• Published 26th Dec 2013
  • 1,979 Views, 72 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 20: The Cure - Doctor Perseus



In order to save his friends and another world from total destruction, the Doctor will have to face one of his greatest enemies yet: himself.

  • ...
5
 72
 1,979

The Hearth's Warming Eve Party

Chapter 1: The Hearth's Warming Eve Party

Home of Twilight Sparkle, Ponyville, Equestria, Gaia, Winter, 1002 C.E.

"Open up, Doctor! It's Hearth's Warming Eve!" called the excited Pinkie Pie as she rapped her hooves against the TARDIS doors. There was no response. Twilight, Donna, and Spike were currently moving about the library and finishing putting up the last bits of decorations for the party.

"Hopefully this will make up for Christmas," Donna joked as she placed a large punch bowl on a long table covered in a red and green plastic.

"Don't worry. We don't usually see ice zombies here during Hearth's Warming Eve," Twilight replied with a giggle.

"Doctor!" Pinkie groaned. "Come on! The party's going to start soon!"

"You might as well give up now, Pinkie Pie," Donna said with a shrug of her shoulders. "Once the Doctor gets focused on something it's hard to distract him with anything else."

"We'll just see about that." Pinkie rubbed her hooves together as a devious smile appeared on her face. "It's time for me to do this...PINKIE PIE STYLE!"

Donna leaned back against the wall and grabbed one of the iced cookies. "This should be interesting."

The Doctor was looking over a marathon of data on one of the console monitors. "Inter-dimensional irregularities appear to have become stagnant over here in Equestria," he stated. "But there seems to be a lot of disturbances coming from a land on the other side of the ocean."

"Are you still going over all of that?" asked a voice from behind. The Doctor jumped and turned around. Pinkie Pie stood there with a determined look on her face. "We're about to have a Hearth's Warming Eve party and this is what you'd rather be doing right now?!"

The Doctor began to quickly glance between the TARDIS doors and Pinkie Pie. "How the hell did you come in here?"

"I walked in!" Pinkie gave a huge smile.

"But those doors are locked! Not even the armies of Genghis Khan could get past those doors!"

"Well, the plot of this story requires me to get in here so that I can convince you to come out and enjoy the party!"

The Doctor tilted his head. "Story?"

Pinkie jumped in the air and giggled. "Story?! You have a story?! I have a story too! It's about this pink, adorable mare that snuck into some shut-in stallion's invincible box in order to get him to go to a party! It's a gem!"

The Doctor stared at Pinkie for a moment before an amused smile appeared on his face. He let out a long, entertained laugh and wiped his eyes. "I swear, Pinkie Pie, you might just be the one thing in this universe I might never be able to solve...and I'm surprisingly okay with that."

"Goodie!" Pinkie grabbed the Doctor and pulled him towards the TARDIS doors. "Now come out and have some fun! You've been cooped up in your box for far too long now!"

"Don't you ever get tired of parties, Pinkie? You only just threw a welcome party for Donna."

Pinkie let out a loud gasp before bringing the Doctor close and staring deep into his eyes. "Me tired of parties?! NEVER!" The Doctor let out a soft yelp as the pink mare shoved him through the doors.

"That was quicker than I expected," Twilight teased as she stared down at the Doctor, who was lying on the floor at the foot of the TARDIS with an annoyed, amused look on his face.

The Doctor rolled his eyes and stood up, brushing the dust off his brown suit. "I'm glad that you enjoyed the show, Ms. Sparkle," he stated.

There was a knock at the door and Pinkie shot across the library. "They're here! Let the party begin!" she exclaimed. She didn't waste any time in opening the door and a small crowd of ponies passed through the threshold. The crowd consisted of Derpy, Applejack and her family, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Sweetie Belle, Fluttershy, Scootaloo, Zecora, and the Cakes. Before long, the library was filled with the sounds of ponies talking, laughing, and doing whatever else ponies do at parties.

The Doctor slipped over to an area behind the punch table and began examining the readings on a small, remote-like device in his hooves. "And what exactly are you doing?" asked a teasing voice.

The Doctor jumped and turned to see Derpy standing a foot away from him. "Derpy! Who? Me? Not much. Just checking the weather," he stammered in reply. Derpy raised an eyebrow. "Okay, fine. I'm looking into some readings about any dimensional rifts in the area."

"And you've decided to do this during the Hearth's Warming Eve party?"

"I have a really strong feeling that I need to find as much info about these rifts as quickly as possible. Don't tell me, Ms. Hooves, that you've forgotten about all that's happened because of them."

"Of course I haven't forgotten." Derpy began shuffling her hooves. "I'm just thinking that it's a holiday and you should be focusing a bit more on having some fun."

The Doctor looked at the others smiling, talking with each other, and eating the various holiday treats. "I guess loosening up for a little bit wouldn't hurt."

Derpy smiled brightly. "Good!" She and the Doctor began to walk away from the punch table. "You should be thankful that it was I who found you. Pinkie would've probably torn you apart."

"Believe me, I don't think I want to get on the bad side of a mare who can break into my TARDIS." The Doctor shook a bit and Derpy laughed.

Across the room, Twilight and her friends were talking with each other. "I must say, Pinkie Pie, this is another marvelous party you've prepared," Rarity complimented as she took a sip of punch.

"Thanks! I always try my best!" Pinkie exclaimed.

"Well would y'all look at that," Applejack chuckled as she pointed towards the Doctor and Derpy laughing and having a conversation with Zecora.

"It looks like somepony's finally decided to get out of his box and have some fun," said Rainbow Dash.

"He just needed a little nudge!" Pinkie said with a giggle.

"Oh...I'm sure he's had a lot on his mind," said Fluttershy.

"He has," Twilight stated. "He's been looking further into those dimensional rifts."

"I don't blame him. Look at all the trouble they've caused," said Rarity.

"Let's just hope that we start getting some peace around here." Twilight let out a long sigh.

"We could definitely use some," said Applejack.

"So, AJ, is everything alright over at the farm?" Rainbow asked.

"Yeah. Things are good. Granny Smith's been in a much better mood recently." Twilight couldn't help but smile warmly at this. "There wasn't much cleaning up to do after that whole incident with the Weeping Angel and Colgate."

Rainbow crossed her forelegs. "Speaking of her, the nerve she had to just run out without saying goodbye!"

"She said goodbye to Twilight, Spike, and the Doctor. That counts for something," said Fluttershy.

"But still. After all we did to help her, she just up and disappears!" Rainbow snapped.

"She was ready to get home, Rainbow Dash," Twilight explained. "I think anypony would want to head home after experiencing what happened to her."

Rainbow gave a slight nod of agreement. "I hope she's doing better now," Applejack stated with a small smile.

"I think she'll be fine. If Trixie can make a comeback, I'm sure Colgate has a chance at a fresh start," said Rarity.

"Is Trixie doing shows again or something like that?" Rainbow asked.

"Actually, yes. I've read about it in a few Canterlot newspapers that Spike delivers to me. She's apparently starting to make a positive name for herself."

"Good for her," Twilight said with a smile.

"Y'all enjoying the party, Big Mac?" Applejack asked as her brother walked by.

"Eeyup," replied the stallion.

Suddenly, Twilight felt a shiver run down her spine. The air around her grew extremely cold and the sounds of the party grew muffled. Through the muffled air, she could hear what sounded like her own voice calling out from the distance. "Doctor. Must find you. I need you. We all need you. We need the cure for the cure. Doctor," stated the voice.

"Daydreaming already, Ms. Sparkle?" asked the Doctor as he stepped in front of Twilight.

Twilight shook her head and rubbed her temple. "Wha?" she asked.

"You must have been thinking really hard about something. You had this glassy look on your face and were staring off into nothing."

"Oh. I thought I...never mind."

The Doctor raised an eyebrow. "Is everything alright?"

"Of course! It's Hearth's Warming Eve and I'm having a party with some of my closest friends! Nothing's wrong at all!" Twilight put on a somewhat forced smile and tried her best to take her mind off the voice she had heard; but she couldn't shake off a feeling of dread located deep within her psyche.

"So are you enjoying yourself, Doctor?" asked Pinkie with a huge grin.

"I am, to be honest," the Doctor replied as he took a sip of punch.

"Nice to get out of that old box isn't it?"

The Doctor placed a hoof against his muzzle and gave a sharp shhh. "Don't say that too loud!" The Doctor glanced back at the TARDIS before turning back to the mares. "She might hear you."

"I didn't know the TARDIS cared about its age," said Derpy with a smirk.

"She pretends not to but she does. Believe me, I've spent over nine centuries exploring my universe with her," said the Doctor.

The mares exchanged a series of awkward glances when Donna suddenly appeared, her breathing heavy. "You look like you've just run a marathon," said Rainbow Dash.

"No," Donna breathed. "I just...escaped...from them."

Donna glanced back towards Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo, who were now huddled together and talking about whatever it is that young fillies talk about. "Did they barrage ya with questions and stuff like that?" Applejack asked with an amused roll of her eyes.

"They kept asking me why humans don't have cutie marks and I almost ended up describing to them what a tattoo is."

"Tattoo?" asked Rarity.

"Don't ask me to explain," said Donna. "I don't think Equestria is in need of tattoos right now."

"I'm with you on that one, Donna," said the Doctor. "Equestria certainly doesn't need any more tattoos than it already has...but I could use a hot cocoa right about now."

"I'll get it!" said Derpy with a sparkle in her eyes as she took to the air and shot off towards the kitchen.

"Smooth segway there, Doctor," Donna commented with a teasing glare.

The Doctor gave a boasting smile. "I know it was! Good thing I have a craving for hot chocolate right now."

Donna sighed and shook her head. Derpy suddenly returned with a tray topped with several mugs filled with hot cocoa. She quickly flew towards the Doctor while Twilight and her friends' eyes went wide. "Oh no," said Rainbow Dash. Just before she expectedly crashed into the Doctor, Derpy came to a smooth stop and landed in front of the Doctor. She presented the tray with a smile and giggled. Rainbow Dash's jaw dropped a bit. "Wow...no crash."

"Your cocoa, Doctor," said Derpy, still beaming from ear to ear.

"Thank you, Derpy," the Doctor said back.

Just before the Doctor could grab a mug, a blast of green fire erupted behind Derpy. Derpy's entire body shook with surprise and the tray of hot cocoa fell forward onto the Doctor. Donna, Rarity, and Fluttershy simultaneously clasped their mouths, Rainbow and Pinkie smirked a bit, Twilight's and Applejack's eyes widened, and Derpy's face became as red as ketchup. "I'm sorry!" Derpy pleaded.

"It wasn't your fault, Derpy," said Twilight before narrowing her eyes and glaring at Spike, who was standing behind Derpy clasping his mouth and holding a scroll in his claws.

The Doctor laughed as he examined the soaked front of his suit. "I know I said I had a craving for some cocoa but nopony had to throw it at me," he chuckled.

"Sorry again, Doctor," said Derpy as she shuffled her forelegs.

"It's fine, Derpy. Nopony's hurt...although my chest may be a bit singed for the next hour or so." Derpy winced a bit. "Everything's fine! I'm fine! We're all fine! But a towel would be nice."

"I'll get one," said Donna as she walked off into the kitchen.

Just then, a strong chill ran up Twilight's spine. It felt to her as if the snow from outside had piled in and was now filling the air. She also heard the familiar voice again. This time it sounded much louder and closer. "Doctor. I've found you," stated the voice with an odd, happy tone.

"Something wrong, Twilight?" asked Fluttershy. Twilight shook her head and turned to Fluttershy. "Oh. I'm sorry if I distracted you from something."

"You didn't distract me, Fluttershy," Twilight stated with a warm smile.

"Well you definitely looked like you were thinking about something," said Rainbow Dash. "Your face being all glassy and all."

"Daydreaming again, Twilight?" the Doctor asked with a teasing tone.

"I certainly hope so," Twilight replied.

Donna returned with a towel and handed it to the Doctor, who began to start drying off his wet suit. "That doesn't look good," said Spike as he read the scroll he had burped out.

"What doesn't?" Applejack asked.

Spike handed the scroll to Twilight. "She is coming. Prepare yourselves, dearies," she read aloud. She looked at everypony and exchanged confused looks before focusing on Spike. "Is this from the Princess?"

"I don't think so. It didn't feel like it came from her. It felt like it came from somepony else."

"Dearies," said the Doctor. "Dearies. Dearies. Dearies." His eyes widened slightly. "Sweeties."

Suddenly, everypony stopped what they were doing and became still. A strange, powerful, electrical sensation had appeared in the air and now everypony's hair felt like it was standing on end. A soft roar could be heard in the back of all of their ears and all the sounds of the world appeared to be muffled by an unknown force. "Does anypony else in here feel...odd?" Donna asked.

"A strange force, I do detect," said Zecora. "This usually means nothing good, I do reflect."

Twilight looked down at the scroll and gulped. "She is coming," she said.

Just then, the entire library started to shake and an orb of light appeared in the center of the room. "Back up!" ordered the Doctor. Everypony stepped back as the orb widened into a rift about the size of Donna. Sparks of electricity shot from it and smoke poured through its opening. A window shattered upstairs and the floor cracked beneath the opening. A small shockwave spread outwards as the rift closed and something fell out.

The second the rift closed, everything returned to normal. The electrical feel disappeared, sound returned, and the chill vanished. However, nopony felt comfortable due to the figure lying on the floor in the center of the room. "Is...is that a human?" Donna asked.

The Doctor nodded as he stepped forward to examine the new arrival. It was a human girl who appeared to be in her late teens. She had fair skin covered in dust, cuts, and bruises and flowing purple hair which was singed in certain areas. A green army helmet was placed on her head and she was clothed in a green jacket, black undershirt, black pants, and brown boots. A wand of sorts was clutched tightly in her right hand and a strange, white, futuristic device was attached to one of her wrists. The Doctor knelt down next to her as her eyes slowly opened. "You don't need to be afraid. You are safe. But we would like to know who you are."

The girl's eyes focused on the Doctor and a warm smile fell upon her face. "I...I can't remember," she said with a sigh.

"Pardon?"

"I remember nothing. My name. My life. My friends. Where I'm from. Why I'm here. But...I know who you are, Doctor." Her smile grew slightly wider. "I've found you, Doctor. I don't know why I needed to find you but...I'm glad that I have. You're needed. You're...you're Equestria's last hope."

"What do you mean?!" Before the girl could answer further, her eyes rolled up and she lost consciousness. The Doctor stood up and turned towards the others. "We need to get her to the hospital. Now!"

"On it!" said Rainbow Dash as she and Fluttershy flew over and picked the unconscious teen up. As they did, something fell out of one of her pockets.

"What's that?" asked Spike.

"It looks like a name tag," said Donna as the Doctor picked it up. His eyes scanned over the name on the piece of plastic before him and a sigh escaped his lips.

"Well? What does it say? What's her name?" Twilight asked.

The Doctor turned back towards his unicorn friend as he presented the name tag to her. "Her name is...Twilight Sparkle," he replied.