• Published 6th Jan 2014
  • 17,832 Views, 827 Comments

The Not-So-Normal Adventures of King Sombra and Pinkie Pie - Harmony Charmer



Sequel to "The Cake Batter Incident". An unlikely bond is formed when Pinkie is tasked to reform Sombra, the ex-king of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
26
 827
 17,832

Chapter 25: An Unexpected Turn of Events

Pinkie had never felt such an amount of conflicting emotions as she entered the crystalline palace, her eyes wide as she took in the sight of the brightly colored lights that reflected off of it's surface. Despite being extremely captivated by the beauty it held, she knew that the reason for her being there was the exact opposite of it's appearance.

She was here to be protected.

'I don't want to be protected...' Pinkie thought to herself, her gaze going to Silver Spear, who was still walking beside her, 'I just want...'

Pinkie didn't even know how to finish that thought, she realized. There were so many things she wanted, though none of them corresponded with any of the others in a way that would make all of them happen.

On one hoof, she wanted Sombra to come back, completely devoid of the darkness within him. She wanted him to be hers again. She wanted him back.

But, on the other hoof, she wanted him to stay away from her. She wanted him to be gone from her and her friends' lives. She wanted everything to be easy again.

It was painful to think about how her love life had gone so wrong.

Granted, this was hardly the first time she had gotten her heart broken. Back before she had met Sombra, she had been with Baritone, an Earth Pony who had been fortunate enough to steal her heart away. But, despite the bonds they shared, somewhat similar to her and Sombra's, he had to leave for Canterlot to pursue a dream of his and vowed to return with the intention of marriage. And return he did.

With a new mare, that is.

It was beyond heartbreaking to see him fawn over somepony else the way he had with her, and it was all the more hurtful as she recalled everything they had done together. Their relationship was intimate, and he had been her first, though it seemed that that didn't matter to him.

But, in her darkest moments, Sombra had been the one to pull her out of it, though not like he did that one fateful night that she had a hard time recollecting. And, it was because of that, it led to their first kiss, though not as a couple.

Pinkie frowned as she pushed the memories away. She wasn't going to be nostalgic about her time with Sombra. Not when everything concerning him only brought pain and confusion in it's wake.

"Miss Pie?"

Pinkie nearly jumped out of her coat as Silver Spear's voice broke through her thoughts and let out a loud squeal as her eyes darted left to right rapidly.

Silver chuckled behind a hoof. "Sorry for frightening you, but I was going to ask if you would like me to escort you to your room."

Once she got over her fierce blush(why did she keep doing that?), Pinkie shook her head. "N-No, I'm fine, thanks."

Silver gave her a somewhat surprised look. "Are you sure? Because I can make sure that--"

"She said 'no', Silver," the other guard told him, obviously unappreciative of him being persistant against Pinkie's wishes.

Silver gave his partner a frown. "I was only being courteous, Swift Slash. Besides, there's nothing wrong with making sure a lovely mare such as herself is protected."

Pinkie's entire face turned red all over again. "H-Huh?!"

"Easy there, Silver," Swift told him, "the poor thing has gone through enough without you adding onto it."

Pinkie felt her embarrassment immediately turn into an indescribable darkness as she recollected her misery and looked away from the guards so they couldn't see her hurt expression.

"That is all, sirs," Twilight said abruptly as she stepped in between Pinkie and Silver, "you are dismissed."

Silver Spear gave Twilight an apologetic look as he caught onto her reason for interrupting. "I apologize for my boldness, Your Highness. I was simply looking over Miss Pie's well-being."

"Well, as Swift Slash has stated before, Pinkie has been through quite a lot," Twilight replied, "and I think I can take it from here. That is, unless you find me incapable of protecting my friends?"

"No, Your Highness!" Swift exclaimed, his eyes wide, "We'll be on our way right away!"

Before Silver could protest, Swift grabbed him and drug him away from Pinkie, the result being Silver tugging against him.

"If you need any assistance, I'll be here for yo-- AAH!" Silver was cut off by Swift jerking him around a corner of the hall.

"My, my, it seems that he's taken quite a liking to you, Pinkie," Rarity commented, her brows raised in curiosity, "what do you think of that, dear?"

Pinkie frowned as she caught onto Rarity's implication and shook her head. "I'm not interested, Rares. In fact, I think I'm done with stallions altogether..."

"Oh, dear, I didn't mean it like that!" Rarity exclaimed hurriedly, "I apologize if my implications were misinterpreted!"

"Oh, Rares, leave 'er be," Applejack said tiredly, "like that guard said, Pinkie's been through a lot."

Pinkie frowned as her friends continued to discuss her well-being without her consultation and let out a tired sigh.

Finally, Pinkie stepped in. "Can I be alone, please? I just want to go to my room and... and forget all of this ever happened."

'But I won't...' she added silently to herself.

"Are you sure you'll be fine alone?" Twilight questioned, her gaze holding concern, "I mean, we can stay with you if you're not sure."

Pinkie held back her urge to sigh as she looked at Twilight's sympathetic expression. It was getting extremely tiring to see it time and time again, especially in such a short amount of time.

"Yes, Twilight. I just... I just need to be alone for a little while."

And she did. But, she was also tempted to take up Twilight's offer...

"Darling, I realize that you're upset about this, but going off alone isn't going to make you feel better whatsoever," Rarity told her, "don't you think it'd be best if you got some rest?"

Pinkie's features hardened. "I've 'rested' enough. I don't want to lay around and do nothing anymore... I don't like being in one place for too long."

"Yeah, I'm kinda having a hard time getting used to it, too," Rainbow Dash commented, "I mean, come on! You've been super quiet and mopey!"

"What makes you think she shouldn't be?" Rarity countered, her gaze going over to Rainbow, "The poor dear has gone through so much!"

Pinkie let out an aggravated groan. "Will everypony quit talking about how I feel like I don't?! I know I'm sad and I want to deal with it on my own!"

Without another word, Pinkie stalked off, the shouts of her friends following behind her as she did.

'I just want this to be over...' Pinkie thought as she rounded a corner, 'I just want... I just want my life back.'

* * *

Swift sighed once more as Silver Spear kept struggling against him while he drug him through the halls. "That was extremely unprofessional, what you did back there."

Silver spared him an annoyed look. "I was being courteous!"

"It would seem that you were doing more than that, especially with how you've been clinging to that poor mare's side. Don't you remember what Captain Shining Armor said?"

When Silver didn't reply, Swift sighed again. "Geez, it's like you weren't even there for the briefing... Anyway, the Captain said that he received a letter from Princess Cadence telling him of a threat that was coming to the Empire-- that, you remember, correct?"

Silver tightened his jaw. "Yes, of course, Swift Slash."

"Well, it turns out that threat is something that that mare was in charge of and that despite her efforts, the threat was still released," Swift told him.

"And do you know who that threat is?" Silver questioned, a brow quirked upwards in inquiry.

"Yes, actually. But, we're not supposed to speak of the threat, mainly to keep the citizens from panicking."

"Good."

Swift froze as he heard the uncharacteristic icy tone that Silver bore and he slowly turned around to look at the guard he was still dragging.

"Silver...?" Swift questioned uneasily, his grip on the stallion loosening up, "Are you feeling alright?"

"Oh, I'm fine," Silver told him as he slipped out of Swift's grasp.

Swift's eyes widened as Silver held up his spear with an unknown malice, the malevolence he bore coming off of him in waves. His face was looking down at the floor, so he wasn't able to see his expression, which made the experience all the more terrifying.

"S-Silver, what are you doing? You're acting really strange!" Swift exclaimed, undeniable fear taking over his being.

"I'll tell you what I'm doing..." Silver said slowly, his head slowly coming up from the floor.

Swift could feel his heart stop as Silver's eyes were revealed to be red with glowing green corneas while flaming purples wisps leaked from their depths. His fear was suddenly realized as he found out too late that Silver wasn't who he was and whom he had been associating with the entire time.

"I'm keeping the threat a secret," Silver finished, a sick grin playing across his features still.

Swift didn't even have time to defend himself when Silver-- or rather, a host of the darkness it would seem-- encased him a mound of darkness, which wrapped around his muzzle to prevent him from screaming. He had no control over the situation and it wasn't long before he was gone from the hallway's interior, leaving the dark being to himself in the hall.

'This was all too easy...' The Shadow thought as he blinked his leaking eyes back into their normal color.

'Please, let me go!' he heard Silver Spear exclaim in his head, 'I don't want this!'

The Shadow resisted the urge to chuckle out loud. 'That makes it all the more enjoyable, little pony. Did you miss serving your King?'

'N-No!' Silver cried, 'Please, leave me alone!'

'Ah, if only your new leaders could hear you now... You care only for your own interests and not the Empire's as a whole. Typical of your kind.'

'I-I just want to live! I don't want to die!'

'You seem to be forgetting something important...' The Shadow thought as he pushed Silver into the inner recesses of his mind.

An image of Pinkie Pie appeared in his mind, the thought of broken mare adding more mirth onto his darkly lit expression.

'...Everyone dies.'

* * *

Pinkie sighed as she moped through the long halls, no direction coming to mind as she continued to tread down the identical corridors.

'Maybe I shouldn't have gotten so mad at them,' Pinkie admitted to herself, 'they were just trying to help, after all.'

She had never been so uncharacteristically negative about something. Sure, there were moments where she had slipped into depression and sometimes extreme bouts of anger, but those were little compared to the cluster of emotions that she was feeling then.

Pinkie soon found herself in a hallway that bore large floor-to-ceiling windows that let in large amounts of light into the reflective interior, rainbow lights bouncing off every surface known. However, the bright spectacle didn't compare to the beauty that laid beyond the glass barriers.

What with her being so high up in the palace, Pinkie could see the entire Empire from where she was standing, and it would be a lie if she said she wasn't taken by it's glamorous views. There were dozens of sparkling ponds and the greenery was as lush as could be, and the dazzling citizens were happily taking advantage of the beauty the Empire held.

However, despite the awe Pinkie felt, she also felt something else as she looked down at the ponies below. Was it... familiarity?

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

For what felt like the hundredth time that day, Pinkie just about jumped out of her skin and let out a loud "Eep!" of shock as she looked around for the cause of her surprised reaction.

Pinkie felt her cheeks become red as she caught sight of Silver Spear, who was giving her a kind smile. Sweet Celestia, why was he so insistent on being around her?

"Y-Yeah, it is," Pinkie answered shakily as she averted her gaze from him.

Silver chuckled as he made his way over to her side. "Though, it's only the second best view here."

Pinkie found herself looking at him with a surprised expression, then looked back at the view before her. "It is?"

"Mm-hmm," Silver replied, "can you guess number one?"

Pinkie shook her head. "I don't know a lot about this place... I've only been here twice."

"Really?" Silver inquired, "Well, I guess that makes number one even more special, then."

Pinkie looked back at the window with peering eyes. "What's number one?"

Pinkie wasn't prepared for Silver putting his muzzle in her ear, the sheer intimacy between the two of them causing her to freeze while a fierce heat overcame her cheeks.

"You," Silver whispered, his hoof tilting her head to face him.

Before she could react, Silver leaned towards her, his lips puckered in preparation for a kiss. It wasn't long before his lips made contact with hers.

But it also wasn't long before Pinkie pushed him away.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Pinkie exclaimed as she waved her hooves in front of her, "Where the heck did that come from?!"

Silver gave her an alluring look. "Look, Pinkie, I know this sounds crazy, but I think there's something here between us."

"WHAT?!" Pinkie cried, her eyes wide with undeniable shock.

"Admit it, there's something here. I keep seeing you hide those blushes whenever I show up or give you a compliment, so obviously something is going here."

"W-What?!" Pinkie stammered, "N-No, it's not like that!"

Silver quirked a brow upwards in a amused manner. "Really? Because as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing here to stop us..."

He leaned towards her with soft eyes, the meaning behind them so sweet and delicate, it was almost too much for Pinkie to bear. They held such allure unlike anything she'd ever seen... They were so beautiful... So red...

Pinkie blinked in shock as she looked into Silver's eyes once more and saw that his irises were indeed red, when they hadn't been beforehoof.

'They look like...' Pinkie struggled to make coherent thought as she fought against his eyes mysterious power, 'they look like...'

Finally, as Pinkie realized what his eyes reminded her of, she found herself remembering everything that that pony had done with her. He had been there for her when nopony else could be. He had held her during her worst.

And she loved him. Sweet Celestia, she loved him!

"No!" Pinkie exclaimed suddenly, causing Silver to jump in surprise, "I'm sorry Silver, but I can't do this! At least... now with you."

"What?" Silver blurted out, completely flabbergasted.

Pinkie sighed. "Look, I'm sure you're really nice and all, but... I already have somepony to be with."

Silver's eyes widened as his jaw tightened. "You can't be serious."

Pinkie nodded. "I am. I mean, even though everything's so... confusing and hurtful for me right now, I know that there's more to this than I know..." She took a deep breath. "I love him, Silver. And I'm pretty sure he loves me, too."

Silver was silent for a moment before he sighed. "I suppose this was for the better."

Pinkie gave him a small smile. "I'm glad you're not upset about it."

"I mean, it'd be better not share power in terms of ruling," Silver continued.

Pinkie blinked in confusion. "Huh?"

Silver grinned, though not at her. It seemed to be a personal smile, as if he were sharing a secret with himself. "Well, I suppose this will make things easier for me in the long run. It'd be a bit ridiculous to keep you around only for me to rid myself of your presence later, correct?"

While he was talking, Silver stood up from his spot next to Pinkie and walked over to the center of the hall, away from the windows. Then, much to Pinkie's horror, when he turned back to look at her, she saw the familiar glowing green within his corneas and purple flames that erupted from his eyes.

"Oh, but you shouldn't be upset, dear," Silver told her, his gaze holding twisted amusement, "besides, you were only going to be an obstacle for me and my plans, as you've always been."

Pinkie couldn't even find it in her to speak, let out alone scream, despite how much she wanted to. Her eyes were undeniably wide as she tried to process what was happening, but she found she could not.

Silver then closed his eyes as a strange dark light surrounded him, which then started to change his appearance. His purple coat turned into a frighteningly familiar coal gray while his crystalline armor turned into a shiny steel that looked just as new as the first time Pinkie saw it.

Finally, when the transformation reached Silver's face-- or if it even was his face-- Pinkie could feel undeniable fear take over as she recognized the chiseled features of his face, which then extended over to his forehead, where a long, curved horn that faded from gray to red appeared.

Almost as soon as the horn appeared, it sparked to life and large dark tendrils came from behind him, which then extended to Pinkie. Before she could make a run for it, the tendrils grabbed onto her form and wrapped around her tightly to prevent her from struggling.

"So, tell me, Miss Pie..." the dark stallion she knew all too well said, "Are you sure he loves you, too?"

Pinkie wasn't able to answer as a tendrils wrapped itself around her neck and tightened around it to where she could barely get any breath in her body. Tears leaked from her clenched eyes and began to flow down her face as she gasped for air, her bound limbs scraping at the air in a futile attempt to get it into her lungs.

"No?" he questioned, a brow quirked in an amused manner, "Well, I believe you know what's going to happen next."

"Not when I'm around to stop it."

Pinkie attempted to open her leaking eyes as she recognized the voice's owner, but was unable to clarify whether or not her mind was playing tricks with her as she struggled to see with her blurring vision.

"What?! But... But I left you for dead!" the dark being exclaimed, completely shocked.

There was no reply from Pinkie's unknown hero, but it was at least clarified that he existed. Suddenly, Pinkie heard a loud SWOOSH that narrowly missed her flailing legs and felt the tight bindings on her immediately slack as she gasped for air.

As she attempted to get air into her deprived lungs, Pinkie felt somepony wrap their foreleg around her in the most protective manner, and she soon recognized who was the one to save her from the demon before her.

He looked the same, yet so undeniably different at the same time. His curved, red horn was no more and was instead segmented and gray, while his three black crystals bore a red color that was both foreign and familiar to her. What had caused his change in appearance, she didn't know.

"There's something you should know, Shadow," he said with a strange calmness to his voice.

The Shadow could only stare in shock as he looked at him, his eyes wide and unblinking.

"And that something is that no one, and I repeat no one," Sombra growled, his hold on Pinkie tightening substantially as he used his magic to hold up a red crystal sword, "puts their dirty hooves on my mare."

Author's Note:

If y'all are wondering who the hay Baritone is, here's a link to the fic he's in:
Sombra VS Hearts and Hooves Day

And, for that "one fateful night", if you haven't read it already:
Beneath, You're Beautiful