• Published 16th Dec 2013
  • 14,148 Views, 1,374 Comments

Responses To A Disgruntled Friendship Student - keaton-furman-prower



Princess Celestia sends Twilight Sparkle to Ponyville to learn about friendship. This is going to be fun!

  • ...
72
 1,374
 14,148

PreviousChapters Next
Friendship Games

Author's Note:

Original letter here.

Dear Superintendent Discord:

Principal Abacus Cinch has been blackmailing me by refusing to approve my application to Everton unless I participate in the Friendship Games. I have video and audio recordings to prove it. I await your reply.

Sincerely, Twilight Sparkle.


Dear Rainbow Dash:

How the fuck did you figure out that my hair is naturally lavender?!

Sincerely, Adagio Dazzle

P.S.: Would you, by any chance, know where I can get a whole lot of bottles of cheap orange dye? Because the designer stores won't let me take any of it now that I can't brainwash them, and I have a lot of hair that is going to lose its beautiful orange color.


Dear Principal Cinch:

Could you remind me again why these games are referred to as the "Friendship" Games when there is no actual friendship involved?

Sincerely, Celestia.


Dear Principal Celestia:

We originally planned on using a different name. Unfortunately, it was taken by Suzanne Collins.

Ah well. Happy Friendship Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Sincerely, Principal Cinch.

P.S.: Ah, who am I kidding? We both know the odds will never be in your favor.


Dear Principals Celestia and Cinch:

Would either of you care to explain why chemistry, cake making, birdhouse building, and mathematics are used to detemine who gets to participate in a sports competition?!

Sincerely, Twilight Sparkle.


Dear Twilight Sparkle:

Now that I have the ability to speak my mind and communicate on a deep and meaningful level, I'm pretty sure that I count as a fully sentient being. And as such, I have certain rights, including the right to decide for myself what I do with my own body.

So... could you please be a nice girl and cancel next week's visit to the vet?

Sincerely, Spike.


Twilight and Spike gasped as the spell landed them in yet another alternate timeline.

"Starliiiiight!!!" Twilight yelled. "I will fucking murder you!!!"

"Yeah, good luck with that," said Spike. "So... what kind of freaky alternate timeline did we land in this time?"

Twilight shook her head and looked around. Surprisingly, everything seemed... normal. Pegasi flew in the skies, ponies trotted through the streets, and no sign of disaster could be seen anywhere.

"That's strange," said Twilight. "Why hasn't Equestria fallen into chaos this time?"

"I dunno," said Spike. "Maybe Starlight had second thoughts and decided to help Celestia defeat all the evil beings who tried to attack Equestria?"

Twilight rolled her eyes.

"Stop being an idiot, Fax Machine. Now keep your eyes peeled. There's no telling what kind of peril awaits us this-"

Before she could say any more, a huge crack of pure magic formed above their heads.

"What the hell?!"

Twilight and Spike watched in shock as more cracks formed all across their field of vision. Their eyes then widened as the cracks began to widen, revealing a large number of terrified creatures. However, what immediately caught their attention was exactly what the creatures were.

"Are those... humans?! Twilight! Those are humans!"

Twilight stared blankly as a number of humans began to fall off the edges of the cracks. She then turned around, and watched as ponies everywhere fled in terror at the sight of the strange apelike creatures falling into their world.

Her horn began to shimmer, activating the time-traveling spell once again. As she grabbed Spike and prepared to jump into the portal, she said one word.

"Nope."



"I understand you, Twilight. And I want to show you the most important magic of all!"

Sunset Shimmer then tossed the device onto the floor, releasing the magic that it had captured. As she absorbed it, her appearance changed; her clothes were replaced by a long white dress, her hair became light and wavy, a long horn formed atop her head, and a pair of wings made of light formed on her back.

"The Magic of Friendship!"

Her friends smiled as Sunset activated her new-found magic powers to close the cracks in reality. Midnight Sparkle grimaced in shock, only to scowl as she attacked Sunset. The two girls aimed at each other and released two massive blasts of magic at each other. For a moment it seemed that Sunset was going to come out on top; however, Midnight's magic soon began to overwhelm her.

As all this went on, Spike watched in horror as the girl who had raised him attempted to destroy everything he'd ever known.

"I have to stop this!"

Much to Fluttershy's shock, he wiggled out of her grasp and ran towards her...

...only to fall into one of the cracks.

"SPIKE!" Fluttershy yelled, lunging after him in an attempt to save him. Unfortunately, this only succeeded in causing her to fall in as well. Even worse, Sunset realized what had happened, and looked downwards.

"Fluttershy!"

Before Sunset could realize the mistake she'd made, Midnight's magic had already atomized her.

"YES!!!" Midnight cheered. "Now nothing can stop me!"

As students ran away in horror, Midnight blasted more and more holes into the fabric of reality, causing various students to fall into Equestria screaming.


*2 hours later*


"And then I blasted everyone who tried to oppose me!"

All around Midnight Sparkle, the other patrons of the pub cheered in approval. The bartender, an old man with pale, wrinkly skin, chuckled as he used some sort of magic to levitate a mug of cider.

"Well done, young Midnight," he said as he set the mug in front of the girl. "Here, have a drink."

"Oh, I'm not sure," said Midnight. "I'm not old enough to drink."

"Oh, come on, Sparkly!" said the man next to her, a man with pale skin and green hair. "You've gone further than anyone in this pub could even have dreamed of! You deserve to treat yourself! Besides, life is meaningless if you aren't willing to bend the rules every now and then."

Midnight rolled her eyes playfully. "Oh, all right. But just this once!"

As she gulped down the cider, another patron, who was wearing a green and yellow coat, began to speak.

"So, Midnight Sparkle. What, pray tell, are you planning to do now?"

"Oh, that's easy," said Midnight. "I'm going to find out everything about this magic!"

"Well, that seems a bit boring," said a noseless man in black robes. "I mean, there are plenty of us here who understand magic quite well, you know. And none more so than me!"

"Oh, I'm aware of that," said Midnight. "But I'm trying to understand Equestrian magic."

"Isn't that in the other dimension?" asked the bartender. "How do you plan on getting there?"

"By ripping this dimension apart, of course!" Midnight answered with a huge smile.

For am moment, the other patrons burst into laughter. Midnight watched them as they did so, her smile never faltering. After a moment, however, the green-haired man stopped and stared at her, his eyes widening.

"Oh god, you're serious."

At that moment, the floor beneath them opened up, dropping every single person except for Midnight into Equestria.

"I did it first!" a metallic being with glowing red eyes yelled.


*10 seconds later, across the street*


"YAAAAAHHHHH!!!"

Rainbow Dash landed on top of a table, too stunned to care who had been sitting at it. She then shook herself out of her stupor and looked towards the window.

"Oh no! Twilight's gonna destroy everything!"

"Okay, first off, who's Twilight? And second, why are you on top of our table?"

Rainbow blinked, and turned towards the two strange figures who she had just landed in front of. The one who had spoken to her was wearing a suit that was mostly blue, with the exception of the red "S" on his chest, as well as his red cape and his red... underwear. His companion was wearing a black and gray suit with a stylized bat logo on his chest and belt.

"No time to explain!" she yelled. "We need to stop Twilight from destroying-"

"Whoa, calm down," said the blue-suit man. "How is this "Twilight" going to destroy-"

Before he could say any more, the buildings outside began to collapse into the cracks that were now overtaking the whole city.

"Oh."

"Yeah!" said Rainbow. "I thought Sunset would be able to stop her, but she got vaporized! And none of us have any magic left, so there's no way we can-"

"Here, I have something for that."

Rainbow looked back at the black-masked man, who was pulling something out of his belt. She raised an eyebrow as he handed her a blue feather.

"Um, thanks?" she said as she grabbed the feather. "But I don't see how this is going to-"

Suddenly, she felt a surge of energy overtake her. She then felt a familiar sensation as her hair and ears began to grow and wings sprouted from her back.

"Aw yeah!" she said with a grin. "Now that's what I'm talking about!"

With a fierce determination in her eyes, she sped off into the sky as more of the city began to collapse. The man in the blue suit watched her fly away in shock, before turning back to his companion.

"Dare I ask why you had a pegasus feather in your utility belt?"

"Because I'm Batman!!!"

The blue suited man groaned and leaned back in his chair. He then looked out the window, only to gasp as he saw a familiar rainbow streak pass by the window again... and again... and again.

"Is she trying to..."

"She is."


*1 week earlier*


"As I was saying, Twilight Sparkle, I have plenty of influence over-"

Twilight grimaced as her Principal droned on about how she could easily convince the school board to approve her application to Everton... or deny it. Her entire future now hanged in the balance, and the only way she could ensure she got what she wanted was by doing exactly what Cinch told her to do.

...Or, it would have been that way, were it not for a certain high-speed rainbow projectile bursting in at that precise moment and socking Cinch in the face.

"Hah! Take that, Principal A-bore-cus Witch!"

Still shocked by the sudden assault on her principal, it took Twilight a moment to realize that someone was now there with her. As she turned around, she gasped as she saw a rainbow-haired girl with birdlike wings and horse ears looking at her. Even more surprising was the friendly smile and outstretched hand the girl was giving her.

"Hi, I'm Rainbow Dash. Wanna be friends?"

Twilight stared at the girl, unsure of what to do. She had never really considered the possibility of making friends, partly due to her shy nature, and partly due to the selfish nature of most students at Crystal Prep. However, the girl in front of her had not only saved her from Cinch's blackmail, but had apparently done so solely out of the goodness of her heart.

And maybe a little bit of a desire to punch Cinch in the face. Everyone had that.

Slowly, Twilight extended her own hand and grabbed Rainbow's. A small smile formed on her face.

"I think I'd like that."

PreviousChapters Next