• Published 16th Dec 2013
  • 3,270 Views, 104 Comments

Taming the Storm - Wolfie 03



Storms can be both of the physical and mental kinds, both hazardist in their own ways. Rainbow Dash has dealt with the physical kinds, but she is unprepared for the other kind; luckily she has ponies who are willing to help.

  • ...
6
 104
 3,270

X (All)- A New Home

March 5th, 1005 A.D. (After Discord)

A trio of fillies exited a two story house, stretching sleepy limbs and blinking in the early morning light. Winter Wrap-Up occurred only a few days before, leaving a crisp feel to the morning air. Their fur rose slightly in the softly blowing wind as they began to walk aimlessly in the friendly town.

The foals of the town were on spring break, giving them a chance to enjoy the warm weather and all the new greenery on the local plant life. This left the three of friends running out of other things to do, still confined to the town and knowing they couldn't do anything too adventurous least they get into trouble once more.

As Sweetie Belle rubbed at her tired eyes, Scootaloo stared disinterestedly at the ground, scuffing a hoof every so often. Apple Bloom glanced between the two before trying to sound chipper and upbeat, catching their attention once more.

“That was ah great sleepover! Y'all want tah come tah the clubhouse for the next one?” Apple Bloom tried to smile enticingly only for it to fade slightly at the roll of purple eyes and a groan from the other filly.

“I don't know Apple Bloom, I'm not sure how much more, uhm, 'fun', I can handle...” Sweetie Belle slumped as she walked, weariness weighing at her hooves. While it was true that the young earth pony tried to cram as much fun and games into each sleepover, the young unicorn was worn out from constantly being on edge. Every touch, movement and even sound from the orange pegasus constantly commanded Sweetie Belle’s attention; any actual touch they shared gave the gray-white filly a shock that turned into a warm imprint afterwards, leaving her dazed and unfocused. It happened at every sleepover and every moment they hung out together, leaving her little time to rest and recover from it.

“Yeah, I know you guys wanted me to stay out of the cold and all, but it's spring time now. You don't have to have sleepovers all the time.” Scootaloo snorted briefly as she continued to sweep the surroundings with watchful eyes; old habits were hard to break after all.

“Yeah right, ya got pretty bad hidin' places Scootaloo. If we didn't check on ya, you'd be sleepin' under bridges again.” The olive-yellow filly dropped all pretenses and stared intently at the pegasus who stopped in her tracks at the accusation.

“I don't stay under bridges! Those were emergency hiding places only; besides, I learned from last time. I won't be hiding in wet places if I can help it.” The orange filly watched the bow-topped filly stare back in stubbornness, not noticing how Sweetie Belle flinched at the reminder and ground her right hoof into the ground before straightening with determination.

“Well then, show us!” Both of the more stubborn fillies looked to the pale-gray filly in surprise, not used to hearing such a strong and iron tone from her.

“Show you?” Scootaloo raised surprised brows, unease rippling through her at the suggestion. The more ponies who knew the various locations, the more likely she would be tracked down.

“Yes. If these hideouts are so good, then show us.” Sweetie Belle stepped around Apple Bloom who looked appreciative of the suggestion to stand before the pegasus. Scootaloo glanced between her two friends and saw determination in both sets of eyes; giving a small resigned sigh, the young speedster rolled her whole head along with her eyes as she agreed.

“Alright, alright. Come on, they're a bit of a walk.” Scootaloo waved her friends forward and led the way through town, weaving through the slowly filling streets.

The three friends seemed to meander around, doubling back and forth before finding themselves among the few small warehouses on the edge of town. The train would place cargo needed for delivery in the spaces provided before continuing on its way. The two fillies hadn't visited this area very much since they had little to do with this part of town. They rounded the corner and found a large tree growing next to one of the single floored buildings. A hole among it's roots revealed a stash consisting of a single thin blanket as well as a bundle of food, waiting for use.

Sensing the growing tension, Scootaloo waved away their concerns as she tried to assure them that it wasn't as bad as they thought.

“Guys, relax. It's small because I have more of the stuff at one of the other hideouts and I've been lugging around my best blanket for the sleepovers, remember?” The orange filly tried to smirk at the other Crusaders only to be met with wide eyes of the earth pony and a concerned wince from the unicorn.

“Ya mean that raggedy ol’ sheet that Ah’ve seen ya shiverin’ under? That’s yer best blanket?” Apple Bloom stared disbelievingly to the young pegasus as the image of the matted and torn felt blanket flashed in their minds. Sweetie Belle shut her eyes against the image, despair rushing through her as she thought back to how both Apple Bloom and herself had much warmer ones that they tried to share. Scootaloo wouldn’t accept it however, stating that she was fine with what she had.

Apple Bloom's mind, however, had stopped at the thought that the worn out blanket was the best Scootaloo had to keep her warm and only just started to buzz with frantic and ever growing far fetched ideas. The promise she made herself to keep her friends safe rang once more through her mind, prompting her to step forward and question the now slightly nervous pegasus.

“Where are yer other hideouts Scoots? Do ya sleep in this here tree?” The olive-yellow filly frowned as she nodded towards the large oak only to glance back and find Scootaloo shaking her head.

“No, I usually sneak inside this warehouse just at the day's end and find a new place to sleep considering what's inside... Can't we just go and do something else? I showed you one of my hideouts...” Orange ears tipped back in anxiety, knowing that if she showed any of the other locations her friends would never let her go back. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle picked up on this anxiety and leaned forward with determined frowns.

“Show us the others please.” Sweetie Belle didn't raise her voice as she made her firm request, heart clenching at the suddenly drooping filly.

“Alright...” Scootaloo ran her mind over some of the remaining locations and chose the nearest one, a place in the forest nearby.


Whitetail Woods had spread to cover most of the western part of Ponyville's edge, giving ample hiding places for fillies on the run. The trio exited the warehouse area and trotted along the edge of town, keeping a watchful eye out for anypony who would question their intent.

The Crusaders were heading into the forest with Scootaloo leading the way, glancing around each tree and not seeing the uneasy glances shared by the others behind her.

“...Scootaloo, do ya live in the forest too?” As Apple Bloom broke the silence, a single orange ear flicking back at the question while they continued to walk.

“It's not that bad... Here, see?” Scootaloo stepped out into a small clearing where the trees were slightly more apart with two large boulders making a small cave-like structure. The maple tree closest to it also had a hole dug in between its roots, where more food and blankets awaited. “It's not so bad, lots of protection from wind and rain and stuff...” The orange pegasus trailed off at the unimpressed gazes of her two friends and sat in a huff, knowing that the display didn't assure any of their fears.

Apple Bloom frowned and stepped forward with a wave of her hoof to the cave.

“Scootaloo, this ain't good! Ya don't need these kinds of hideouts!” The farm earth pony was hurt that Scootaloo still felt the need for these kinds of rough hideouts and tried to make her see reason.

Sweetie Belle, however, watched the pegasus in a slight daze as the sun drifted down and shined on her. The image of the orange pegasus was starting to be overridden by another sight, one that stole her breath as it formed in her mind's eye.

“Well, I just want to make sure I've got places to go just in case one or two of them are found.”

The boulder in the center of the clearing was covered with snow, the wind whipping the excess rapidly through the air.

“Ya know ya can stay at the clubhouse!”

The ground was slowly piling high with the white flakes, the skies dark with clouds heavy with precipitation. The trees bare of their leaves and covered with snow as it continued non-stop, coming down in large heavy flakes.

“But I don't want to keep bothering you and your family.”

Barely covered by the large boulder lay a filly who couldn't seem to keep warm, the threadbare blanket covering her doing little to help as she shivered in the storm. The orange coat stood out against the white, though it didn't seem to matter as the snow continued to climb, covering her.

“Ah could have made ya ah place tah stay!”

The small filly shivered further before a strong hacking cough racked her frame, leaving her out of breath and weaken, slumping further into the ground to disappear from sight. This latest image jerked the light-gray filly from her vision to the actual scene before her, where the two other fillies stood snout to snout as they 'discussed'.

“You wouldn't be able just make a house Apple Bloom, that takes a lot of bits and time and stuff! Look, I'll be fine with what I have, I've made due before and I can do it again!” Scootaloo stomped a hoof as she tried to make her stubborn friend understand, houses and proper homes were not easy to get or make.

This phrase was the last straw for the young unicorn who took a shuddering breath, her inner turmoil having gone unnoticed as the two more stubborn fillies butted heads. With one last wince at how her chest constricted at the thought of the pegasus enduring more harsh weather, Sweetie Belle turned from the clearing and ran back to town with her head hung low.

The sudden departure drew the attention of the two more aggressive fillies, drawing a concerned frown from the pink bowed filly while the scooter rider felt a small pinch in her chest at the dejected form fleeing back to town. The young farmer half-growled at how she was once again losing the ability to keep her friends from being hurt and turned back to Scootaloo to point with a sharp hoof towards the makeshift home.

“Yer gettin' all yer stuff an' goin' to the clubhouse. Ah'll make ya ah place tah stay if Ah need to, but one of mah best friends is NOT goin' to stay in places like this. All it does is make me an' Sweetie worry for ya, an' it's gonnah stop. Ah'll see ya in two hours, right?” Apple Bloom gave one last firm glance to the pegasus before chasing after the young unicorn. Scootaloo sighed before starting to comply with the demand, not willing to hurt her friends anymore even if it meant accepting charity for a short time at least.


A blue-gray pegasus soared the skies, almost done with her mail route for the day. Derpy Hooves was enjoying the spring air as she flew, taking deep breaths as she headed for her next stop, a small cottage on the edge of town near the Everfree Forest. As she dipped downward, it was to her surprise to find that she wasn't the only visitor Fluttershy had over so early in the morning; her and Rainbow Dash were traveling around the outside of the cottage, welcoming back all the animals who returned after Winter Wrap-Up.

Rainbow was hovering over the timid mare, laying on her back as she bemoaned of how it didn't make sense to go and check with every animal just after they got back. Every so often she would look over and give a challenging glare to the white rabbit that followed his owner around, something that went unnoticed by the animal care-taker.

“I'm sorry Rainbow... I know you wanted to show me some more tricks, but I have to be sure everyone has a nice home to come back to...” Fluttershy glanced over to the cyan mare only to find her rolling her eyes as she waved a dismissive hoof.

“Yeah, yeah...”

“I am grateful that you visited me so much during the winter... It was pretty lonely without all my animal friends there.” The canary mare wore a light blush as she thanked her best friend, not seeing the shrug and shifting of the other mare at these words.

“Yeah, well, I was just doing my rounds and all that...” Rainbow shifted further as she hovered and prepared to take off, not entirely comfortable with where the topic was going. She didn't want to think of why she was so pleased to hear that Fluttershy was happy about her visits and was about to go when a small cough redirected both of the pegasi's attention to the mailmare waiting by the mailbox.

“Hello! I was just about to head over to your place Rainbow Dash to deliver a letter, if you don't mind me just hoofing it over now?” Derpy stepped forward with a small smile that was met with a timid one and a more shaky smirk. Rainbow wasn't sure if the blue-gray mare had heard them or not and was prepared to deny any and all accusations, being slightly on guard as she accepted the large envelop as Fluttershy received a smaller one.

While Derpy was not normally a nosy mare when it came to other ponies' mail, she recognized the type of seal that resided on Dash's letter and wanted to know if it was good or bad news this time. Both pegasi opened their letters, with Fluttershy quickly checking over the items sent by the Mayor and tucking it in her wing out of the way and turning towards the cyan pegasus who continued to read.

“Rainbow...?” Fluttershy took a hesitant step closer to the other pegasus who snorted angrily and put down the letter, annoyed eyes drifting across Derpy to rest instead on the canary mare at her side.

“Those courts in Manehatten are getting annoying, they just keep wanting more and more! Ugh. Now they are sending someone to check on where Scootaloo is living to 'make sure everything is up to standards'. It's hard to leave the squirt alone to live how she wants when I keep getting these letters that make me have to bug her!” Dash frowned down at the letter, not seeing the bewildered glances shared by the others before they focused once more on the brash pegasus.

“Rainbow... Part of taking care of others is being sure they have a nice place to stay...”

“Yeah, when I adopted Dinky they sent someone over to be sure I could provide the best living environment for her. I'm surprised they waited a few weeks to do this actually.” Derpy tried to keep her voice neutral, knowing that the rainbow maned pegasus wasn't used to having to care for a filly and didn't want to sound reprimanding.

“Urggghh... Fine, let's say I go and bug Scoot one last time about all this paperwork shmaperwork. She's still using hideouts last I heard, none of those would pass this stupid rule thing.” Rainbow waved a hoof in the general direction of Ponyville, unsure of where exactly the hideouts were. Fluttershy shook her head no, causing her mane to cover her face partially as she suggested a possible solution.

“Could...could she live with you?” A rainbow mane flopped back and forth as the brash pegasus shook her head at the question.

“I don't know... The kid's a pegasus, but she's still a weak flier; she'd have trouble getting to my place all the time...” The cyan pegasus became distracted at this latest thought, mind drifting to how the young pegasus would need a personal trainer at this rate to be able to fly properly. With a sudden jerk of her head, Rainbow came back to her surroundings in time to hear Derpy's suggestion.

“Then you may want to look for a place on the ground... I've seen a nice little house near here that's been empty for a while now; perhaps that would work?” A blue-gray wing pointed down the road, drawing the timid mare's curiosity while gaining the other's ire.

“Sure, but I can't really afford to have two places!” Dash frowned thoughtfully in the direction of town, while Fluttershy quietly spoke up.

“Uhm, I could help pay if-if you need it...” The two other pegasi quickly looked to the shier one, causing her to flinch back slightly before trying to speak up once more.

“I'm paid by the town to help with the local animals, and I've actually saved up bits just in case of emergencies... I could help pay for a place on the ground for Scootaloo to live in...” As Dash was about to respond to the offer, Derpy also stepped forth with a thoughtful frown of her own.

“I could help as well; it may not be much, but if it means that Scootaloo wouldn't have to move away then it's worth it.” The blue-gray mailmare stood firm in her offer even as her mind began to whirl with calculations of how she could afford to help and still take care of her own family. Rainbow noticed the swirl of thought in gold-yellow eyes and waved a hoof, drawing everyone's attention back to her once again.

“Look, why don't we go and take a look at this place before you guys give up your life savings okay? Could you show us this place you saw Derpy?” Rainbow waved her hooves to stop the others from offering more than they were, starting to head down the path before the postal worker took the lead.

The three pegasi walked down the road silently, contemplating how to overcome the latest obstacle. Rainbow was annoyed at how things weren't easy and how yet again, she had to bother the orange filly once more. Every so often, the irked pegasus would grind her hoof into the ground as she reflected on how she and Scootaloo shared a common goal of wanting to live on their own terms, something that was growing increasingly hard to do with the court breathing down their necks. Fluttershy kept glancing towards the brash mare, anxious about whether or not Rainbow would be able to overcome this latest issue as she saw how aggravated the cyan mare was. Dash barely maintained a healthy lifestyle, the quieter mare wasn’t sure if she could provide the right kind of support for a growing filly on her own.

Before anypony could ponder on the trouble any longer, they found the single storied house with a sign in the yard proclaiming it for sale. Below the large lettering was a list of features the house had to offer; it had two small bedrooms, a kitchen, full bathroom and small living room making it ideal for a single or two ponies but not enough for a large family.

Since there wasn't anyone there to give the three mares a tour, they had to peer through the windows instead. Both Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were impressed with the location, not only for its small and easy maintainability but for it's location near the animal care-taker's cottage. It was only two blocks away, making it easy for either mare to check on the young pegasus if they needed.

Rainbow nodded her head once, pleased that this should satisfy the court's needs and give her more reason to hang out in this area of town, before turning to locate the seller. She was quick to notice that she had two other pegasi following her and frowned, seeing blue-gray wings twitch over saddlebags that still held other parcels to deliver.

“Derpy, don't you have more work to do? We got this, don't worry. If we need anything we'll let you know.” Rainbow kept her voice as neutral as possible while still being clipped at the same time, making sure that it would send the postal work on her way. She didn't bother to glance back to see how her words were received and stepped up the pace slightly. Derpy flicked back her ears briefly in worry before seeing that Dash didn't speak in anger and smiled with a nod.

“Alright, I'll see you guys later.” The mailmare took to the skies once more and began to make mental plans on how to still help without giving Rainbow or Scootaloo a chance to decline it. Fluttershy watched the yellow maned pegasus leave before turning back to her long time friend, finding that she still stared on ahead while keeping her brash swagger.

The timid mare wasn’t sure if she was going to be sent away as well and remained silent, watching with fear-tinted eyes. The speedster raked her gaze over the nervous form before turning and picking up her pace slightly without a word to the last pegasus. Fluttershy paused only for a moment before picking up her own pace, deciding that until Rainbow Dash shouted at her to leave, she wasn’t going to stop trying to help anyway she could.


Before the pair traveled more than a few blocks, Dash suddenly entered a building on their right that had a large vault sign hanging over the door. The timid mare was startled at the sudden destination and but realized that it was a good idea to withdraw her bits that she had saved away. Fluttershy hesitantly entered and saw the brash mare waiting impatiently at the end of a short line to withdraw, heading to stand just behind her. Another mare enters after her and just as the canary mare was finishing her last step, the blue earth pony cut in front of her, drawing a small gasp of shock. Rainbow Dash, her attention already wandering as she stood bored, heard the noise and looked back in time to see Fluttershy try to say how she was ahead of the other mare only to be cut off with a snarky remark.

“Uh-uhm, excuse me? I was here first if you could-”

“Didn’t see you, wait in line properly.” The snide tone coupled with the frightened eep caused Dash to lash out, the act plucking her final nerve.

“Oy! She was ahead of you, so don’t cut in line!” The protective pegasus wasted no time getting into the offending mare’s space with a snarl on her muzzle, making the blue earth pony flinch and timidly nod consent.

With a relieved sigh Fluttershy trotted back into place and smiled briefly at Dash who only nodded back before turning to face forward once more. The timid pegasus sighed once more, reflecting on how she was always being helped by the bold mare and was still unable to properly give her thanks.

(She’s always been there for me and I never seem to able to properly thank her… I’m just too shy and quiet to be heard… Reduced to nuzzles that only seem to annoy Dashie… Oh Fluttershy, you’re such a pushover...)

Fluttershy just stood up squarely only to be in time for the pony at the desk to call out ‘next!’, causing her to shrink back just as quickly since she was next in line. Noticing cerise eyes roll at her reaction, the shy pegasus took tentative steps up to the counter and requested her entire account, unsure of how much she would need to help.

Once she also had a bag in hoof, Fluttershy tried to hurry over to where Rainbow was waiting impatiently and tried not to stare inappropriately at the smaller sized bag the cyan pegasus held onto.

“You done Fluttershy?” Rainbow barely waited for the agreeing nod before exiting just as quickly as she entered, wanting to get the ordeal over with before it consumed her entire day.


The two friends remained silent for the rest of the short trip, one not wanting to upset the other and the other uneasy about how much trouble getting the house would be in the end. Luckily they found their target, a stallion named Reel Estate, rather quickly and were soon able to get down to business. It was a tricky operation, one that required cunning and wit as well as a savvy knowledge of real estate; while Fluttershy was a pushover, she had the most brash mare in Ponyville with her who was more than able to strike a bargain.

The two argued for five minutes about the condition and quality of the location in correlation of the price, something Dash didn't mind doing since it gave her the chance to take her frustration out on something other than clouds. All this walking and talking with others wasn't in the brash mare's nature, and fighting about something as normal as a house helped her more than she thought. By the time they came to a compromise of 15,000 bits, it was about noon and both parties were growing hungry.

As Reel Estate drew up the papers, Rainbow signaled for Fluttershy to step back with her. The canary mare complied with slight bewilderment, not sure why they were suddenly leaning close together and whispering but was willing to do anything to help.

“Fluttershy, I don't actually have 15,000 bits...” Dash rubbed the back of her head, uneasy at having to ask her friend for bits; in the past Rainbow was usually the one helping Fluttershy pay for things, taking over and paying for things even without Fluttershy knowing or able to decline the offer. It didn't feel right to ask the animal care-taker that kind of favor, but the shy pegasus was more than happy to help in such a way. She saw it as both a chance to show her thanks for all that occurred in the past and as a way to help give Scootaloo a future.

“That's ok Dashie, I did say I was willing to help pay. How much do you have? Then I'll pay the rest.” The cream-yellow pegasus smiled softly at the brash mare who sighed at the question before pulling forth her bit bag.

“...I have about 5,000... Sorry about this Fluttershy.” The prismatic mare slouched in place before she jerked up at the feel of a comforting nuzzle from the mare beside her, causing her feathers to ruffle and to suddenly feel unsure about what was going on. Fluttershy expected this kind of reaction and didn't allow it to hurt her too much as Rainbow backed up a few paces, instead nodding as though nothing happened.

“It's ok; let's get this all settled and I'll make you lunch. We'll have to find a way to get furniture soon too; when did that letter say they were going to send someone to check on the living conditions?” The shy pegasus lead the way back to the desk where the papers awaited them as Rainbow checked the letter once more. As Fluttershy signed as the principal owner (since she was paying over two thirds of the cost), Dash read the date aloud.

“According to this, they're coming by in three days. So we have to get this paperwork done, find Scoot and tell her, find stuff to put in it and make it look nice for these guys in three days.... Urggghhh...” Rainbow allowed her head to drop as she moaned, her nap plans already being set aside in order to be a proper guardian. At the timid nudge, she looked up to find that they were now just waiting for her signature and portion of the payment. With a gusty sigh at the loss of bits, Rainbow pushed the sack over with a wing while signing with her mouth.

Once it was complete, they all shook hooves before Reel hoofed over the keys to the small house and offered them luck with the new residence. Seeing how annoyed the impatient pegasus was at all the talking and dealings, Fluttershy then escorted Rainbow back to her cottage for a proper lunch. Angel and Dash had soon learned not to fight in view of the quiet mare and tried to act properly any time she looked over, before switching back to furious battles of wills that they both enjoyed for the fact that there wasn't as many others who could and would do those kinds of almost foalish fights.

After all the animals had been fed and the brash mare wasn't as grumpy, they went in search of the orange filly for whom it was all being done for. Knowing that it was spring break for the kids of the town, they decided to start their search by the clubhouse, hoping to catch them before they started any crusading for the day.


Sweetie Belle was on the verge of hyperventilation with pale-gray hooves striking the earth rapidly as she ran through the woods. Tears stung at the corners of her eyes, a result of both the fear and of frustration, not knowing why it hurt so much compared to all their other adventures when something could have happened to any of them. She didn't pay close attention to her surroundings, only to swerve away from trees and get further away from the hideout they had been shown. For a while, the only sounds she heard was that of her own hoofsteps as she raced across the land and the wind blowing through the trees as she whizzed past.

Soon though, a different sound began to draw her attention; another set of hooves were coming up from behind her quickly and due to the lack of a certain buzz of tiny wings, Sweetie Belle could guess as to who it was. Holding back the wince at knowing that it wasn't a certain dark-cerise maned pegasus, the unicorn glanced to the side and saw her friend also out of breath.

“Hey Sweetie Belle! Ah told Scootaloo tah get her stuff an' meet us at the clubhouse; we ain't leaving her in those kinds of places!” Apple Bloom panted as her brows were furrowed in thought, plans on how to make the pegasus a place to stay running through her mind.

Sweetie Belle remained silent, the pain in her chest preventing most speech while they ran. The earth pony took this as a sign to elaborate and scrunched her muzzle as she confessed to having very little plans currently.

“Well, Ah don't really know how or where we'd get all the stuff tah make ah proper home for her, but we'll figure somethin' out... Let's head tah the clubhouse, maybe there's somethin' in the attic we can use.” The olive-yellow filly took the lead, showing off her stronger endurance as they continued to run.

They remained quiet as they traveled, each lost in her own thoughts. Sweetie Belle took this chance to observe the other Crusader, finding evidence of concern for their mutual friend but no signs of any racking or debilitating pain that she herself felt. Though that may have been because of the earth pony's natural strength, masking or even lessening the pain.

As they rounded the last bend before the farm, they noticed two spots of flying colors that seemed to be heading in the same direction. The girls didn't slow nor pause in their running, having no extra breath to shout for attention. As they ran to their tree house, the specks of color slowly grew in size to reveal two well known pegasi winging their way over the orchard. Unsure of why Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were in the area, the girls continued on their path unless either pegasi showed a need to talk with them. This was proven to be a correct assumption as the two pegasi flew in the direction of the clubhouse until the canary mare heard the sounds of hooffalls and glanced back.

Seeing the two Crusaders, Fluttershy called gently for Rainbow's attention and both mares dropped down to land just in front of the girls who slid to a halt, making a small dust cloud rise in their wake.

“Hey Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash... Are ya lookin' for mah sister? I think she's in the fields, workin'.” Apple Bloom stated between pants as she stood next to Sweetie Belle who rubbed a hoof on her chest as she panted for breath as well.

“Nah, we're looking for you guys. Where's Scootaloo?” Rainbow glanced behind the two friends, wondering if she was trailing behind them only to find a dark suspicious glare cast her way from the olive-yellow filly while the light-gray one found herself crouching slightly with a cringe.

It seemed that Dash only ever had bad news for the young pegasus and Apple Bloom wasn't sure if she should tell the older ponies about what was going on. Sweetie Belle, however, found that the tight feeling in her chest didn't go away even after getting her breath back and found herself growing sick with worry and mind growing fuzzy at the potential bad news.

“We wanted to talk with her about maybe getting a place for her to live...” Fluttershy had seen the sudden changes in the fillies in front of them and tried to reassure them that it was nothing bad.

Apple Bloom didn't know how helpful the two mares would be, finding a house would take a while and cost a lot of bits; she had already started to make plans to build another clubhouse-like building near the edge of the orchard for Scootaloo. The unicorn had tensed at the mention of a proper place to stay and trembled for a moment before finding herself rapidly explaining what they had discovered.

“Scootaloo's been living in forests and other bad and cold places and won't accept our help but she could get hurt again! You've got to help!” The older mares could barely understand what was said as Sweetie Belle hadn't taken a breath during her explanation and when she finished they found they weren't all that surprised at how things had gotten once more. The earth pony however, watched the gray-white filly worriedly, recognizing her behavior of panic and fear that left trembling in place.

Rainbow Dash groaned as she face-hoofed, realizing that she was now faced with a growing problem that required her immediate attention. She shook her head briefly before lowering herself to prepare for take-off.

“Alright, we'll make sure things are better. Where's Scoot now?” Dash glanced towards the fillies for a moment, already plotting the fastest route to where the orange pegasus might have been.

“... She's gonnah come with all her stuff to the clubhouse in ah couple of hours.” Apple Bloom watched Sweetie Belle out of the corner of her eye as she answered the prismatic mare before focusing solely on Dash as she relaxed her stance briefly before nodding with a smirk.

“That works, thanks girls. I’ll come back later and I want you three to be ready to leave when I do, ok? Gotta dash!” With a half-shout and thrust of blue wings, Rainbow shot into the air and flew towards town. Fluttershy gave the two bewildered fillies a small smile before flying up to follow Dash, leaving the two Crusaders to wonder what was going on.

The earth pony gazed at her friend in concern, hoof rubbing the alabaster back as she sat closer. Sweetie Belle found that she couldn't really hold back her tremors and sat facing the ground, trying to find why she couldn't remain calm in all of this; something that Apple Bloom also wondered since she wasn't half as anxious as the unicorn filly.

“Sweetie Belle, what's wrong with ya? Are ya sick? Tired? Want tah go to the clubhouse an' rest for ah bit?” The olive-yellow earth pony tried to stare into green eyes only to find they avoided her attempts, rooting themselves firmly onto the ground.

Deciding that she wouldn't be able to trace the nervousness to its roots, Sweetie Belle instead focused on how the other filly was acting. Not finding trace of tremors, possible aches or flinches of sharp stabbing pains in the other's chest made the unicorn frown thoughtfully and check verbally to see if the signs were true.

“Aren't... Aren't you worried about what's going to happen now?” The light-gray unicorn stared intently at her friend, finding only a pensive look instead of a painful one like she could feel on her own muzzle.

“Sure Ah am, but Ah ain't gonnah get all worked up about it. We'll make sure it ain't gonnah happen again, that's all. Nothing tah cry about.” Apple Bloom finished her statement with a gentle hoof around the shivering shoulders as Sweetie Belle stared cross eyed in shock of finding her tears did indeed escape.

(Wh-why am I crying again?! And why is it that Apple Bloom seems so calm about what we found out?!? Doesn't she care about what happens to Scootaloo...?!) The gray-white unicorn took in a shuddering breath as she realized what she had implied, glancing to the side where a concerned face gazed back intently, orange eyes filled with worry and frustration at her inability to help. (How can I even say that!? Of course she cares for what happens to us! She was right there with me when we found out and feels the same about how it's not right... But why? Why do I constantly feel this pain?!)

Apple Bloom didn't notice any of this thought, only seeing the intense frustration of the other filly. As Sweetie Belle stomped a hoof in annoyance of her actions, the young farmer frowned further as she continued to rub soothingly.

(Why can't Ah help mah friends!? Ah don't even know why Sweetie Belle is this upset... Ah better do somethin' quick!)

“Sweetie Belle, could ya please tell me what's wrong? Are ya not feeling well?” Orange eyes stared, closely watching for any signs of this reaction getting worse or better. She was pleased to note that the shivering unicorn pulled herself together slightly with a deep breath.

“I'll-I'll be ok... Let's, uh, get back to the clubhouse...” Sweetie Belle tried to contain her nerves and began to trot back to the tree-house, trying to keep her head and tail from dragging along the ground in despair and fear.

They reached the tree-house easily and sat squarely in the center of the room, lost in their own thoughts of the day and what the older mares might be doing at this time. Even as Apple Bloom's eyes flicked around the room as various plans ran through her mind, resting every so often on the filly beside her who had once again become lost in her own mind as she found more images of the young pegasus in physical danger. Sweetie wasn't sure which was worse, waiting for Scootaloo to come back or the images her mind seemed more than willing to create that only served to confuse and scare her further. She only hoped that she would be able to figure out what was going on soon.


Rainbow didn't slow down this time for Fluttershy to keep up, soaring to her house to find any bits she may have tucked away or lost in her cloud home and subsequent mess that usually spread across the floor. She breezed over the piles of trash and objects, searching around the shelves and in her sparse closet, under her bed and even in the blankets thrown haphazardly around the room.

Fluttershy slowly crept through the wide open door, crouching low to the floor in nerves as the sound of rapid shuffling and throwing met her ears. She glanced to the ceiling as an annoyed moan rang through the house, leading her to step quietly up the stairs to locate the rainbow maned pegasus.

“Rainbow...?” Another groan sounded out and soon Fluttershy found her target glaring at her calendar on the wall; it was a Wonderbolt's edition that the timid mare had gotten her friend for their last birthday.

“Is...Is everything alright?” A cyan ear flicked back at the question as the shy mare slowly made her delicate way over the recently thrown objects.

“I don't have anything left! I don't get paid until five days from now, but that won't help; the squirt needs a place now and it has to be the right kind of cool.” A single hoof dug into the floor in irritation as cerise eyes tore themselves away from the calendar to stare at the ground. “Cloud furniture won't work, it'd make a regular house moldy...”

Fluttershy relaxed her worried stance at the reason for the anguish and was about to place a hoof onto a sky-blue shoulder when Dash straightened suddenly with a shout.

“Ah-ha! There it is!!” She dove for a far corner under her bed, having finally located the secret-emergency stash of bits. It had been partially buried in the clouds around it that helped prevent any unwanted visitors from finding the location, a measure she had learned the hard way when she was younger. The other pegasus watched from her place a few paces away, having been startled into leaping back at the sudden shout.

“Five... Seven... Ten... Thirteen... Seventeen. Not much, but I should be able to get a bed or something... Maybe a nice sofa.” Dash stood with determination burning in her eyes. While this meant that she would have to live on grass and maybe some wild flowers, Rainbow knew it was for a good cause and raced back down the stairs.

Fluttershy gave a start at this sudden movement and tried to hurry after her, floating down the stairs when she started to trip. She drew to a stop when she noticed a shifting Rainbow Dash at the doorway, hopping from right to left and back as she stared intently towards the staircase.

“Come on! We have to get to the bed store before they sell out of the good ones!” Rainbow didn't bother to hide her impatience as the other mare resumed her rushed flying.

“Uhm, I don't think we have to worry about that...” The cream-yellow mare barely got the words out before being swept up by strong blue hooves propelling her forward and out the door.

“No time to waste, let's go!” With a small meep at the force being used to propel them forward, the two mares shot down to the town below them and soon found themselves in front of the only store selling beds and parchment.

It was to the brash mare's great annoyance that there were no beds for sale under twenty-five bits and that one was ridiculously small and cramped. Rainbow stomped her way back out in short order with a mutter of how she was never going back to that place again and stood in the middle of the street, gaze unfocused. Fluttershy, having expected something like this, shyly stepped forward and sat near her friend.

“Uhmm, do-do you want to see what is in the new house before we try to fill it with furniture? May-maybe there's something there already...” The canary pegasus was tempted to nuzzle her long time friend but held back, knowing her reaction to such an act done in the middle of town would not be good. Instead she tried to peer into the cerise orbs that slowly focused on teal ones once more as their owner gave a half-hearted shrug.

“Yeah, I guess. Let's get going then.” Rainbow picked herself up from the middle of the street and decided to walk to the house, having been annoyed by the results of her efforts. It also felt good to stomp every other hoofstep as they went, a feat that is impossible to do in the sky.

Rainbow wasn't paying the closest attention to where she was going and was slightly surprised to find herself in front of the dark-blue door already. With nimble wings, she reached for the new key and opened the way for them to head inside. The two friends found that it was as impressive as they imagined considering it's size.

There was a living room that had half a wall dividing the kitchen from it, and two doors led from the main room, each being bedrooms that had no furnishings in them aside from a light attached to the ceiling. Finding the first three rooms they looked at empty of their contents, the two pegasi entered the kitchen next and found a third doorway that led to the bathroom. Both were furnished with the right appliances for both, though all were smaller in order to fit in the tinier home. The overall color theme ranged from pale-green to green-tinted cream colors. There was a window in every room with two in the living room and the kitchen hosted four small cabinets that hung from the walls and along the floor.

As the two pegasi walked through each room, Fluttershy tried to put a positive light on the situation, recognizing the dejected slump in blue shoulders.

“The-the kitchen has a very nice fridge, and plenty of space for dry goods and plates and-and things... O-oh, look! The bathroom has a little flower light and the bathtub has a shower attached, that is good... Uhm, it's not that bad...?” The quiet mare timidly glanced to her friend who rolled her head at Fluttershy’s attempts before standing straight once more. She had already started to come to terms that this guardianship stuff was harder than keeping some mean care-taker away, it was about time to get serious.

“Alright, so we know what's in here now. I'm going to head out, see if I can get some bits from somewhere. You head back and tell Scoots that, uh, we have a surprise for her and she should totally-” A sudden knock at the door prevented the bold mare from saying anymore, drawing both mare's attention at the sound. As a second set of knocking took place, Rainbow took a few curious steps closer to answer the door, finding herself take a surprised step back at the sight of a blue-gray pegasus with a clipboard in hoof.

“Oh good, you are here. I just need you to sign this please Rainbow Dash.” Derpy held out the board with several sheets of paper on it, listing what was being delivered. Dash however didn't immediately sign and instead started to scan the contents, growing more confused and agitated.

“Couch, chair, chair, bed, shelf-Derpy! What the hay is all this?! Where did you get it? Who the hay sent it?!” The cyan mare looked up with an angry frown, even as movers started to bring the various pieces of furniture into the structure. The other pegasus merely stayed neutral even as her heart rate spiked briefly.

“Oh, well, I-er, these were unneeded pieces of furniture and given to a good cause. Shipment was taken care of by a... a local charity. It's all, uh, rather complicated and-”

“Derpy, it says right here that you bought it and ordered it to be shipped...” Dash deadpanned the gold-yellow eyed mare who shrank slightly at having been caught in her attempt to help. Fluttershy decided to step outside as more stallions brought in the furniture and glanced curiously between the two as they continued to talk.

“I was able to find furniture that was used and unneeded and asked if I could take it for a good cause. I didn't say what it was for specifically but just that it was to help a filly who was getting a home for the first time...I just wanted to help...” The mailmare glanced to the side with flattened ears, knowing that Dash had said not to worry but unable to stop herself from trying anyways. The prismatic mare sighed heavily, the knowledge of a single mom helping out not sitting properly with her but it was too late to fight it since it had been done already.

“...Fine, but not a word when I pay you back. Scootaloo is my responsibility now, I have to mare up and try to do my part.” Rainbow watched shrewdly for a moment until seeing the nod of consent from the postal worker and looking to the ever shortening pile of furniture being brought in.

Once the last piece, a coffee table, was brought in, Rainbow Dash signed on the paperwork and waved goodbye to the postal workers who were quickly on their way. The two friends re-entered to find that the helpful stallions had placed the proper furniture in the corresponding rooms, though it had to be rearranged to fit. They spent the next half hour getting the house to look just right, with Dash doing most of the lifting.

As the last piece was shifted into place, the two pegasi took a step back to look at the results and found no issues with the layout. Derpy had managed to find two beds, two small shelves and a long shelf for the living room, a couch and sofa, a table small enough for the kitchen that could fit three around the circular sides and three mix-matched chairs to surround it. Dash glanced around momentarily before zipping out the front door, leaving the usual rainbow trail behind her as well as confused animal care-taker who had jumped slightly at the silent and sudden departure.


Before she could take a single step or utter a confused question, another flash of rainbow zoomed through the air into the room closest to the kitchen. Fluttershy raised a single brow at this mysterious behavior and trotted over to investigate what had Rainbow speeding all over the place.

Peeking inside the room, she found the usually brash mare setting up a couple of posters, depicting the wonders of the Wonderbolts and other amazing fliers. The canary mare recognized them as ones that usually hung inside a cloud home that hovered above Ponyville.

“Rainbow...? I thought that-”

“Well, the room needed some more awesome and what better way than having the Wonderbolts? Aside from me of course.” The cyan pegasus couldn't meet teal eyes as she tapped her fore-hooves together before standing properly once more and swiped at her mane, setting the bangs back into place after the rapid trip.

“Come on, we should go get the Crusaders and show them, the kid's going to be so surprised!” Dash smirked before taking wing, flying above the ground briefly before rising higher as she went towards Sweet Apple Acres with a slightly nervous cream-yellow pegasus trying to keep up behind her.


Back in the clubhouse, the trio of friends sat awkwardly in the center of their 'secret' base, no one meeting the others' eyes. Scootaloo had taken a while to gather all her things, and she still left some of her more remote locations stocked, just in case. This wasn't something her friends knew about and after considering Apple Bloom's recent behavior about it, Scootaloo wasn’t planning on telling them any time soon.

The orange pegasus had arrived to find an anxious pair waiting for her. She had thought that it was merely about her hideouts, but was soon informed that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy had been looking for her a few hours ago and that they were to wait in the clubhouse for their return. This caused the young pegasus to be conflicted; she was hopeful that it was nothing bad, but didn't trust life to take it easy on her anytime soon and didn't want to get her hopes up.

In the end, the three friends merely sat in uncomfortable silence, unease and worry lacing the air. After what felt like an eternity, there was a sudden thump on the porch of the clubhouse while a gruff voice called out.

“Hey, squirts! You in there?” Scootaloo recognized the voice of her idol any day and felt her heart lurch as she realized she wasn't sure if this visit was a good or bad thing.

“We-we're here Rainbow Dash!” The orange pegasus stood from her position on the floor as her friends did and faced the door where the cyan mare stood with Fluttershy looking over her shoulder.

“Hey guys, I got something really cool to show you. Do you have all your stuff Scootaloo?” Rainbow glanced behind the filly and was pleased to see the three saddlebags loaded down with objects. She stepped inside as Scootaloo nodded slowly and went to pick up the bags.

“Cool. Look, I'll carry the stuff and you three follow us, we have something to show you.” The three friends shared bewildered glances before trotting behind the older mares with quick steps. While Rainbow wanted to get there fast, she knew that the younger fillies would have a hard time keeping up and floated overhead instead with Fluttershy as they traveled back to town.


Scootaloo didn't like knowing that somepony else held onto her bags, making her twitchy and on edge. It made it harder for a runaway to make a quick getaway but the orange filly didn’t want to insult the mare she looked up to. Apple Bloom noticed this behavior and tried to help her buck up with a friendly smile and a small nudge that received an annoyed frown in return. The earth pony was surprised at the reaction but didn't bring it to attention, not wanting to involve the older mares into whatever was going on this time.

Sweetie Belle however, stood on the other side of Apple Bloom, trying to distance herself from the young pegasus least she finds her body betray her and give the edgy filly a hug or nuzzle. While she knew that Scootaloo was now more accepting of hugs and signs of feelings, the gray-white filly could tell that what she felt like doing (and for how long) was not something the tomcolt filly was willing to put up with. It wouldn't have been so bad if she felt the same way towards the earth pony that stood between them, but Sweetie Belle just didn't feel the same need to cuddle the young farmer. Something that only added to her confused state, making it so she remained silent for the trip and almost in a daze as they walked.

After traveling for fifteen tense minutes (not that the older pegasi noticed), the group reached their destination. As part of the surprise, Dash demand the fillies close their eyes and led them inside. Once they were in position, she gave the order for them to open their eyes with a smirk, sure that they would be amazed and excited. The girls, not fully understanding what they were seeing, glanced about the room in silent wonder much to the amusement of the older mares. Rainbow and Fluttershy watched with gleeful smiles that faded slightly at the continued silence from the trio. The brash mare stepped forward and leaned to closer to the girls, drawing their attention back from the room around them.

“You do realize what this is right Scoots?” Three brows rose at this, unsure of the vague question. Rainbow watched for a moment longer until she found three confused head shakes, causing her to sigh and walk over to the room she had started to set up as Scootaloo's. The Crusaders followed quietly, bewilderment showing in their every step only to fade slightly when they stepped into the room behind the older pegasus.

“Fluttershy and I got this house so you wouldn't have to live in hideouts anymore squirt. This is your room, uh, unless you want the other one?” Dash suddenly realized how very commanding she sounded and tried to make it seem more like a choice, though she was willing to enforce the issue if she had to. Aside from getting a letter from the courts in Manehatten, she would have wanted to be sure the young pegasus was staying someplace that was safe and warm anyways.

Scootaloo frowned at this, not liking how everyone seemed to want to get into her business about where she was staying at night. Apple Bloom, on the other hoof, was ecstatic and cheered up immensely, turning to smile at the orange filly only to frown when she noticed the drawn face.

“Why does everypony want to know where I'm staying?! I don't need charity, I was doing fine with finding places to stay on my own.” Scootaloo huffed as she crossed her hooves, noticing the amused smirk on her hero's face and wondered if she should take further offense to it. Rainbow scuffed her dark-cerise mane with a chuckle, having already guessed that that was going to be her response; just like how Dash would have said back when she was a filly.

“We just want to make sure you have a good place to stay. If it makes you feel any better, this place didn't come cheap and you'll need to help pay for it.” An orange hoof waved off the blue one from it's actions while Scootaloo frowned wonderingly at the words.

As Rainbow smirked at the slight curiosity she had aroused in the young filly, she noticed the worried frown of the timid mare from the doorway at the mention of Scootaloo needing to pay for it. Interpreting the look correctly, Dash waved a reassuring hoof and smirked a little wider before answering both pegasi’s curiosity.

“Now, I'm not expecting you to hoof over 15,000 bits but we will need you to work off the cost. You'd have to do the chores around the house for one; Fluttershy would need help taking care of her animals too, since she helped the most.” Rainbow tried to pose the statement in a half-question to the other mare who smiled back with a gentle nod of agreement to the plan.

“Right, so you have to help Fluttershy at her cottage a couple a days a week and do all the work around here too. Did, uh, did you want somepony to stay here with you? I mean, there is a second bedroom and all that...” The usually bold mare found herself scuffing a hoof along the ground as she tried to appear nonchalant about the topic. She didn't want to appear overbearing but could feel the hard teal eyes resting on her, almost demanding that she offer to stay with the young filly.

Scootaloo flushed at the offer and shook her head rapidly in embarrassment. She hadn't expected Dash to offer such a thing and wasn't sure what to say, never had so many trying to help.

“Oh, uh, no, no I-I should be fine on my own. I guess that I should be able to do that kind thing to pay for the house...” Scootaloo couldn't bring herself to look Rainbow in the eye and stared at the floor. The cyan mare gave the orange filly another mane-mussing before stepping around the trio of friends to stand next to the other older pegasus.

“Come on, let's get out of here; they'll be ok. I have to get to work.” Dash nodded towards the door to which earned a confused frown from the canary mare.

“O-oh? I thought you were done with work today... Should we buy groceries for Scootaloo?” Fluttershy glanced back and found the three friends remained in the bedroom while the older pegasi started to exit the home.

“Hey Scoots?! The keys to the house are going to be here on the table alright?” Seeing the acknowledging nod, Rainbow turned her attention back to the mare next to her. “I'm going to pick up more shifts at the weather factory, so uh...” A blue hoof ran through the multi-hued mane as Dash stared off the side, much to Fluttershy's worry and concern. Teal eyes took in the form beside her and pondered about what she may have said that would cause such a distracted gaze; realization struck and Fluttershy gave a small understanding smile.

“I can get the food for Scootaloo while you’re gone... Are you going to be ok?” The canary pegasus checked her friend's embarrassed face which had a light blush across it. Rainbow nodded mutely before looking guiltily to the other mare.

“I'll pay ya back 'Shy, promise. I just, wasn't expecting to have to pay so much at once...” Rainbow felt bad for having to rely on her closest friend for all this financial issue. Fluttershy smiled to try reassure the guilt ridden mare and gave her a brief nuzzle along her neck. The brash pegasus jerked back slightly at the touch and blushed heavily as she glanced around the street, worried that someone may have seen the sappy moment. The shyer mare noticed this action and laid her ears flat against her skull, recognizing that she may be pushing it with the nuzzles even as she hoped that Rainbow would eventually overcome her distaste of ‘sappy’ moments.

“It's ok Dashie, I know you will. I don't mind helping at all. If you have time, I'll make sure to cook something for you and Scootaloo if you can stop by before going to bed.” Fluttershy gently smiled, which grew at the tiny nod from the brash mare before they went their separate ways. As Rainbow took to the skies once more, the timid mare found that she didn't want to just suddenly leave the orange filly not knowing what was going on and returned inside only to find the three friends still in the same place as before, silent and tense.

“Uhm, Scootaloo? I'm going to stop by the marketplace to help stock the fridge, would you like anything in particular for supper?” Fluttershy frowned worriedly at the trio only to smile instead at the flustered face of the young pegasus who was dumbfounded by the offer. Scootaloo tore her gaze from the ground and rubbed the back of her head as she answered.

“Uh, no, it's fine. I mean, uh, you-you don't have to do that! I have some bits saved up, I could go and get my own stuff and uh-”

“No no, it's ok. You've had a long and tiring day I'm sure, you should get settled before starting on uhm, your chores. You girls should have fun since it's the first day here and everything...” The canary pegasus smiled gently at the trio before leaving once more, deftly running through the numbers and calculating how much she had left to use for the supplies.


As the older mare finally left, Scootaloo turned to her friends who hadn't moved from their place with a slight frown. It hadn't sunk in yet and the orange filly was in a daze, having her own home didn't feel real to her yet. Before she could contemplate on it further, Apple Bloom spoke up with a small grin.

“Well! At least now ya got a place tah stay! An' it's ah mighty fine one too, big rooms, lots of sunshine, bed looks mighty comfy.” The earth pony stood to give the bed a testing shove and turned back to her friend with a growing smile. “Now ya won't have tah stay in them hidin' places!”

Scootaloo had jerked back to her surroundings as Apple Bloom spoke and found herself irritated with the olive-yellow filly. She considered shrugging it off and not stating her irritation but flashed on the last incident where she promised not to keep things bottled up any more. Both of the other Crusaders noticed this annoyance and took shallow breaths, unsure of what the problem was this time.

“You want me to say what I feel Apple Bloom?” The orange filly frowned towards the earth pony who nodded slowly as she responded.

“We both do, it ain't good tah keep it all inside...”

“Fine, I'll tell you how I feel. I'm grateful you guys want to help but I had been doing fine for a while now. And I really don't like having somepony come and just start telling me what to do, even if you were trying to help.” Scootaloo kept her voice as neutral as possible, not wanting to lash out when she knew her friends were just trying to help. Apple Bloom frowned and took a single step closer, only to freeze at the slightly harsher tones.

“Just, leave me alone. Please.” Three sets of ears tipped back at the clipped tone and the young farmer didn't try to argue otherwise. She only paused when she was even with the pegasus who stared firmly at the ground and gave her a swift hug.

“Sorry Scoots. Ah... Ah was just tryin' tah help.” Apple Bloom didn't wait for a response and continued on her way out. Sweetie Belle hadn't moved during this and it was only after hearing the muttered phrase did she move, stepping up to be next to the pegasus and gave her a brief hug as well.

“I-I'm glad you have a nice home now Scootaloo... I-we'll see you later.” Sweetie Belle was going to leave just as abruptly as the first Crusader but went still as she felt a single hoof sneak around to wrap her barrel with a light hug as well.

“It's just... a lot to take in. Tell Apple Bloom I'm not that mad, ok? I'll see you guys later.” Scootaloo stated this with her eyes closed, mind swirling with this latest development. Being distracted and disoriented, she didn't notice the fierce blush on the other filly's muzzle nor felt the brisk pace of her heart considering the orange filly's own heart was doing leaps and marathons as the latest change started to settle in her mind.

Sweetie Belle couldn't bring herself to speak and merely nodded a few times before pausing, realizing that she didn't want to let the other filly go. It was only as Scootaloo removed her hoof that the unicorn was able to force her body to back up, cracking a weak smile before rushing out of the room. As the light-gray filly tried to prevent herself from returning to embrace the pegasus, she found the last Crusader sitting outside of the single storied house with slumped shoulders and low hanging head as she berated herself for being so forceful with friends.

The unicorn stepped up quickly and gave her friend a hug, trying to help even as she felt deep down that it wasn't the same as hugging the pegasus. Forcing aside the thoughts of feeling the feathery appendages while hugging a certain filly, Sweetie Belle tried to focus on what she was currently doing and gave the earth pony a squeeze before stepping back.

“Scoot-Scootaloo said that she wasn't really mad and that... that she'll see us later.” The unicorn watched with a shaky smile as Apple Bloom stood a little straighter and nodded back.

“Alright. Ah guess Ah was pressin’ too much...”

“We both were worried about her...” Sweetie Belle nudged her friend with a sad smile that slowly dropped as she was soon the target of a concerned gaze and a comforting hoof on her shoulder.

“We were, but are ya goin' tah be ok? You were takin' this worse than me.” Apple Bloom watched with furrowed brows as Sweetie Belle frowned as she focused inward, wondering if they were indeed worrying at different levels for the orphan.

“What-what do you mean?” The pale-gray filly tried to keep her voice from cracking or wavering, something she wasn't sure she successful at.

“Sweetie Belle, yer were so nervous Ah thought Ah'd have tah make sure you got home alright.”

“Well, didn't-weren't you worried about Scootaloo too?”

“Sure Ah was, but ya were actin' like that time she shouted at us... Are ya sure-... Ya know what? Ah learned mah lesson; Ah ain't gonnah push mah friends tah find out what's wrong. Ya gonnah get home alright Sweetie Belle?” Apple Bloom stepped back from the nervous filly and tried to smile reassuringly, which was grudgingly returned.

“Yes, I'll be fine. I'll see you later Apple Bloom.” Sweetie Belle quickly turned in place and trotted with haste back to her own home, her mind racing with different thoughts and feelings. She tried to appear calm on the outside even as a storm swirled in her chest as she traveled.

(I guess that friends aren't supposed to feel this way at all... Apple Bloom wasn't so worried for Scootaloo that she almost freaked out. I can't even hug them the same, this isn't what a friend feels at all, I'm nearly sure now..... What am I going to do? Am I sick? Should-should I find somepony to help...? Why can't I stop thinking about Scootaloo all alone in that big house!?) At this last thought, the gray-white filly broke into a run, entering and climbing the stairs speedily before throwing herself on the bed. With her head under the pillow, the young unicorn gave to a small nod to her latest plan of action.

(I'll just act like nothing's different and-and maybe it will go away... Like a sickness; I just have to rest and keep going and it will go away on it's own...)


On the other side of town, an orange pegasus looked around her new abode in a stupor, still not quite believing that this was all true. She momentarily considered actually unpacking her things but wasn't sure she should. In the end, Scootaloo decide to unpack a portion of her things, some of the food she always carried around, a few blankets that were comfier than the others and a picture she had of her and her two best friends. It made the room feel more like it was hers but the nervous filly wasn't sure if she should unpack so much, knowing it would slow her down should she ever need to suddenly leave.

As the filly put away the dry goods she kept with her, a sudden knock on the door set her on edge and she glanced anxiously towards the door as she peered around the half-wall.

“Scootaloo...? It's me, Fluttershy; may I come in?” The quiet voice floated through the solid wood, assuring the young filly enough that she slowly stepped around the corner.

“O-oh, uhm, yeah, sure Fluttershy...” Once Scootaloo answered, the canary mare opened the door with a short glance at the lock that hadn't been closed before smiling at the timidly edging forward youth.

“Hello, have you unpacked your things?” The older mare trotted towards the kitchen and didn't notice the flinch that occurred at the mention of unpacking.

“Ye-yeah, I unpacked...” Scootaloo followed the older pegasus with heavy steps, worry still weighing her small frame.

Fluttershy opened the various cabinets and was disheartened to see the small amount of dry foods that had been put away. Nothing was in the upper cabinets and the older mare realized that due to her height, Scootaloo wouldn't be able to reach anything there. With this in mind, the animal care-taker placed the majority of the supplies in the lower drawers, pleased to have thought to bring some pots and pans to help with any cooking.

The cream-yellow mare noticed the heavy silence and glanced to the filly who watched with trepidation at the work. With a small frown, Fluttershy looked beyond the youngster and saw with a larger frown that there wasn't much in her new room. Once the last bit of food was put away, the older pegasus stepped around the younger one and glanced around the pale-green bedroom. Scootaloo could feel the worry ebbing from the other pony and flicked back her ears in unease.

“Uhm, do-do you have any other things Scootaloo? Is this all?” Fluttershy looked to the younger girl who shifted in place.

“Kind of, I travel light...” The orange filly could feel the probing eyes resting on her and felt compelled to go further. “I have more stuff at the clubhouse.”

“Oh, did you want help bringing it here?” The older pony tried to smile reassuringly only to falter slightly at the shake of a dark-cerise mane.

“Nah, I'll uh just leave them there.” Scootaloo couldn't meet teal eyes and started back towards the living room.

“Ok, if you say so. I think that Rainbow Dash will be stopping by for dinner tonight, would that be ok?” Fluttershy peered curiously at the young pegasus who perked up at the news that the bold mare would be coming back that evening. Scootaloo nodded timidly and sat in the center of the main room as she gazed around the room, trying to take in this latest development.


The rest of the evening was quiet as Fluttershy tried to set up the kitchen for the filly that would be staying there, leaving everything in easy reach while keeping it neat and organized. She was slowly becoming concerned as to whether or not Rainbow would be able to make it back for supper but as the clock (brought from her own home) struck seven, an uneven knock sounded at the door. Scootaloo perked up from her seat at the table where she had watched the graceful mare cook to rush towards the door, a gut feeling letting her know who was there.

“Hey Rainbow Dash!” A bright smile greeted the worn out flier who scuffed her mane while stepping forward.

“Hey Squirt, you all settled in?” Rainbow watched with tired eyes as the filly hesitated a moment before nodding, scuffing a hoof along the ground.

“Ye-yeah. It's, uh, a pretty nice place...” Scootaloo led the way to the kitchen where Fluttershy had gone back to cooking at the sound of who was at the door.

“Yep, and it's all yours... Though, we do have to discuss some things if, if you don't mind.” Dash winced at the stiffening form before trying to grin reassuringly. “Don't worry kid, it's nothing bad. I just want to be sure where we stand on this whole house thing.” The two pegasi sat at the table while the canary mare began to place various dishes in the middle.

“The courts want to make sure you have a nice place to live; it's why we got you this place. Uhm, you do like it, right?” Dash tore her gaze from the delicious food before them to look at the unsettled filly.

“Yeah! It-it is nice and all. I'm, uh, not used to living in my own place, that's all.” Rainbow relaxed her stance at the assurances before returning her gaze back to the center of the table, knowing that Fluttershy was paying close attention to the conversation and hoping she didn't goof it.

“Good. Uh, the court ponies are sending someone over to make sure though, in a couple of days actually. They would probably want to see you as well, to know that you're doing ok and like the place... If you could hang around on Friday afternoon?” Dash nervously watched the younger pegasus who had froze at the mention that someone would actually be coming to find her, even if it was for good reasons. Even as a trickle of nervous sweat tracked down her back, Scootaloo agreed to be there.

“You'd be there too right Rainbow Dash?”

“Sure thing Squirt, I wouldn't miss it. It'll be fine, you'll see.” The two pegasi shared a small grin before looking to the cream-yellow mare who took a seat as the final dish was placed. Two hearty thanks were given to the cook before they all settled into the meal.

After taking a large bite, Rainbow chewed quickly to pose her next question, realizing that just as she would be there for when the inquiry would happen, it was probably expected that she stay with the young filly.

“Hey, uh, Scoot? That pony who's going to stop by, he's probably going to see if I'm living here too.” Seeing the still figure across the table, Rainbow rushed on with a waving hoof. “I don't want to bug you too much kid, if you want to stay here on your own that's fine. We'd just have to convince the pony coming that I'm keeping a close watch on you and all that. I understand wanting to do your own thing, it's what I did as a filly too.”

Scootaloo lightly blushed, happy to hear that Rainbow understood and was willing to let her make her own way in the world. All the attention recently had been making her feel smothered and squished, hearing that she would be able to live and take care of herself once the inspection was over helped to relieve some of the new pressure.She found herself smiling back with a short nod, pleased with the offer.

“Alright Rainbow Dash, we'll make that pony think that you stay here all the time and I'll start to pay you guys back starting tomorrow.” The older mares grinned at the enthusiasm that was in the younger filly's voice once more before they all turned back to the meal before them.

While the two similar tomcolt pegasi tore through their meal, Fluttershy couldn’t help but watch with a small grin, pleased at what they had accomplished that day. She ate in her usual slow and graceful manner, unhurried since she didn’t actually eat as much as the speedsters.

(I’m so proud of you Dashie, you’ve helped Scootaloo so much today… I wish I knew some other way to show you how happy I am for the two of you, but… I can only try to show through my actions since my words are too quiet…)

Rainbow noticed the small grin and blushed briefly at the focused gaze before smiling briefly back. She assumed it was for how well she handled the situation, which was in part some of the reason of Fluttershy’s joy, though she didn’t want to appear sappy in front of the filly sharing the table with them.

Afterwards, the prismatic pegasus made the second bedroom seem more lived in; placing posters of the Wonderbolts on the walls as well as putting some of her lesser awards on the shelf that was in the room. They also placed more nicknacks in the living room to give it a homey feel and not so freshly bought. Once that was complete, the older pegasi bid the younger one goodnight and left for the evening, promising to check in every so often.

That night found the newest resident stuck awake, unused to the soft sheets or slightly bouncy frame beneath her. After tossing back and forth, the orange filly grabbed all the blankets and two pillows to use on the floor instead, making a burrow like structure to counteract the softness of the bed. It didn't help she was nervous at being in a new environment and rested under the bed for security and hide-ability.



When that Friday arrived, Scootaloo made sure to arrive back to her new home quickly and checked that things looked ok for the visit. She made sure the bed was done properly (having finally gotten used to sleeping in it the night before) and jerked up at the knock before the door swung open to show Rainbow glancing about.

“Looking good squirt, seems like you're getting the hang of having a place to yourself.” Dash smiled at the filly who blushed at the praise before checking that her own room was still in order.

Not even minutes afterwards came yet another knock on the door, prompting Rainbow to head over to answer it. With a nervous smile in place, she opened the dark-blue frame to find a middle aged unicorn stallion with a clipboard hovering nearby and small glasses resting on his muzzle.

“Hey, eh heh, how are you doing today?” The usually brash mare tried to sound friendly as she half-smiled at the unicorn who raised a single brow at the statement.

“Fine, but that may not be the case for you today. I assume you are Rainbow Dash, guardian of Scootaloo?” At the tense nod, the stallion cleared his throat before continuing. “I am Close Inspection and let us get this inquiry underway.”

Dash stepped backwards with little of her usual bravado and began the tour, showing each of the features with shaky smiles while the indochine coated unicorn merely wrote on his paperwork with a neutral expression. After viewing the last room, he turned to the filly that had been following anxiously behind them and wore a gentle smirk.

“Now I have a few questions for you, young Miss. Would you like to come with me so we can talk privately?” Before the orange filly could respond, Dash stepped forward with a wavering smile.

“I could, uh, step out if you need instead? I don't mind-”

“Could Rainbow Dash please stay?” The older ponies paused and looked down at the filly who crouched slightly but stared pleadingly to the inspector. After glancing between the two pegasi and seeing the mildly surprised face of the older one, contesting to how she was not in fact orchestrating the conversation, he nodded and led them back to the living room.

The indochine stallion made sure the older mare sat on the sofa while he and Scootaloo sat on the couch, wanting to be sure her answers were not a result of being forced to make the situation more positive than it was.

“I'm going to ask you a few questions ok? I'm going to need you to answer them all honestly.” Close Inspection waited for the agreeing nod before posing the questions. “Are you doing ok in school? Eating properly...? Is Rainbow Dash taking proper care of you and staying here as well?” He watched for any twitches or signs of falsehood but found none, only a slightly worried filly who quietly answered his questions.

“Yeah, I’m doing ok in school. I make sure to have three meals a day, since that’s the best way to build up strength to fly someday… Rainbow Dash makes sure I’m doing fine and she stays with me in this house she got especially for me; it’s pretty cool to have a pony as awesome as her staying nearby.” Scootaloo tapped her fore-hooves, truthful in how grateful and appreciative she was of the heroic mare’s attention. Dash was also flattered to hear that and blushed lightly from where she sat, a hoof scuffing her mane as she stared at the ground with a smirk.

Close Inspection jotted a few more notes on his board before turning back towards the older mare with his expression neutral once more.

“It seems everything is in order here Ms. Dash. There will be a mandatory check up in three months to be sure everything is still doing as well as it currently is. Have a nice day.” Taken aback at the rather abrupt exit and dismissal, the two pegasi could only watch as the unicorn left quickly and closed the door behind him.

After several minutes to collect their thoughts, the two stood as well and met in the middle in an embrace. Scootaloo gave her hero a hug around one fore-leg, happy to know that no one would be bothering them for a while and that she was now free of the orphanage. Rainbow wrapped the other hoof around the orange barrel before smirking once more.

“See Scoot? Told ya everything would be fine. Now you can do your own thing without worrying about that dumb orphanage anymore.” Dash watched proudly as Scootaloo backed up from her hug and nodded with a bright smile.

“Right! Thanks Rainbow Dash, you're the best!” The orange filly couldn't hold back her grin at the success and was buzzing with excitement.

“I know I am. Go ahead and find those friends of yours, I'm sure they'd love to hear how the check up went.” Rainbow looked on amused as Scootaloo nodded rapidly before taking off to find her fellow Crusaders, her happiness lending speed to her already buzzing wings as she raced on her scooter to the clubhouse. Dash made sure to lock up before taking to the skies for her extra shift of work, a wide grin across her muzzle at the joy she was able to give the unfortunate pegasus; a fact that she was more than willing to try and change, to give the kid a break from her hardships.

(I guess doing all this extra stuff isn't so bad... I'll just need to take a few more naps to make up for it...)

Author's Note:

Ok, so a couple of things. First, huge thanks to Gwg and Bronco for editing this extremely long chapter! It's due to their input and help that I bring better chapters for you to read every time.

Second thing, you may notice that the spacing is different. I hadn't realized how troubling it was concerning the spacing. I thought it was more like pauses in the story and appearantly annoyed Bronco a little/lot and Gwg agreed that it was odd. So now I'll try to keep it simpler and the same.

Third thing, I'm trying to be fluffy detailed. You probably noticed this right away, I've added a lot of detail and a lot more is going on. This in fact marks the start of longer chapters, for Taming the Storm specifically at least. A lot is going to be happening, and picking up speed too. It's going to be a long ride, so fasten your seat belts!

Also, last thing, promise. I love to read comments. It can be bad/negative/you did this wrong kinds too. Helps me know where I stand with some of the readers or what readers think at least. :pinkiehappy: