• Published 6th Jan 2014
  • 17,809 Views, 827 Comments

The Not-So-Normal Adventures of King Sombra and Pinkie Pie - Harmony Charmer



Sequel to "The Cake Batter Incident". An unlikely bond is formed when Pinkie is tasked to reform Sombra, the ex-king of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
26
 827
 17,809

Chapter 19: Crossing the Threshold

Sombra yawned loudly as he creaked his tired eyes open, wincing as the sun hit his line of sight with it's harsh rays. He sighed raggedly as he lifted his heavy-feeling head and shook out his mane, hoping to rid himself of his sleepy stupor.

'Last night was...' he struggled to find the right words, his barely coping mind barely able to finish his thought, 'strange.'

"Good morning, Sombry!" he heard Pinkie chirp brightly, her soft mane snuggling into his shoulder, "How'd ya sleep?"

Sombra turned towards her as he yawned, his eyes drowsily half-lidded. "I slept alri--" Sombra cut off as he fully took in Pinkie's appearance.

Her mane was adorned by a sparkly blue head band, her normally unruly mane held tightly by two golden bands that shone in the sunlight. Her ocean blue eyes appeared to have turned into crystals, matching her crystalline coat and mane. It was so stunning to see her look the way she did.

"Sombry?" Pinkie questioned, breaking through his flurrying mess of a mind.

Sombra blinked and Pinkie returned to her normal, non-crystal form, her smile replaced with a confused frown. With a small shake of his head, Sombra gave her a reassuring smile.

"It's just..." he started, struggling to find a good cover for his odd behavior, "You look really beautiful today."

Pinkie blushed. "I just woke up!" she told him, looking off to the side as she looked in embarrassed, "I probably look like a mess..."

Sombra held back his sigh of relief, instead chuckling at Pinkie's reaction. "If anyone here's a mess, it's me, Dork," he told her, nuzzling her mane, "and don't doubt how beautiful I know you are."

'Wow, laying it on thick, huh?' he heard Conscious say, 'You are not very subtle these days, Sombry.'

Sombra resisted his overwhelming urge to frown. "Are we close to Canterlot yet?" he asked Pinkie, ignoring the voice in his head.

Pinkie gasped dramatically. "Let's look!" she exclaimed excitedly, rushing to the window. With a push of her hooves, the window went down and Pinkie stuck her head out, a loud cheer of excitement following afterwards.

"I take that as a yes?" Sombra questioned, a quirking a brow in amusement.

Pinkie looked back at him with a giggle. "Take a look for yourself!" she told him, scooting over for him to stand next to her.

Not finding anything wrong in doing so, Sombra crawled up to the window and placed himself beside her, their sides rubbing against each other as they looked out the train window.

"Wow..." Sombra breathed, his eyes wide as he took in the sight of upcoming castle.

Despite being far away from the mountain that bore the home of the Royal Pony Sisters, Sombra could still make out the golden entailed pillars and spires of the castle, dozens of waterfalls and streams leaking from it's depths. Although it wasn't the accommodation he was used to, it didn't take from the city's splendor.

"Isn't it super duper neat?" Pinkie squealed, her eyes shut in blitheness, "I can't wait 'til we get there!"

Sombra felt the familiar sense of dread take over him as he remembered the cause for their trip to the city in the first place, his joy in travelling fading as quickly as it came. Suddenly, the beautiful castle before him didn't seem so appealing, seeing as how it was a destination for where he would be judged by the Royal Sisters.

Not wanting to look at the city any longer, he leaned away from the window and back into his seat, his ears turned downwards. Pinkie glanced over at him as she felt him move away and cast him a worried glance, her brows furrowed in a troubled manner.

"Sombry?" she questioned, moving towards him as placed herself beside him.

Sombra didn't reply, his eyes averting her brooding look, not wanting her to see him so negative. Pinkie frowned as she realized why he was acting so distant so suddenly, unappreciative of his reclusive behavior.

"It'll be alright," she told him, snuggling into his side as she hugged him.

Sombra begrudgingly looked back at her, his eyes showing just how vulnerable he felt. With a ragged sigh, he returned her embrace and leaned his head on hers, his eyes closed as he tried to calm his fraying nerves.

"Thank you," he whispered, nuzzling her mane, "I'm glad I have you..."

'You should be,' Conscious told him, 'you're one lucky stallion, Sombra.'

This time, Sombra did frown, but he was able to keep it from Pinkie, what with her not looking at him. 'I know that,' he replied, a small bite in his tone, 'I don't need a reminder.'

He heard Conscious sigh. 'I wish I could say the same for me. I would've taken a million reminders, if that's what it would take to get her back.'

Sombra felt his hold on Pinkie tighten slightly as those words reached him. 'I thought you had no intention of getting her back?' he thought bitterly, his defensive nature kicking in.

"Sombry..." he heard Pinkie say in a strained voice, "you're kinda squeezing me... really hard."

Sombra released Pinkie almost immediately. "Sorry," he blurted out, feeling embarrassed that he let Conscious get to him like that.

Pinkie gave him a reassuring smile. "It's alright," she told him, snuggling back into his embrace, "you're just worried, is all."

"Ugh..." groaned Rainbow Dash, her right wing rising as it let out several sickening cracks, "What time is it?"

A yawn was heard from Twilight, who ruffled her wings slightly as she opened her tired eyes. "I'd say about time we arrived in Canterlot..." she slurred, stretching her drowsing limbs.

"Yep!" Pinkie exclaimed, causing all the sleepy occupants to wince, "We're almost there!"

Sombra spared her a sharp glance, but sighed as he realized it'd be ridiculous to discuss the matter for their arrival, especially with his nerves jumping about from anxiety.

'If you're so sure of your affections, then what do you have to worry about?' Conscious questioned.

Sombra bit his tongue hard enough to where it should have drawn blood, but he gave no sign of his anger.

'That's not what I'm worried about,' he said defensively, 'I'm worried about...'

Sombra blinked in realization as he found that he wasn't sure as to why he was so worried about Celestia and Luna not deeming him unreformed. He cared for Pinkie and his negative behavior had changed substantially since then.

So then why was he so worried?

'You aren't confident in your feelings,' Conscious said simply, 'and until you are absolutely, undeniably sure that you know how you feel, nothing will be in your favor.'

Sombra wanted to interrogate the voice within him on what he meant, but he felt the presence of it leave almost immediately. Holding back a frustrated sigh, Sombra looked over to Pinkie, who smiling and laughing with her friends, like she normally did.

'Nothing haunts you,' he thought to himself, somewhat envying her ease in the situation.

Sombra smiled and pulled Pinkie closer to him with a foreleg, causing her to look at with a surprised expression. When she saw the smile on his face, she returned it and leaned into him, enjoying his embrace.

'I can only hope that we can make it through this trip,' Sombra thought, leaning his head onto Pinkie's.

So, for the remainder of the train ride, Sombra and Pinkie sat side-by-side, totally immersed in their own worlds as they remained close to one another. Little did they know, the troubles that would come for them upon their arrival at Canterlot Castle.

* * *

"And here's the one where we fought against Discord!" Pinkie exclaimed, pointing a hoof at the stain glass window that adorned the long hallway.

"Tartarus, how many windows are in here?" Sombra questioned, his eyes peering across the hall, "I stopped counting after 23."

Pinkie giggled. "Well, a lot has happened in Equestria!" she told him, then put a hoof to her chin as she added, "Though, a lot of it has happened in the past couple of years..."

Twilight sighed. "Yeah, a lot," she said, her gaze drifting over to the window describing her coronation. She gave her wings a quick once over, then looked forward as she sighed once more.

"Somethin' botherin' ya, Twi?" Applejack asked, walking over to the alicorn's side, "Ya still aren't on about yer role as a princess, are ya?"

Twilight sighed again. "I can't help it," she admitted, her gaze turning to the floor, "I understand that I earned my role, but sometimes I feel like all I do is smile and wave."

"Don't worry, Twilight!" Pinkie exclaimed, leaping over to her excitedly, "You're important! Princess Celestia wouldn't have given you your wings if she didn't think so!"

Twilight smiled weakly, but it was a smile, nonetheless. "Thanks, Pinkie Pie," she told her, "I needed to hear that."

Pinkie grinned and nodded as she bounced back to Sombra's side. "So, how are you enjoying the tour of the castle?" she asked him, leaning into his shoulder as she looked at him expectantly.

Sombra gave the hallway another look before looking back at Pinkie. "It's..." he started, his gaze flickering over to the large windows, "...big."

Pinkie giggled at his answer. "I know, huh?" she said, "When we first came here, I was all, 'Whooooooooooooooooa!'" Pinkie swirled around in a circle a couple times before letting out a small yelp as she tumbled over from dizziness.

Sombra chuckled as he brought her to her hooves. "You're such a dork," he told her, grinning at her expression.

"Am not!" she argued, giving him a small glare.

"Are, too," he replied simply, continuing to walk down the hall.

"Am n-"

"So help me Princess Celestia, if you two start play arguing one more time, I will Sonic Rainboom you so hard, your mother's mother will feel it!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed, zooming over to where she was standing between them.

Pinkie gasped. "Not Granny Pie!" she cried, clinging onto Sombra, "Alright, fine, I'm a dork!"

Sombra chuckled at her reaction. "Good to know it's gotten to you."

Rainbow let out a groan. "Gah, I hate couples..." she muttered, putting a hoof to her head as she shook it disapprovingly.

Rarity smiled at Rainbow. "I think it's adorable!" she called, giving Sombra and Pinkie a quick glance, "You two do what you want! Don't let Rainbow or anypony else stop you!"

Applejack frowned at that. "Ah'm all for love and all, but Ah would appreciate it if ya were more discreet with it," she said, drawing her words, "Ah can't stand it whenever Ah look and see two ponies gettin' cozy in public."

Rarity frowned. "Oh, you're just upset you don't have somepony!" she said, waving her hoof dismissively.

Sombra chuckled as he leaned his head into Pinkie's. "Unlike us, of course."

Pinkie giggled and returned his gesture. "You betcha!"

"Hush, now!" Twilight ordered quietly, "We're almost to the throne!"

Everyone was silenced as they looked forward and took in the sight of the thrones at the center of the wall, none of which bearing their owner.

"Where are the princesses?" Fluttershy asked, her eyes flickering from left to right.

Twilight shrugged. "They'll be here soon," she told them, "I'm sure that they're dying to know about Sombra's progress."

Sombra and Pinkie exchanged looks with one another, their eyes mirroring the others worry. Pinkie leaned into his side, but it lacked her usual enthusiasm as she sought out reassurance.

"Don't worry," Sombra told her, silently wishing he could take his own advice, "it'll be fine."

Pinkie looked up at him and gave him a small smile. She snuggled her head into the crook of his neck, to which he leaned his head onto hers.

However, the couples' moment was broken through by the sound of hoofsteps, the sound of which causing all the occupants of the room to stand at attention.

Princess Celestia waltzed in, her head held high as her younger sister, Princess Luna, followed shortly after with the same posture. Both remained stoic and unblinking as they placed themselves in their thrones, their gazes drifting over to Sombra with respective curiosity.

All the occupants, save for Twilight and Sombra, bowed before the Royal Sisters, their gazes going to the floor as they showed their respect. Sombra felt Pinkie poke at his leg, indicating for him to do the same. Much to his chagrin, he bowed before the two alicorn princesses, sparing Pinkie a small glance as he laid his chin on the floor.

"Sombra," Princess Celestia said crisply, her gaze unwavering, "I see that you were able to make it."

Sombra felt a flicker of anger within him, but he pushed it down. Whatever quarrels he had didn't matter at that point; he had to pull through for Pinkie.

"It was a royal request," Sombra replied, getting up from the floor, "I had no choice in the matter."

Sombra felt another prod come from Pinkie as she joined him, her eyes showing that she wasn't appreciating his responses to the princesses.

Princess Celestia raised a brow. "Still carrying that anger?" she questioned, "I would have thought that you'd be over it by now, what with the time that's passed since your reformation process started."

Sombra clenched his jaw, but eased slightly when Pinkie put a reassuring hoof on his shoulder. With a small breath to calm himself, he looked back up at Princess Celestia with an unwavering gaze.

"Time has passed since then," he told her, "I'd like to believe I've made some progress."

Pinkie smiled and nodded, indicating he was going in the right direction. Sombra returned her smile, his gaze flickering back over to her for a brief moment before returning to Celestia and Luna.

"Oh?" Celestia said, her interest piqued, "I would have assumed that your progress had come to a standstill due to Twilight's letters coming to an abrupt stop a couple weeks ago."

Sombra sent Twilight a glare from the corner of his eyes, not appreciating the fact her languid behavior was affecting Celestia's judgement.

Twilight stepped up, taking Celestia's attention from Sombra. "That's my fault, Princess," she told her, her gaze downcast, "I failed to keep up my updates on Sombra's reformation because I was trying to catch up on my studying."

Celestia gave her apprentice a soft look. "It is quite alright, Twilight," she told her, "I understand that multi-tasking can be difficult, especially when they're royal duties."

Twilight let out a sigh of relief. "Well, that's good to know," she said, "I guess that makes up for me forgetting to tell you Sombra and Pinkie are dating."

Celestia and Luna collectively gaped at Twilight, their eyes wide as they tried to process what she just said.

"What?!" Luna exclaimed, the first thing she had said in their exchange.

"Sparkler!" Sombra barked, his eyes narrowing as he turned to Twilight.

Twilight shoved a hoof into her mouth as her eyes widened. "Whoops," she said as she put her hoof down.

Pinkie smacked a hoof to her face as she let out a ragged sigh. "Looks like the cupcake's outta the box..."

Sombra briefly forgot his anger with Twilight as he glanced over at Pinkie. "What?"

Pinkie put her hoof down as she looked at him. "Ya know, it's like when something gets out, it's hard to get it back in?"

"You can most certainly put a cupcake back in a box!" he exclaimed, holding up a hoof for emphasis, "And the saying is 'the cat got out of the bag', Pinkie."

Pinkie gasped. "Who put a poor kitty in a bag?" she breathed, her eyes wide, "That's horrible!"

Sombra groaned as he put a hoof to his face. "You're such an idiot sometimes," he told her, putting his hoof down, "which is one of the reasons why I wonder why I like you so much."

Pinkie smiled at him. "Because I'm fun!" she told him, pulling into a tight hug, "also..."

Pinkie got onto her hind legs as she leaned towards Sombra's ear, a small whisper brushing against his ear.

Sombra grinned as he looked towards her knowingly. "And there's that, as well."

"I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time processing this..." Luna said, putting a hoof to her temple as if she were fighting a migraine, "You two are dating?!"

"How in Equestria does that go over your head, Twilight?" Celestia questioned, her eyes wide, "How much studying have you been doing?"

"Not much with those two around," Spike muttered, casting Pinkie and Sombra a glance.

"Can it, Lizard!" Sombra ordered, glaring at him.

"What on Earth is that supposed to mean?" Celestia questioned, narrowing her eyes at Sombra, "I order an answer."

Pinkie and Sombra exchanged glances with one another before facing Celestia again, their gazes wavering as they struggled to find an appropriate answer.

"I'm waiting," Celestia said crisply, her gaze hardening as it zoned in on the couple.

"Sister, I believe I can elaborate on that," Luna told her.

"Well, then? What is it?"

Luna spared Pinkie and Sombra an apologetic glance before she gestured for Celestia to come closer to her. Once Celestia obliged, Luna whispered something into her ear, the contents of which causing the sun ruler's eyes to widen.

"Twilight..." Celestia said slowly, her face still consumed by her shock, "would you care to explain?"

Twilight shuffled her hooves nervously. "I, uh..." she started, unsure how to continue.

"Oh, for the love of-- They're doing the do, alright?!" Rainbow exclaimed, "I hate that I know it, but it's true!"

"Rainbow!" Everyone exclaimed, save for the Princesses and Spike, the latter not knowing what they were talking about.

"I think that..." Celestia stopped as she took a deep breath to regain her composure, "we should take this up with the decider of Sombra's reformation."

"Huh?" Pinkie blurted out, "Why me?"

Celestia shook her head. "I mean the pony who will decide whether or not Sombra is completely reformed, Pinkie."

"Oh..." Pinkie drawled.

"Wait... So you're not going to judge me?" Sombra questioned, his eyes wide, "But I thought--"

"We have no jurisdiction to judge you for your behavior, Sombra," Luna interrupted, "we realized that when the three of us were discussing your reformation reports."

"Three?" Twilight repeated, "Who's the third one?"

"I am," said a familiar voice.

All the occupants of the room turned towards the source of the voice, all of whom gasped in surprise as they saw who would be overseeing Sombra's judgement.

"Holy mother of cupcakes..." Pinkie breathed, her eyes wide with shock.

Sombra couldn't even breathe as he began to recognize the severity of the situation he was in. He knew his judge wouldn't be anything less than strict towards him, especially due to the significance of his actions towards her.

Her crystalline purple eyes were narrowed in hostility as she gazed upon him, the need for discretion regarding her negative feelings towards him completely nonexistent. Her pink-purple variant wings were kept resolutely at her sides, practically shaking from being tensely held.

And lastly, her cutie mark, the link to the Empire he was once ruled, but was never meant to have. The crystal heart that adorned her flank connected her to the kingdom since her birth, he knew, meaning she held all the more reason to despise him for enslaving it.

"Come, Sombra," Princess Cadence said, her glare unwavering, "we have much to discuss."

Author's Note:

OH SNAP, Y'ALL.

What's gonna happen now? How will Sombra deal with Cadence judging his reformation? How will Cadence treat him? Will Pinkie be able to keep it together? And what's going on with Conscious?!

All will be answered in the next chapter!
...
...
...
OK, maybe not all of it, but most of it!

'Til next time, Harmony Charmer, over and out!