• Published 16th Dec 2013
  • 4,524 Views, 146 Comments

A New Kind Of Party - Wolfie 03



Two mares have found a new kind of party of the heart with one another, something the original party mare never thought she'd find and one the librarian never thought of before. Can they find the right balance to enjoy this new feeling? Find out

  • ...
9
 146
 4,524

II - The 'Perfect' Date

End of June, 1004 A.D. (After Discord)

Pinkie Pie woke up extremely early, jumping up from her bed already hyper. She had a lot to get ready for the big date and wanted to get an early start; there were sweets to bake, punch to drink, a picnic basket to prepare as well as a sleepy librarian to get.

The pink baker silently bounced down the stairs, she didn't want to wake the others on their one day off after all! She started multitasking to make a yummy sugary picnic, one that would give the librarian much needed energy. Pinkie made Twilight's favorite cupcakes, punch and even some non-sugary sandwiches (which were Twilight's favorite as well). Once that was all done, she packed it away into the picnic basket, covering it all with her red and white checkered blanket they would sit on; the pink mare didn't bother to pack any pillows, she hoped to be able to use a lavender one that kept warm all on its own that smelled of ink, books and magic (kind of like strawberries).

Pinkie gave the basket a twirl on her nose before settling it onto her back and skipped out to meet her date for the day (though she would want to date the unicorn any day of the week anyways). The sun was just starting to rise as the earth pony stopped in front of the wooden door leading into the tree library; with a few bonks of her head, Pinkie was soon greeted by the sight of Twilight who had bed head and a slight twitch of her eye.

“Hey there Twilight! It's my day off and before we go on our date, would you want to play some games first?” Pinkie gave her marefriend a large smile that Twilight sleepily returned before getting a look at where the sun was in the sky; she turned to the pink mare with a confused frown on her face.

“Pinkie, did you just come here at the crack of dawn to play games until our date which is at noon at your insistence?” Twilight quietly asked the mare before her who merely smiled even wider as she nodding her head rapidly.

“Piiinnkkkiieee..... There's hours before our date!” At the tired roll of a lavender head, Pinkie's smiled drooped slightly in worry and sadness.

“You don't want to hang out first?” Twilight face-hoofed at the wavering face before her and sighed again before smiling tiredly back to reassure the pink mare.

“Yes, I'd love to hang out; I only just got up though so I'd need to make breakfast and coffee before we, uh, hang out.” Twilight waved her hoof to the hyper mare, leading her inside the treehouse where they saw Spike at the bottom of the stairs, rubbing at an eye with a claw.

“Twilight, who was at the door? Oh, it's Pinkie Pie... I'll go and make breakfast.” Spike waved reassuringly to the two mares who, once the door was shut, began to nuzzle good morning to each other.

“Will the stuff you brought be ok until we go?” Twilight asked the mare as they trotted over to the kitchen where Spike started up the flying pan; before long Pinkie had joined in the breakfast making (something that Spike was grateful for) while Twilight waited for the answer.

“Of course it will silly! The blanket keeps everything warm!” Pinkie set her load down onto the counter out of the way of the waffles and hay-hashbrowns they were making for three; this was what the hyper really wanted, to be able to make sure her little star had the proper start to her day to set up the good vibe for the rest of their time together.

“Oh... Ok.” Twilight smirked as she watch the whirlwind of pink blow through the kitchen and finish making the breakfast just as the coffee was done, setting the table with everything steaming fresh.

“It looks delicious; thanks Pinkie Pie, thanks Spike.” Both of the cooks grinned at the thanks before joining the lavender mare at the table to have a very good breakfast.




It only felt right to Twilight to help with cleanup, making things go three times as fast as she used her magic to levitate and clean the dishes and counters. After that was all taken care of, the unicorn made another chore list for the young dragon to do while the two mares went and 'hung out'; 'hanging out' turned out to be Twilight reading adventure books out loud to the pink mare who snuggled up next to her.

Pinkie insisted on reading the story together and liked to listen to Twilight as she practiced bringing the story to life with sound effects and dramatization (something the hyper mare thought was both amusing and cute to listen to).





The two mares passed the four hours until their date in this fashion and were rather reluctant to get up; it was Pinkie who suggested that they bring a few books to read on their picnic. The couple said farewell to Spike and were soon on their way to the 'secret' location for the picnic date; the pink mare even went so far as to have her marefriend close her eyes in order to surprise her.




After a long trek through town and then into the fields nearby (Twilight could tell since Pinkie hadn't closed her ears), they traveled upwards for a while before coming to a stop.

“Alrighty! Open them up!” Pinkie hopped in place as Twilight took a look around, finding that they were on a hill surrounded by trees aside from one side that was clear and had a perfect view of Ponyville below them.

“Ohhh, this is the clearing where I found you when I made the biggest mistake ever.... It is rather beautiful, and it would be nice to enjoy it in a better mood than last time.” Twilight stated appreciatively as the other mare set up the blanket and supplies.

“Yep yep! And this way we're totally alone and nopony would bother us, unless you want them to, which I don't mind either way so long as you are happy and if this makes you happy then -” Twilight smirked in happiness at the lengths the pink earth pony was willing to go for her and cut her off with a kiss to the cheek in thanks.

“It's lovely. Why don't we start having some of this yummy food you brought and then we can get back to reading?” Pinkie nodded with a goofy pleased grin on her face and whipped out the various dishes she had prepared for them that day.


While they enjoyed their meal as they watched the town below, Pinkie Pie soon noticed that Twilight wasn't eating as many cupcakes as she had come to suspect she ate due to how often the baker would see either her or Spike order whole batches for the day. Concerned, the pink baker nuzzled under the lavender mare's chin and quietly asked her what was wrong.

“Twilight, why aren't you eating more of the cupcakes? Did I not make them very well?” Twilight gave a small start as she realized that her eating habits had been so obvious before and tried to think of the best way to word why she didn't feel the need to have as many this time.

“... It's because... I'm with you.” At the confused tilt of Pinkie's head, the unicorn continued her explanation.

“Before, when I thought of cupcakes, they reminded me of you; and since I felt, at the time, that since I couldn't have or be with you, I'd have cupcakes instead. It also gave me an excuse to visit.... I had been thinking about it since our trip to Fillydelphia and how you got me cupcakes but I didn't really want any; you were spending time with me, so they weren't needed.” Twilight smirked as comprehension dawned in sky-blue eyes.

“OOoohhh! Well then I'll just have to make sure to be in balance with your sugary needs, it's always helped me stay awake so I'll make sure that you feel like eating enough to keep you going for the day.” As Pinkie nodded solemnly, the unicorn merely rolled her eyes.

“I have coffee to keep me awake; all I need now is for you to stay with me as much as possible.” The pink mare blushed at the statement while Twilight smirked, pleased that some of her practicing with the romantic lines paid off; it made telling Pinkie how much she meant to the lavender mare easier.




With one more kiss on a purple cheek, Pinkie pulled out the book they had been in the midst of reading before and set in front of the two of them; they spent the rest of the warm afternoon reading together and enjoying the fresh air. As it got closer to supper time, Pinkie had to go back to Sugarcube Corner so that Mr. and Mrs. Cake didn't worry about her safety.



Twilight watched her marefriend hop her way home until she couldn't see her any longer and turned to head back to the library. Due to the increased workload of the studious pony, the couple settled for another date in a week's time, one that was to be planned by the lavender mare this time.

Since they both had so much fun from the simple date, Twilight decided that it would be better to try and include as many fun aspects of common dates into one that all could be done from home; she wanted to show how much Pinkie meant to her and what better way than to make the best possible date ever.

Spike watched in resignation as Twilight compared multiple books at once in order to compile a list of common features and elements of a date, taking special note of certain types and their possible meanings. After hours reading and re-reading the newest literature of the library, Twilight had a list of dating options; going to the movies, having a romantic dinner, stargazing and doing some kind of activity together. Considering how she wanted to make the best possible date since it would double as their month anniversary, Twilight tried to do all four options in one date.




For the movies, she found the library had an old projector and screen along with some old documentary and silent action films. By practicing every night, Twilight prepared to make a romantic dinner for two; after which they would read by the fireside together until it was just the right time to go star gazing; it was the perfect plan. To give Spike the chance to be away from the 'mushy' couple, Twilight arranged for him to visit Canterlot for the night with plans to be back in the morning with materials the library needed.


Even as the rest of the week was busy for the two mares, their next date weighed heavily on their minds. They stole moments together when they could, but their schedules didn't match up properly; the date, on their month anniversary, was the first time they could really be together.



Pinkie entered the library that afternoon to darkness, which suddenly lighted as the projector was turned on and the start of an old action film began.

“I was thinking we could watch a movie before we had dinner.” Pinkie could just barely make out Twilight's features in the now half-darkness; with a giant leap and grin, the pink mare landed next to the lavender one as she wrapped pink hooves around her marefriend.

“That's so super sweet! I'd love to watch a movie with you Twilight!” The unicorn grinned in return before grabbing a hold of the other mare and settling down further on the cushion she had thought to bring.

The film was old and didn't have sound, but that didn't mean the girls didn't enjoy it; they often substituted with their own words and ended up laughing most of the time. Half way through the film, smoke started to rise from the old machine, causing Twilight to sit up in alarm. After it gave a loud bang and started to fizzle, the unicorn rapidly tried to shut it off while turning on the lights with her magic. Pinkie stood in concern and watched as the projector seemed to cave in on itself and give up the fight. Twilight took a few steps back as she waved a hoof, dispelling the smoke that invaded her personal space.




“Are you ok Twilight?”

“Yeah, yeah I'm fine Pinkie. I'm sorry about this, the projector is rather old...” The lavender unicorn looked despairingly at the machine until the earth pony stepped forward and pressed her cheek against Twilight's.

“It's ok, the movie was pretty funny anyways. Besides, it's just about time for dinner! It must have known I was getting hungry and put it on pause for us!” Pinkie grinned reassuringly at the other mare who smiled back at how she was trying to be positive.

“In that case, if you would be so kind as to follow me?” Twilight bowed to the pink pony and pointed with her hoof to the kitchen; Pinkie giggled at the display and bounced her way to the kitchen table where a candle light dinner was laid out for the two of them.

The meal was more of a simpler one, with some tulip and daisy sandwiches, rose water and light salad; but any time Twilight tried to make something more complex she started to burn things. There was a single candle in the center of the table which was lit with a simple flick of the unicorn's horn and Twilight had used her entire being and focus to make cupcakes for their dessert; something that Pinkie was able to tell and appreciated greatly.

“Oh Twilight, this looks great!” Pink hooves wrapped around a purple neck while Twilight blushed at the praise.

“Well, it was nothing really... I would have made more but I can't cook all that much still... I'll need another lesson later on.” Twilight tried to smile in a seductive manner to which caused Pinkie to blushed before grinning once more.

“Sure thing! It will be a super special lesson!” With another shared smile, the two mares sat down to enjoy their meal together. Midway through the simple meal, Twilight explained how the rest of the night was going to go.

“If it's alright with you, Pinkie, after our meal together we can read a book or two until it gets dark enough to stargaze.” Blue eyes lit up at the plan and Pinkie hopped in place.

“That sounds awesome! I can't wait and you can teach me some of the really cool things about the different stars and everything!” Just as both mares shared a pleased smile, a thunderous roar crashed outside and a sudden downpour of rain began; the two happy faces fell into shocked ones as they looked out the nearest window to see the rain pouring as a thunder storm raged outside.

“Wha-bu-how did-?! I could have sworn that it was supposed to be a nice night! If this doesn't let up in time, we won't get the chance to stargaze at all!” Twilight stood up and ran to the window, hoping to see some pegasi flying around outside about to clear the sky; instead she found nothing but dark clouds and lightning.



“No, no no no no no no!” Purple strands of hair began to twist and frizz out as the unicorn slowly lost her calm at the so far ruin of the 'perfect' date.

“Twilight! It's ok, it's not like it has to be perfect!” Purple eyes twitched at this sentence and the pink mare continued on.

“Come on, the date's not over yet! We can still have lots of fun, and I may have to stay the night since it's raining so hard...” Pinkie tried different tactics at once to cheer up her distressed date, which was somewhat affective; Twilight glanced over to the mare who had stepped forward and rubbed her back soothingly.

The purple unicorn leaned into the pink earth pony as she tried to not to stress out completely and salvage the date.

“I promise Twilight, it doesn't have to be perfect. We can still have a great time! Like reading, cuddling, or even cooking...” The lavender mare breathed in the scent of her marefriend; the vanilla, frosting and baking mix scents slowly soothed her nerves.

“I'm sorry, I just really wanted this date to be, well, perfect....” Pinkie raised an unsurprised brow at her mare who looked sheepishly back.

“Come on, let's just enjoy our evening by the fireside.” At this suggestion, the hyper mare gave a large smile and leading the way upstairs where it was but a moment before the unicorn had the fire going to ward off the creeping chill.

The couple managed to save the rest of the evening by sitting near the fireside and relaxing after the previous week they had by laying next to one another. It was as the night was winding down that the storm finally subsided and the stars came out; the two girls were able to get some stargazing before going to bed in each other's hooves. So while it wasn't the perfect date, both enjoyed it nonetheless.




It was as they were laying in bed that Pinkie turned to the lavender mare and noticed the shadow of a frown on her face, bringing forth one of her own.

“Twilight, what's wrong?”

“Hmm? Oh, nothing; don't worry.” Twilight tried to clear her mind of the failed 'perfect date' and smiled at the pink baker who wasn't convinced of 'nothing'.

“Twiliiighhtttt... You know you can tell me anything right?” Pinkie pouted to the lavender librarian who smirked ruefully as her act had been seen through.

“Sigh.... Is there anything I can do to make it up to you? For the failure of a date?” Pinkie frowned once more and was about to argue the statement's validity when Twilight put a purple hoof to pink muzzle to silence her.

“I know, I know, it was a good date in the end... I just, want to do something for you; is there anything you want or wanted to do?” Pinkie gave one last frown to the mare beside her before frowning in thought instead as she tapped her chin.


“Hmmmmm.... HhhhMMM?? Hhmm hmmm... HhhHHhhmmMMmm? HhHHhhmmm... Oh I know!” Twilight watched in amusement at all the pensive faces Pinkie was making and almost missed when she had an answer.

“Yes?”

“A Super Duper Top Secret Laboratory! Like you have but for part-ays!” The lavender mare blinked in shock at the request; she had assumed maybe a party or even cupcakes, or even some more cuddle time but a laboratory was unexpected.

“A laboratory? Like, an underground laboratory?”

“Yep!”

“For parties?”

“Yep! I would invent all sorts of cool things to help me throw better parties!” Another pair of blinks followed this statement before Twilight silently concurred that it did make sense, in a Pinkie fashion.

“Where would you want this secret lab?” Pinkie bounced in place as she grinned at the lavender mare, this being the pièce de résistance.

“Right next to yours! So I can visit you any time I want to!” Twilight blinked before sheepishly smiling back.

“Oh.... Ok, uhm... Next to mine... That's under the tree...” At the rapid nodding of a pink head, Twilight rubbed her temple as she tried to start planning such an endeavor.

“Would it be alright if it was underground NEXT to the tree? There's not much space left under the tree...” The unicorn began to try and imagine all the things needed to make an underground laboratory, while Pinkie Pie rubbed at her chin once more.

“That should be fine. I know just the pony to make more room though!” Twilight raised a curious brow at the excited face next to her.

“Really? How does that work?”

“I dunno, you'd have to ask him. Lots of timy wimy wibbly wobbly space dimension thingy; I'm sure he'd be happy to explain it all to you.” Twilight tilted her head at the description of how some of it works; never having heard such words though it wasn't unusual considering it was Pinkie Pie.

“Alright... So, what's his name? Where does he live?” Pinkie answered immediately with a smile on her face at how serious Twilight was being about the whole thing.

“He's Time Turner, and he lives right here in Ponyville! He runs a clock and tinker shop near the market place.” Twilight tried to think of the shop or the pony, but even after being in town for a year she hadn't learned everyone's name.

“Hmmm, can you show me the shop tomorrow? We'll see what he can do before moving ahead with any plans...” Twilight was suddenly subjected to a tight hug as Pinkie bounced in place, causing both to bounce and the bed to squeak.

“Oooohhh! Thank you so much Twilight! Does this mean I get my own Super Duper Secret Laboratory too?!” Pinkie couldn't help her wide grin which prompted one from the unicorn as well.

“Yes, I'll see what we can do.” While the excited baker wanted to celebrate, she knew the librarian would need her sleep; especially if they were going to build a laboratory for new party experiments.

After another bounce hug, Pinkie attempted to settle down and go to sleep; a hard feat to do as she was in her marefriend's bed, with pink hooves around lavender barrel, and said marefriend was actually giving her a laboratory. Twilight noticed and smiled in amusement at the attempt, and in turn tried to get sleep as well, hoping to set a proper example for her.


The next day found Twilight waking up later than usual due to their late night gazing; Spike had already gotten home and started making breakfast. Pinkie hadn't wanted to get up from the adorable sight before her, the lavender mare had curled up into the pink barrel the night before; so Twilight woke to a large smile and nuzzle for being so cute, which was a rather nice way to get up after all.




At the breakfast table, Spike was curious as to how the date went; something that caused Twilight to blush and glance away in embarrassment. Pinkie stepped in before Twilight could say anything and grinned at the young drake.

“It was great! We had lots of fun and Twilight made a delicious supper and everything!” Spike shook his head in amusement at the rapid answer and set the table for three.

“That's nice... What are you doing today?” Twilight once again blushed in embarrassment and rubbed her hooves together, making Spike raise a curious brow.

“We're going to be making a Super Secret Laboratory! But don't tell anyone, ok?” Pinkie leaned conspiringly towards the youngster who was surprised at their plans for the day.

“Ohkay.... Twilight, are you guys going to, uh, make a secret laboratory?” Twilight sighed and sat up straight.

“Yes Spike, we are going to visit somepony about making a secret laboratory.” Spike remained silent at the flatly stated fact and could only watch in awe as the two mares left the tree house on their way to find a tinker pony.


They made their way through town and Twilight was surprised to see the very nondescript store with a large store front window with various clocks and spinning gears and objects that didn't seem to have an actual purpose.

“Hellloooo in there!” The pink mare hopped inside without a second thought with the lavender one following behind curiously, looking at the various gadgets.

“Hello there Pinkie Pie; what can I do for you today?” A brown with dark brown mane and tail earth pony stepped out from the back and trotted up to the two mares with a pleasant smile on his face.

“Hey Time Turner! This is Twilight Sparkle and we need your help!” The stallion dipped his head in recognition and greeting to the lavender mare who smiled back while keeping an eye on her marefriend beside her who had started to investigate one of the nearby clocks.

“I have seen Ms. Sparkle around, it is a pleasure to finally meet you. What kind of help do you need today?” Turner looked from the lavender mare to the pink one as he could sense Pinkie had another over the top plan for him to try and do.

“You can call me Twilight, and we were wondering if you could help us make an underground laboratory that is 'bigger than it appears to be from the outside'.” Turner could feel the quotation marks in the sentence and smirked at the almost disbelieving mare.

“Of course I can! It's a specialty of the Turner Clan; time and space dimension configuration. Where would this 'underground laboratory' be located?” Pinkie hopped in place as she grinned at Twilight's slight confusion of what the Turner Clan can do before answering the stallion's question.

“It's going to be next to Twilight's secret underground laboratory, which is under the library! We haven't made it yet and so we came to YOU for help.” Time Turner smiled at the confidence Pinkie had in his abilities and nodded his consent.

“Of course I'll help! Let me inspect the area and make a few plans and then we'll be on our way.” Pinkie clapped her hooves in joy while Twilight merely blinked at how quickly everything was moving along.


Before long the trio of ponies were next to the library and Time Turner was surveying the land as well as consulting a circular gadget that seemed to indicate the possibility of what Pinkie wanted to try and do.

“How's it look Doctor?” Pinkie bounced around the two others while Twilight gave the brown stallion a confused look.

“Doctor?” Turner gave the lavender a small smile before turning back to the device in his hoof.

“Some of the locals call me 'Doctor' because I fix clocks, almost like how a doctor would help ponies get better.” As Time Turner waved to his hour glass cutie mark to help emphasize his point, Twilight filed away this new information before also looking to the odd device.

“I see... So tell me, Doctor, is it possible to make a laboratory that is bigger on the inside in this location?” Turner smirked at the remark and nickname before nodding while flipping the device to close the top.

“Indeed it is possible and something I would be proud to help with. I should be done with the whole project within a few days; I'll need to speak with Pinkie Pie about what it is she wants in her lab however...” Twilight followed the stallion close enough to hear him mutter to himself.

“All three are in place... Soon, soon it shall be done! I must finish this quickly and return to working on her....” Before the unicorn could ask him who ‘she’ was, he went a little faster to catch the hyper mare before she did another circuit of bounces around the two ponies.

“Come Pinkie, we must discuss what it is you would want in your secret laboratory...” With the excited mare in two, the brown earth pony lead the way back to his store to discuss the plans; Twilight followed close by in order to know what was going on and to make sure that Pinkie was indeed pleased with the whole thing, which was the whole point in the first place.

As the lavender mare watched the party planner started to jabber on about what would be needed and Twilight couldn't help but smile as well; her attempt at making their latest date and month anniversary a more memorable event was working so far, and that was all that mattered.

Author's Note:

Again, let me know of anything missed by message or comment.