• Published 15th Dec 2013
  • 1,917 Views, 34 Comments

Lost in Space - Sergeant Pepperton



For the first time in thousands of years since Princess Luna established a colony for her Children of the Night, Princess Luna plans to visit them once again. The catch? It's half-way across the galaxy, and it may not be easy to get home.

  • ...
6
 34
 1,917

Prologue - Children of the Night

"I still remember my grandfather's story as if it was yesterday. After Discord was defeated, not much of Equestria was left to salvage. Still, the two brave ones who stood up for us all ruled Equestria from that day forth..."

From atop a brilliant, marble tower, one that seemed content to pierce the heavens, two alicorns, one white, one blue, gazed over a valley of small, desolate hovels.

"How long, my sister?" the smaller asked.

The larger didn't even bother to turn. "Hm? What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean... why does it seem like the recovery should have ended ages ago?"

The older closed her eyes, before slowly stating:

"Our... battle with Discord had more repercussions than meets the eye. We... have wounded the land. You know this." She glanced at Luna curiously. "You do not blame yourself, do you? We did what we had to..."

"No, I don't," the young one gulped audibly. "Yet... there is nothing we can do? We defeated the angel of chaos! We are supposed to be 'gods'. Yet..."

The other slowly nodded.. "We can only wait until the magics that taint the land dissipate..."

The younger took a deep breath, gazing upon them. "Yet... there may be a solution starring us in the face."

"One day, the younger one, saddened by her daily struggles, proposed to form a new colony - where all of us would grow strong and happy..."

The elder alicorn shook her head.

"Luna... I'm sorry, but you knew what my answer was before you even stepped into the throne room," the older said, not gazing at her sister as she filed through a series of reports. "We have gone over this time and time again - even if the lands beyond Equestria weren't just as tainted, they already have owners. We do not have the means to protect any colonists from any..." She waved a hoof about. "Opportunistic neighbors or natives. Then - there is the matter of our own kingdom..."

"Yet the older pony forbade it, citing reason after reason why it could not be done..."

"Yet you are forgetting something, Celestia..." Luna grinned, almost as if expecting this. "The artifact. The one we discovered when searching for the Tree of Harmony..."

Celestia turned towards her, raising an eyebrow. "Is dormant, is it not?"

Luna smiled slightly... sheepishly, almost. "Er... perhaps it was dormant..."

"What are you saying?" Celestia said, her voice rising. "You... you didn't meddle with it, did you? I specifically told you not to meddle with it!"

"No!" Princess Luna said defensively, before simpering slightly. "Well... not without Starswirl's instruction, of course..."

Celestia's eyes flared. "Luna! I can't believe you - and Starswirl, for that matter!"

"Dearest Sister..." Luna whispered. "Do not blame him... it took much convincing. Only once I showed it to him did I manage to... coerce him..."

Princess Celestia's disgruntlement turned to curiosity. "How... did you do such a thing? Starswirl's as stubborn as a hibernating dragon!"

"I thought it might interest you," Luna giggled.

She nearly face-hoofed. "Ugh..."

"Buuuut - for your information, I didn't do anything. It was... the artifact."

Princess Celestia furrowed her brow. "B-But..."

"Come, it's probably best I showed you," Luna smiled. "I suppose I just... 'whispered' the right thing to it."

"Hiding beneath an ancient forest, eerily close to where the Tree of Harmony stood sentinel, another ancient mystery slumbered. That was until our dear mother awakened it..."

Two alicorns and an old, though stern unicorn stood in awe before a blue, glowing, stwirling portal. It was contained within a circle of strange, definitely artificial crafted rock, standing upright. A ferocious wind whipped from it, and along with it a light rain that flew into the faces of the trio.

"Starswirl, what in the world happened?!" Celestia cried.

"I don't know how she did it!" the older shouted over the wind. "But she did it! All it took was a touch from her!"

She snapped her sister's way. "Ugh - Luuuuna!"

"I swear I did nothing magically!" Luna shouted. "The artifact was slumbering when I arrived!"

"Until you touched it!" Starswirl growled. "After I told you not to touch it!"

"I thought you said you weren't going tell her!" Luna squeaked.

"And you said you wouldn't touch the blasted thing! That evens the score!" he growled. "I've been here nearly a week trying to make sure this damned thing isn't going to be a danger to Equestria!" His voice then softened slightly. "Buuut... for that, I should probably thank you, Luna."

"W-What?!" the two alicorns cried.

"Though none could tell who had created the artifact, or where it had come from, Starswirl did figure one thing out..."

"This thing is a portal!" Starswirl called. "And a powerful one at that!"

"Have you been able to shut it off, though?!" Princess Celestia asked.

He shook his head, his cape billowing in the winds. "No! But I assure you the artifact is in no danger of doing us harm... well, at least on its own."

"That sounds a bit ominous," Luna gulped.

Starswirl rolled his eyes. "I was getting to that. I have no idea where the damned thing goes to, only that it goes somewhere fairly distant, and who knows what could lie on the other side? I believe right now wherever it leads is getting a bit of a rainstorm, as you can see... and feel, and con-found-it let us step out of the portal's wind, already, shall we!?"

"I was hoping someone would say that," Celestia grumbled.

And the group did so. Out of the glowing light of the portal they stepped into a still damp, but not soaked section of the otherwise dark cave.

Starswirl took a deep breath, shaking some of the rain off his outfit. "Ah - that's a bit better. But yes... where was I....?"

"You were talking about where it goes," Celestia said anxiously, a bit of wariness in her tone.

"Ah, of course!" Starswirl nodded. "Focus your minds, girls. Concentrate on the movement of mana around you... just as I taught you. Can you feel it? It's sucking energy from the mana crystals in this cave at an exponential rate! It must be why it was placed here. That's how I know it has quite the range. I only have conjecture at this point as to the destination, however..."

"Your guesses are fairly good, dear teacher," Luna smiled. "Go on? Where do you think it leads?"

Starswirl shrugged, a slight smirk on his lips. "That they are, I suppose." He raised a hoof. "Though despite your flattery, I'm still irked with you for not following my instructions."

"B-But... nothing bad came of it!" Luna whined.

"The point is... it could of. What if it was possessed by dark magic? What if it had some sort of charge? You could be dead right now! And more importantly, if you were dead, I'd soon follow when your sister found out about it!" Starswirl growled.

Luna could barely hide her spite at Celestia's grin, though nonetheless, she still managed a single:

"S-Sorry..."

"Please. I know damned well you can't change your nature," Starswirl muttered. "But yes... very well. My theory is quite simple - I believe it is a means of transportation beyond the veil of our own heavens. I've been studying the ancient gylphs on it - I believe they're constellations!"

"What are you saying?" Luna blinked, utterly confused. "I... I thought you said this could take one to new lands?"

"There's more to it than that! Can't you feel it in your gut, Luna?!" Starswirl grinned. "I think I can. If I were to go on this feeling, and may I remind you that this is only a guess... I'd say this thing can be... pointed as you will, to a destination in the heavens, and that it can take one there. Perhaps there is something we can't see there. I've long thought that perhaps those what we call 'stars' may be something more... they give light, why not warmth like our sun? And what if... what if they orbited other worlds like our own does? Perhaps there are unicorns or magical creatures who control them there as well? There could be a million lives being lived beyond our sight! A trillion stories... all happening parallel to our own."

"This is an awfully big guess, Starswirl," Celestia said, raising her eyebrows.

"Ack! Think of it, though," he continued. "- The wind, the rain, the breathable air coming from it - it wasn't like this a few hours ago. There is weather on the other side! There is breathable air! And the constellations - when you touched one, Luna, it must have triggered something. What exactly that something is, I do not know. I do know, however, that the artifact is somehow linked to you. To both of you! I can feel its energy... it calls for you. Can't you feel it as well?"

"I... can feel something," Celestia said, a bit of surprise in her voice. "I'm not sure what, though."

Starswirl continued. "You are both princesses of the heavens, after all - of the constellations and the darkness and the light in what we call 'the great void'. It would make sense in a basic way, I suppose."

"But I have no knowledge of the artifact," Luna said.. "And this theory of yours... are other worlds even possible? H-How could they be? I can only..."

"My dear," Starswirl chuckled, gazing into her eyes. "I don't believe it is for us to know at this point. I do know, however, that the artifact is worthy of further study."

"Yes, as to how to turn it off," Princess Celestia sighed. "I believe I know what you were worried about earlier."

"Hmmm?" Luna grunted. "Oh, dearest sister, why must you now of all times be cynical? Think of the possibilities of this!"

"Your sister... does raise a point, Luna," Starswirl coughed. "If the portal does lead to other worlds, who knows who could be living there? Would they be friendly? Would they be foes? Would they think of us as nothing but playthings? We never did discover where Discord came from, after all..." He glanced at the portal. "I'm not saying anything matter-of-factually, but..."

A twinkle - a strange, ethereal twinkle came to Luna's eye. "But... what if nopony was?"

"Well..." Starswirl grumbled. "Then there would be nothing to worry about, I suppose."

"And that is where she got the idea. Entire worlds unaffected by the titanic battle that had occurred at home - saturated by the chaotic and dark magic used to fight it. One night, after Starswirl had finished his evening studies and had taken to slumber within the cave, she had opted to find out..."

"Alright," Luna said to herself, gulping as she gazed into the swirling portal before her - one thankfully not spewing wind and rain any longer, but a warm, summer breeze. Starswirl's snoring echoed through the cave. "It's just a silly portal. You have been in them before." She puffed out her chest in false-bravado. "You are the Princess of the Night, and bravery is required for the task! Owlbears and dragons - all fall before your hooves!"

Suddenly, however, she froze, eeping to herself. Starswirl was muttering something in his sleep.

"Hmmmm.... wah? Clover... don't you dare touch anything in my laboratory..."

"Oh no!" she squeaked.

Had Starswirl woken up? Was she about to scolded for her curiosity once again?

"Mph... just... don't eat all the potatoes again..." Starswirl muttered. "I really like potatoes, you know..."

And, to Luna's relief, he began to snore again.

Luna smiled to herself, before glancing fondly her mentor's way. "Do not worry, dear Starswirl, your potatoes shall rest soundly and secure... as well as yourself, I hope."

Then, she closed her eyes.

"Alright... on three..." She took a step closer, feeling the swirling blue material that engulfed the portal walls with her hoof. It was strangely like water, only a bit more thick.

"Huh... I wonder if this is drinkable?" she asked herself, before quickly shaking her head. "Ugh - I'm procrastinating out of fear! Let's do this! One... two..."

"Hm... what? LUNA?!" Starswirl called. "What are you doing?!"

"Three three three three three!" Luna cried, before darting into the portal. A terrific pop echoed in her ears, though she could have sworn she had heard his protests over it as she blinked out of existence for a brief second...

"WOAH!"

Before appearing in a flash on the other side of the portal... or more like being thrown out of it. She landed upon the ground in front of her with a brilliant thud.

"Our fair Luna had done it! Perhaps against her better judgement, yet it it was secured us our eventual colony. However, the world to where she traveled was not like her own in any way..."

Her eyes opened in awe, she stood in a beautiful twilight landscape of strange, dark soil. Scattered upon it were groups of an odd, purple plant-life which seemed to stretch across the ground like lilipads, probably only a hoof or so high. There were a few taller trees about, but this new land reminded her of nothing she had seen at home. It was not a desert, but it was not a jungle, either...

However, this oddity was nothing compared to what lay in the heavens. Stretching many times as vast as her own moon was the apparent 'moon' of this world, though it was unlike anything she had seen. It was made of twirling gases what intermingled and sped across a vast, beautiful, green surface. Around it were a pair of large, glistening rings which shimmered in her eyes. And as she stood there, behind the titan in the sky came a faint light... a star was peaking out from behind it, its light skewed in a thick atmosphere.

Was it... one of her stars? One so far away yet now... one so close. She felt its warmth bask over her. Its light caressed her very being.

She could feel more though... hear more. She fell into what seemed to be a trance, and that was when the star began to speak with her.

"Hello," it sang.

Luna smiled dreamily up at it. "Hello."

It was beautiful.

"Though Princess Luna did not know it then, she had just stepped onto a planet that was beyond star after star. So far away it could not be seen with the naked eye. Incalculable distances into the heavens. She returned to talk to Starswirl briefly, and after that, the two began to explore. They explored every nook and cranny within a mile of what we now call the Home Ring. The plants were edible. The air was breathable. Simple creatures hopped to and fro, yet none as intelligent as them. It was a new, unclaimed garden of life ready to be taken and cultivated. Taken by us..."

"Luna... you're sure about this?" Starswirl had spoken to her.

She had smiled his way. "They will be safe... and happy. A new world for them to live their lives in - removed from the suffering that spreads like a disease across our own."

Starswirl's eyes flickered in that odd, peculiar way they often did. "You learned well. A good deed..."

"Leads only to good ends..." she finished for him, grinning pridefully.

"One dark, cloudy night she gathered us... young ones only ten years old. Perhaps she thought it would make our new lives fresh - completely isolated from those that could... perhaps not intentionally, but possibly still contaminate us with their cynical points of view. She wanted us to be happy, not to simply exist... So she took us to the portal and explained what would happen. She insisted we would be happy on the other since. She even showed us an image of it with her magic."

We were scared... confused. But we were ready for a change.

However, we would not be going alone."

"You are not coming with us, Luna! For the last time!" Starswirl growled, nearly five-hundred young foals situated around him and a yellow, sharp-looking unicorn mare. "Clover, help me talk some sense into her..."

"B-But-" Luna squeaked.

"It would be... unwise," she said, smiling sadly her way. "Think of your sister. You'd be leaving her alone for so long..."

"B-But... I can always come back!" Luna protested, a lump in her throat.

"Not for many years if the portal works as we think it does," Starswirl said softly. "Perhaps a century for it to fully charge. Do you really wish for such a reprieve?"

Luna closed her eyes, before turning away from him, a few tears moistening her eyes. Then, a soft hoof touched her shoulder.

"This is not goodbye, my student," Starswirl said calmly. "Clover and I have lived for many cycles, over eight-hundred now. We will make our years last enough to see you again. Until then - we shall watch over your flock."

"Age-reduction magic is my specialty," Clover winked.

"But... are you sure you're up for this, Starswirl? Clover the Clever?" Luna gulped.

He merely smiled. "The two of us have lived on this world for many years. We have seen its wonders, its horrors. We are ready to move on, aren't we, my daughter?"

"Indeed," she said solemnly. "It's time for the greatest adventure of all. And you can rest easy knowing that if , heaven forbid, something terrible were to happen to this world... we shall carry on in your night."

"Well spoken," Starswirl nodded.

Luna's throat began to swell again.

"Princess Luna..." one of the foals said, tugging against her mane.. "W-Why are you still so sad?"

"N-Nothing, young one..." she gulped. "I just... are you sure you are ready for this?"

"You gave us all a choice," another spoke, smiling. "We're taking it."

"New lives... new friends... a whole world for our own..." another spoke.

"Only grumpy ole Starswirl there to boss us around!"

"Ugh..." he moaned.

The first one then hugged her legs. "Thank you for this, Princess Luna. You're my favorite princess ever."

Luna's smile broke through the streams running down her face.

"Come now, children!" Starswirl called. "We need to get a move on. The nights are long on this new world! Warm, but long..."

"Huh?" one of the foals blinked.

"I think what he means to say," Clover smirked. "Is 'follow the leader'." And Clover turned towards Luna one last time. "See you in time, my friend. Live long and prosper."

"To you as well," Luna managed to squeak.

They hugged each other tight, and a moment later, Clover was gone. The foals soon followed her, one by one disappearing in flashes of light into the Home Ring, chatting excitedly on the way.

"Ooooo, I can't wait to start building my own house!"

"Pffft - you better hope I help you hammer the nails in, then."

"Hey, shut up! I only smashed my hoof once!"

"And it was red for a week! How big was that nail, anyway?"

Luna gazed at Starswirl with a smirk.

"You didn't tell them we already crafted homes for them?" she said. "The town we made?"

Starswirl grunted, knowing exactly what she was on to. "Well... oh damnit, I may be an old, grouchy stallion but I can still surprise a bunch of young ones once and a while can't I? Bleh! Have you so soon forgotten your two-hundreth birthday present I constructed for you?"

"That brilliant underground minecart ride?" Luna beamed.

"Ah, glad your memory isn't as bad as mine, then," Starswirl chuckled, Luna joining in as well.

"Never change, my dear mentor," Luna smiled at him. "Never change."

He rolled his eyes. "I can only hope you'll still be a pain in the flank the next time we meet as well." He then nodded towards the gateway. "This would have never happened otherwise."

"No it wouldn't have," Luna whispered, glancing downward. "It is quite the view on the other side, isn't it?"

"Indeed," Starswirl whispered back. Then... his arms wrapped around her before gripping her in a fatherly hug. "I want you to do me a favor, though... before I leave."

Luna smiled his way. "Anything."

"Promise me... you'll take care and your sister," Starswirl said silently. "She's not as tough as she acts, you know."

Luna quickly nodded. "Of course I will-"

Starswirl raised a hoof, cutting her off. "And most importantly, take care of yourself," he said, glancing at her with those fatherly eyes of his. "Don't kick yourself for what's happened."

And his eyes showed what his words were about to tell her.

"You did good, child. You did good. I'm... proud of you."

Luna merely stood - awestruck - for a second. Starswirled rarely ever opened up like this...

"T-Thank you. I'm... really going to miss you," Luna said, swallowing hard, her eyes again tearing up.

"Hehe, guess I'm not such a grouchy old bastard after all, am I?" he grinned, causing Luna to give a painful laugh.

The two stood in silence for a brief second, before a distant voice echoed through the portal:

"Starswirl! It's beginning to lose energy!"

"Well then," he said, composing himself, holding his staff firm, and adjusting a few bags at his side. "Never was good at this part..."

"How about we don't say anything?" Luna smiled. "All the less cliche."

He chuckled yet again. "That's my girl." He peered into her eyes once again. "But not all cliches are bad, my dear. And because of that, I may as well say it..."

He swallowed painfully.

"G-Goodbye."

Luna took a deep breath.

"Goodbye, Starswirl the Bearded."

And with one last wave, a friendly odd, and perhaps an ounce of sorrow, he stepped into the portal.

A second later, it shut off for the last time in a thousand years.


On a lonely, twilight-basked rock hanging high above a field of purple trees and plants, a young filly sat in the light of the brilliant gas giant her world orbited, writing in a small journal.

"Even if she did not return as she said she would," the filly said to herself. "I have hope that it was not the fault of her own. For whatever fate she suffered, I wish could know how much we've grown. How much we've reached out into the stars..."

As she spoke, a trio of black rectangular-like objects took off into the night, funnels on their rears blazing a beautiful blue.

"We are learning more about them every day. Your stars, that is. For we will always be your Children of the-"

Suddenly, a new ship appeared in the blackness of space. It was far above the clouds, far above everything, yet its size dwarfed anything her people had in orbit...

The filly dropped the strange, laser-producing writing utensil she held, before gazing at it with a mixture of fear and awe. And in the skies above her world, a brilliant battle of flashes and fire began its long, long dance.

They were under attack... but by who?

The filly could only say one thing, almost unknowingly finishing what she had previously been saying, though no longer with confidence and pride, but with concern...

"N-Night?"