• Published 21st Dec 2013
  • 22,708 Views, 748 Comments

Pretty in Pink - Sarcastic Brony



Anon was rather content with his life in Equestria. Now, he must comes to terms with his feelings about a certain pink pony.

  • ...
79
 748
 22,708

Day Twenty Three

I’m quickly packing my bags and getting them all ready to leave. I made sure to get all the bits I have been saving that Celestia has been sending. It would hold me over for awhile. I can guarantee that. I look over to my work desk and see my journal laying there for me. I walk over to it and grab the quill that was next to it.

This is the only choice I have.

With that simple line written. I make sure to pack my journal as well. I give one last look at my house and give a long sigh. This was the right choice. I know it is.


I ran. I ran as fast as my legs could take me. I ran for many reasons. I ran because of the truth. I ran because of the sadness. I ran because I had to set things right. Everything was still a jumbled mess of what everything means but a single thought held firm. Rainbow deserves a chance. Whether I had gotten it right in the end or maybe confused myself more. I knew one thing had to happen today. I had to let Rainbow explain.

I have no idea where Rainbow could be right now. I didn't see her at the lake, that ruled out one spot. I knew she wasn't at her house because I ran past there a little while ago and tried to call to her. There is a chance she was just ignoring me after what happened but deep down I knew she wasn't there. So I ran. I kept running even as I made it to Fluttershy’s cottage.

It was early. Probably too early for most ponies but I was a man on a mission. I had wronged someone and needed to set it right. I knock on the door frantically. It comes flying open with no one standing there. I look down and see Angel giving me an annoyed look.

“Thank god it’s you.” I say with a sigh. “I’m sorry to be coming by so early but I really fucked up big time Angel. Have you seen Rainbow at all?”

I think he could hear the worry in my voice as his scowl drops. He rubs a paw against his chin in thought. He then looks back to me and shakes his head. I reach down and pat him on the head.

“Thanks. Sorry for waking you.”

I take off again before I make too much noise and wake Fluttershy. So Rainbow wasn't at the lake, home or Fluttershy’s place. That only left a few more options. Last I remember I think she took off towards Sweet apple Acres. It was all I needed as I change my direction and make a mad dash towards the farm. I can feel my mind flood with random memories of Rainbow.


“So what have you been up to?” I ask her as we walk through town.

“Same old cloud duty.” She says bored.

“No new tricks you been working on?”

She shakes her head. “Nah, haven't had the freetime.”

“What do you wanna do today?”

“Cider season is going to start in a month. Want to camp out with me?” She says excitedly.

I let out a sigh. “Really Rainbow? Applejack is your friend. Have you ever thought to, I don't know, ask if she can save you a barrel? I mean, you will pay for it so I don't see why she would deny you.”

I keep walking as Rainbow stops in place.

“Why didn't I think of that?” I hear her whisper. “So Anon, wanna come by Sweet apple Acres with me?”

I roll my eyes. “Sure Rainbow.”


I was tired but I would not be denied. I knew that if it was raining then the Apples would be working mostly in the barn, sorting and the like. I quickly push the barn door open and show myself in. I look around frantically and see Big Mac standing there. When his eyes meet mine I knew something was wrong. It held a certain fire behind them.

“Anon.” He says simply.

“Big Mac. I don't know what is going on but I really need your help.” I plead.

“Not too sure I should.” He says with that look still present.

“Mac I need to find Rainbow. This is important.” I say again but more stern.

“Well I don't think that would be wise. Way I seen her yesterday was something I’ve never seen a mare been put through before.” His gaze turns solid as he takes a few steps towards me. “My Pa always told me to treat a mare right. Never make her cry and tha’ like. I don't rightly know what ya did to her but it wasn't pretty from what I could tell.”

I didn't shrink at his gaze. If anything hearing this only strengthened my resolve!

“I did something terrible Mac and I gotta make it right!” I yell at him. “You can't just take that away from me!”

I see his gaze deepen as if he is looking for something. After awhile he gives a stiff nod.

“At least yur’ honest.” He answers as he turns around and goes to a bucket of apples. “She left. AJ and I couldn't get much out of her. All she said was ‘Anon, hate and not friends’.”

I face away from him. “I can't fucking believe this.” I say under my breath. “Stupid. Stupid!” I belittle myself.

I feel something settle on my shoulder. I look over and see one of Mac’s hooves.

“Last I seen she went off to Ponyville. Don't know where but I reck’n that’s where she’ll be.”

I give him a nod. “Thanks Mac. If AJ asks, let her know I mean to fix what I caused.”

I didn't wait for a reply. Chances are he wouldn't have given one anyways. I make a mad dash towards Ponyville. I needed to find her.


“Who is Daring Do?!” Rainbow shouts. “I can't believe my ears here!”

“Hey!” I yell defensively. “I’m an alien.”

She lets out a groan. “That’s your excuse for everything!”

I smirk at her. “And it’s a very valid excuse as well. Am I right purple?” I face Twilight.

She rolls her eyes at the name. “While I do think you mostly use it to get on our nerves. I will have to agree that he probably doesn't know who Daring Do is.” She lets out a sigh.

I nod in victory. “That’s right.”

“Twilight!” Rainbow locks eyes with her. “Study time for Anon. Get every Daring Do book you got!”

I hold up my hand in surrender. “Alright Rainbow no need to get crazy now. We can talk this out right?”

She shakes her head. “No way! You need to see how awesome Daring Do is!”

I look over and see Twilight is already stacking books and even some quills and ink.

“Et tu Twilight?” I say sadly.

She rolls her eyes. “Come on it won't be that bad Anon. I swear it won't even take seventy-two hours.” Twilight states matter of factly.

I feel my eyes go wide. “Nope!” I yell as I quickly run out the door.

“Anon!” I could hear Rainbow yell as she gave chase.


The storm was picking up again. I needed to find Dash now or else I would be forced to take shelter till it passes over. I quickly made my way to Rarity’s. She came here before so maybe she was here again. I knock the the door seeing as the lights were clearly on. When the door comes flying open I’m surprised to see Spike when I look down.

His eyes narrow. “Oh, it’s you.”

The way he said that send a literal chill into my heart. It was dripping with malice.

“Spike I-”

“I don't want to hear what you want.” He cuts in.

I feel my anger boil. “Dammit Spike! I need to see Rainbow!” I yell.

“Yeah? Well maybe she doesn't want to see you!” He yells back.

“I don't have time for this! I have to find her and tell her that I messed up!” I yell back.

“You can say that again.” He says sarcastically.

I was close to losing it if I didn't get this over with.

“You’re here. So that means one of two things. You came here in the middle of the night for no reason or Twilight sent you here.” I deduce out loud.

I didn't even need to finish that sentence as I ran from the boutique and towards the library. Rainbow had to be there. There was no way she couldn't be there! I kept running even as the memories flood into my mind.


Rainbow and I lay next to each other while we look at the sky. I look over to Rainbow.

“You know I like days like this, just hanging out with my bro.” I say with a smile.

She looks back to me and smiles as well. “Tell me about it. It feels good just to chill with somepony that likes to sit back and watch the sky.”

I chuckle a bit. “It’s a lot more entertaining on earth. Seeing as our clouds move on their own.” I look back to the sky.

“Big woop, clouds move. How is that entertainment?”

“Well sometimes they deform into shapes. All you need to do is imagine what the shape represents.”

“So what, this isn't entertaining for you?” She asks.

I shrug. “Not in the same way. Don't get me wrong it’s relaxing but it isn't entertaining.”

“Wanna make it more interesting?”

I was going to ask her what she meant but before I could register anything Rainbow was straddling me.

“What do you think about this big guy.” She tries to give me a sultry look.

I roll my eyes. “I think you’re just teasing me again. How is this entertaining?”

“Well, like this.”

She leans in and our lips meet. I feel the shock run up my spin as I try to process what just happened. Rainbow pulls back with a smirk.

“So, how was it?” She asks with a cocky grin.

“Uhhh...” 404 brain not found.

She giggles. “Thought so. That’s what you get for not reading Daring Do with me.”

My brain finally reboots. “I-uh... Yeah...”

She then looks concerned. “Did I go too far?”

I slowly shake my head. “No,” I clear my throat as I look away. “Didn't see that coming.”

She pokes my chest. “You know I’m just messing with you.”

I feel a slight tug in my heart but smile back. “I guess you’re right.”

I put my hand behind her neck and pull her to meet our lips again. This time I take it farther as I stick my tongue in her mouth. I can hear the surprised gasp that comes from her as we both pull away.

“Dude!” She says wiping her mouth. “Not cool!”

I chuckle. “Who said bro’s couldn't tongue rustle every now and then?”

She looks to me and shakes her head. “Why do I even put up with you?”

“Because you love me.” I say with a grin.

She scoffs. “Yeah? Well you love me too, so I guess we’re even.”


I stood before the library door probably soaking wet now from my time out here. I think back to that memory. That was a few days after Rainbow had told me she was into mares and we spend time together. It was also the first time we ever did anything so intimate just to joke around with each other. After that day we grew really close. Always kissing, cuddling and different things like that.

At the time I just wrote it off as something bros do. Yet I knew deep down that was the farthest from the truth. I didn't need to think of that right now, I had something to do. Even as I stand before this door I can hear faint whispers from inside. I can't understand what is being said but I hold my breath as I place a few strong knocks.

The sound of hooves can be heard as it approaches the door. The door opens wide and reveals my worst nightmare. All of them, they were all here. Rarity, Twilight, Applejack, Fluttershy and Pinkie. When they realise who was at the door I could practically feel the venom dripping from them. All except Pinkie and Fluttershy, The former was just looked to me with tears in her eyes and the latter couldn't even face me.

I was in the lions den now. I really have no choice but to move forward.

“Have any of you seen Rainbow?” I didn't need to ask. The answer was obvious.

Their eyes all narrow at me but Pinkie just looks away.

“I think it would be best if you leave Anon.” Twilight says as neutrally as she can manage.

That wasn't a request, that was an order. I knew it but I have to speak to Rainbow. I wasn't just going to give up. Not while I still have a chance.

“I’ll leave but I need to see her. I don't care if it is just a few minutes. I have to see her.” I put as much weight into my words as I could.

I didn't even notice Applejack as she walks up to me and shoves me back. I stumble back a bit but was lucky I didn't slip and fall to the ground. I look at Applejack as her anger is clear for me to see.

“Go on! Rainbow don't need to be seeing the likes of you!” She shouts.

I feel my fists clench. I was so close, I can't give up.

“I wasn't asking.” I say in a low tone.

“What was that?!” Applejack takes a threatening step forward.

“N-Now Applejack. Everypony just calm down.” Rarity tries to ease the situation.

Applejack’s eye were locked with mine.

“I said I wasn't asking. I need to see her and I’m going to do just that. Come hell or high water.” I look around. “I already got one, you going to be the next?”

“You’re gonna have to get past me.” Applejack makes it clear.

I let out a long sigh as I lower my stand some. The girls clearly knew what this meant. They have seen me get into more than a few fights with Rainbow. Most of them were for fun or when we were particularly drunk. This though. I wasn't going to hold back.

“Maybe we can let him see her for a little?”

Everyone freezes at that voice. Did Fluttershy really speak up for me? Applejack quickly looks over to her.

“Have you seen what he did to her?!” Applejack yells. “I never seen Rainbow so broken in my life!”

I wince at that. Though when I look back I see Fluttershy had a genuine look of concern on her face.

“I-I just think everypony deserves another chance. Just look at him.” She looks to me. “Can't you see he is hurting as well?”

All the ponies look over to me as I drop my stance. I’m not sure what they saw when they looked at me honestly. They just looked to me for awhile and didn't really react much. If anything I would say that my expression was mostly of shock. Had Fluttershy really done that?

“Why?” I hear Pinkies voice break the silence. I see her look up to me with tears in her eyes. “Why were you mean to Dashie?”

I bite my lip. “I-It’s complicated.” I answer.

“Aint so complicated from what I hear.” Applejack comes in. “You just up an told her to get out of your life.”

I look to her with a hard gaze. “Don't act like you know what is going on.” I warn.

“What is going on?” Twilight comes in. “Right now we’re all pretty much in the dark. Rainbow only said that you wanted her out of your life. We have no idea what is going on.”

I look away. “Let me talk to Rainbow. This isn't something for you to hear.”

“I do-”

“J-Just let him try.” Fluttershy cuts in.

They all gather into a small group and start whispering to each other. It takes awhile but soon they all come to an understanding from what I could tell.

“You have five minutes.” Twilight warns. “After that we want you to leave.”

I clear my throat and gulp. “Alright.”

I walk past them as they give me a wide birth. I slowly ascend Twilight’s stairs and enter her room. I cast a brief glance behind me and see the girls all looking at me with caution. I let out a single sigh as I walk into Twilight’s room. As I look up to her bed I can see a small lump was there. This was it. This was what I was looking for. I climb up to where the bed is and look down and see Rainbow there, curled up into a little ball. Her back was facing away from me but I could tell she wasn't doing too good.

Her fur was sticking about every which way. Some of her feathers looked broken and unkept. I just sigh sadly at the state she is in. I walk over to her and take a seat on the edge of the bed. I don't know what I’m thinking right now so I just do what feels natural. I fall onto my side next to her and pull her close to my chest. The reaction is immediate. I feel her wrap her hooves around my arms and start to tremble.

I never wanted this to happen. I just wanted things to be perfect. As I hold her I can't help but feel myself slip into another memory.


Rainbow had passed out next to me on the cloud couch after she pulled out the hard liquor for us to drink. I look down to her with a sad smile, drifting in and out of consciousness. I run my hand down her mane as she sleeps. I feel my eyes glisten some.

“You know I lied.” I whisper to her knowing she couldn't hear me. “I love you more than you will ever know. You aren't just my bro, you’re more than that.” I can feel my tears falling now as I pulled her close. I kiss her on the top of her head. “I’ll love you Rainbow, no matter what.”


I clench my teeth together as I hold Rainbow closer.

“I just couldn't take the thought of losing her Dash.” I say sadly as I hold her closer.

“What?” She asks in a hoarse voice.

“I didn't want to lose Pinkie. When Rarity told me you liked a stallion,” I chuckle some. “I thought she meant Pinkie.” I squeeze her a little harder. “I thought you loved her. Wanted to take her from me and I couldn't bear that thought. I couldn't lose her Dash,” She turns around to face me and I can see the look of confusion on her face. “Because I already lost you.” I whisper the last part out.

“Ano-”

“No.” I cut her off. “Let me finish. I don't have much time.” I take a few deep breaths. “Rainbow. That day when I asked you out, the day you told me you were into mares.” I feel my hold on her tighten. “I really did love you Rainbow. I wanted to date you and I wanted it all. I wanted us to be together. But how could we? I couldn't bear the thought of losing you, so I did the only thing I could. I kept you close. You were my bro and yet, you were always more.”

I look away from her. “Maybe I’ve been denying it this whole time. It wasn't until I started to remember some things that it came to me. You weren't my bro, not really. That was just a lie, something to keep you close.” I then bit the inside of my cheek. “But I had to move on. Chasing a rainbow never ends well. So I found Pinkie. I liked her and you know what? I fell in love with her. I can't change that. Just like how I can't nor would I ever change you.”

She was crying again as I run my hand through her mane. “I love you Rainbow, I have and always will but I also realised something about this entire thing.”

“What was that?” She asks between tears.

“We both need to wake up. We can't continue this charade anymore. What we had together was just wishful thinking on my end and because of it I probably caused you the most hurt in the end.” I look down and see the soft glow the necklace I gave her. “This wasn't just a gift to a friend Rainbow.” I chuckle sadly. “This was your gift as my Marefriend. This is a gift from a point in my life that can never be.”

I see Rainbow clench her eyes shut as the tear flow.. “I love you.” She says sadly.

I hold her tighter. “I never stopped loving you.”

“I’m scared Anon. I’m scared of everything changing.” She admits. “I-I don't want what we have to end.”

I could feel a few tears running down my cheek. “I’ll always be your friend Rainbow.”

“N-No! Y-You’re my bro! We, We...” She leans in and gives me a long intimate kiss. “Bros are allowed to be like this!” She says with a plastic smile.

“No...” I feel slip past my lips. “They aren't.”

She buries her head into my chest and lets loose. I just hold her tight as I let my own tears fall.

“Please, please don't...” She pleads. “I don't want to be alone.”

“You will never be alone Rainbow. You have 5 great friends that will always be there. One day you will find someone that will love you back Rainbow. I promise you that.” I state matter of factly.

I didn't want it to be like this. If I could just go back and change it all I would. It was my own fault from the very beginning. I had put her through this and I must reap what I sew.

“Just go to sleep Rainbow. I promise it will be better tomorrow.”

“I-I don't want to...” She says with fear.

She couldn't protest much though. I could feel her already drifting from consciousness.

I kiss her forehead. “Goodnight Rainbow.” I whisper.

I slowly let go of her once I knew she was fully asleep. I get out a bed and walk into the main room as I gently close the door behind me. I look down to see that all my friends have tears in their eyes. I clench my jaw some. They were eavesdropping.

“How much?” I ask.

“All of it.” Twilight answers.

I could feel my anger reach an entire new level. It wasn't because they listened into a private moment. It was because they heard me confess Rainbows preference to mares. That was her secret and not something I wanted to share. I walk past them and out into the storm. Even as they try to call out to me I didn't care. I just kept walking until I made it to the very fountain where this started.

I just stood there looking to the sky as the rain washed over me. The storm was getting worse but I didn't care. I needed to clear my mind. I needed to get away. Everything hurts so much inside.

“Anon.” I turn around and see Pinkie standing there alone. “You love her?”

I look away. “I do.”

“Do you love me?”

I look back to her with tears in my eyes but the rain probably hid them well.

“More than you could possibly know.” I say simply.

She doesn't say anything more as she runs up to me and takes me into an embrace. I didn't need to guess if she was crying. I could hear her as plain as day as she buried her head into my stomach. I don't know how long I was holding her for or when the rain stopped. All I know is that I was sitting on the edge of the fountain with Pinking in my grasp.

“I love you too.”

I feel my heart skip a beat.

“What?” I ask shocked.

Pinkie looks up to me with a sad smile. “I said I love you too.”

I knew what she said but I couldn't help but feel my heart ache a little less. I won't deny it, I could feel the tears running down my cheeks.

“I-I love you Pinkie.” I say as I pull her into a kiss.

Soon we break apart and give small smiles at each other. I loved her, I won't ever deny that. But there was still something important. Something we need to talk about.

“Pinkie, about Rai-”

Pinkie puts her hoof gently to my lips to silence me. She shakes her head gently as she lets out a sad sigh.

“I think we should leave for awhile.” Pinkie says.

“What?” I ask rather shocked.

She looks into my eyes. “I-I know Dashie. She’s going to need some time to herself and having us around isn't going to help. When we come back. We can sit down and talk. You, me and Rainbow.”

The look in her eyes. The tone of her voice. She was serious. There was no punchline, no surprise party wherever we were going to. Pinkie truly believed we needed to leave.

I nod. “Get something packed. I need to stop by the house.”

She gives me one last kiss as she quickly takes off. I ran back to my house as well to pack all the bits Celestia has been paying me and as many clothes as I could carry. I don't know how long Pinkie plans us to be gone for but I trust her with all my heart.


The train was pulling out of the station. I shake my memories away as I pull out my journal again. I can't help but look down at the mare I love as she rests on my lap.

As long as you’re by my side. I don't care where we go Pinkie.

I pack my journal away in my bag as I lean my head against the window. I hope the girls understand why we left. Pinkie said she left them a note and that we wouldn't be gone for long. I know Pinkie still is confused over everything and when she wakes up I intend to have a long talk with her about it. As long as I’m with her though, I feel I can take on the world.

Author's Note:

So, how'd I do?
*Insert cocky grin*