• Published 1st Apr 2014
  • 4,081 Views, 52 Comments

Sins of the Mother - Chelis



The children of the main six embark on a quest to save their parents in a foreign land.

  • ...
30
 52
 4,081

Daddy Daughter Time

Night Light and Starburst. Source

Princess Starburst's philosophy about life could of been reduced to one sentence: everything is a battlefield. She did not want to spend all hours of her day like her mother: Surrounded by dusty, old books from sunrise to sunset, to learn things that one would not learn in the real world.

What would be useful in the real world would be weapons and the ability to use them. Swords, guns, bows and arrows. Those were the instruments that made the world go round, paved the way to the rise and fall of mighty nations before her time, and would still be useful for the rest of time itself.

A good step to learning how to wield them was to practice using them. What better way to do that was in the sparring field that was in her home's barracks. The Castle of the Two Sisters was rebuilt years after the coronation of her mother into royalty. It was mostly due to the fact she was expecting Starburst.

Fast forward many years later, and the castle looked as beautiful as the day it was first rebuilt. And on that particular day, the princess and her father were in that sparring field. wooden bleachers surround them, but were empty. The field was filled with sand. The thought was that it would make the fighters quicker on their feet in no time. Princess Starburst was slower on the feet, but she was as powerful on her swing as men and women twice her size.

With the signal to attack coming from her father by a whistle, the young princess charged her father with a wooden sword in hand. He refused to move and even swung his piece at Starburst's head. She stood at 5'2, so dodging attacks were easy enough for her. She rolled under his swing and swung at his rib cage with all of her fury. With a simple twist to his sword arm as if he was to sheath it, he blocked her hack. She back out of his range, kicking up sand at the same time. It caused her to tear a bit which distracted her enough to signal her father to move and take a stab at her chest. She rolled away from his stab and again took a big swing at him. Again, he blocked it and countered with his own stab. Starburst decided to jump on his sword instead of dodging it and set her petite body up with a perfect strike at his head. She once again managed a large swing to his head. Not only did he block the wooden sword, but his other hand managed to smack the princess in the face, down to the ground.

Although a loving and dedicated father, Prince Flash Sentry refused to go light on his daughter. He believed that it was his duty to train his little girl to be the best soldier she could be, so that day where a soldier and the castle priest come to him and his wife with the terrible news that their little girl is not coming home would never see the light of day.

"So, did you know what you did wrong?" Flash asked as he helped her daughter up, who was still nursing the stinging pain on her cheek.

"Yes, Dad. I didn't swing hard enough."

"Sweetie, you can't just swing in anger. The only way you can succeed in battle is to clear you mind and body of any and all distractions. That also means anger, fear, joy, regret, and any emotion that is not required to defeat your opponent and sends you home in one piece."

"I know father, It's just-,"

"Blood lust?" Flash asked. Starburst's split second emotion of shame gave it away. "It's alright, Starburst. Everyone wants their first kill. To know they are worthy as a warrior. I had the same when I first entered the service myself."

They sat on the bleachers and took a break. They had been training since before sunrise, and would probably continue until sunset. That was the way of the Pegasus clan. Non stop preparation, training, and drills to become a one person killing machine. Starburst was lucky enough the linage of both the magical Unicon Clan and the Bloodthirsty Pegasus Clan. Even if she did not like to use magic at all, she knew a few destruction spells in case she was in a really tight bind.

Princess Twilight was busy in the affairs in running her kingdom, while the crown prince was charged in protecting it. But, being a small kingdom surrounded by their allies from Canterlot, the only action they would receive would be the occasional monster sulking about in the wild forest that surrounded the castle. Around 99.9% of the time, the creature would be put down without any real damage to the guards.

"Dad, can you tell me about your first kill?" Starburst asked.

"I never told you about that?"

"No."

Flash Sentry placed his waterskin down and started. "This was when I was a guard at the Crystal Empire. I was patrolling the border with your Uncle Shining Armor. Back then he didn't know that your mother and I were seeing each other. Anyway, It was uneventful up until that point, but I was nervous: I was supposed to ask him for his blessing of dating her. We were attacked by a small band of griffon brigands near the border. Shining was knocked from his horse and was nearly gutted by one of the brigands. Luckily, I had my flintlock in hand. I took down the kid in one shot. The rest of the brigands were killed by the rest of the patrol. As I checked to see he was alright, he proclaimed that "I can come over and fuck his sister". It was there and then he found out I was dating her."

On the other side of the courtyard, a younger man in robes was practicing some spells. Some were illusion (even to the point of him disappearing), alteration (tuned a lead bar in front of him into gold), and even destruction (shot a fire bolt at a straw target, incinerating it in a instant.

"Do me a favor, Star" Flash Sentry asked as they observed his son, named Night Light. "Someday you and your little brother might be called together into battle. Watch his back and don't lose sight of him, please? You two might not get along perfectly, but you both are family, and that is more important than anything."

"I will, father," Starburst promised as she took a giant gulp of water from her waterskin.

"Tell you what, kiddo. You worked hard enough today. How about you visit your friends in Ponyville?"

"But I have so much work to do to be captain of the guard!"

"In time, sweetie. Remember: even protecting our kingdom is not a 24/7 job. You must have time off to preserve your morale. I'm not only saying this as your father, but also as your commanding officer, basically its a order, soldier."

Starburst took less than a half a hour to get ready. All she really needed to do was have a quick, cold bath and get her usual clothes ready: undergarments, tank top, shorts, and her lucky pink bandanna that was loosely tied around her neck.

Also on her person was a small dagger. Her horse's saddle carried the sword and musket.

The ride from deep in the Everfree forest to the center of Ponyville was a twenty minute gallop. She planned to visit Golden Delicious at Sweet Apple Acres first, but decided to stop at Sugar Cube Corner for a quick drink, where she met her friends laughing at an embarrassed Prism and Whirlwind trying to avoid Cotton Candy's 21 questions. It all ended in cheers when they noticed Starburst. Hugs were exchanged and she was invited to join the already crowded table.

For the children of the elements of harmony, their days of youth and pseudo innocence felt like it would last forever.

Unfortunately, everything good must come to an end, right?