• Published 12th Dec 2013
  • 1,888 Views, 152 Comments

My Little Investigations: The Gemstone Godfather - Metool Bard



Some jerk is trying to shake me down for gems, but he won't tell me who the buck he is. Why me of all ponies? I have no idea.

  • ...
2
 152
 1,888

Misery Loves Company

July 12, 7:30 AM
Ponyville
Golden Harvest's House
***

"Ammy~."

I awoke to the sound of Derpy's voice coupled with a gentle prodding from her hoof. With a mumble, I tried to go back to sleep. I realize that I have a lot of important things to do today, but I spent the majority of the night tossing and turning. I just wasn't ready to get up yet.

"Mmph. Five more minutes," I murmured.

"Ammy, you know what I always say. The early pony gets the muffin," said Derpy. "And speaking of muffins, I made some for you today. Muffins are good brain food, y'know."

"That's nice and all, Mom. But I'll get up when I'm..."

"It's cappuccino~. Your favorite~."

My stomach rumbled a bit, and I sighed in defeat.

"You fight dirty, Mom," I grumbled half-jokingly, pulling myself out of bed. "Is Dinky up yet?"

"Nope," said Derpy, dipping her voice. "I'm gonna wake her up later, but first, I want to talk to you about her."

"What do you mean?" I asked as we made our way downstairs.

"Well, have you told her everything yet?"

I sighed. "No, I haven't. I told you before, I want to protect her. She shouldn't be a part of this."

"I see where you're coming from, Ammy. But you can't hide things from her forever," said Derpy. "That being said, I don't think we should take her to the Diamond Dogs."

"Agreed," I said as we sat down for breakfast. "So, what? Should we give her something to do while we're sleuthing? She already knows I'm investigating."

"Well, isn't Karat coming back today?" asked Derpy. "Maybe you could have her ask him some questions."

I knitted my brow. "I guess, but what exactly would he know? When he saw the store in ruins, he was just as surprised as everypony else."

"It couldn't hurt to try," said Derpy with a shrug. "Besides, it's better than putting Dinky in harm's way with the Diamond Dogs."

I honestly couldn't agree more. My mom might be a kook, but when she's right, she's right.

"Alright, we'll go with that," I said, taking a bite out of my muffin.

"But that doesn't change the fact that you need to tell her everything," said Derpy sternly.

"Don't worry about that, Mom. I will," I said.

Derpy raised an eyebrow and gave me a look. I got the distinct impression that she didn't believe me.

"Honest, Mom. I'll tell her," I insisted. "I promise."

"Pinkie Promise?" said Derpy.

Oh sweet Celestia, not another one! I already have one Pinkie Promise hanging over my head; I don't need two!

"J-just let me handle it, okay?" I said defensively. "I-it's not gonna be easy for me. I don't wanna hurt her."

"I know, Ammy. But you'd be hurting her more if you just continued to lie," said Derpy, placing a hoof around my shoulder. "She loves you, Ammy. Just like I love you. Never forget that."

I gave Derpy a sad smile. "Trust me, Mom. I wouldn't be so worried about all this if I did forget that. I love you and Dinky, too. And I'm gonna make sure that this jerk doesn't hurt you anymore."

Derpy smiled back and nuzzled my cheek. "I'm glad you think that, Ammy," she said. "And I'll be more glad when I can see you truly smile again."

"Sparkler!"

My tender moment with Derpy was interrupted by Carrot Top walking into the dining room.

"Oh, hey Carrot Top. What's up?" I asked.

"I was just outside getting the paper when I found a note nailed to the door," said Carrot Top, giving me a small folded piece of paper. "It's apparently for you."

I had a good idea as to what this was. Using my magic, I took the note from Carrot Top and read it over.

Amethyst "Sparkler" Star:

You have four days left. Just a friendly reminder.

~Anonymous

Yep, just as I suspected. "Friendly reminder" my flank. Just reading that made me lose my appetite. How the hay does this schmuck know so much about me? He knows who my family is; where I work; where I live. Is he having some goon stalk me or something? And I know I'm being a broken record, but why me of all ponies? It's all very creepy, but it's also incredibly frustrating.

"What's wrong, Ammy?" asked Derpy.

Without a word, I showed the note to Derpy. Derpy closed her eyes, let out a sigh, and then gave me a small hug.

"It'll be okay, Ammy," she said softly. "Remember, we're all here to help you."

"Um, sorry, Derpy. But, I'm kinda out of the loop," said Carrot Top. "What's going on? Does it have to do with the jewelry store being destroyed yesterday?"

"Kinda," said Derpy. "I'll tell you more about it later. For now, let's just say that Ammy is having a hard time."

"Alright. I won't pry any further," said Carrot Top. "But just know that you can come to me if you need to, Sparkler. After all, I'm part of this family, too."

I smiled. "Thanks, Carrot Top. I'll keep that in mind," I said.

With a nod, Carrot Top walked off.

"So, I figure I'll get Dinky out of bed and then send her on her way, and then we'll go see the Diamond Dogs," said Derpy.

"Sounds like a plan," I said. "I'll meet you outside."

Derpy nodded and flew off upstairs. I sighed. Hopefully, Rover Redvest had enough clout to schedule a meeting with the infamous Sykes Silvervest. But even if he didn't manage to do that, I'd find a way to meet him. He was my only lead at this point besides the wackjob with the dragons. And as dangerous as he sounded, I had a feeling that he was going to be the safer lead to pursue. Hey, I'll take bad breath over fire breath any day.

***
July 12, 8:45 AM
Ponyville
Town Square
***

"So, you think Mr. Karat will know something?" asked Dinky.

"It wouldn't hurt to get his side of the story," I said. "Also, be sure to tell him that the Mayor is looking into things as well. I know he wanted me to tell Princess Twilight, but the Mayor has just as many recourses."

"I understand," said Dinky with a nod. "What will you be doing in the meantime?"

"Mom and I are gonna be following up on our own lead," I said. "We need to speak to the Diamond Dogs one more time."

"But, didn't you say that they didn't do it?" asked Dinky, tilting her head.

"We just want to make sure, Muffin," said Derpy. "Now, how about we meet up at Sugarcube Corner for lunch to go over what we found? My treat."

Dinky nodded. "Okay, Mama. I'll see you later, hopefully with some more clues."

With that, she donned her silly-looking hat, placed her bubble pipe in her mouth, and pranced off.

"I can't believe she kept that detective kit," I said.

"I can," said Derpy. "She wants to help you investigate, after all."

"I, guess I can't argue with that," I said with a shrug. "Alright, let's— oof!"

Before we could head off, somepony bumped into me. When we got to our feet, I realized that it was Rarity. She looked, um, kinda mad. And I don't know why, but something about the way she looked sent shivers down my spine.

"I'm, terribly sorry, darling," said Rarity, sounding a bit strained. "I didn't see you there, on account that I'm actually seeing red at the moment."

"Seeing red?" I parroted, shaking myself. "What's wrong?"

"See for yourself."

Rarity levitated a piece of paper in front of my eyes. I gripped it with my own magic and took a look at it. It read as follows:

Prissy Pony:

Give us gems or else.

~Anonymous

I blinked. "Um, where was this?"

"I found it nailed to my door this morning," huffed Rarity. "Can you believe this? I honestly thought those ruffians knew better!"

"You mean the Diamond Dogs?" I said.

"Who else would call me a prissy pony and threaten me to give them gems?" said Rarity. "This has their pawprints all over it, and I'm going over there to give them a piece of my mind!"

Just like the rest of this mystery, this didn't make sense. From my experience with the Redvest pack, those guys are downright terrified of ponies, and Rarity specifically. They have no reason to threaten her, did they? Were they lying to me before? If they were, why did they feel the need to do so instead of just, I don't know, beating me up?

"Rarity, are you sure you're not jumping to conclusions?" I asked.

"Darling, there's no other conclusion to jump to," said Rarity firmly. "Those Diamond Dogs clearly didn't learn their lesson. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they were behind the attack on the jewelry store yesterday. Well, don't worry, Sparkler. I'll make them answer for what they've done! It. Is. ON!"

Before I could say anything else, Rarity ran off at full gallop, leaving the note behind. I looked over it again.

"What was that all about?" inquired Derpy.

"I'm, not entirely sure," I said, sharing the note with Derpy. "All I know is that Rarity might be making a mistake."

"Hmm," said Derpy. "Well, maybe we should stop her."

I had to agree. For one, the Redvest pack have enough problems without an enraged Rarity beating down their door. Also, it was gonna be pretty hard to talk to them if Rarity was stirring up trouble. Besides, I had a feeling that this wasn't as simple as she was making things out to be. It seemed like a pretty darn convenient coincidence that she was being soaked for gems the same time I was. Maybe if I set her straight, it would lead to more clues. Yeah, I know. That's a bit of a stretch. However, I'd like something more solid to go on. Let's face it; none of the clues I have right now are necessarily what I'd call concrete.

"I think that's a good idea, Mom," I said. "C'mon, let's go."

With that, I galloped off to the northern timberline with Derpy flying right behind me.