• Published 19th Dec 2013
  • 2,005 Views, 77 Comments

The Definition of Harmony - Gladi Writes



Harmony: Peace and Unity. Equestria lives in Harmony, but will that harmony extend beyond it's borders?

  • ...
12
 77
 2,005

Democracy

A few hours later, as the sun began it's slow descent behind the west side of the valley, the tally was complete. It had taken considerable effort on the part of Eta-Eta to instruct his comrades how to vote: most of them couldn't even write. The workers couldn't even read. He wasn't even sure if they had the cognitive capacity for it, but nonetheless he was able to explain to them how to circle his name on the paper. Twilight watched him throughout this, obviously displeased at the mockery Eta-Eta was making of her supposed democracy. She didn't interfere however, neither did the guards. They seemed eager to leave.

Eta-Eta himself voted for Celestia, just to mix things up a little. When the voting wrapped up Eta-Eta realized he had let the entire hive become centralized in the square, and all the disguised changelings had dropped their guise to be part of the vote. If Twilight ordered it the Changelings would have incredible difficulty fighting off the occupying forces, but it could be done. They would rout if merely injured, the Changelings would fight to the very bitter end. The alicorn princess that drove all this was a problem however, if she chose to she could easily raze the entire hive to the ground in seconds. Eta-Eta supposed that she wasn't capable of doing something so morally terrible, but she was a heavy threat. Rainbow Dash looked on the changelings as if she was trying to melt them with her eyes as she circled in the sky, she would also be a force to be reckoned with.

The ponies were cowards however, and they would give up long before they had to do anything as grim as destroy the hive or drive them out of their home. They had clearly planned for this to only take a few hours, and had been in the hive for almost a solid day now. Most of them hadn't slept since they arrived, which was nearly twenty hours ago.

As Eta-Eta sat at the front of the thousand, silent, assembled changelings he started off into space, thinking on what might happen. He barely noticed Captain Pike approach and address him.

"You lead them well, but you can't win." he said, sitting beside Eta-Eta.

"Neither can you." Eta-Eta replied.

"We have superior equipment and the Queen is in stone, just go along with Twilights plan. It'll be easier. "

Eta-Eta rose and turned to Captain Pike, snarling.

"You have nothing. I have a thousand changelings that will follow my orders to the end, each and every one of us would give our lives it meant helping the Queen. Her mere whim is the hives mission." Eta-Eta pointed a hoof at the stunned captain. "What would you have said to the Queen if she had asked you to 'go along with my plan' in Canterlot?" he demanded. As he spoke the eyes of a hundred changeling warriors watched the two intently.

Captain Pike thought it over for a second before replying. "I would attack." he replied.

"Exactly." Eta-Eta said, returning to his seat. "You are loyal to Equestria, and we are loyal to the Queen. Nothing can come between us and her. You have made it your mission to, and you have a choice. Either leave, or destroy us. If you don't we'll destroy you. I doubt you have the ability to attempt something as grim as wiping out a hive of peaceful beings. So leave, or be destroyed."

"Peaceful beings? You attacked us first, or did you forget?" Pike said.

"That was no invasion, the plan was to simply intermingle long enough to power our magic, the Queens position as a Princess would ensure our safety. This failed when someone detected us early on." Eta-Eta explained.

"It was still an invasion."

"And this isn't?"

Pike considered this for a moment. "You're right, it's an invasion. We have a right to defend ourselves, the Queen would surely invade again in time."

"Give it up captain, this was a bad idea in the first place. Just leave." Eta-Eta pleaded.

"I can't." he said. "Orders."

"Then we'll drive you out."

"Even if you overcome us, we'll return in greater numbers. Don't do it." Pike pleaded in turn.

"Do you really think Equestria would fight an extended aggressive war? Celestia would never allow it, that she allowed this at all is surprising."

"Well.." Captain Pike stood. "...she didn't." He trotted off to the rest of the guards as Twilight exited the fortress.

Eta-Eta was right, Celestia had never known or approved of this invasion. He hoped Eta-Gamma accomplished his mission and returned soon, preferably with Celestia in tow and beyond that, coming to negotiate an end to this farce. Otherwise people we're going to get hurt, changelings were going to get hurt. He didn't even know how he would free the Queen once he had drive the occupiers out. Kidnapping Twilight was impossible, not only did she have vast magical powers but she could teleport at will. The only hope would be to attack Equestria with such force that they had to relent.

Eta-Eta did not look forward to that.

Coming out of the fortress being a phalanx of guards she stood beside Captain Pike and addressed the crowd.

"Your attention please, Everypony--" She paused, and cleared her throat. "Everyone." she corrected herself. "The vote is in. Nine hundred ninety nine votes for Changeling 'Eta-Eta', and one vote for... Princess Celestia." Her booming voice became hushed at that.

"Eta-Eta please come with me." She said, and pointed a hoof towards him. Eta-Eta stood and turned towards the assembled changelings.

"Wait for my return." He ordered the group, which watched him intently. "In the interim: blockade the roads, nobody- and nopony- leaves." He ordered.

He turned towards the fortress, the guards watching him as he walked up. "After you, princess." He said coming to the foot of the steps. Captain Pike stood beside Twilight behind them.

"Follow me, 'king'." Twilight said, nodding at Pike who gestured the guards open a path for Eta-Eta. They did and he followed Twilight inside.

Inside the doorway the rest of the guards were assembled, chatting amongst themselves. Their conversations hushed as they saw the group walk in, Eta-Eta looked them over closely, they seemed exhausted.

"To the throne room." Twilight nudged him.

When they came to the throne room Twilight stood to the side of the door and gestured Eta-Eta inside before her. As he did Twilight and Pike entered behind him, and Eta-Eta noticed the room had been returned to the state it was in previously, less a small tea stain on the carpet. The throne was eerily empty, and the room eerily quiet. Outside on the balcony a blue pegasus was perched overlooking the courtyard as down below hasty barricades went up along the two roads leading out of the hive.

The silence was interrupted as Twilight spoke behind Eta-Eta, and he turned to reply.

"Your highness." she curtsied. "You are now legally in charge of the changelings, we can leave now knowing they are in good hands, and are free to choose their own path."

"I'm in charge?" Eta-Eta asked. "A democratically elected king." He scoffed at the bizarre idea.

"Of course, they did vote for you." Twilight replied.

Eta-Eta smirked at her and walked towards the throne. "I'm in charge then." he stopped just short of it.

"Release the Queen." He demanded, turning to face Twilight.

"I... No! She's evil and I won't allow her to threaten Equestria again!" Twilight shouted.

"Release the Queen, or you'll never leave this place." He threatened. Behind him the sun went below the horizon and the room was bathed in the glow of summers dusk.

"You just got control of the hive, and you want to bring her back? What about all the terrible things she did!" Twilight stood firm, glaring at Eta-Eta. Behind her the two door guard changelings took their positions.

"Bar the door." Eta-Eta ordered. Before Pike or Twilight could react it was done, and they were locked in.

"What are you doing?!" Twilight exclaimed

"Nobody is leaving this room until the Queen is free," Eta-Eta explained.

"I can't, I won't!" Twilight yelled.

"Your highness, is she really that bad?" Pike asked.

"She invaded Canterlot and tried to steal my brother, she is that bad, she's evil!"

"That's the spirit!" Rainbow Dash flew in from the balcony in front of Twilight. "Show these changelings who's boss! They attacked us first!"

Eta-Eta had exactly one chance left before this all devolved.

"What if I can promise you the Queen will never harm Equestria again?" Eta-Eta asked.

Twilight furrowed her brow, clearly she hadn't expected this. "What would stop her?"

"Open your borders, and sign a treaty. Both sides have attacked each other, perhaps if we put all this behind us- as friends- we can end this peacefully." Eta-Eta explained.

"A treaty? Open borders? Are you mad?" Twilight argued. "All that would do is make it even easier for you to invade again!"

"Why would we invade? The hive has much to offer Equestria, and Equestria has much to offer the hive. Our workers can work your crops, and with trade we can both prosper. The 'siphoning' of magic need not be painful either, surely the hive can find friends in the ponies, and-"

"Friends?" Rainbow Dash flew right up Eta-Eta, muzzle in his face. "We would never be friends with a bunch of evil shapeshifting bugs!"

"Equestria was founded on friendship, give it a chance." Eta-Eta said, pushing her away. "Otherwise we're about to go down a dark path." Almost poetically a shadow fell over the room as he said this, and the hairs on his mane stood on end. A sudden chill and sense of fear came over Eta-Eta, and the faces before him looked as if they had seen a ghost.

"Your.. highness?" Captain Pike said, bowing confused.

Eta-Eta turned to see what the matter was, and found himself at the end of a spear held at his face by a bat pony who's eyes shone in the dark. Behind her stood Princess Luna, the moon shining into the room from outside.

"There will be no pact made with the likes of you, evildoer." She said, and strode in front of Eta-Eta to talk to Twilight.

"I commend you on your bravery in pacifying these evildoers. The Night Guard and myself can take it from here. Where is Queen Chrysalis?" She asked Twilight.

"I uh, turned her to stone. She's in a room just outside here. Made of stone."

"Fantastic news! I never could have expected such initiative. Invading and pacifying the changelings. We'd have done it ourselves had we not been busy taming owl bears and the like." Luna patted Twilight on the head and turned to Eta-Eta, staring at him with a cold scowl.

"We... we didn't invade..." Twilight said, so softly that Eta-Eta could barely hear it.

"If this is not an invasion, then what is it, tea?" Luna snorted. "Take pride in your accomplishment Twilight Sparkle, there's much to be said for keeping Equestria safe." She turned to Captain Pike.

"How long as your guard been here?" She asked.

"About twenty hours, we arrived in the early morning with the Princess," he explained.

"Very good. You and your subordinates stand relieved. The Night Guard will take it from here." Luna said, and turned to Eta-Eta as Captain Pike saluted.

"You, you lead the changelings?" She looked him over. "Pathetic."

"I do, we we--" He was silenced by the cold stare given in return.

"I will give you one chance to surrender. You will not be harmed if you do." She demanded. "If you don't, then we will drive you clear off the continent. I've put up with your existence for far too long, you have my sister to thank for that."

It took every ounce of will he had to reply. "Never."

"Very well, you will be destroyed." Luna said, and with a flash of light Eta-Eta found himself in the courtyard, surrounded by changelings who were surrounded in turn by bat ponies with their spears pointed inwards. Darkness and dread hung over the group.

Eta-Eta had never considered the possibility of a second princess invading, much less Princess Luna herself. He knew from history that she was a force to be reckoned with, she had even tried to take Equestria for herself in ancient times. Her Night Guard was also known to follow her orders unquestionably. They were true warriors, unlike the Royal Guard. Eta-Eta knew they were truly outmatched now. His only hope was to delay the attack for long enough in the vain hope that Celestia might come in the morning, or even sooner. He wasn't quite sure how the day/night separation of rule worked.

Taking a second to take a look at his situation it looked like close to three hundred bat ponies surrounded the changelings, whom had once again been driven to the courtyard- this time at the ends of spears. Warriors, leaders, and workers were scattered amongst each other, full of fear and uncertainty. Eta-Eta had failed in his mission to free the queen. He could still honour her memory however.

"Defensive Postions!" Eta-Eta shouted. "Don't give an inch!" He turned around and saw the warriors in the group meet the ring of bat ponies face to face. Even unarmed they could still put up a fight, but not much of one. At the very least Eta-Eta would make sure the hive wouldn't go down without a fight.

"Leaders in the back, workers in the middle!" He ordered. The group was driven to action and boosted by the sense of purpose. They all felt it, together they were changelings, and together they would fight as a single organism. It was what they were- a hive.

"Make way!" Eta-Eta heard somebody shout from across the courtyard. "Hold on!"

Eta-Eta turned and saw Captain Pike approaching through the crowd of bat ponies, eliciting confused looks from them.

"Captain, you're not about to ask me to surrender are you?" Eta-Eta shouted over the din of changelings taking position.

"No! I'm not!" He shouted back, standing behind two of the bat ponies. "We need to talk!"

"About what, what could you possibly have to offer me?" Eta-Eta yelled as he directed the formation.

"I can buy you time!" Captain Pike yelled back.

Eta-Eta sighed. Whatever the Captain had to offer he might as well find out. He pushed his way to the edge of the changelings to where the Captain stood.

"How do you think that?" Eta-Eta asked, face to face with the Captain.

"This is how," he said. He dropped his spear and stepped forward beside Eta-Eta, turning his back on the changelings. "I've told the rest of the guard to stand down, but Luna can supersede that order."

"Well, Captain." Eta-Eta said, putting a hoof on the captains shoulder. "Welcome to the hive, I would offer you cider but we're fresh out."

Pausing for a second, Eta-Eta added: "And we're about to be routed by bat ponies, who have superior weapons and an alicorn. You've backed the wrong horse. You're also committing high treason so I doubt they'll be any nicer to you."

"Damn right we won't!" one of the bat ponies shouted at them. Eta-Eta scowled in that direction as he pulled Captain Pike back through the formation of warriors.

"I backed the right horse, if treason is what it takes it fight for what's right, then treason it is." Captain Pike said as they came into the centre of the group.

"I was right, changelings and ponies can be friends." Eta-Eta said, smiling for the first time in days.

"Too bad it took two invasions to realize that." Captain Pike said, returning the smile.

They turned towards the fortress, Luna stood on the balcony looking down on them all. Her mane seemed full of stars at it flowed behind her, Twilight was nowhere to be seen.

Eta-Eta had known matters would escalate, but didn't think the odds would turn astronomical.