• Published 19th Dec 2013
  • 9,755 Views, 356 Comments

Rock Farms and Nuclear Reactors - Pineta



Pinkie Pie shows Twilight Sparkle how to generate energy the earth pony way. Twilight has concerns about long term safety.

  • ...
20
 356
 9,755

Chapter 2 – Which describes the refuelling of a nuclear reactor

As we walked back over the grassy hills to Ponyville, Pinkie Pie decided to tell me a chapter of her life story. I listened with interest as the story of how Pinkie arrived in Ponyville was a legend. Like all legends there were an infinite number of variations, and while the version recalled by Pinkie Pie was not necessarily reliable, it was still a valuable testimony from a primary source.

“So after I got my cutie mark and knew that my destiny was to throw lots of parties and make everypony smile, I hit a problem. I was stony broke, and parties can be expensive, especially if you want to do it properly with lots of cool food and drink and games and streamers and fireworks and... yes I know you can still have a lot of fun with just a few bits, but I wanted to throw lots and lots of really big parties for all my friends, and everypony was my friend. So I had to find a super high paid job to support a wild party lifestyle. I briefly considered becoming a banker, but I didn't want to have to wear a moustache to work every day. I mean, once a week would be fun, but every day? Nah. Anyway they didn't invite me for interview. Then Marble told me that engineering was a well-paid profession, and I remember Granny Pie was always saying how hard it was to find a reactor engineer to service her fast breeder. So I looked into it, and it sounded fun. I signed up for a correspondence course in civil engineering and got my degree. Then I got a masters and doctorate, and a job commissioning new reactors. My first assignment was to install a new reactor at Sugarcube Corner. After that the Cakes offered me a job as on site engineer. Once I'd shown them that I was a responsible pony, they also let me bake cupcakes, and once I'd shown them that I was really really responsible, they let me babysit the twins.”

Recollecting these details of her career excited Pinkie to an even more energetic state than her normal character. She jumped higher and higher with each bound, sending her heavy saddlebags bouncing in the air. “Why did the Cakes need a nuclear reactor?” I asked.

“It's what powers all the ovens, and the lights and the cookie machines at Sugarcube Corner,” explained Pinkie. “And it's not just Sugarcube Corner, we provide hot water and electricity to all of Ponyville. Including your library.”

“I thought the electricity in Ponyville came from the hydroelectric dam.”

“Oh, that provides some. It used to provide all the power, but when the town grew bigger, and seven hour bubble baths became fashionable, we needed another generator. The critical point came a few years ago when the Cakes installed a new cookie factory on their lower ground floor, so they offered to house the new power plant in the basement. Actually that wasn't the first plan. They first built some big wind turbines. That was a complete fiasco. Pegasi kept flying into them. Then they would go and sulk in the clouds and didn't maintain the weather properly, so there was no wind.”

“How come I never heard about this before?”

“Oh, well I guess nopony thought it worth mentioning. That's sorta how it is with nuclear power plants. You only hear about them if something goes wrong.”

We soon reached Sugarcube Corner. Mr and Mrs Cake were rushing around as usual, balancing trays of baked goods on their heads with uncanny skill. Their baby foals were sitting on the floor throwing toy bricks around. Pinkie thrust her head down to their level grinning manically. “Hey Pound! Pumpkin! Ready to help me refuel the nuclear reactor?”

Carrot Cake gave her a stern look. “They need to take their nap very soon Pinkie. You can play with them later.”

Pinkie looked disappointed, but she just said, “Okay, I was just asking. Come on Twilight.”

Pinkie, with saddlebags, jumped through a doorway which I assumed led to the stairs to the basement. I smiled at Carrot Cake, then trotted after her, but as soon as I was through the doorway, I tripped over my hooves and found myself sliding down a smooth tube which spiralled downwards. A few seconds later this dumped me on the floor next to Pinkie Pie.

“Ugh,” I groaned as I picked myself up, “where did the stairs go?”

“Stairs are slow, boring, and potentially dangerous,” said Pinkie. “Every year, hundreds of foals are hurt falling down steps, many of them seriously. So I, Pinkie Safety-Conscious Pie, replaced them with slides, which are quicker, safer, and much more fun.”

I looked around the underground room. It was a large hall, with a high ceiling, brightly lit, and full of noisy machines. A complex gear system drove a series of conveyor belts across the room at several different levels, linking a selection of large shiny metal enclosures, decorated in flashing lights. Rope and pulley mechanisms moved heavy bags across the ceiling, while robotic claws grabbed these and tipped the contents in various chutes. Heavy duty pistons were driving some sort of industrial stamping, and a network of transparent hoses directed the flow of brightly coloured liquids. I stared at this complex monster trying to make sense of all the moving parts.

“Is this a nuclear reactor?” I asked.

“Nope,” replied Pinkie, “this is the Cookie factory floor.” She reached a hoof into a metal container and withdrew a piece of chocolate chip filled gingerbread, which she thrust into my mouth. “The reactor is one floor down.” She dived through another doorway. I followed, more cautiously than before, and slid down another spiral slide. This deposited us in a very small room with walls lined with pegs supporting white coats.

“Put on a lab coat,” said Pinkie, tossing me a white garment.

“Why do we need to wear these?” I asked.

“For fun,” she explained. “And it will keep the dust off your coat.”

“What's this room?” I asked after pulling the coat over my hooves. “Where is the reactor?”

“This is an air lock.” Pinkie pulled a lever on the wall, which caused a door to swing shut across the slide outlet. There was a short hissing sound, then another door on the opposite side of the room swung open. We walked through this into a dark room. I could see a large number of electronic indicator lights lit up in the darkness.

“Hang on,” said Pinkie, “Lemme find the light switch.”

She walked into the darkness and a moment later the lights flickered on, illuminating a small room packed full of equipment. Control panels were mounted against the walls, covered with arrays of buttons, knobs, switches, and indicator lights. Above these were panels of pressure gauges, dials and other meters. I could only guess the function of most of these, but after staring at the wall panels, I found my brain automatically trying to make sense of it, with partial success. Lines drawn on one panel appeared to represent water pipes, and the various gauges showed the pressure and temperature at different points, and whether a network of valves were open or closed.

I was taken aback by the scale of it. Many ponies, on seeing my basement for the first time, have expressed surprise at the amount of random technology it contains. Actually it just houses a small collection of scientific instruments and miscellaneous electronics which I grabbed when the Canterlot University Physics Department was having a clear out. More than most Ponyville residences, it's true, but nothing remarkable. In contrast, Pinkie's basement had this vast array of the latest sensor and control technology.

“Wow,” I said. “Can you talk me through how this all works?”

“Sure,” said Pinkie. “Come and look outside.”

She bounded through another door on the side of the control room. This led out onto a balcony, overlooking a large cavern with smooth metal walls. I could make out a large number of pipes, leading down to a large open tank of water, containing a cylinder with a domed cover, glowing with an eerie blue light. Not unlike the coloured aura of unicorn magic.

“That's the reactor core,” said Pinkie proudly. “It's in the water tank to keep it cool and to shield us from the radiation. It's a pity it's so radioactive – otherwise it would make a great plunge pool. It glows with that cool blue light.”

“Cherenhoof radiation,” I said. “It's producing energetic particles, which move through the water faster than the light, making it glow. A bit like a sonic boom.”

“Oh so that's what it is,” said Pinkie.

“Don't you understand it?” I asked. “I thought you were a nuclear expert.”

“I'm an engineer Twilight, not a scientist. I don't have to understand it – at least not one hundred percent – I just have to make it work.”

“So how do you make it work?”

“We pack the uranium fuel in rods in the middle. The U-235 atoms spit out fast neutrons. They would just whiz away, but they’re surrounded by water, which is a neutron moderator – it slows them down. Chocolate milk would work as well as water, and it tastes better, but that would be a waste of chocolate milk. The slow neutrons then hit other uranium atoms in other rods, and start a chain reaction, which makes it really really hot. Once it gets going, we control it by pushing the control rods into the core. They're made of a neutron sponge which sucks up the neutrons so it stops the reaction. We stop it completely by pushing the rods all the way in. It's like that now as we shut it down for the summer.”

“What stops it getting too hot?” I asked.

Pinkie pointed to a network of pipes connected to the reactor. “Cold water goes in, round and round the core, and comes out super-hot – it would be boiling except it's at a super high pressure. The hot water then heats more water making steam, which whooshes through a turbine making electricity, and then we cool it with cold water from the river, which then goes all around Ponyville to heat everypony's home, and then back in the river.

“So you have a series of cooling water circuits to transfer the heat out of the core,” I said.

“Yeah,” said Pinkie, “lots of pipes of hot water and steam all over the place. I made a few modifications to make extra use of it.”

“Modifications?”

“Yes, I added extra hot water and steam delivery pipes to the spa, since they need so much of it. And a milk steaming nozzle in the control room, so we can make some frothy coffee and hot chocolate.”

Pinkie procured a tin opener from a draw under the control panel, which was labelled 'snacks'. She then took the yellow and black tin cans out of her saddle bag, and proceeded to remove the lids by lying down on the floor, gripping each can with her rear legs, holding the can opener with between her fore hooves and twisting the handle with her teeth.

“Grrr,” she said through her teeth, “why'd they make these things so difficult to open.”

Eventually she had removed the lids from the tins. Each one was lined with a thick layer of lead on the inside, surrounding ceramic pellets. She then got to her hooves and tipped the contents of the tins into a plastic scoop on the top of a machine at the end of the control panel. She then pulled a lever. The machine proceeded to make a rattling sound and a few indicator lights flashed.

“That's the fuel rod packing machine,” said Pinkie. “It stacks the pellets into fuel rods.” A moment later the machine ejected a set of long thin black metal rods into a basket on the floor.

“And what's all this other equipment?” I asked, surveying a selection of high-tech boxes lined up along the counter.

“That’s a radiation dosimeter, so we can check if anything gets contaminated with radioactive material. And that's the readout for the neutron monitors and temperature sensors.”

“And this one?”

“That's the coffee machine.”

“Now,” said Pinkie, standing with her fore hooves on the control panel, grinning at the array of indicator lights and gauges, “we need to exchange the fuel. I think it's this button.” She pushed a rectangular panel with a hoof. There was a noise outside the cabin. I walked back onto the balcony and looked down to the reactor and saw an elaborate piece of mechanical engineering swing into action, like something made by the Flim Flam Brothers. A set of robotic limbs, fitted with mechanical claws, moved out of the walls. Each claw picked up a wrench from a toolbox, then plunged into the pool and set about removing a set of bolts in a ring around the reactor vessel. Once this was complete, the domed cover was removed, allowing us to look inside the underwater reactor core and see a glowing array of cylindrical rods.

Pinkie pressed another button and two robotic arms then reached into the core and pulled out the spent fuel rods, while another two brushed past me, through the door into the cabin and picked the newly assembled rods from the basket. These were carried down to the reactor and pushed into the vacant slots, while the glowing removed fuel was moved to one side, still under the water. This task completed, the robot set about closing up the vessel and tightening all the bolts. Pinkie walked out onto the balcony beside me.

“We'll leave a few old rods in there, so there's enough kick to get it started,” she said.

“What do you do with the spent fuel?” I asked. “It must be highly radioactive.”

“It is,” agreed Pinkie. “Very. Packed full of dangerously unstable transuranic elements. Enough to kill a pony if you get too close, and hot enough to burst into flames if it gets out of the water. We'll leave it here for a bit to cool off then take it back to the rock farm and keep it somewhere safe for two hundred thousand years or so.” She looked down a clipboard she held in a hoof. “Okay. Replace fuel rods – check.”

Pinkie bounced back into the control cabin. I paused for a moment staring down at the glowing spent fuel rods, trying to estimate the amount of heat that much radioactivity could produce. If the water was to disappear, and the rods were exposed to air, they would burst into flames and fill the air with radioactive smoke. I shuddered at the thought, then took a few deep breaths to calm myself. Nothing to fear. In a worst case scenario I could always teleport us out of here, and the air-tight room will contain the fire. Unless it was damaged by the heat. No, I said to myself. That won't happen. Pinkie knows what she's doing.

I walked into the control room where Pinkie was standing up against an array of buttons with a puzzled look. “Okay. Restart the reactor. How do we do this? I think it's this one.”

She pushed a button. Immediately a red light started flashing and an alarm sounded. Pinkie pushed it again to cancel the action. “Okay not that one... Let’s try this one.” She pushed a hoof against another control. This caused exactly the same effect. “Hmm, what's wrong?” she said.

“How many times have you refuelled a reactor?” I asked.

“This is the first time.”

“What?”

“Well, there's a lot of energy in uranium fuel, and we've not been running at full capacity, so it doesn't need refuelling very often... Oh I know, we need to first pressurise the primary coolant.” She twisted a knob and pulled a lever. There was a noise from outside as a pump started somewhere, and a moment later the pressure reading on numerous gauges on the panel in front of me started rising.

Once the pressure had stabilized, Pinkie pushed another button. “Now we can raise the control rods and get it going.” We both watched the panel in front of us, on which the position of the control rods in the reactor core was indicated by an array of tiny lights on top of a drawing of the assembly. Surrounding this was a set of meters giving the temperature and pressure of the water, and digital displays giving the radiation level, and various other instruments whose function I could only guess. As soon as the lights showed the control rods were partially out of the core, the digits on the radiation counters started changing faster and faster as the rate increased tenfold, and the thermometer readings shot up.

“Yay!” cried Pinkie. “We have fission!” She jumped up and bounced around the room as the panel lights flickered. Then with a satisfied smile she checked off another item on her clipboard.

“You want some coffee Twilight?”

“Err, okay.”

She took a bag of coffee beans from a cupboard below the control desk and poured this into the top of the coffee machine. She then stuck her head back in the cupboard. “Out of sugar. And I need to get some fresh milk. I'll just pop upstairs. Keep an eye on the reactor will you Twilight? Don't let it get too hot.” With this she trotted out of the cabin into the air-lock door.

“Pinkie!” I cried, but she had already closed the sound-proof door.

What was I supposed to do? Check the reactor didn't get too hot? How hot was too hot? According to the thermometers the water in the core was at about 250 degrees. That seemed pretty hot to me. And if it did get too hot, what was I supposed to do. I stared at the panel tracing the route of the various cooling water circuits. What was the right course of action in such an event?

My tried and tested way of dealing with any problematic issue is to read a book. I looked around control room and identified a small shelf above an array of levers. I went over and read the titles of the books. These included several guides to baking cupcakes, party planning, and keeping alligators as pets. I then spotted a more promising title and levitated it off the shelf: 'Pressurized Water Reactor: Users' Manual.'

The first page contained a note explaining that the reactor warranty only applied to defects in materials or workmareship. The ACME Corporation would not accept any liability due to damage from customer misuse. In particular the warranty did not apply to damage to the core resulting from an interruption of cooling water. I flipped through the booklet, skipping the first chapter on the assembly of the flat-pack components. The later chapters explained the operation of the plant. It assured me that everything should run in a safe stable way, provided the user followed the instructions.

Unfortunately I had a good imagination, and my mind was quickly thinking up ways in which things could go wrong. What if the control rods were jammed somehow? And what if there was some blockage stopping the flow of cooling water. I looked up from the manual and noticed that the temperature had risen to 290 degrees. My heart started pounding fast. Was it still rising? How high should I let it go before I should stop the reactor? If it got so hot that the fuel rods melted, then we would have no way of controlling it. A molten mass of highly radioactive material would melt through the vessel. Nuclear meltdown. Then if it reached the cold water, it would fill the room with steam, and there would be an explosion. No. We're in a sealed underground air-tight container, which can no doubt take a high pressure. And there must be safety valves to stop an explosion. So the worst that can happen is we would just be dumping tons of radioactive water into the river. Nothing to worry about. Stay calm Twilight. Anyway the fuel rods are made from zirconium, which doesn't melt until 1855 degrees, so it should be fine. I stared at the thermometer which had crept up to 292 degrees.

With a hissing sound, the airlock opened and Pinkie Pie bounded back into the room, balancing a tray on her head. “Cupcake?” she said.

I took one of the cakes without paying attention. “Pinkie,” I said, “is it too hot?”

Pinkie walked over to the panel. “Nope, just perfect for making good coffee. Hey Twilight you wanna see how to make the perfect cappuccino? I've been getting pretty good at it.”

My eyes kept flicking between the reactor temperature gauges and Pinkie Pie.

“The base of a good cappuccino is a good caffé espresso,” she said. “To make that we need some hot water, pressurized to about sixteen bar.” She flipped a switch on the control panel and watched as the pressure reading on one of the meters rose. Then she put two cups below a nozzle on the control panel and pressed a button. The machine gurgled and dribbled some liquid into the cups. “Look at that Twilight, proper dark coffee. Do you like coffee? I love it, but it does make me sorta super-extra-coco-loco. Now the next step is to steam the milk. Trick is to use a jug of nice cold milk and...” She positioned a jug underneath a small metal pipe sticking out of the panel and pressed another button. Immediately there was a loud hissing sound and a cloud of white foam erupted from the jug. Not unlike what happens with Spike if I don't watch how much bubble bath he uses.

“Okay,” continued Pinkie, wiping off her milk foam beard with a hoof. “Now pour the milk over the coffee, add sugar, sprinkle on some cocoa, and voilà!”

She placed the cup of frothy coffee in front of me, then sat down on the floor and slurped up her own. She gave a happy smile, running her tongue around her mouth, then jumped up and bounced around the room in a crazy fashion, rebounding from the walls and ceiling, while singing a song to a familiar tune:

“All you have to do to make nuclear power,
Is a U-2-3-5 mix,
Now take a reactor and a cooling tower,
Add some neutrons, just a pinch,
Running this plant, it's such a cinch,
Raise the rods, let's start the mission,
Lift a little more - don't overheat the core,
And you'll have nuclear fission!
Fission! Safe, clean and easy!
Fission! Don't feel uneasy!
Fission! fission, fission, FISSION!”

She had been right about the coffee.

My eyes switched between the control panel and Pinkie Pie. Here I was, two storeys underground, in a small, enclosed, hermetically sealed space, with enough radioactive material to kill every pony in Ponyville, a nuclear reactor about to overheat, and the responsible engineer was the bright pink Element of Laughter on a sugar and caffeine high. I couldn't take any more.

“PINKIE!” I screamed.

Pinkie fell silent. She walked over to sit in front of me and put a hoof to my face.

“What's up Twilight?” she asked calmly.

“Don't you see how dangerous this all is!” I shouted. “If something goes wrong it could destroy all Ponyville.”

Pinkie looked me in the eye. She paused before saying solemnly, “Twilight. It's safe. I promise.”

“You promise?”

“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

She looked at me with a deadly serious stare.

“How can you be so sure?” I asked.

She smiled. “Because there's loads and loads of security features, and an auto-shutdown safety system, and a backup system to back up the auto-shutdown system, and a backup backup system to back up the backup system, and a backup backup backup system... And it's designed to be super stable so it won't overheat. And if anything goes wrong we drop the control rods right down. Or failing that we can squirt a neutron absorber into the water. Then there are four independent cooling systems... It's built to be totally idiot-proof!”

“But how can you be sure it will all work as designed?”

“Earth ponies have been running these plants for many years,” she said. “Without any accidents...” She paused a moment and stopped grinning. “Well, with very few accidents... There was that occasion when some streamers got stuck in the fan on the secondary cooling circuit, but nopony has hurt and there was hardly any release of radioactive gas... And there was that case in Fillydelphia when that colt blocked the safety valve with bubble gum... And that one unfortunate incident in Vanhoover – that was a stupid reactor design – rock candy does not make a good neutron moderator. But relatively speaking, it's totally-ultra-super-mega-safe.”

“But there's still a risk,” I said.

“There's always a small risk,” said Pinkie. “But it's no bigger than the everyday risks we all face due to things like cupcake poisoning, traffic accidents, and attack by timberwolves, changelings and giant crabs.”

This did not reassure me. “Thanks Pinkie. It's reassuring to know I am more likely to be eaten by a giant crab than killed in a nuclear incident.”

“You're welcome.”

With a cheerful smile Pinkie looked up at the control panel. “Temperature and pressure is stable. All cooling circuits running fine. Now delivering hot water and electricity to all Ponyville.” She picked up her clipboard. “Just one thing left on the list.”

“What's that?” I asked.

“PARTY!”