• Published 14th Mar 2012
  • 3,424 Views, 226 Comments

Spring's Song - 71NYL-5CR4TCH



5 years after the epilogue of 'Winter's Howl' we follow the story of Rainstorm

  • ...
7
 226
 3,424

Resolution

Rainstorm slowly retracted his hoof after he realized pumpkin wasn't stopping. SHe continued to sprint blindly down the street, her sobs still echoing in his ear.

I have to go after her.

He quickly knocked over his chair and leaped the fence out of the cafe patio, running after his best friend.

How could I hurt her like this?!

She's always been so dear to me...

And I got mad at her for what?

Damn it Rainstorm you bucked up big this time...

After a few minutes of pursuit Rainstorm quickly realized he wasn't catching up with her, and amongst the hustle and bustle of the little town, he had lost her in the crowd. Again and again he called for her, hoping to catch a glimpse of his best friend.

What have I done?

Pumpkin....I'm so sorry...

Rainstorm unfurled his wings and took to the sky, his eyes scanning the crowd. Only to come up dry again. The sun was setting and it would be night soon. And even in a little town like Ponyville...

She can't be out alone at night...

Rainstorm continued to search for hours. Every possible corner of his small hometown he could think of.

I hope she just went home...

But then Pinkie will have seen her and...

No. I have to apologize.

His rear legs kicked up and busted open the door to sugar cube, in a sense of needless dramatics.

"PUMPKIN!"

"NO! PINKIE!" The pink mare screamed as she burst from behind the counter. "Are you guys back already? That was fast!"

"No, I...I messed up. She ran off and now I can't find her..."

"Oh no...is she upset?"

"Y-yes...I really messed up, Pinkie, please have you seen her?"

"No...I haven't, but I know where she might have gone..."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pumpkin continued to sob as she stared into her reflection in the small, secluded pond just outside of Ponyville.

Why did I have to be such an idiot?

Of course he's my friend but...but now he just thinks I was just sizing him up

Stupid Starling and her stupid big mouth...

Pumpkin continued to stare at the pond. It's clear water reflecting the stars above like a glistening mirror.

It's dark out...

She let out a shiver

And cold...

Why didn't I just go home? Why did I have to come to this stupid pond? And just what the buck was I thinking when I just ran off like that?! Damn it Pumpkin you've been talking to him for years...Why was it suddenly so hard?

Why are feelings so hard...

Why is love so hard...




He's my best friend...




Why did I need anything more?

Pumpkins eyes grew heavy with exhaustion and emotion, but her mind continued to race.

Have I really ruined everything? Have I messed it all up?


Tears began to form in Pumpkin's eyes. She clenched her teeth, determined that she was NOT going to cry...not anymore....not here. But still the droplets collided with the surface of the pond, sending gentle ripples across it's surface.

"Why did I have have to loose him?" She wondered aloud.

"You didn't."

Pumpkin quickly whipped her head around to see who had replied. Rainstorm stood, smiling gently, and looking at her.

"You didn't loose anybody." He reassured as he sat next to her by the edge of the pond.

"But...but I...you just think I'm..." Pumpkin began to tear up again, but her protest were quickly met by Rainstorm's hoof on her lips.

"No. I don't know what I thought, or why I was so afraid, I just know that I'm not anymore."

"But if things don't work-"

"Hey," He interrupted with a smile, "they've been working for quite a few years now..."

"But it changes everything..."

"Like what?"

"I mean... it's not friendship anymore it's..."

"Deep, true passionate LLLOOOOOOVVVEE?"

Pumpkin snickered, "I was going to say 'a relationship'... but...I dunno, I guess?"

Rainstorm closed his eyes and took in a deep breath,

"Pumpkin, I've always loved you...I mean, we grew up together. You were always there for me. You're my BEST FRIEND...so when I started to...I dunno, look at mares that way, you weren't a possible marefriend, you were Pumpkin. Romance was new to me, and you weren't. I figured if the feeling was new, the pony had to be as well...looking back it seems so stupid..."

Rainstorm sighed and looked up to the night sky.

"I guess what I'm trying to say, is that you were so close you were practically a sister to me. I never even thought of you that way until...well until earlier. And it was new to me! It was exciting! But then I find out you've thought about me that way all along and-"

Pumpkin cut him off, "Rainstorm, I haven't always thought of you like that...sure, maybe sooner than you, but I've always been your friend. I always be your friend, first and foremost."

"I'm glad to hear it."

"And I love you too much to let you go too..."

Rainstorm smiled.

"So if you don't want us to be anything more than friends I-"

"Hey...it's definitely worth a shot, right?" Rainstorm smiled.

"I guess we'll find out soon enough," Pumpkin agreed.

"So let's just see..."

"What all this can be."

"What all we can be."

The pair looked up to the night sky and smiled, brilliant stars on an infinite canvas.

"We should probably get home, so Pinkie doesn't, you know..."

"Murder me with an axe?"

"I was going to say get to worried...Why would she murder you with an axe?!"

"Um...don't worry about."

"Well, c'mon, I know a shortcut."

"I know a shorter one. Hop on."

"Hop on? Like, on your back?"

"Yeah, c'mon, it'll be fun!" Rainstorm said with a grin.

"I don't know...I've never flown before...are you sure you can support both of us?"

"I'm the child of the fastest pegasus in the history of Equestria and...well, my dad, but still, I think I can handle it."

"If you say so..." Pumpkin murmured as she climbed on his back.

"Ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

"Hold on tight!"

And hold on tight she did. Squeezing his neck, and placing a gentle kiss on his cheek as Rainstorm's wing's unfurled and rocketed toward the sky.

The pair careened through the sky, lit by moonlight and the twinkle of a thousand stars. Pumpkin held close, closing her eyes as the sharp cold wind rocketed through her fur.

"You need to slow down!"

"SPEED UP?! OK! YOU GOT IT BABE!"

"WHAT NO I-"

Pumpkin's screams were almost unheard, the pair deafened by the rushing wind. Pumpkin dared to peek an eye open and what she saw was magnificent.

The whole of Ponyville rushing underneath them, flickering lights and cozy cabins all rushing by in a magnificent blur.

The rushing wind forced new tears from Pumpkin's eyes.

But something else was bringing forth the tears.

Joy.

Joy knowing that this...this crazy mash of emotions in history that would make up undoubtedly crazier relationship...

would work.

And Pumpkin smiled again as she held tighter to Rainstorm.

And she realized something amazing. She hadn't lost anything. She hadn't lost anypony.

There was nothing to be replaced.

Nothing was broken.

Not her heart and not her friendship.

Now, it was stronger than ever.

No mistakes, no wrongs...

Now...

Everything could be perfect.

There would be more tears...

but hopefully, and maybe, just maybe...

they'd be tears of joy.


Finally, she felt the winds begin to slow as Rainstorm started to land. She looked up, and sure enough, they were right in front of Sugar Cube Corner.

Where it all began...

Pumpkin crawled of Rainstorms back and glanced towards him.

"So...thanks for the ride..."

"Any time. It was fun...though let's face it, date probably could have gone better."

"I don't think so...I think it was perfect."

"So there's actually a chance this goofball could get you to go on another one?"

"Oh, undoubtedly."

"You're crazier than I thought Pumpkin."

"So I am."

"Well...I guess I should be getting home...I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Hold up a minute, you're forgetting something."

"I am?"

"This."

Pumpkin grabbed his head between her hooves and smiled...

"I expect a goodnight-kiss..."

And Rainstorm was more than happy to oblige.

Author's Note:

It's done! It's over! Glarblarghl I was tired of leaving this stupid thing on hiatus anyway.

Comments ( 13 )

Such a sweet chapter! :heart:

Welp, I cried.
I had to go back a chapter to remember what was going on (fuck you and your cliffhangers, by the way.)
But I cried.
But then I smiled.
Gimme another story :3

SEQUAL TO A SEQUAL PLZ MAKE IT HAPPEN

Wow, I forgot all about this.

CJN

Dude make another sequel!

Hehehe, you know what the best part of these necro-posts are? I get to use this.
stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1545168/its-alive-o.gif
Also, I had to re-read story to remember. Must say it read pretty cliche just now. Still, good ending. No real complaints.

Why do I think the author had to go back and reread all the chapters over again to remember WTF was going on

Tri-quel?

Liked every bit!

Wait... it's over already? Huh. Was expecting a little bit... more.

Login or register to comment