• Published 13th Mar 2012
  • 1,265 Views, 15 Comments

The Elements of Unity - Gremlin Grenade



Master Plan, a mysterious and cunning soldier, plots to start a revolution against the royal sisters

  • ...
5
 15
 1,265

Shadows of the Past

[Though we determine the fate of our own future, it is the past we can never escape. Lives we leave behind don’t just disappear, and one’s worst mistakes will always catch up with him. Whatever our reasons, whatever our doubt, we all must face the shadows of the past.]

As they looked over their collective pool, the strangers to Ponyville quickly came to a stark realization, “Kataro has all of our money.”

Master Plan grimaced as he realized the remains of their funds were not enough for the three of them to stay another night in the motel. Master Plan had given the money to their zebra companion as a gesture of trust (despite the eccentric purchases Kataro had made already), he wanted everypony to feel equally responsible during their operation. He had a general idea of where Kataro was headed, but he knew enough about the Everfree forest to avoid it at night; he wouldn’t even condone Kataro venturing into the forest had the zebra not lived in a similar environment.

As the group looked over their funds, their new friends were conversing amongst themselves, when they found the strangers facing them, embarrassed but still stern.

“We have a bit of an issue,” Master Plan spoke up, doing his best to hide in his embarrassment. “We seem to lack any sort of sleeping arrangements.”

Pinkie was quick to find the hole in their logic. “Hey, didn’t you guys stay at that motel this morning?”

This only worsened their feelings, however. “Yes, but it seems our other companion was the one carrying the money.”

The six mares looked to one another, concerned, but eager to help. As they thought of how to resolve the issue, Steel Hoof stepped forward. “I will sleep in the barn, if that is alright.”

Applejack’s ears fell back sympathetically, “Aw, sugarcube, you don’t have to do that. Wouldn’t you rather sleep in a proper house?”

“The barn will be fine, it is like my own in Stalliongrad. I slept there many nights as colt, it is not so bad.” Applejack still felt badly about it, but she seemed satisfied enough.

The gesture had gotten the rest of the group involved. “Royal, darling, you can stay with me and my sister, Sweetie Bell.” Rarity spoke up, surprisingly eager to help.

The others looked amongst themselves, trying to discern what to do with their last visitor. Fluttershy had the accommodations, though she was secretly afraid Plan’s appearance would frighten some of the smaller animals. Rainbow Dash was a very independent mare, and even if Master Plan was capable of staying in Cloudsdale, she wouldn’t be the most gracious host. Twilight could see her friends’ unease at the situation, and decided to step up for everypony. “I.. guess you could stay with me.” She was embarrassed at her hesitation, but it didn’t bother Master Plan, it was already a warmer welcome than he had expected, and he smiled at the gesture.

As each of the parties headed their separate ways, Master Plan turned to Twilight. “Thank you, Twilight Sparkle.”

She had already eased up and returned the grin, “Hey, we’re friends now, right? It’s what friends do!”
===============================================================================================

The Everfree forest was thick, damp, and dangerous, but Kataro navigated the woods with ease. While zebra villages do not often lie on the same cleared paths pony towns do, a zebra does leave a sort of trail that can be tracked by their own kin. Brush and twigs are cleared just enough for their nimble legs to cross without effort, and certain scents and tracks can be found. Poisonous flora, such as poison joke, may lie on the path to a zebra home, to ward off wild animals and unwelcome guests.

As Kataro waded his way through the woods, thoughts of his past raced through his mind. The discovery of his people by the ponies, their induction into the Equestrian Empire. He remembered how his people had suffered, neglected by the god-princess of Equestria. In the distance, he saw the glow of candles inside Zecora’s hut, and a sinister grin curled across his face.

Zecora was almost always in her hut brewing the odd potion for the ponies of Ponyville, but it was rare she got any visitors. When she did, it was almost exclusively Twilight Sparkle or little Applebloom. But a zebra’s senses are very acute, and she could distinguish almost immediately that the hoof beats entering her hut were not a usual visitor.

Without turning around, she greeted the visitor, “It seems I have somepony new, just a moment, and I’ll be with you.”

The voice that responded was deep and warm, but it put a chill down Zecora’s spine, “Your guest, Zecora, is not ‘somepony,’ but, I think, you already know me.”

Zecora spun around cautiously, her face a mixture of fear and anger. “Your home is so very far away, so why do seek me out today?”

Kataro remained calm, however, as he spoke, “I have travelled very far, it’s true, but you deserve your traitor’s due.”
===============================================================================================
The Ponyville library was very different from any Master Plan had been in before. Though it was much smaller than most libraries, being in a hollowed-out tree made much of its size dependent on its height. He could see Twilight’s sleeping accommodations from where he stood, next to a large telescope jutting out over the balcony.

“Hey Twilight, who’s this guy?” Master Plan’s attention was drawn to the young purple dragon that had just come from the basement.

“Spike, I want you to meet Master Plan. He’s new to Ponyville and I offered for him to stay with us for a while.” Surprisingly enough, Spike was hardly bothered by this, too much of his time was spent around females and he was more than happy to hang out with some of his gender.

Master Plan was also intrigued by Spike himself. “A dragon?” Spike noticed that he was one of the first ponies he met to not automatically include the word “baby.” “How do you get your hooves on something like that?” Spike wasn’t too keen on being talked about like an object, but he did feel respected by this stranger all the same.

“I had to hatch him, to get into Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns!” whenever Twilight talked about the school, she would beam with pride, and this was no different. She led her guest upstairs, to show him where he would be sleeping. “I have an extra bed up here, but I haven’t gotten to use since Applejack and Rarity came over for a sleepover!” Twilight sounded surprised that something so large would be left unused for so long.

“You still haven’t told me what happened that night, Twi,” Spike grumbled.

“Sorry, Spike, but what happens at a slumber party, stays at a slumber party,” Twilight giggled.

“Even if it ends with a tree through the window? I spent the entire day cleaning pine needles!”

Twilight gave him a scowl before tuning cheerily back to Master Plan. “So, make yourself at home, and if there’s anything you need, just let Spike or myself know, Master!” She paused for a second before they both blushed and looked away awkwardly. “I didn’t mean-“

“-My friends call me… just call me Plan.”It was partially made up; Master Plan had plenty of companions, associates, and compatriots… not a lot of friends. Besides, most ponies always called him by his full name. “Anyway, would you like it if I moved the bed downstairs?”

“Why would you do that?”

“Oh, well, I just don’t want to intrude.” In reality, he was concerned that she would notice the collection of scars he acquired over his journeys, some of which were still quite fresh.

“Oh, don’t worry about it; you’re not intruding at all! Besides, sometimes my studies downstairs get pretty late into the night, and I wouldn’t want to wake you up.” It seemed that he was stuck as it was. He contemplated sleeping in his clothes, something he was used to doing at this point, but he was worried that may even seem more suspicious.

And there was another issue; if he removed his coat, it was likely that Twilight wouldn’t say anything, trying to be the best host possible, but he imagined anypony, especially a unicorn such as herself, would become curious about the scar around his horn. That was something he was not prepared to explain yet, and he had to think of a reason to cover his head.

It turned out to hardly be an issue, however, for as soon as he started to remove his coat Twilight looked away. Obviously most ponies don’t normally wear clothes, and their coats are enough to cover their privacy, but watching a pony who does wear clothes remove them always felt… inappropriate. It was even more so now, seeing as not many of the friends Twilight spends time with are stallions. “Perhaps you should…” she started, but she felt even more embarrassed of asking of her guest for such a silly reason.

Spike, on the other hand, had no such problem, and he could tell when Twilight was in distress. “Hey, do you mind doing that downstairs?”

Master Plan, unlike Spike, had genuinely not noticed Twilight’s embarrassment, and was surprised to hear this from her assistant. He looked to Twilight, who turned away in embarrassment, and back to Spike. “Sorry, I’ll just leave this on.” Twilight had unwittingly given him the out he needed.

Master Plan was the first to go to sleep, even after getting a few hours’ rest at the motel earlier, he had only gotten a few hours of sleep each day for almost a month. Though he was nearby, Spike used this relative privacy to ask Twilight about her earlier behavior. “So Twi, do you like this guy?”

Twilight was blissfully unaware of Spike’s context. “Well, I guess so. I mean, he only just got here, but he seems friendly enough.”

Spike pressed his palm to his face, “no, I mean do you like him?”

Twilight’s face turned a much redder shade of purple. “Spike! How could you say such a thing?”

“Well, it’s just you’ve been acting all weird around him,” Spike replied casually.

“Weird? I’ve been acting weird?” Twilight was taken aback by his accusations.

“Well, yeah. You were all bashful and stuff.” Spike was starting to feel like Twilight was backing him into a corner, but he was always the type to speak his mind.

“Spike!” Twilight shout-whispered, “our guest is sleeping right over there! I will not have this conversation with you!”

“Whatever, mom!” Spike retorted, “sheesh!”

He went off to bed himself while Twilight trotted over to the window, gazing into the stars. While she did have to admit having a stallion in her home was a little awkward, she had honestly not thought about her guest in that way, at not until Spike suggested it. Still, there was something strange about this Master Plan. This was obvious, his dress, his mannerisms, his chilling voice, but there was something else about him that Twilight couldn’t put her hoof on. As though… she already knew him.
===============================================================================================
With each step Kataro took forward, Zecora took one backwards step. He slinked in towards her, like a feral cat approaching its prey, his eyes narrowed in a state of vengeful anger. Zecora did her best to hid her fear, but she was uncertain of what to expect of this specter of her past.

“I know you see my actions as treason, but we still have time to reason,” Zecora bargained, hoping to stave off any violence.

“And what reasons could you have had, to betray your native land?" Kataro’s anger grew with every word spoken.

“I did nothing to cause such strife! I only wanted my own life!” Zecora held her ground, desperate to reason with Kataro.

“You consorted with the pony spies! To this day they tell you lies!”

“My friend, you know I am no fool, and I am not the ponies’ tool!” Though she still feared Kataro, Zecora was insulted by his accusations, and her own anger was growing as well. “They mean our kind no real harm, they only live to work and farm!”

“Yet every day the ponies gain, our homeland suffers greater pain! They take and steal what is ours, as they grow fat in their white towers!”

“They do not know what pain they bring, the common folk just laugh and sing!”

“And while they sing our people die, because of the sun goddess’ lie! Tell me, Zecora dear, did they not meet you with fear?”

Zecora thought to the early months in Ponyville, when she was treated with fear and hatred. Despite how they initially treated her, though, she still knew that the ponies of Ponyville were good-hearted. “You cannot condemn all pony kind, most are warm in heart and mind.”

“You may believe their hearts are warm, but soon, they will bring a storm!”

Zecora was suddenly intrigued. A friend from the past had come to haunt her, perhaps she would now know why. “What is this storm, of which you speak, that the ponies’ futures look so bleak?”

“This conflict has but one resolution; and that, of course, is revolution!” the grin returned to Kataro’s face, “but enough talk, my friend, for tonight you meet your end.” He lunged at Zecora, crashing into various clay pots as she darted out of the way. Zecora returned the attack with a swift buck towards Kataro’s head, narrowly missing in turn. Kataro picked up one of the ceremonial spears that adorned the hut; not a particularly effective weapon, but better than fighting unarmed.

Zecora returned the gesture by swiftly vacating the hut, luring Kataro into her familiar woods. He gave chase, spear in mouth, through the thickets and bushes. Zecora used the forest as her weapon as she evaded her pursuer, snapping back branches and darting around poisonous shrubs, but Kataro managed to mimic her path closely enough to avoid any serious damage.

Leaping forward, Kataro bounced off a nearby tree, creating a trajectory arc that landed him in front of Zecora’s path. He swung with his spear, which Zecora managed to deflect by putting a hoof up in defense. While it is usually nearly impossible for any equine creature to climb trees, the combination of their forest habitats and the adrenaline pumping through both zebra’s veins allowed them to do just that. Zecora raced up the side of a nearby tree, pulling off a branch and quickly fashioning it into a makeshift spear. Kataro did the same up the opposite tree, stopping on a branch in perfect lunging distance to Zecora. However, they were now both armed, and with relatively equivalent weapons. While Kataro trusted his superior martial skill to carry him through on the ground, the distance between the two was now far enough for Zecora to launch an effective counter-attack if he tried anything. The two continued their debate, their voices muffled by the weapons in their mouths.

“How can revolution start in Ponyville? These ponies do not have such will!” Zecora used her moment of respite to glean more information from her attacker.

Kataro ignored her questioning, instead trying to rouse her to his cause. “These ponies’ wills are so weak, yet they treated you like a freak!”

The comment wounded Zecora, “These ponies here are my friends! Because of their kindness, my wounds will mend!”

“Our foals starve and the elderly die, yet, you chose not to ask ‘why?’” Kataro cried out, succeeding in rousing his own anger more than Zecora’s.

“These ponies know not what they do, or they would surely help you!”

“Dear Zecora, you do not understand, it is not Ponyville that scarred our land! It is their goddess that I despise, and soon she will hear our war cries!” With that, Kataro lunged at his quarry, hoping the strength of his words was strong enough to weaken her will. While he managed to nick Zecora’s flank, the attack had also earned him a blunt blow to the neck, causing him to plummet from the trees. When he rose to his feet, Zecora was nowhere to be seen, but a bright trail of blood led deep into the woods.
===============================================================================================
Applejack woke up to the sound of crowing roosters, as she always did, right as the sun rose. As she went outside to get some fresh air, however, she realized there was something different about today. In the distance she could see a dark red stallion pulling a plow across the fields.She was surprised that Big Macintosh was already working the fields, he usually woke slightly after she did, and neither of them got to work before breakfast. She gave an awkward smile, confused at his change in behavior but pleased that he was apparently so eager to get to work. She shook her head before turning around to go back inside.

“Howdy.” There, at the table, was her older brother, getting himself a hay breakfast.

“Hold up, now,” Applejack turned her head back and forth between the window and her brother, “that’s not you out on the field?”

Big Macintosh causally walked over to the window and stared out for a moment, before turning to his sister. “Nope,” he replied, as though it was somehow less than obvious.

She thought for a moment before the realization struck her. She ran out to the fields where her guest was working, waving a fore leg in protest. “Hey, friend, you don’t have to work our farm!” Her frantic state left her slightly out of breath when she reached him. “Ah appreciate what you’re doing, but you can go right back to sleep if you want.”

Steel Hoof shook his head, “You let me sleep in barn. It is least I can do to repay.”

Applejack wasn’t having it. “Nuh-uh, you can sleep in the barn or you can help out on the farm, but no guest of mine will be havin’ it worse off than a member of the Apple family.”

Steel Hoof thought about this proposal for a moment, before replying calmly, “I will work on farm then.”

Applejack would honestly prefer that he chose neither, though she could tell a stallion his size would help them get their work done much quicker.

***

When Rarity awoke late in the morning, Royal Valor was nowhere to be seen. The two of them had decided to share a bed during her visit (Rarity’s luxurious queen-sized bed was more than large enough for the both of them), but it had seemed Rarity’s guest had already awoken. She found Royal downstairs, sharing a morning cup of tea with Sweetie Bell.

“You don’t want to sleep in, dear? You don’t have anywhere you need to be, do you?” Rarity asked with some concern.

Royal Valor chuckled slightly, “No, my time as a guard has taught me to be up bright and early.”

Rarity was intrigued. “A guard? Oh, I didn’t know you were in the service!” She thought for a moment before adding, “If you don’t mind me asking, what are you and your… ‘friends’ doing here in Ponyville? It’s quite far from Trottingham, and an awful distance from Stalliongrad.”

Royal tried to avoid thinking about it as much as possible. We’re here to betray our country, she felt like saying, to kill our beloved sun goddess. Instead, she decided to change the subject. “This tea is splendid, I wasn’t aware that Ponyville tea was such high quality.”

Rarity whole-heartedly delved into the change of topic, “Oh, no no no, you see, I have my tea imported from Canterlot!”

Now this was a conversation two cultured ladies could engage in. “Really? Oh, but I must imagine that importing tea costs a good bit extra!”

“Indeed it does, but it is always worth the extra money for quality, I always say. Besides, the shop is doing quite well, and I just happen to have the extra bits on hoof. So, why not spend them?”

“Yeah! You should see some of the neat dresses Rarity made!” Sweetie Bell interjected. She paused awkwardly after the remark, before taking a dramatic sip of her tea, trying her best to fit in with these mares of high-society.

Rarity chuckled before turning back to her guest, “The store opens in a short while, so I’m afraid I have to prepare,” she looked at her sister, “Sweetie Bell, would like to show Miss Valor some of the dresses?”

Sweetie Bells eyes lit up at her chance to get involved. “Sure!” She gestured towards the back room, and the two of them entered the gallery while Rarity cleaned up.

It didn’t take Rarity long to clean up the boutique, and she finished her tea as she waited for her first customer. Her mind drifted to these recent events, and their peculiar visitors. She knew it was impolite to intrude on other’s business, but she couldn’t help but wonder what such a mishmash of ponies (and zebra) were doing in a place like Ponyville. The earth pony from Stalliongrad, and their zebra companion both seemed somewhat… dangerous. Royal Valor seemed nice enough, but she was (and possibly still is) a guard pony, meaning she was probably not a stranger to violence herself, especially with the turmoil in Trottingham these days. And that other frightening character… Rarity knew it was rude to even have such thoughts without getting to know somepony, but his very presence made her unsettled.

Rarity’s thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a ringing bell as someone entered the shop. Rarity exuded her canned greeting with a smile, “Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where the dresses are sheik, mystique, and magnifique.”

Her visitor was a cheerful off-white unicorn with a turquoise mane. She had exceptionally round features, making her appear as if she was just an overgrown filly. “Hello! It’s my first time in Ponyville and I heard I just had to get a wardrobe fixed up here!”

Rarity was happy to see that word of her work was continuing to spread. “Indeed it is! Come just this way and I can you fitted.” Rarity gestured over towards a group of mirrors, “and for what occasion are we dressing?”

“Oh, I just wanted something casual.” The unicorn stopped for a moment before elaborating, “Elegant, but casual.”

As Rarity fitted her customer, she engaged in her routine of small-talk, “You said this is your first time to Ponyville? If you don’t mind me asking, where are you from?”

“Oh, I’m from Canterlot!” It seemed Rarity’s time spent with the Canterlot elite had been paying off.

“Really? So I can assume that you are a mare of high society?” She didn’t want to abuse her opportunity, but this attempt at small-talk had suddenly become a gauge for the price tag.

Her customer’s smile dropped slightly at this, however. “No, my whole family works for the government, myself included.”

“Do you? Are you here on business?”

“Oh, no, I just heard how beautiful Ponyville is and I had to use my vacation time here!”

“Well, dear, I hope you enjoy your stay.” Rarity gave her guest a warming smile.

“Thank you. My name’s Cleric, by the way.”

“Rarity,” she returned the courtesy.

After taking a number of measurements, Rarity brought out a rack of various clothing items. “If you see anything you like, Cleric, don’t hesitate to speak up.” She magically sifted through the various clothing items, giving Cleric enough time to see each one. Nothing stood out in particular, and it seemed that she would go home empty-hoofed, however.

Suddenly, Rarity’s eyes lit up with excitement, “Ideeeeea!” she proclaimed with enthusiasm. She stepped into the back room, returning with a white vest and matching gardener’s hat. Cleric’s eyes lit up with approval, as she magically lifted the outfit and adorned herself with it.

“Oh, it’s excellent! Thank you, Miss Rarity.” She started to vacate the boutique, when Sweetie Bell and Royal Valor entered.

Rarity turned to the two, “Oh, girls, you’re back! I trust Sweetie gave you a satisfactory tour?”

Royal was slightly hesitant in her response, “Indeed, it was, uh, splendid!” In reality, she hardly got any information about the boutique out of Sweetie Bell; at the chance to actually help her sister, she had delved into little more than excited ramblings.

“I would like you to meet Miss Cleric; she’s also new to Ponyville!” Rarity turned to her newest customer with a grin. “Miss Valor her is from Trottingham, and it’s been a pleasure hosting her here!”

This caught Cleric’s attention, and, for a moment, there was an awkward silence. Finally Cleric was the one to speak up “Trottingham? I’ve heard things are quite hectic there.”

“They were, but they’ve been settling down recently,” Royal let out an uneasy grin.

“Well, that’s good to hear.” Cleric turned to Rarity, her usual cheer returning, “I hope to see you again before my vacation ends, Miss Rarity!”

“That would be wonderful, dear,” Rarity returned the attitude.

Shortly after Cleric left the store, Rarity’s ears perked up in alarm. “Oh goodness, I forgot I’m having lunch with the girls today!” She scrambled about her kitchen behind the boutique, gathering various picnic supplies. “I’m sorry I have to leave on such short notice,” she looked pleadingly at Royal Valor. As she was about to leave she turned back, however, “You are welcome to join us if you like,” she continued, eager to be the gracious host.

Royal perked up at the offer, but it was just then Master Plan entered the door. “Royal, we have some things to discuss.”

Royal Valor’s ears fell back. She knew this “operation” would not leave much time for fun, but she hadn’t anticipated Master Plan would be the type to keep a short leash. She turned back to Rarity, her eyes apologetic.

Rarity returned the look, before remarking, “It’s alright, dear. We’ll just to do this another time.”
==============================================================================================
Zecora momentarily slowed her pace, panting as she turned around. She had been running nonstop for hours, and trying all sorts of ways to lose her pursuer. The cut she received was superficial, but she knew that she could easily follow the trail she left behind were she in Kataro’s position. She stopped for a moment, breathing deeply, calming her mind. She heard the sounds of the forest around her, the rattling of insects and chirping of birds. She felt the warmth of the sun beating against her face, through the crevices in the trees. The warmth of sunlight cooled for a moment, though, and she saw above a flicker of movement. She pawed at the ground, leaning forward and readying her hind legs.

Kataro leaped down towards Zecora from above, meeting her bucking hind legs with his own fore hooves, and using the force to propel him into a back flip. Both zebras regained their balance and turned to face each other, kneeling low, ready to strike. The two paced around one another in a circle, keeping their keen eyes open for any moment of hesitation. Zecora was the first to see such hesitation, and lunged ferociously toward her attacker.

His feint succeeding, Kataro took advantage of Zecora’s brash attack, crashing his skull hard into the side of her face. Zecora tumbled to the ground, before being pinned to the ground by her attacker. “I know, Kataro, of your pain, but you cannot end Celestia’s reign!”

“The sun tyrant’s crimes call for blood, and soon, these streets will flood!” Kataro’s eyes were still seething with anger, but Zecora could also see a sadness not present earlier.

“These ponies’ lives are simple and poor, their timid hearts cannot take war!”

“The war, my friend, is already here, now is not the time for fear.” Kataro’s eyes grew cold as he spoke, a somber pain found in his voice. The two zebras stared into one another’s eyes for a moment, each lost in the flood of events. Each of Kataro’s words weighed heavy on Zecora, as she felt increasingly like an ant trying to stop the tide of a flood. A solitary tear streaked down her face as she became lost in the past.


Finally Kataro spoke, his pain heavy in his voice, “You and I were once good friends. I hope, soon, we can be so again.”

Zecora closed her eyes, preparing herself for the fate that awaited her.

End Chapter 6