• Published 23rd Dec 2013
  • 4,679 Views, 148 Comments

Dreams of a Dragon - jh 8



Spike thought that he had found his place among ponies. He finally had the family he desired so much, but life had other plans for him.

  • ...
11
 148
 4,679

Chapter 7: Trap

Author's Note:

Well, here is the next chapter, And i hope you can enjoy it.
I will edit this chapter if it is not well recieved.

!!EDIT!!: I am going to edit this chapter to make certain aspects less prominent(or scratch them entirely if I see fit).
I see now that Spike's mental state might be a bit off.
* edit are now complete*

Spike readied himself for the coming fight he had dragged himself into, but he really didn't want to turn around this time. He already knew what was coming, because he had seen it before. Spike accidently let out an angry, but silent growl pure out of frustration. It looked like his animal instincts hadn't completely left his body He could still feel his body tense up, ready to take whatever action was needed. But the feeling was a bit different than before

Spike felt something different , besides the thumping and stinging pain in his still slightly bleeding arm and back. It was an unmistakable dose of fear that had entered his body, leaving his legs and arms slightly shaking. It was something he hadn't felt earlier this day. Was it also part of his dragon/animal instinct? Was this the reason why he felt different than before? Spike knew he was in danger, and up against something much larger then himself. It could be that his instinct was telling him to flee instead of fight. Whatever the case was, Spike was just standing there, nailed to the ground while he saw the last of the Timberwolf's paw crawls away from him.

It must have been a couple of years ago now since he last saw this phenomenon, but the sound of wood coming together on a big pile, along with logs, twigs and branches that came flying out of the forest was almost identical. It was the assembly of a giant Timberwolf.
He thought back to that time, as more memories came to Spike's mind: there was growling and howling sounds made by ponies, the most unconvincing Timberwolf puppet that ever existed, and one of the worst acting performances Spike had ever seen.

I can't believe I almost fell for that trick" Spike's thought

But Spike wasn't fooled back then. That was because one element was lacking from the equation, the Timberwolf's breath. And unfortunately for Spike it was very much present this time, as a slightly warm foul-smelling wind hit his back, accompanied by a loud roar that shook his very core. But Spike didn't move an inch. At least there was still some distance between him and his premature death.

"Might as well turn around, I am probably going to die anyway, so why not with a bit of dignity. With a bit of luck, I could even end up in heaven" Spike thought to himself. " No, Stop thinking like that, it is way to early to just give up. "I just need to try to come up with something that will save my life"

That was easier said than done at this point. Every fibre in Spike's body told him to run, and his brain seemed to agree, but where should he run to? He was still in the open and clearly visible. He could not hide. And running didn't ensure victory: The Timberwolf was much larger than him, and would probably run him down in no time.Time, which also meant that Spike couldn't circle around it. Spike had to get out of the open and into the forest first, hoping that the forest was dense enough to slow the Timberwolf down.

Fighting was the other obvious option, but Spike found himself again in a desperate position. There was the matter of size that formed an obstacle for Spike. The giant Timberwolf was probably much faster than him because of its long legs, and spike would certainly lose a direct confrontation based on brute strength, Besides Spike was already wounded.

Spike knew he had to turn around now but he took one last look at the ground in a last attempt to come up with something. It didn't even need to be a plan, but something that could help him in one way or the other. It could be small rocks or stones for all he cared, it worked the last time. He continued to look at the ground not knowing what to do, as he saw that a big looming motionless creature-shaped shadow had fallen over him. How did that giant thing manage to sneak up on him? The shadow was not motionless for long, as a it's monstrously large claw began to rise in the air, ready to strike him at any given moment.

Spike, knowing that he had to do something at this point continued to look at the ground. There were still no stones. "Can't things go the way I like them to go, if it is only for one time" Spike thought "If I could just change the things into my favour then I would..." Spike's mind lay blank for a while, when a imaginary light bulb was suddenly being plugged in. "Change the setting, THAT'S IT" Spike thought.

He was still looking around the forest floor. There might not have been any stones for him to use, but the burning Timberwolf which he had defeated earlier now lay motionless in front of his feet. This gave Spike a number of well needed options to carry out his plan.

"I think that I know what to do" Spike thought to himself. "I just have to..." Spike's thoughts was cut short, party by himself and partly by soft growling, which was now dangerously close to him. Spike had no more time to waste, not even for explaining his plan to HIMSELF. That again, he never has time to lose. He quickly moved his body with the last ounce of willpower, Fighting back his fears and forcing his shaking legs and hurting arm into action. Grabbed the burning pile of wood in front of him and picked it up. Spike was once again grateful that he was a dragon, and that he had tough scales.

Spike had grabbed the burning Timberwolf by its front legs, and gave it a yank while he finally turned around, making a 180 degree circle, and swung the burning Timberwolf right into his attacker's head. This caused the detachment of Spike's Timberwolf's front legs, leaving Spike with the two slightly burning limbs in both claws.

The giant Timberwolf recoiled a bit, swiping his claws in front of his face in an attempt to remove the burning wood, but no serious damage was done, at least not yet.

"Well time to go" Spike gave into his instinct, and indirectly his fear. He ran, using his fear as an advantage, as fast as he could in the opposite direction of the Timberwolf. He reached the first rows of trees when another roar reached Spike, causing his to run even faster. He shielded his face against the incoming branches and twigs, as he made his way deeper into the forest.

Spike saw the irony in his actions. First picking a fight, and than running away like his life depends on it. He could almost hear a younger version of himself say: "you'll see what us ponies do when confronted by a huge group of jerky dragons." But this time he took the cowards way out because of bigger plan. It was a good thing that he had lived with a neurotic, by the books, unicorn after all. He had to be ready to perform under stress if she started to behave crazy, or run away as fast as he could when things went south. And he was doing just that: run away.

"[i/] I have no time for the past right now, I got to Focus!" Spike thought as he jumped over a dead tree, when suddenly in another case of irony, one of his feet got caught behind a branch, causing him to almost falling down when he reached the other side. He stopped his fall with his claws, causing him to drop one of his Timberwolf limbs.

"Damnit!” He yelled out in frustration.

This was not a good moment to fall down and stop moving, the Timberwolf wasn't supposed to catch up yet. The ground was shaking underneath Spike after a large footstep was heard from behind him, followed by loud roaring and growling. The Timberwolf had recovered faster than expected, and was, unsurprisingly, still chasing him.

"Well, so much for hiding" Spike thought. The Timberwolf was getting closer, which Spike knew by the increasing sound of the power which the earth shook underneath him.

Spike quickly stood up again, and made a run for it, leaving one of his scorched wooden weapons behind. He quickly picked up speed, and ran as fast as his formerly chubby body could handle. He had to get to his target before the Timberwolf caught up with him. He could feel the wind in his face, and his heart pounding in his chest. He could swear that he felt the warm breath of the Timberwolf on the back of his neck, but the bad smell stayed out. He must been imagining things. Nonetheless, it caused him to move even faster, passing many trees in a small amount of time.

Spike noticed one thing as his little sprint continued: the forest was getting less and less dense while the chase continued. Spike didn't even need to shield his face against branches and twigs anymore. The sun's light also found its way through the trees above, while the forest was for the most part still dark, it was making things much easier to see. He was getting closer and closer to the 'civilized' world beyond the Everfree forest, and closer to his immediate target.

"At least I can afford to miss my destination and run further" Spike thought as he continued running. " There are enough ponies to distract Fido if I reached Ponyville"

that thought was followed by another piece of Spike's mind:"My current sanity status worries me sometimes"

No time for arguing with himself, Spike had to run, jumping over every obstacle in his way, circling around every big tree, and slapping the occasional branch out of his face. He tried everything, he zigzagged, and jumped through particularly densely growing tree groups in hopes of slowing the Timberwolf down. Unfortunately it had little to no effect, but Spike had to be sure that the giant Timberwolf wouldn't catch him at the very last minute.

Spike jumped through a particularly densely growing group of trees, again hoping to win some space between him and his attacker. He made it to the other side without a scratch, making contact with the leaf covered ground and kept running. He looked at his immediate surroundings and saw that he was almost on a path-like area. There were less trees, and the ground was more sand like with grass. Spike began to smile, because he recognized this place. A shadow had fallen over him, blocking out sunlight from above, and making it slightly colder. Spike looked ahead to see what caused the shadow, and almost ran into a large stone wall. It was the same cliff Spike encountered when he first discovered the Timberwolves that were living in the Everfree Forest so many years ago, the same day that he had sold himself to an orange coloured earth pony.

The cliff stretched for too long to just walk around it. The Timberwolf would catch up to him anyway. But Spike had no intent to run around it or climb over it.

Spike knew that he was stuck if he wanted to attempt running away again. And by the sound of it the Timberwolf was trying to get through the thick tree barrier, getting closer and closer to him, running wasn't really an option any more. It must have looked like he was stuck from an outsider's point of view, just like before. And this time there was no orange earth pony to save his life. Not that she could do anything if she was here.

Spike's stream of thought was broken the sound of two trees snapping and their subsequent fall to the ground broke his concentration. Spike turned around and saw the Timberwolf emerging from the shadows of the forest, glowing green eyes scanning every area that was in front of them, until they finally locked onto his position. Spike took a unwilling step back, hitting the cliff with the back of his back, causing more pain to his already wounded body.

The Timberwolf, almost at the same time took two steps ahead, letting the ground shake every time a paw hit the forest ground. Then another paw hit the ground, and another, and another, each one hitting the ground faster than its predecessor did, and shaking the ground with more force as its predecessor did. The Timberwolf picked up speed, running toward its target it had been chasing during the last few minutes.

Spike took a deep breath, trying to relax. He knew that this wasn't the end yet.

The Timberwolf was now at full speed, and ran toward Spike, his green glowing gaze was still focused on him, watching every move Spike made. Spike on the other hand stayed motionless as he saw his impending doom running toward him. This was the moment Spike was waiting for. The time of running away, and fleeing was over now. Spike as forced his body to detach from the stone wall, which responded by letting a few small pebbles and rocks fall to the ground. All according to plan. Spike forced his wounded arm to bring the Timberwolf's claw into fighting position at the same moment.

He brought it to his mouth, as he released a puff of green fire. Spike knew that fire was an effective weapon because he had already used it in the fight against regular sized-Timberwolves. More rubble came down the cliffside, covering part of Spike's left foot. Spike mentally readied himself as the Timberwolf was running at a straight line toward him. his plan might just might work after all

Spike took his burning weapon with his undamaged hand. He quickly aimed, which was not easy because he himself was shaking thanks to the Timberwolf's steps getting closer and closer. Spike threw his 'spear' as fast as he could, all the while looking his attacker straight in the eyes. Time seemed to slow down a bit as the burning weapon flew through the air, and finally hit it's mark.

The burning stick hit the Timberwolf right in the chest, causing a bit of flame to spread, but just as before there was no real damage done. The Timberwolf just continued its way to where its prey was. It might just have been a minor annoyance to the Timberwolf, but a minor annoyance was all that Spike needed. Even the equivalent of something like a mosquito bite to a larger creature could take its attention away from Spike for just a few moments. And those few moments were all Spike needed.

It was enough time for Spike to dash forward, and to deeply inhale. Spike was now close enough to see that the Timberwolf looked a bit surprised, but that could also have been his imagination. He jumped as high as his wounded body could handle, and exhaled the largest majestic green flame that the dragon ever created right onto the Timberwolf’s head. This effectively blinded the monster while Spike's feet hit the ground again, sending a shock through his bruised body.

The Timberwolf kept running, shaking its head viciously, trying to get the flames away. It had lost all its focus and sense about the outside world. It tried to slow down but it was too late for the poor creature. It slammed with considerable speed right into the giant stone wall. Spike could swear that he could hear a small, uncharacteristic yelp among the sound of wood connecting to solid stone, from the giant creature upon impact. The thing that followed was giant scattering of wood and stone all over the forest floor, falling from the sky piece by piece while spike enjoyed the show. There was nothing left of the giant creature, only the few pieces of wood buried under the rubble, and a slightly green-coloured, foul-smelling smog which spread itself through the surrounding area.