Rainbow urges.

“Why didn't I see it?” I mumble. “Was I just hoping it wasn't true?” I let out a sigh. “Why can't I just go back..”

I slowly take a seat on the edge of the cloud as I put my face into my hands. Trying my best to calm down.

“Hey.” I feel Rainbows wing wrap around me. “W-Were still friends, right?” She asks nervously. “Y-You don't think i'm a.. freak.” I hear her voice fall at that.

I remove my hands from my face as I look over to see Rainbow looking off into the distance.

“Freak? What do you mean?” I ask confused.

She lets out another sigh as she scoots closer to me.

“I-.. I once told my parents that.. That I was.. well.. You know.” I give a nod. “They didn't like that.. Told me I was a freak and didn't care about pony kind.” I then see her shift to anger. “How is it my fault that we don't have enough stallions! How is it my fault that I like mares!” She makes sure to reel in her voice at the last word.

She then leans her head against my shoulder. “Y-You don't hate me because of that.. Do you?”

I feel my shoulders slump at that.

“How could I ever hate you?” I ask. “You’re..You’re” I then suddenly feel something click in my head.

“Anon. What's wrong?” She asks concerned.

I start to giggle, then it builds from that to full blown laughter. I can't help myself now as I fall on my back and start to laugh at the sky.

“What’s so funny?” Rainbow confused as to why I am laughing..

I wrap my arms around her and pull her to my chest as I smile at her.

“I’m such an idiot, Dash.” I admit.

“Idiot about what?” She as she tries to wriggle from my grasp..

“I was thinking my feelings were romantic..” I start to chuckle.

“T-they weren't?”

I nod. “I was confused about my feelings.. Because.. Rainbow.. You’re not my friend.” I see her fur stand on end but before she could speak I continued. “You’re family.. Hell, you’re more than family to me. I-I just didn't realise it till now.” I admit with some redness in my cheeks.

“Y-You really mean that?” She looks down to me with shock.

I nod. “Yeah, you’re more than my friend, Dash. You’re my bro and bro’s stick together. Even if one bro accidently asks the other out because he was confused.” I quickly tack on the last bit.

I see her face start to smile as everything comes together.

“Oh my gosh.” She says as she busts up laughing. Her rolling off my chest as she too falls to her back laughing it up. “I-I can't believe you asked me out!”

I wave her off. “Yeah yeah.. Honest mistake. Emotions are like that.”

She quickly gets up and shakes her ass in my face.

“Yeah, I bet you wanted to get this hot piece of flank! But sorry buddy, your hands don't get to touch.”

She says looking away with her head held up. I grin madly as I quickly slap her ass, hard. She jumps up with a yelp and spins around on a dime.

“What was that about not putting my hands on your ass?” I say with a shit eating grin.

“That’s it!”

She throws herself on top of me as we try to wrestle each other into submission. All the while us both laughing it up with smiles on our faces.


I shake my head with a grin at that memory. Even now I feel the embarrassment from that day. But to be honest. That revelation about Rainbow actually changed my entire outlook on life after that day. I knew I had her and she would be loyal till the end and that was something I took to heart. Rainbow agreed to not speak of my accidental feelings for her and I agreed to not tell anyone about her preferences for mares. Doing another Pinkie promise so we were solid.

I hear someone knock on the door to my home.

“Hey, Anon. You going to hurry up or what!” I can easily hear Rainbow yell.

“Hold your horses!” I call back, knowing she hates that saying.

“Ugh!” I hear her yell as she waits impatiently.

I look back to my journal. With a smile I write one last thing.

Never change, Rainbow.

Author's Note:

[General edits made to this chapter on 1/21/15]

Thought I would cover some character stuff. I know my first chapter seemed to skip over a large portion of character development, making it all simply established. So. I thought a nice little idea is that sometimes Anon will write about his friends and how they became as such between each main chapter. Was that a good idea? I would hope so.

Also, if anyone would be interested in proof reading.. Well, let me know!

Anyways, another small gift.. Till next chapter!