• Published 16th Mar 2012
  • 3,417 Views, 58 Comments

Recalling the Nightmare - Juu50x



Sort of sequel to Nightmare's lullaby.

  • ...
4
 58
 3,417

Chapter 14 - A New Dawn

I don’t own MLP: FiM or its characters. They belong to Lauren Faust and Hasbro.


Recalling the Nightmare

Chapter 14
A New Day

The two Princess's watched as the alicorn that was their mother vanished from sight. Her last words a faint “I am proud of you.” That lingered on the air. Neither of them said anything, just looking at the spot where she had stood moments ago. A long silence laid between them, but it was broken as the ponies suddenly stirred and let out small pained groans.

Slowly, the five mares got up. All of them got up slowly, rubbing their heads. “Uuugh... my head...” Rainbow groaned.

“Not so loud Rainbow Dash!” Rarity said in unnecessary dramatic tone. “Aaahh! Now I'm the one who is talking loudly!”

“Wow, just how many apple ciders did Ah drink...?” Applejack joked, or at least tried.

“I don't like this feeling at all...” Fluttershy muttered. Her head covered by both of her hooves.

“Wow...” Pinkie said. “THAT WAS SO FUN! I WANNA DO IT AGAIN!” she suddenly started jumping around. looking like she was the only one who wasn't affected while her other friends grimaced at their loud mouthed friend.

“Pinkie Pie, I believe your friends would appreciate if you talk a bit quieter.” Princess Celestia said somewhat dryly, a small smile evident on her face.

“Oh, Okie Dokie Lokie!” Pinkie said. Stopping her bouncing

Everypony looked rather surprised at how Celestia was able to calm Pinkie down when she didn't even raise her voice that much.

“Ugh, Princess Celestia, what happened?” Rainbow asked, still somewhat groggy from the fading headache..

Celestia didn't answer immediately as she inspected the room and the damages it had suffered. She was surprised that it was still intact and that it didn't look that damaged, while the truth was something different.

“I'm not sure myself.” She admitted. She then turned her gaze to the five mares. “But it seems like there are some things about the Elements of Harmony that none of us were aware of it.” Revealing that this was something that even the wise Princess Celestia seemed to be confused about.

“What do you mean your highness?” Rarity asked. Eying her Element that she was now holding on her hoof.

“What she means is that the Elements seem to be containers for something, that neither of us were aware of...” Luna explained. While trying her best to hide her feelings about the subject. And she could see that Celestia was doing the same, but was doing somewhat better job. But at least the ponies didn't seem to notice their distress.

“What are ya talkin-” Applejack began to say.

“Oh! Hey Twilight! Good to see you awake!” Pinkie suddenly cut in, making everypony turn their gaze towards a certain purple unicorn who looked like she had committed a crime. Twilight then let out a loud ‘Eeep!’ sound, that could have made anyone confuse her for Fluttershy.

Before they could say anything, they looked on in shock as Twilight collapsed on the floor, covering her head with her hooves while sobbing really loudly. “I'm sorry, I'm so, so, so, SO sorry!” She cried. For a moment none of them made a move. Until they were encouraged by Celestia, who gave the five mares a gentle nudge with heir wings.

Slowly, they all started walking towards their distressed friend, not completely sure what to say. But they didn't get really far when they were suddenly stopped by a force field. “No! Don't come near me!” Twilight exclaimed fearfully. They all stared at her like she was crazy.

“Please...” She pleaded. “I... I don't want to hurt you... again...” Twilight whimpered.

“Twilight...” Rarity said, her own eyes slowly watering up. “Please, don't be like this, you weren't yourself...” She said, trying to cheer her unicorn friend up, but couldn't find the right words. “You don't need to blame herself...”

“BUT I AM TO BLAME!” Twilight cried out loudly. Suddenly getting up, showing her tear filled eyes that were full of different emotions. The sudden change of Twilight's state, made her friends take few steps back, while the Princesses took a few forward. “I KNEW WHAT I WAS DOING BUT I WASN'T ABLE TO DO ANYTHING!!”

“Please... please Twilight...” Fluttershy then started. “Don't do this to yourself... I'm sure you tried your best...”

“Yeah!” Rainbow then said. “If there is anypony you want to blame, then take it out on Nightmare Moon!” but that didn't help much as Twilight crying was slowly sounding more like howling.

“DID YOU FORGET WHAT SHE SAID!?” Twilight yelled, horribly frustrated. “THAT I DID AND SAID ALL OF THOSE HORRIBLE THINGS BY MYSELF!!” Twilight then collapsed back onto the floor, her voice lowered again. “And she was right...” She sobbed. “... she was so right...”

“Are ya saying that ya saw the whole thing?” Applejack then asked. The only answer they got from Twilight was short cry that came from her, telling them enough.

“I'm horrible friend...” Twilight said dejected. “I... I don't deserve you girls... I don't deserve any of you...” she said. Her words directing towards both of her friends as well as Celestia and Luna.

“Now HOLD ON a second!” Pinkie Pie suddenly cut in, smashing her face against the force field. “Are you really saying that you don't want to be our friend anymore!” Pinkie asked. Her voice uncharacteristically completely serious.

“What?” Twilight asked shocked. Not exactly expecting something like from Pinkie Pie. “No... I mean-”

“So, we aren't good enough for you because you were little-biddie crazy for a moment?!” Pinkie interrupted Twilight. And before Twilight could have anything to say, her other friends then joined Pinkie Pie.

“Yeah!” Rainbow Dash said. “I thought that our friendship was stronger than this! And are you really saying that we should have just have left you to Nightmare Moon?” Twilight flinched horribly at that. It was a bit harsh and maybe a bit cruel. But it was the truth, and she knew it.

“Not in a million years!” Rarity exclaimed. “We care about you Twilight! More than you think!”

“And if ya really think that little temper tantrum of yours could actually destroy our friendship you are gosh darn wrong!” Applejack said determinately.

“Yes, we would be sad and felt horrible and maybe be bit angry with you, but that doesn't mean that we should end everything because of that.” Fluttershy said, her voice containing lot of courage.

“And we weren't best friends when tried to make you feel all fuzzy.” Pinkie Pie then said. This time bit more calmly, and some of her cheerful-self. “And we are really super-duper sorry about it.” She finished. This time sounding bit sad. “We were like really, really worried about you Twilight. And we kinda went over our heads...”

Twilight stared at her friends faces. All so sincere and apologetic. Slowly, she started getting her confidence back and got slowly up. But the force field was still in it's place. “So...” Rainbow Dash started.

“Can you ever forgive us Twilight?” Fluttershy asked.

“For not being good friends...” Applejack then said.

“And for doing something so horrible behind your back.” Rarity finished.

For a while Twilight didn't say a word. Suddenly her face seemed to be able to hide her emotions. All they could see was still the hurt, sadness and now confusion in those bloodshot eyes that had cried so hard.

Then they all were suddenly grabbed by the magical aura of Twilight. Being pushed right at her and then suddenly being embraced by a tight and warm hug. As Twilight starting to sobbing again, her other friends quickly joined her in the embrace.

“H... hey Twilight. Stop that.” Rainbow Dash said with a weak voice, while blinking her eyes. “You are making me feel all sappy and mushy and really uncool...” They all let out a small laugh at their friend Rainbow’s comment.

The laughter didn't last long and soon the friends separated from the hug, Twilight looking much more happier. “You are forgiven.” She said with a small smile. She never had felt so good and relieved. “If you can forgive those horrible things I said...” She added sadly.

“Of course we'll forgive ya.” Applejack said happily. She and rest of her friends giving Twilight an encouraging smile.

“You should feel proud to have such good friends, Twilight.” Celestia suddenly said, walking beside her student, with Luna right next to her.

Suddenly, Twilight felt all of her uncertainty returning to her as she saw the condition the two Princesses were in. “But, you don't need to blame yourself my prized student.” Celestia said comfortably. “You weren't the one making those decisions. Both my Sister and I do forgive you.” She said. While both both Princesses gave Twilight a warm smile.

“She is right Twilight Sparkle.” Luna then said. “You don't need to blame yourself. For anypony could have fallen into the Nightmare's trickery.” Her voice in regret. Not exactly the best choice of words, but they did their trick.

Twilight couldn't believe that after everything was that has happened, all of her friends. Including Celestia and Luna were also really forgiving. But this all still felt out of place. “But... what about now?” Twilight asked concerned. “There is no way any of us can forget this, unless someone throws a memory spell...” she suddenly added. “How can we go on with our lives?”

“It's true that what happened today changed things and we are going to remember it for the rest of our lives.” Luna started. “But there is something that you Twilight Sparkle, your friends and my sister have taught me: You can always learn from it and try your best to make it up.” Luna explained with confidence.

“It will be a hard trip for sure.” Luna then added. “I had to learn it in the hard way.” She said, her gaze turning to her big sister.

“And with your friends at your side, you are going to accomplish it.” Celestia finished with a smile.

“Hey Twilight?” Applejack then asked. Turning to her unicorn friend. “Ready to go home now?” she asked.

They watched Twilight, still looked unsure, but the comforting and encouraging looks. “Yes.” she answered. “Yes. I am.” she said again.

Twilight was ready to go back to Ponyville. Yet there was one question in Twilight's mind. A question that still troubled her. “Princess...” She started. Feeling bit unsure about the question and worried about the possible answer. “...how was Nightmare able to come back?” She asked, still feeling unsure. “I mean, I thought that she and Luna were the same-?” She quickly stopped herself when noticing the expression Luna wore.

Good job Twilight! You and your big mouth!” She scowled herself.

“Don't feel bad to ask a question that everpony wants answers for.” Celestia said, while calming Twilight down. “But I believe that Luna is more able to answer that question.” she said, looking at her younger sister.

Luna then let out a defeated sigh. She really didn't like to tell more things about her dark past, but Twilight and her friends deserved an answer. “It's true that once Nightmare and I were the same person. She was born from my sadness, jealousy and anger. But things changed once... I was banished...” She started explaining in a sad tone with her eyes on the floor. She looked up as Celestia put a comforting wing on her back, making her feel bit better.

“Many ponies believed that I, Nightmare Moon, was banished on the moon surface. But we were banished in to the moon. In a sort of sleep.” Luna cleared her throat when a small lump was rising in her throat.

“And there things started to... change. As the years passed, I had been torn between apologizing and forgiving my sister for banishing me to the moon and wanting to say that I was sorry about the horrible things I did.” They all noticed the guilty look Celestia had on her face when her younger sister reminded her of the past.

“And just wanting to take my ‘righteous’ revenge on her and bringing the Eternal Night as I had declared. I was completely torn, I felt like I was about to go completely mad. And before I knew it, somehow, Nightmare Moon was able to form its own conscious. But unlike me, it was much stronger and before I knew it, it had taken complete control of my body and mind. Leaving me alone in the darkness, nothing but a former shadow of myself. That is until you six came along and saved me.”

“But why did she come back even though you said that we saved you from her?” Twilight asked.

“I believe that before she could be fully cleansed, she somehow separated herself from me...” Luna said thoughtfully. “Even I'm not sure. But either way, she probably was able to separate a small part of herself, and it settled in the first creature it came in contact with. And that was you, Twilight Sparkle.”

“Bu... but why? Why me?” She asked in disbelieve.

“It should be obvious.” Luna said. “You are the Element of Magic, the most elusive of the Elements.”

“But, how did it take her almost a full year to control me?” Twilight then asked. It didn't make any sense! If she had Nightmare Moon in her this whole time, why hadn't she tried to take over earlier?

“Did you even hear me?” Luna asked. “I said that she separated small half of herself into you. She couldn't place herself fully into you as your body surely couldn't withstand such power that was Nightmare Moon.” Luna explained. “And these twelve months that she resided in you, she had no doubt been feeding off of your magic.”

It all started to make sense now. And that would also explain all the headaches and strange drained feelings she time to time had after using magic. But now she was gone. Gone for good! Well, that's what she was hoping.

“But we no longer have to fear the threat of Nightmare Moon, for she have been banished forever.” Luna then said happily. Trying to brighten up the current mood.

“But how did we do that?” Applejack suddenly asked. “Last thing Ah remember was Nightmare was still in Twilight and she was about to kick our sorry flanks.”

“You could say that the Elements of Harmony contains a lot more secret than any of use could think.” Celestia said mysteriously. She wanted to keep this information from the six. At least for now.

“Well, I'm not sure about you, but I'm finally ready to leave!” Rainbow said, little too impatiently.

“You and me both Rainbow Dash.” Twilight said. “Ugh, I can't imagine in what kind of mess the library probably is. I do hope that Spike and-” a sudden, and terrible thought, or rather, memory entered poor Twilight's mind.

“SPIKE!” Twilight suddenly exclaimed. Remembering her number one assistant. What Nightmare Moon had done to him. “What happened to Spike? Is he alright!? Please tell me he's alright!” she almost begged. “And Owloysius!” she exclaimed. “What about Owloysius!?”

“Don't worry Twilight. Spike is alright.” Celestia calmed the distressed unicorn. “While we entering the castle, we noticed him knocked out in front of the gates. He is safe.” Celestia assured her.

“And you need not to worry about your winged companion.” Luna then said. “When I entered Ponyville, I first came to investigate your library and found the owl unconscious and breathing. So I used a simple healing spell on the poor creature. I believe he is completely fine.”

Twilight sighted. At least her two other friends were alright as well. This whole night had been one big nightmare, and she was glad that it was finally over. “Alright.” she said, letting out a small sigh. “Now I'm ready to go.” She smiled at the others.

“Hold on a second!” Pinkie exclaimed, getting everyone's attention.

“What now Pinkie?” Rainbow groaned. Couldn't this pony just try to stay quiet as she done most of this night?

“I don't wanna go into the dark, creepy and spooky Everfree Forest again!” Pinky pointed outside, where it was still a night time. “I've already had a super-duper crazy scary night! And I most certainly don't like to have another!”

To that Celestia and Luna changed rather amused glances. “What you say little sister? Should we give these ponies a little sunshine?” Celestia asked.

“I believe so.” Luna said.

Their horns then glowing, all six mares then started watching as Luna moved the moon away, into the horizon, while sun was slowly rising, filling the slightly dark hall with warm, comforting sunlight.

Pushing away most of their moody thoughts and welcomed this change of scenery. And welcoming a new day. “Now that's more like it!” Pinkie said happily. “And this time we are going to have A REAL PARTY!!” As she started bouncing around all excitedly while rambling on about what kind of party it was going to be called and what it would contain and so on.

Leaving all of her friends and both Princesses laughing as they departed the wrecked hall. The castle and the bad memories left behind.



OK. It's done! It's finally done! Sorry about the sucky/hammy ending. I was pretty much out of ideas how write the last words. I had played the scene in my head many times, but it was just little hard to make it. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this small piece of FiM fan fiction of mine and will tune in for more.

As my next story is going to be a big one, as most of your already know, I've been planning a long TwiLuna series named “Star Dust” for a while now and now I can give out the possible release (sort of) date of the story which is hopefully at the beginning of November. But I'm not quite sure yet since I'm also writing this small fic for the “Hearth’s Warming Care Package ”. Wish me luck on that. And thanks for Mister Morden for proof-reading and editing these chapters!

Anyway, I really hope that you guys have been able to enjoy this story and if you haven't, sorry that you weren't able to enjoy this. But, don't forget to comment/review either this chapter or the story. And constructive criticism is always welcome.

Till next time, THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT!!!!

Comments ( 3 )

good ending, although a tad unsatisfying, you tied up every lose thread, but did so rather quickly.
i was getting a little angry at them for not mentioning that they tried drugging twi, but in the end they did, so all is well!:pinkiehappy: the ending (the battle) had a bit of a Deus ex Machina there with the elements, not that bad, but still (and yes, this is the chapter after, but i didn't think of it before now).

edit: or is it still incomplete? you say that it's done but it's still tagged as incomplete; have too make sure you know

nice ending, but a bit fast for my liking, looking forward to "Star Dust"

This was an interesting story and I quiet liked it but as I said in a previous comment there are quite a few sentences that made not much sense... I think it was the fact you repeated yourself quite a bit...

case in point.

"Slowly, the five mares got up. All of them got up slowly, rubbing their heads. “Uuugh... my head...” Rainbow groaned."

^ Choose one or the other.... "Slowly, the five mares got up" or "All of them got up slowly."

when I read this I just did a double take... it confused me.

Login or register to comment