• Published 14th Mar 2012
  • 3,424 Views, 226 Comments

Spring's Song - 71NYL-5CR4TCH



5 years after the epilogue of 'Winter's Howl' we follow the story of Rainstorm

  • ...
7
 226
 3,424

Chapter 5: It's not really...so much of a DATE as...uh

Rainstorm trotted out of Vinyl's record store, the newest album of "Daft Pony" in mouth, and turned to Pumpkin, trotting along side him. An older record of "The Beach Colts" hovered over her head, surrounded by an orange-cream glow.

"Sm whm dm ym wamma df tfdmy?" Rainstorm asked intelligently.

Pumpkin giggled, before picking up Rainstorm's album in her magic as well, causing Rainstorm to release a *ptoo*. "Sorry, didn't quite catch that?"

"Heh, right, I asked what you wanted to do today." Rainstorm replied with a smile.

"Oh, well we can head back to Sugar Cube Corner and pop these onto Pinkie's record player...sound good?"

"Sure," Rainstorm smiled, "will Pinkie let us use it?"

"I dunno," Pumpkin shrugged, "she's probably inside a tree in the Everfree right now, thinking we're looking for her."

"Right. I sorta feel bad about that..." Rainstorm stayed silent for a moment, before deciding to clarify, "sorta."

"Yeah, me too, but otherwise she would have made us slave around in the kitchen all day, so I'm pretty over it."

Rainstorm turned to the mare next to him, "Think Pound ran home?" he asked.

"Nah, probably went...I dunno to the gym or something." Pumpkin shrugged, "He normally tries to stay out of the house."

"Oh ok. What are your parents up to?"

"They're actually in Canterlot for the weekend, some sort of 'Cake Festival!!' I don't know..."

"And you didn't want to go with them?" Rainstorm asked.

"Do you see a cake on my flank?" Pumpkin asked, pointing a hoof to her cutie mark.

Rainstorm turned and admired the flute magically printed on her flank. It was a simplistic, silver flute with a strand of purple musical notes trailing out of it. Rainstorm wondered how this came to be her special talent, it certainly wasn't her namesake. But then again, he didn't exactly fit the bill either. His ability to turn regular clouds into full storm clouds within an instant was a talent he'd recognized early in life, and a talent his parents we're very excited about. But it wasn't his special talent. It was just...something he could do.

"*AHEM*" Pumpkin exaggeratedly cleared her throat, "I think that was quite enough time to just say "no" there Romeo."

Rainstorm instantly felt a deep blush was over him as his eyes quickly shot away from Pumpkin's flank. "Sorry, sorry, I was just thinking about how our cutie marks don't really match our namesakes..."

Pumpkin giggled, "Oh, so you weren't checking out my flank?"

Rainstorm nodded, "Right," then blinked, "Uh, not that, you know, you have a bad flank or anything, I mean...it's great! I...oh Celestia..."

Pumpkin lightly punched Rainstorm in the shoulder, "Relax, I'm just messin' with you. Anyway, here we are! Sugar Cube Corner!"

Pumpkin pushed open the door to the shop, which was still dim from the lack of lights from within the shop. Pumpkin continued to walk into the store, and up the stairs to the second floor of the building. Rainstorm followed behind, his blush still hot on his cheeks.

Sweet Celestia that was awkward as buck! I can't believe she would think I was starring at her haunches like that! I mean it's not like... Rainstorm looked up the stairs to find his face literally mere inches from...that. Not like I...Oh...yeah...I could, uh...I could watch that.

Pumpkin finally pushed open the door to Pinkie's room and stepped inside, "Looks like no pony's home..."

"Good." Rainstorm replied with no thought.

"And why is that good?" Pumpkin asked, smiling and raising an eyebrow.

Rainstorm paniked mildly and felt a quiet blush sneak upon his cheeks, "No reason...just...is."

Pumpkin rosened a little herself, but quickly turned and began walking directly toward the phonograph on Pinkie's end table. She levitated it up, set it on the ground, and carefully removed the two records from their sleeves before turning back to her friend, "So, what do you think? Which should we listen to first?"

"Uh..." Rainstorm suddenly found himself admiring the mare before him in a somewhat...different light...which also came along with his brain bringing up a blatant 'File Not Found' message when asked any question.

"Hello? Equestria to Rainstorm? You there?" Pumpkin waved a hoof in front of the inert stallion before her.

Rainstorm shook his head vigorously before facing pumpkin again, "Yeah, sorry, spaced out. Uh, anythings fine. You decide."

Pumpkin shrugged, "Allright, Beach Colts it is."

Pumpkin magically turned on the record player, placed the record on the turntable and let the needle fall. The room soon became filled with the synchronized voices of colts, singing songs of days of fun in the sun, swimming on the beach, and chasing the fillies they desired.

"You never told me how you got into 'The Beach Colts', what do you like about them anyway?"

Pumpkin brought a hoof to her chin, "Well, I've always loved summer the most out of any season, and that's what all there songs are about. It helps take me think I'm on the beach instead of boring old Ponyville."

Rainstorm chuckled, "You are the exact opposite of my dad, hates summer, loves winter."

"Well his name is SNOWstorm..." Pumpkin commented.

"Heh, yeah."

The pair sat, in silence, laying on the floor, relaxing and simply listening to the happy, uplifting tunes coming from the bell of the record player. After a while, Rainstorm sprawled out on the floor and continued to listen to the music, closing his eyes. He always felt a sense of euphoria when relaxed the way he was. Simply the music, nothing else to worry about, to focus or think about, just music. Rainstorm heard some shifting beside him, and without even bothering to open his eyes he quickly deduced it was merely Pumpkin getting comfortable. Rainstorm shifted to lay on his side, taking the strain of the hardwood floor off of his spine. The sudden feeling of hot breath in his face caused his eyes to open, with the sight of Pumpkin, either asleed or relaxing directly next to him. At some point she had walked from the other side of the record player and laid herself down next to him. He could feel Pumpkin's warmth radiating off of her body, and listened to the gentle rise and fall of her breath.

Wow...she looks...really pretty when she sleeps...

Pound cake slammed open the door and trotted in with heavy hoof steps, rambling, "Oh thank Celestia, There you guys are! I ran out of the record store to get away from that horrible racket that Vinyl called music and...what are you doing?"

Pumpkin and Rainstorm both bolted upright, a rosy hugh adorning there faces, "Nothing! Just listening to the new album! That we got from Vinyl! For free! Hah, she's nice isn't she? She's a nice mare...Nice mare, yup." Rainstorm quickly stated.

Pound retreated a few steps, "Ok...chill dude sorry a barged in on your little date."

"Oh, heh, it's not really...so much of a date as...uh..." Rainstorm mumbled,

"Yeah, you should be!" Pumpkin interjected.

"What?" Pound and Rainstorm commented.

"I mean, jeeze, don't you know how to knock?" Pumpkin added with wavering resolve, "W-we could have been making out!"

"What?!" The two stallions asked simultaneously.

Now or never Pumpkin...

"You know, like this!" Pumpkin abruptly took hold of Rainstorms head and spun it to face her. Pumpkins eyes glistened with uncertainty as she looked into Rainstorm's, her heart racing in her chest. Now or never...

As she pressed her lips against Rainstorm's.