• Published 16th Dec 2013
  • 4,561 Views, 146 Comments

A New Kind Of Party - Wolfie 03



Two mares have found a new kind of party of the heart with one another, something the original party mare never thought she'd find and one the librarian never thought of before. Can they find the right balance to enjoy this new feeling? Find out

  • ...
9
 146
 4,561

III - Telling Others

Start of September, 1004 A.D. (After Discord)

Mr. and Mrs. Cake knew something was going on; they didn't know what, but that something had changed. Their young charge was prone to hyperactivity and being cheerful (aside from a few instances that they didn't want to think about), but her recent behavior was even more cheerful than usual and she was spending more time at the local library. Not that reading or learning was bad, it was just some new thing she was doing.

The Cakes didn't mind that Pinkie Pie had sleepovers, but after the fifth one they started to think it was more than that. They tried to question her but she wouldn't say to having Pinkie Promising her silence.

It was a little over a month since the new behavior started that there came a breaking point; after another 'sleepover', Pinkie Pie came home with a hickey.

Mrs. Cake had been opening the shop when Pinkie bounced in, all smiles like usual after one of her 'sleepovers'. As her pink mane bounced along with her, it lifted enough to reveal a light red mark on the side of her neck.



“Pinkie! What's that?” Mrs. Cake shouted in surprised, dropping the pan of cupcakes onto the counter from shock.

Pinkie paused in her bouncing and reversed bouncing towards the older baker, landing before her with a wide smile.

“What is what? And what kind of question is that anyway? I mean it sounds so silly and -”

“Pinkie!” The pink mare paused in her ramblings and stared innocently back.

“Yes?”

“What is that!” The older mare pointed a hoof toward the pink neck, causing the young baker to circle around trying to spot what was being pointed at.



Pinkie spent the next minute spinning around flinging her mane and tail about as she craned her neck trying to spot what was wrong; everything looked the same as she did when she left Twilight that morning.

Mr. Cake had stepped out from the kitchen to find out what was wrong with the others and found Pinkie sat dizzily facing the older mare.

“What's what? I can't seem to find it.” Pinkie gave Mrs. Cake a dizzy smile while the older mare sighed before pointing firmly and re-explaining.

“What are you doing with a hickey!?!” Mr. Cake's eyes widened in shock while Pinkie tilted her head and finally managed to spot the offending mark. Blue eyes lit slightly in recognition as she thought to the previous night.

Pinkie had been thanking Twilight for the secret lab and the unicorn managed to reverse it into showering the earth pony with kisses and caresses.



(Twilight has gotten so better with showing how she feels about me that the world can tell! Does this mean that she wants to go public...? Probably not...)



“Harry? I don't think this is Harry the Bear, it looks nothing like him!” the older couple face-hoofed before giving their faces a quick rub and facing the innocent looking mare once more.

“No deary, a hickey... It's when... Two ponies love each other very much and kiss places not on the lips that leaves a mark.” Mrs. Cake felt awkward telling the no longer a filly about this, since she would have already talked about this topic before; Pinkie went from polite conversion to smiles as she waved a dismissing hoof to the older mare.

“Jeez, I know that! I heard all about the birds and the bees, though I don't know why ponies keep talking about how honey gets made or what birds do...” The Cakes gave each other shocked looks before Mr. Cake decided to try and talk with the younger mare.

“Pinkie, you do know where little babies come from, right?”

“Well duh! They come from mommies and daddies! What does that have to do with kisses?”

“Well, it's more like what comes after wards-”

“What he was trying to explain is, we want you to be happy and if you find a special somepony we'd like to meet them.” Pinkie frowned in thought once more and nodded slowly, which set the bakers at ease.

“Oh, ok...” All three ponies stood in the front of the store a moment longer; the two waiting to see if the pink mare would say anything while Pinkie suddenly wanted to see her marefriend again.

It was as a customer entered the store that the three bakers broke free of their thoughts and began to rush to get everything back in order for the day. Business was booming that day at Sugarcube Corner, which prevented the pink baker from from seeing her little star until supper time; barely making it in time for their lesson on how to cook Oat Burgers and hayfries.



Twilight soon noticed how much more distracted the hyper mare was that evening and tried to ask what was wrong once they finished.

“Pinkie? Is something the matter?” The pink mare jolted back to the topic at hoof.

“Oh, no it's fine... I was just thinking about what Mr. and Mrs. Cake said today.” Twilight raised a curious brow at the unusually hesitant response.

“Oh? And what did they say?” Pinkie fidgeted in place before going with her usual blunt response.

“They saw a hickey you gave me and wanted to know if I had a special somepony. I didn't tell them anything though! I won't say anything unless you want me to and you don't want to yet even though I want everyone to know how happy we are but that wouldn't make you happy so I-” Twilight had been shocked and worried when she heard what the Cakes had seen but during Pinkie's tirade realized how much Pinkie was willing to do to please the unicorn; to set the pink mare at ease, Twilight had sat next to her and gave her a hug.

“It's ok Pinkie; I did say I would think about when we would tell others....” Twilight mentally consulted her dating books for advice on meeting the parents or important ponies to one's marefriend; it stressed the importance for putting one's best hoof forward in such situations and Twilight was good at planning the best way to do something.

Pinkie watched in excitement, being able to see the plans forming in her marefriend's eyes and knew she'd think of the perfect plan.

“Well, I know that they are important to you... We'll set up a dinner and meet with them formally, put our best effort forward. I'll plan a dinner and we'll have them over and explain everything; how's that?” Pinkie jumped slightly in joy and shook the unicorn with her as she gave a large smile.

“Ooohhh! That's a great plan Twilight! Then can we have a great big ol' dinner party!” Pinkie started to hop around the table while Spike and Twilight looked on with bemused smiles.

“When would you have the dinner Twilight?” Spike asked the unicorn who gave a start when she realized that it meant having to reschedule the next week; knowing the hyper mare, she would want to have the 'party' as soon as possible.



“Can we have it tomorrow? Can we can we can we?” Twilight face-hoofed as her thoughts came true in moments.

“Can we perhaps wait a few more days? In order to make the best kind of dinner party, we'd need a proper plan...” Pinkie nodded rapidly as she came to rest next to her lavender mare and gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

“Sure thing Twilight! I'll take care of the party and you take care of the dinner!” Twilight flinched and ruefully grinned to the experienced baker.

“Uhm, I don't know.... I may need some more classes before being able to make a formal dinner; there's the appetizer to make, salad, entrees, main course, second, third or even fourth courses! Deserts too! What do you make to impress sweet makers?” Pinkie paused and looked over to the unicorn who was slowly driving herself to extreme stress; quick as a flash the pink earth pony was beside the unicorn and giving her a nuzzle hug to try and calm her down.



“Twilight, you don’t need to worry so much; they won't care if there's one course or thousands! I'm sure if we try our very bestest best we can do anything!” Twilight slowly leaned into the other mare and tried to relax from her growing nerves; telling others was a big step after all.

“I guess... So, uhm, how about those cooking lessons?” Twilight sheepishly smiled to the pink mare who grinned back and jumped over to the now well used cook book that had been the first birthday present Pinkie had given the unicorn. Soon the duo were hoof deep in ingredients while the young dragon look on and gave occasional tips to the still learning lavender unicorn.


The Cakes had been rather surprised (and yet not so surprised) when Pinkie came to them the next day asking if they could make time for a 'special dinner party' where they would discuss the hyper mare's recent behavior. They arranged to have this dinner in three days time, giving all the ponies involved time to make their schedules clear.

Mrs. Cake couldn't decide if she should be happy or nervous about the meeting; she felt as though she was a surrogate mother to the younger baker and wanted to make sure that she was actually happy. The older couple knew that she did have an actual family, but she had been with them for over three years by this time and she felt almost like a daughter to them. Mr. Cake took it upon himself to both calm his wife and to be the stern figure that this 'special somepony' shouldn't cross by upsetting Pinkie.

Not that Pinkie Pie knew most of this; though she did consider them as a second set of parents, and wanted them to know how happy she was at finding her special somepony already in life.




The next three days went on like normal, though more time was spent preparing for the important dinner and conversation that would be sure to follow it. Pinkie ended up making most of the dinner while Twilight made sure everything was going to go as planned and set up properly; they found that combining their efforts meant that the party and plans went perfectly and they wanted to plan something together soon.


The night of found four ponies and a dragon tense about what the night will bring; Pinkie wanted the location of the dinner to be a surprise and had the Cakes follow her while closing their eyes. Twilight and Spike remained silent until Pinkie gave the signal, pulling the blinds off the older couple and setting off some streamers and a few bangs by light purple magic.

“SURPRISE!”” Pinkie stood on her hind-hooves as she flung her fore-hooves out and grinned at the older bakers who looked about themselves in shock; being in the library wasn't really expected and either meant their discussion that night would be very different from the one they rehearsed or that Pinkie had no real idea what they had meant before. They weren't sure which they were hoping for and just remained silent as they looked around.

“Well, what do you guys think?! We made this whole thing together and so we could tell you something super duper extremely important!” Pinkie hopped rapidly in place while Twilight nodded slowly, watching for any signs of this whole thing going badly.

The lavender unicorn stepped forward and shook both of the bakers' hooves in greeting.

“Hello and thank you for coming today; Pinkie and I have made a delicious meal for you to enjoy.” The Cakes merely stood in shock, trying to form any words to express their confusion.

Twilight noticed this and frowned for a second before waving over the pink bouncing mare; they had a whispered conference to which Pinkie frowned slightly before grinning even larger than before. Together, the two mares turned to face the stunned bakers and stated the thing that they most likely really wanted to know.



“Hem, hem... I'm sure you would want to know why we've asked you to come tonight. As I'm sure you've noticed, Pinkie has been acting differently; and I have as well and it is due to the same reason. We have recently been dating and we hope for your approval.” The statement left the older couple in shock, slowly causing the new couple to become concerned as to what they thought.

“Oh, my. Uh, that's, that's just lovely dearies.” Mrs. Cake noticed the worrying looks on the younger mares' faces and tried to smile in return; Mr. Cake wavered slightly before shaking his head clear and trying to grin as well.

“O-oh, uh yes, it's great. Congratulations you two.” The four ponies smiled nervously at one another before the young dragon gave a small cough.

“Oh yes, uhm, if you could follow us to the dinning room?” Twilight waved to the kitchen where they had set up the dinner table.



The dinner was a simple but elegant affair, with salad, spaghetti and wheat balls and a dessert of cupcakes. It was a mostly quiet time, with only a few questions here and there about when they started dating and so on; the Cakes were still in a bit of shock and trying to adjust.

It was at the end of the evening event that the Cakes had accepted that Pinkie preferred mares and a rather studious and almost complete opposite one at that. Their smiles were more natural and the newer couple could almost feel it.

“Pinkie dear, we are happy that you've found a special somepony; and that you invited us to this dinner to explain.” Mrs. Cake smiled at the two mares who sat next to one another; they smiled back, glad that it was working out and had actually impressed the bakers.

“We're glad that you wanted to introduce us, even if we knew Twilight already though not as your marefriend.” Mr. Cake smiled as well, his attempt at a joke making the three others laugh lightly.

“Thank you for coming and I'm sure I speak for the both of us when I say that your acceptance is greatly appreciated.” Pinkie nodded to Twilight's sentence and bounced over to the older bakers to give them a tight hug.

“OoohhhHH! Thanks so so much Mr. and Mrs. Cake! It was super important to me that you knew! I'm SOOO glad you don't mind that I like Twilight a whole bunch, even more than cupcakes and sarsaparilla and even parties! Because being with my little star is like have a new kind of party all the time and it's super awesome amazing-tastic!” The Cakes raised surprised brows at the tirade while the unicorn ducked her head slightly in embarrassment.

Twilight stepped over to her marefriend and placed a hoof on her shoulder to pause her ranting.

“It means a lot to both of us. Thanks again, Mr. and Mrs. Cake.”

“Oh, it's no trouble at all deary, we'll just be on our way and let you two be alone for a moment. Oh and Pinkie?” Mrs. Cake waited to be sure she had the hyper mare's attention before continuing; Pinkie had started to nuzzle Twilight's side and drift into her haze of happiness.

“We may not be your actual parents, we do care and worry for you; so if you plan to stay over please let us know and be safe, alright?” Pinkie teared up slightly as the older couple leaned against one another as they smiled warmly at the pink earth pony; Pinkie bounced over and gave them one last hug.

“Will do! Thanks again and you guys have a good night's sleep! I'll stay here to be sure Twilight has it all under control.” The Cakes ruefully smiled and briefly hugged back before exiting the library.




“Well Sweetie, at least we know why Pinkie has been acting like that...” Mr. Cake nuzzled his wife's side as she stared ahead.

“Yes, I suppose so... I just hope they stay safe; I don't think Pinkie has been in a relationship, I hope she doesn't get heart broken...” Mrs. Cake leaned into the orange stallion who nodded to the hope.

“I do too Honey Bunch, I do too.”


“See? That totally went just fine and everything!” Pinkie returned to nuzzling the lavender mare who smirked back as she relaxed her posture.

“Yes, that did go pretty well. What did you want to do for the rest of the evening?” Twilight levitated the dishes to the sink and started to clean up the mess left over along with Spike and Pinkie; as the hyper mare grinned to her mare, Spike rolled his eyes at the lovie-dovie pair.

“I'll just stay down here for now and clean up some more.”

“Thanks Spike!” Twilight lead the way out with Pinkie following close behind.

“Yeah thanks a bunch Spike!” Spike rolled his eyes and just went back to work on cleaning the kitchen; it wasn't too bad considering how Twilight cleaned up as they cooked.


It was with great happiness that Pinkie stayed the night; it was a load off her mind and allowed her to enjoy the moment all the more knowing it was accepted by her other family. She tried to convince Twilight to do the same but she was still nervous about her family's reaction as well as any repercussions. Since Pinkie didn't want to upset her mare, she didn't pursue the topic for long and settled down for another cuddle session.



Twilight tried to figure out the best way to explain to her own parents or Princess Celestia but soon was planning out the next month; her workload was slowly increasing to it's usual amount and now she had dates to try and plan for as well.

Pinkie wasn't helping matters as she didn't keep an actual calender but used her very focused memory for when there was to be a party or event; sometimes she couldn't remember them at first before blurting it out loudly giving her marefriend a fright.


In the end, Twilight never managed to make the optimal plan for explaining to their friends what happened nor as much time to spend together as they wanted. Pinkie Pie planned to rectify this by making the best two month anniversary; Twilight had practically banned the weekly anniversaries and even bi-weekly ones, meaning that she had to make sure it would make it up for it this time.

The pink mare had well planned the greatest two month anniversary and was on her way to the library to set it up with the help of her latest design; the party cannon, a thing that would make setting up parties much faster and hopefully just as well if she had done it by hoof. The party pony hadn't test it yet but what better way than a field test?



As Pinkie bounced her way to where her marefriend and soon to be party was waiting when she heard a shout from behind her.

“Hey Pinkie Pie!” At the three voices calling her name, the baker paused in mid-bounce until she spotted the Crusaders and allowing gravity to resume, bounced over to the trio.

“Hey girls! You having lots of adventures? You may have a future in pyrotechnics with the kind of explosions you caused!” The trio were surprised at this comment and checked their surroundings rapidly before leaning towards the older mare in suspicion.

“How'd ya know about explosions?” The three girls watched closely, concerned that the gig was up before they even started.

Pinkie Pie, on the other hoof, just smiled and waved away their fears; she's always had a seventh sense about these kinds of things.

“Don't worry, nopony else knows what you've been doing. Where are you heading this time?” The trio weren't sure what to make of the older mare not answering their question but decided to go along with it anyways. The pink mare didn't want to worry the Crusaders about how she kept tabs on them and tried to get them focused on their next adventure.

“We're heading south; but we don't know what's south of Ponyville.” At the mention of 'south' the hyper mare's eyes lit up in excitement.

“Oh! There's lots of things to the south! There's E.U.C.C., Dodge Junction and Apploosa!” The girls shared a confused look at the letters and tilted their heads in unison before asking, “E.U.C.C.?”

“Yup! It's a college that grew so big that it became a town! There's tours for it and everything!” Pinkie bounced rapidly within a short span as she grinned, memories flying through her mind.

“Huh?” Three heads tilted the opposite way while they looked to the baker.

“Yep yep! It was really fun! Some ponies in town went there too, like Vinyl Scratch and Octavia Melody!” At the mention of two famous musicians the girls started to wave their hooves to the pink mare to get her to slow down so they could question her.

“Wait, so Dj Pon-3 lives here, in Ponyville?” Scootaloo asked with growing excitement. At Pinkie's nod of agreement the pegasus turned to her friends with a smile on her face.

“We should try to be DJs!” The others liked the idea but they were already on their way to try something.

“But Scootaloo, we're already gonnah go travlin' today; before school starts remember?”

“Oh yeah; ok, we'll try that some other time then. So there's three places to the south?”

“Yeah and Ah got family livin' in Apploosa.” Apple Bloom pointed out in an attempt to remind them about not getting caught, something they didn't get as Pinkie Pie interrupted.

“Yeah and they make the yummiest pies! Maybe you could learn to cook them? And the buffalo are really nice too!” Pinkie Pie started to drool at the thought of the aforementioned pies but reminded herself of the reason why she was heading to the library.



The librarian was going to get a surprise party and it was going to be the first in the field test for the pink mare's latest creation, the party cannon! Something that was dire indeed and worth waiting for pies for, especially considering the cake and punch that she was going to be serving.


The pink baker snuck inside with her cannon and inched her way up the stairs where she found the lavender unicorn face first in a book with ten more floating around her, Spike was running back and forth with armfuls of scrolls. Pinkie tilted her head and trotted forward, pushing the large pink barrel to be next to the other mare.

Spike only just caught sight of the pink mare hunching over the fire button and could only brace himself as the cannon exploded with streamers and confetti; the charge was too much and the barrel exploded apart like a split banana peel, revealing a soot faced party mare who also looked surprised at the result. Twilight had jumped a mile into the air and vaulted backwards away from the noise, the books flung far apart in shock as she gave a cry.



“Whhhhaaaaa!” As the streamers and confetti slowly fluttered downwards, Twilight stared at Pinkie Pie who stared back with a half smile on her face; it did get the studious mare's attention if nothing else.

“Pinkie Pie! What in Equestria was that!?!” Nopony moved as the unicorn demanded answers.

“That was my Party Cannon, patent pending.” Pinkie leaned towards Spike while muttering out the side of her muzzle concerning the patent.

“I was trying to get my studious little bookworm to notice that it was time for our two month anniversary! I wasn't expecting such a bang though, perhaps I put too much fireworks in it?” Pinkie looked to her invention while Twilight also peered at it in curiosity, the excitement of experimentation getting the better of her for the moment.

“How much did you put in there to begin with? Perhaps if you reinforced the barrel – wait, no. What's going on? Couldn't you have just nudged me or tried a different way to get my attention?” Pinkie was nodding along with the suggestions until Twilight brought her attention back to the main reason why she went with the whole shebang.

“It's our two month anniversary silly! I've got half of everything ready, see? This place looks ready to host the party, but I may need my trusty helper to cook the best party food in Equestria!” The lavender mare gave a start as she looked to the clock, realizing that her recreational reading had turned into more as time went on.

She had meant to only read a little bit before expecting the pink mare to come by for the anniversary; she had been almost coming by as regular as clockwork for each of their anniversaries, starting the 'party' at 7pm and making it last until 10pm if not longer to make it official.

The lavender unicorn gave her mare a bashful grin and stepped up next to the still smiling pink pony; giving her a nuzzle as she tried to properly word her apology.

“I'm sorry Pinkie; I was waiting for you and was doing some light reading. I didn't forget about it, I promise.” Pinkie gave an even larger smile while Spike merely rolled his eyes at 'light reading'; he had been trying to remind the unicorn for the past few hours but was studiously ignored.

Pinkie could tell the unicorn meant it and gave her a hug before grabbing a lavender hoof and heading to the kitchen, where the two mares baked up a storm (Pinkie had always wanted to try and make one). They partied well into the night and Twilight made great progress at last when it came to cooking, making slightly more complex baked goods.



They partied so well that they slept in the next morning, being so relaxed that Twilight didn't even mind the upset to her schedule; she had planned for this kind of thing but they ended up using the set aside time and were well on their way to use most of their morning reading.



It seemed that nothing could possible be wrong this morning, and Murphy had to get a word in.

The two mares were sharing a large dark navy cushion while reading an adventure story with Spike preparing a brunch since they missed breakfast.

They were in the middle of an action sequence (something that Twilight was making great progress with) when the library door burst open.

“Twilight, you simply must hel-” Rarity was leading the way with Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy who all paused at the sight of the residential bookworm and party pony cuddling and nuzzling one another on a shared cushion with a book laying out in front of them.

Pinkie Pie had a hoof around Twilight's shoulders and her head on the lavender mare's neck, within easy reach of Twilight's muzzle; something Twilight was taking advantage of and was in the midst of kissing the pink cheek when their friends came inside.

Due to the relaxing nature of their relationship, Twilight was slow to respond or even panic though both mares on the cushion turned as one to face their friends who were staring back in shock at the scene before them.

Rarity was the first to collect herself, and after warring with her romantic needs with the need to focus on the current issue, cleared her throat to collect herself.

“Ah, yes, uhm, as much as I would want to find out everything, we have an emergency on our hooves.” Twilight blinked slowly as she pushed her worries aside to help her friends, her brain slowly coming back from its daze to focus on the task at hoof.

“What's wrong?” As Twilight and Pinkie got up from their seat they were met halfway by the others who all silently agreed to worry about the girls first before asking of the two's new relationship.

“Well Twi', the Crusaders have gone missin'. We can't find them... Ah got a letter from mah cousin Braeburn sayin' he saw them in Apploosa but lost sight of them. We then tried tah find 'em here but had no luck; even Rainbow couldn't find them.” Applejack shook her head and pointed towards the cyan mare who stepped forward and explained further.

“I've looked all over town and the nearby places; they're not in Ponyville. I even checked the stores they often visit.” Rainbow stated flatly even as Rarity and Applejack flinched at the repeated fact; it was an accurate statement but Applejack wanted to be sure they didn't miss a thing before leaving town. The farmer tensed while the fashionista seemed to stand straighter, determined to stay strong.

“You said you got a letter?” The lavender mare inquired of the orange one who nodded slowly as she kept an eye on the unicorn beside her, something that Pinkie watched with interest.

“Yeah, Ah got ah letter from Braeburn sayin' he saw the girls in Apploosah. Here ya go Twi', we may have tah find the fastest train south...” Twilight grabbed the letter using her magic and Pinkie hovered over her shoulder as they read the letter together.

As Twilight read the letter, Applejack shifted in place with the gray-white unicorn following her movement in order to draw strength from the steady farmer. As the mares waited for the bookworm to finish reading, Rainbow Dash grew impatient at how long it was taking.

“Come on! We know they aren't here and that they are probably still in Apploosa! What are we waiting for?” As everyone looked to the cyan mare, Fluttershy flinched since she was next to Rainbow even though she wasn't the one they focused on; Twilight managed to remain impassive and answered Dash's almost rhetorical question.

“That would be the next course of action... Let's head to the train station.” As the six friends headed for the door, the librarian paused a moment to call for her assistant.

“SPIIKEEE! Spike, I need you to stay here and watch the library while we're gone, ok?” Spike nodded from the doorway to the kitchen, concerned but pleased to have something he could do to help; he had heard what was wrong, but with the six best friends on the case he knew it wouldn't be an issue for long.


The train ride south was an odd one; they took the express to get there faster but it was still a two hour long trip. At first it was filled with everyone trying to reassure Applejack and Rarity, but soon turned towards the pink and lavender mares' new relationship.

“So darling, have you and Pinkie Pie been going out long?” Pinkie merely looked to the librarian who was nervous about the others' reaction, she hadn't planned on what to tell her friends yet; as Rarity asked her question, Applejack looked out the window while keeping an ear on the conversation.

“Well, we've been, been dating for two months now...” The lavender unicorn rubbed her hooves together as Pinkie gave her a reassuring nuzzle; Rarity couldn't help but 'awww' at how Twilight wore a slight blush but made no move to stop the pink mare from nuzzling her.

“Why darling, that's wonderful!” Rarity clapped her hooves as the new couple smiled bashfully back.

“Ah hope y'all are happy with one another.” The couple wore bashful grins as they leaned into one another, their friends were taking the news much better than Twilight had first thought.

It was as Fluttershy was giving her own quiet congratulations that Dash rolled her eyes at the display; sappy wasn't cool at all.

“And you're still an egghead? I'd have thought hanging at with Pinkie would have loosened you up.” Rainbow Dash crossed her hooves while sticking a teasing tongue to the lavender mare who had tensed at the short tone but relaxed at the teasing smirk.

“Silly Dashie! You just gottah find the right spots to make Twilight go all loose; like this!” With that exclamation the pink earth pony thrust forward to nose the lavender unicorn's neck, making her melt under the touch all the while blushing.

“Pinkiieee!” Twilight weakly protested while most of the others chuckled at the sight; Rainbow Dash pretended to gag until catching sight of Fluttershy's disapproving look; as the two pegasi spoke quietly with one another, Applejack turned her attention back to the window all the while listening to the continued conversation. Rarity still had many more questions and a long train ride to ask them.

“So, when did you get together? You've been dating for two months...? Hmmm, what happened two months ago...” They tried to focus on a lighter topic to keep from worrying about the girls, something Twilight and Pinkie were more than willing to comply.

Before either mare could state when exactly they got together, the fashionista clapped her hooves together as she realized the likely candidate.

“Oooh! I know, it was after your birthday party Twilight, wasn't it?” At the acknowledgment that she got the right time, the gray-white unicorn turned to the farmer next to her and gave her a nudge.

“Ha! I told you that there was something going on that night! I have a sixth sense about these things after all.” Rarity put her nose into the air proudly as Applejack gave her a rude smile; consenting that she had been right at the party about their two friends' feelings for one another.

Twilight blushed once more as she realized that they may have been a little obvious in their affection for one another at that party; Pinkie merely grinned at the good guess and sat closer to her mare.

“Yeah, Ah guess so...” Rarity was concerned slightly by the slightly less energetic response but decided that it was perhaps nerves finally showing and just turned back to the couple to ask about what kind of dates they had been on or other romantic things they may have done.



It was an impressive list, ranging from simple picnics to movies, dinner, and star gazing as well as quite a few anniversaries hosted by the original party animal. Both the farmer and fashionista seemed impressed by the list, even as Applejack continued to look out the window.

Rarity asked more questions, like if they had told anyone else, family, friends, Princesses. When they got to the Royal Sisters, Twilight became nervous and explained how she was worried what Princess Celestia would think of her relationship. Both Rarity and Pinkie reassured her that it was going to be fine, stating several reasons why it wouldn't matter.

They spent the rest of train trip with the well-in-the-know mare giving tips and advice to the new couple about places to visit and things they could do together. The two mares wore bemused smiles and paid close attention to the suggestions, plans forming in the back of their minds about things to do.


By the time the girls reached the station, they were once again nervous about finding the fillies. Their luck was with them however, for the fillies they were searching for were just arriving at the train station. The four mares stepped back while the two sisters rushed forward to start chastising their sisters; most of the others felt it was a sister matter only and stayed back while they demanded their answers, though Rainbow felt slightly responsible for the orange filly and also stepped forth to speak with the girls.

“What in the hay are y'all doin'?”

“What do you have say for yourself?!”

At the two voices, the three Crusaders gave a large flinch and crouched down; they spent a moment wondering if they could run for it but noticed that it wasn't just two older sisters waiting for them. As the four fillies faced the group of older mares, they saw that not only were Rarity and Applejack waiting for them, but Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and even Twilight Sparkle had come along as well.

“Hey, uh, sis'...”

“Hi Rarity...”

“Uh, hi...”

The sisters didn't wait for a second before starting to question the girls, with Rainbow chiming in at the last moment.

“Do you know the kind of trouble you're in?”

“Ah got ah letter from Braeburn sayin' y'all were running around Apploosa!”

“Running away is not cool squirt; what would your parents think of that?”

The three fillies froze before turning to the young pegasus who looked stricken at the question; the older mares waited for any kind of response after saying their bit and watched the foals closely, waiting for an answer. The girls weren't going to say anything on behalf of Scootaloo, instead waiting to see what she wanted to say about the subject.

“I don't know what either one of them would think of that; they've been dead for over five years now.” Scootaloo replied flatly before taking off into town as fast as she could.

The six older mares stared on in shock before Fluttershy whispered something to the cyan pegasus who then took to the skies in pursuit. The canary mare soon followed after while the rest looked on before returning to the girls that remained behind. As the older sisters continued their interrogation of the girls, Twilight turned to the pink mare beside her with a pensive look.

Twilight was barely able to keep her whispering to a low level as she spoke with her marefriend; Pinkie Pie tried to reassure the lavender mare to little effect.

“Pinkie, I thought you said you would watch over them!” Twilight frowned at the baker who looked almost as downtrodden as the fillies being scolded.

“I was/did/have/am! I knew they were safe and that they wouldn't get into any kind of trouble they couldn't handle and-” Pinkie tried to defend herself and the girls as she stared at the purple unicorn with big pleading eyes and flat ears only to be cut off as Twilight realized the possible implications.

“What do you mean 'trouble they couldn't handle'?! Does this mean that they've been in trouble before and we didn't know about it!? Pinkie, that's dangerous! What if they got hurt?” Pinkie flinched as Twilight used educated guesses and made assumptions that were rather close to the truth; the baker knew that the girls didn't want anypony to find out what they had been doing and felt as though she had Pinkie Promised not to tell.

“Don't worry, I made sure that they were safe! Promise!” Twilight tried to remain suspicious, but Pinkie was firm and sincere in her assurances that the girls had been safe; and while she felt that there was more going on than being told, she also felt that she wouldn't be able to get more out of the pink mare out in public.

“.... Alright, but we're not done talking about this. Come on, let's see what they decided...” The lavender unicorn gave the pink earth pony a quick nuzzle before they stepped forward to listen to more of the siblings' discussion to find that it came to an end with the girls grounded for the foreseeable future; and no amount of pleading, begging, or puppy eyes would convince them otherwise.


Once the pegasi came back, the six friends and the fillies went in search of Braeburn to find out what had been happening. It seems that the girls hadn't done much aside from their usual antics and attempts at earning their Cutie Marks. The group soon made their way home, the ride much worse with tension. At the station, the girls put up a fuss that allowed Scootaloo to escape questioning which only made things worse for the two fillies left behind.




Twilight could only watch in worry as Rarity and Applejack got into a fight about whose fault the behavior was; as soon as the rest of the group had gone their own way, Twilight turned back to the other mare.

“Pinkie, what is going on? Did you know that the girls were going places outside of Ponyville?” Twilight demanded of the pink baker who crouched lower.

“... Maybe? I'm sorry Twilight.... I can't tell you, I promised the girls....” Pinkie couldn't meet purple eyes as Twilight sighed and shook her head.

“They could have been in real danger Pinkie! What if something dreadful happened?!” Pinkie scuffed a hoof along the ground and and laid her ears flat at the scolding.

“I'm sorry, but they are safe! They are getting better and growing up and all this helps them get better. The best way for them to grow up is to try a bunch of cool things and learn how to do stuff on their own!” Pinkie timidly brushed a hoof against Twilight's who frowned at the ground in thought.

“Please? I'm sorry. I make sure they're safe!” Twilight sighed and hung her head at the dejected sight before her, it was getting harder and harder to deny the pink earth pony anything.

“... Alright Pinkie; but you better tell us the next time something like this comes up, they could be needed or something might be wrong.” Twilight tried to be firm to which Pinkie nodded rapidly; after seeing agreement the unicorn led the way back to the library.

Twilight didn't feel like relaxing as much anymore, she had a library to run, and so she did not return to what they had been doing when the others came to find them; Pinkie tried to keep up and spent the rest of the day trying to cheer up the worried mare.

The librarian wasn't sure of what to think and wasn't willing to be cheered up; this however didn't prevent the two from going to bed together, wrapped in one another's hooves like any other night.




Both mares stayed up that night, musing on what had happened that day and ways to make it better; Pinkie was thinking parties and 'I'm Sorry' cakes while Twilight was thinking of being truthful with one another as well as others. It amazed the unicorn how it all seemed so easy that morning and now they came to the first bump; Twilight was determined to not let this ruin their relationship and clutched further at the pink mare, something that cheered up Pinkie greatly who returned the gesture, allowing both to fall into fitful sleep.

Author's Note:

This story and Taming the Storm will be updated bi-weekly, contering my other two stories, A Not 'So Simple' Simple Life and The Adventures of the Cutie Mark Crusaders - Fillies on a mission!. To get a proper view of the whole story that's going on in Ponyville, you should read the other stories.

Please let me know if you notice anything wrong because I was kind of watching Doctor Who at the time of writing these chapters (at the insistance of my friends). Thanks and enjoy!