• Published 11th Dec 2013
  • 2,593 Views, 250 Comments

An Unwelcome Change - Night Spark



Equestria is under attack! The changelings have returned and are fueled by something other than love. Ponies prepare for war as the changeling horde sacks small cities. With no elements Equestria needs help...but will they take it from a changeling?

  • ...
11
 250
 2,593

WAR SUMMIT

WAR SUMMIT


The little dragon ran as fast as he could. He was a messenger. Running messages was the duty he owed her. Messages about friendship, magic, and sometimes tests. Though in all the years he had served her...he had never delivered a message about war....

“MOVE!!!! GET OUT OF MY WAY EVERY PONY!!!” he screamed.

A streets worth of ponies stared at him as he darted through. Spike kept screaming at them to move. When he reached the door he slammed through it as hard as possible.

“EEEPP!!!”

A yellow pegasus flew up so fast she hit the roof then fell back down again. 

“SPIKE!!! You know better than to barge in like that when Fluttershy is over. You should be-”

Spike dashed up to the purple pony in front of him and shoved a letter in her face.

“Spike what are you-”

“Twilight you need to read that NOW!”

“Spike calm down! You are acting real strange as if something is-”

Twilight Sparkle caught glimpse of a word in Celestia’s letter. Had the letter been from anypony else she would have not believed it. Her eyes carefully analyzed the entire letter. Even for her brilliant young mind it took a moment to register. She placed a hoof on Spike.

“Spike I need you to make sure Fluttershy is okay. I have to get to Canterlot now and Celestia has requested I come alone. I need you to look after every pony here until I get back. Will you do that for me?”

Under any other circumstance Spike would have insisted that he would go with her. She was his best friend and like a big sister. He may be one of the smallest dragons in Equestria but Spike would fight the largest dragon by himself if it meant protecting Twilight. He sighed.

“Just be careful Twilight. I’ll try to say nothing to the others for the time being...it’d be best if you told them rather than me...ya know?”

She smiled.

“You’re right Spike. Thanks. I’ll see you soon.”

With that she closed her eyes and focused her energy. Her horn began to glow and an aura formed around her. She open her eyes and they beamed with white energy. Spike took a step back at sight. Twilight then thought of Canterlot...more specifically Celestia’s throne room. The room shone with energy and after an intense flash Twilight was gone. Spike sighed again. Fluttershy slowly stood up and rubbed her head with one hoof. She looked at Spike and then the scorched floor where Twilight once stood. She then looked back at Spike who rolled his eyes.

“Relax...I didn’t shish kebab Twilight. She....went to visit Celestia for....uh.....princess stuff....yeah.”


Fluttershy closed her eyes and put on her usual gentle smile as she spoke.


“Oh I would never think that you could shish kebab Twilight Spike.”

Spike smiled.

“Thanks Fluttershy!”

She gently rubbed the head of the little dragon.



“Oh don’t mention it. Besides its not like your fire can really burn anything other than the letters we send to the princess.”

Spike scowled.




THE THRONE ROOM

BOOM

Twilight emerged in mid air above the throne room floor with her wings spread. As she landed Princess Luna smiled and approached her. 

“My, my Twilight Sparkle with an entrance like that you are becoming even more worthy of your title. Greetings to you Princess of Magic.”

Luna slightly bowed her head as Twilight did the same.

"Thank you Princess Luna. I came as soon as Spike gave me the letter. So... are we really going to war?"

Luna looked out one of the throne room windows. While the window was large it was dwarfed by the jewel encrusted walls of the throne room. She stayed silent for sometime. Twilight couldn't help getting a little timid from the silence. Without turning to look at Twilight Luna spoke.

"Sadly yes. My sister and I have many scouts through out the land. They report to us on various things: economic information, politics, and occasionally the actions of brave ponies like you and your friends. You can imagine our surprise when we received multiple reports of changeling invaders attacking small cities much like Ponyville."

Twilight thought of her friends. She thought of Ponyville. Then she thought of a horde of changelings destroying them both.

"Princess Luna why not just send me and the other elements? We defeated her twice now we can easily do it again!"

Before Luna had a chance to reply another voice interrupted.

"I'm afraid not my dear Twilight."

Twilight turned and saw Princess Celestia. Instead of bowing she smiled and hugged the sun goddess. Celestia looked down at Twilight and could tell that the young princess was eager to take on the changeling queen for a third time. Celestia continued.

"From what our scouts have gathered the changelings are no longer being fueled by everypony's love. Their queen has found a new source of power and we don't know what it is...that is why she is now more dangerous than ever."

Twilight bit her lip as she started to think. She paced quietly while Luna and Celestia watched her. They both were about to speak as Twilight interrupted them.

"WE NEED...... a list.

"Twi-"

"On the list should be different lists of our lists of plans."

"I alre-"

"The lists have to be in order from least do-able to most do-able so that way we encourage ourselves to do the least do-able....or should we place them in-"

Celestia continued to try to speak but Twilight was on a roll. Luna let out a long sigh and face-hooved. She took in a deep breath and channeled some magic.

"T W I L I G H T S P A R K L E ! ! ! W I L L Y O U A L L O W M Y S I S T E R T O S P E A K? ! "

The walls of the castle shuddered from the power of Luna's voice. Twilights ears were ringing like they never have before. She wore a shy smile.

"Oh...uh sorry Princess."

Celestia smiled.

"My dear Twilight... You are talking to your former teacher. I already have a list containing 117 lists that each contain 343 plans placed in order from most achievable to least achievable. The 117 lists are place in order from most destructive to least destructive and-"

Luna's head sank as she let out yet another sigh. For all her power and beauty....her sister...the sun goddess....was just as much of an egg head as Twilight. The moon goddess slowly trotted towards the door with an intent to leave before the two exploded from talk of list making. She focuses her magic on the door in an attempt to opened it silently. Just as she telekinetically grasped the handle the doors swung open to hit her in the face.

"Discord" she grumbled.

"Oh I feel so respected! Look at this! I'm a good boy for one month and I have royal goddesses opening doors for me! Oh equestria YOU ARE SO GOOD TO ME!"

Luna had urges she hadn't felt since Nightmare Moon. The theatric entrance of the god of chaos managed to pause the discussion of list making science. Celestia smiled as did Twilight.

"Hello Discord I understand your stay has been enjoyable?"

The creature slithered up to the ponies.

"Celestia dear I was SO WRONG ABOUT YOU.... I mean sure you can be a bit of a filly scout from time to time...but when I saw the concrete pillows and gelatin bed..... I knew you REALLY cared!!!!"

Celestia smiled.

"Discord you are a subject of equestria now and serve my sister and I well."

Luna's eyes locked on to her sister. She let out a very audible snort.

Celestia continued.

"Your work with the rogue dragons was incredible. In all my years I have never seen such excellent use of gummy ponies. To think that large amounts of candy could alter the effect of a dragon's fire... It seemed ridiculous."

Discord put on his glasses. They were made from diamonds of such high quality that even Luna stared at them with such focus that she ignored the creature wearing them.
He spoke in the same manner that the first class of canterlot did.

"That is why you need me Celestia dear.... because my mind goes were no other mind can go! INSIDE THE BOX!!!"

Discord let out a proud laugh and removed his glasses. He then tossed them up in the air and caught them with his mouth. The three princesses cringed when hearing the diamonds being crunched. Discord licked his nose and let out a surprisingly quiet belch for a being his size.

Luna gave him a look of disgust and walked up to her sister.

"Celestia where is Cadence? We need to get this meeting started already. We cannot just sit around all day and watch Discord eat!"

Twilight joined in.

"I can't wait to see Cadence! I haven't seen her in almost a month. I need to show her a picture of a new dress for her otherwise Rarity will freak"

Celestia frowned.

"Unfortunately Princess Cadence will not be able to make it on time so we will have to convene without her. I brought you all her today because I believe Equestria is under attack. Queen Chrysalis and her changeling horde have returned. The small cities on the borders of our lands have reported frequent attacks. At first Luna and I believed that these were small scale attacks by the small remaining forces of the changeling army. So we sent equestrian troops to each town."

Celestia walked over to a large table in the throne room and stared at it for a moment.

“From what our troops had gathered. The attacks were well planned and well executed. Each time the enemy attacked they had a larger force. Our scouts reported the troops having a stressful time. Occasionally they would encounter soldiers who unfortunately were changelings. Those encounters would often end with-”

Celestia’s eyes saddened. Twilight had never seen her so distressed. The look on Celestia’s face pained Twilight. She knew that whatever those outer cities were experiencing was horrible. Just as Twilight was going to speak Celestia stomped one hoof on the ground. The throne room floor cracked where Celestia stood. Twilight took a step back and turned to look at Luna who was right behind her. To see someone like Celestia experience this level of anger was new for Twilight. She thought of the battle between Celestia and Nightmare moon. Luna looked down at Twilight and noticed the younger pony looked alarmed. Luna gave a small smile to Twilight then approached her sister at the large table. The table was nearly ten times the size of Twilights study table. It contained a perfectly crafted replica of all Equestria and its border lands. As Luna leaned in closer to her sister she saw what was receiving a wrathful stare from Celestia.

Luna spoke softly.

“Sister I am just as upset as you are over the treatment of our people...maybe even more...”

The thought of what she once was flowed through her mind.

“I-it-....Nightmare Moon once did such vile things and to see the people of Equestria relive those horrors....the loss of loved ones...friends...family... Their queen will suffer the consequences of her actions...I assure that. However that will not happen if we cannot defend our own people. While I typically despise the talk of list making I thoroughly enjoy making lists of different ways to destroy those who threaten our subjects. I been back...for a short time now... so I- we need your guidance sister. You and I setup this meeting for a purpose, so let us see to it that we are productive.”

Celestia let out a long sigh and turned to face the others.

“You are right. I apologize to you all for being distracted. My intent for this meeting is to prepare Equestria for war. The changelings passed the point of no return when they decided the life of ponies in this kingdom were not valuable. Equestria needs to be ready to defend herself. To help prepare we need time.”

Celestia glanced at Discord who was presumably sleeping in mid air directly above Twilight. Even with his eyes closed he could feel Celestia’s stare.

“Lay it on me lady. What do you need? Let me guess...nothing: crazy, dangerous, eccentric, evil, wild, and/or chaotic? Don’t worry I’ll try to stay boring...if not for you then at least for my little pal in ponyville.”

Celestia smirked.

“Discord this is your chance to show Equestria that you are different. I know I have consistently asked you to reframe from doing anything overly chaotic. I also know that chaos IS you. It is to you what the sun is to me and what the moon is to Luna. That cannot be changed nor should it.”

The creature opened one eye. His face showed genuine interest in what the pony was saying. Celestia eyes had a fire in them he hadn’t seen since she first defeated him.

“Discord. So long as none of it effects the citizens of equestria...I want chaos. I want you to actively seek out changelings and unleash upon them far more than what you have ever done. Slow them for as long as you can while the citizens evacuate the outer cities. How you slow them is entirely up to you.”

He had tears in his eyes.

“ARE YOU? YOU MEAN? I? CHAOS?”

Celestia and Luna smiled while Twilights jaw nearly hit the floor.
Celestia nodded.

“Chaos.”

The moment the word left her mouth the creature vanished. Twilight could hardly comprehend what just went down. She pointed where Discord was then at the window and back to where Discord was. Celestia ignored the purple pony and turned to Luna.

“Sister I need you to prepare our defensive and offensive plans. While we have troops that are properly trained many of them have never faced changelings as well as hordes of that scale. You need to prepare them with the tools but more importantly the mindset. While you do this I will attend to the Sun and Moon guard. They have not been woken since before our battle. They may be few but no pony can match their commitment to Equestria. I will also make sure to inform Cadence that she will be needed to keep the morale of the ponies up.”

Twilight eagerly stepped up while ignoring the release of the god of chaos.

“Princess what can I do to help? Should I get the gang to train or maybe-“

Celestia cut her off. 

“Twilight I need you to assist Luna in any way possible. It has been a little over a month since you became a princess and while you have learned as fast as you always do I simply cannot assign you a task that you can do independently. It is not that I doubt you, your knowledge, your magic, or your ability to get things done. However I cannot afford to jeopardize the fate of equestria. Luna will be preparing many different offensive and defensive strategies. She has more experience in warfare than anypony I know. You and your friends will obviously be a part of one of her plans. Equestria will need the courage you and friends have to give. You may no longer have the elements of harmony. However the bond you and yours friends share can match if not exceed that power ten fold.”

Twilight gave a confident nod to her mentor.

“Don’t worry Princess the gang and I will be excited to serve Equestria again.”

Celestia smiled. 

“Thank you Twilight. Now if you’ll excuse me I have to prepare the Sun and Moon Guard.”

With that Celestia left the throne room. Luna and Twilight stood silent for a short time. Luna continued to stare at the large table in the room. She appeared to be lost in thought. Twilight broke the silence with a small cough. 



“Um...Princess? Is there anything I can do right now?”



Luna stayed silent.


“Luna?”



The small pony sighed and sat down. Time passed slowly but surely. The sun was setting and the moon was rising. Nighttime had began its swift decent over the land. The glistening throne room slowly became a dark chamber of solace. It still glistened yet not with the jewel encrusted walls. The starry night sky and glowing full moon shone through a large glass ceiling.. The cool night breeze sang its song and could be heard through the windows in the room. 

Luna breathed in slowly with her eyes closed. The night air was soothing. As she exhaled she opened her eyes and saw the replica of Equestria in a whole new light. Ambushes, traps, sieges, flanks, vantage points, and various other strategic things flowed through her mind like the night breeze. It was a perfect harmony of war. She let on a small smirk. 



“Twilight...tell the guards right outside the door to bring your friends from Ponyville...We have work to do...”

Author's Note:

I know TL;DR lol

Hello FIM FIC. This is my first MLP FanFic ever. First off if you are taking time to read my fic I want to say thank you. I write for myself but there is something...magical (I went there)... when some pony else enjoys your writing. I also want to say that your feedback is crucial to me. Be honest! I hope that my writing skills will grow as my fics go on. That will only happen if I take in your input. That being said, while I respect your opinions that doesn't mean I will always agree.

As far as this story goes I want this one to be something that explore more serious tones while still keeping some good ol' fashioned mlp fun. That why I was a little ticked at the "select your genre" crap. I hope to make you laugh, cry, scream, and all sorts of other things. I also plan to use a crapload of characters especially the side ones. I can't wait to explore them because frankly I feel they have so much to offer. I hope to update every week or so but please don't hold me to it. I tend to write chapters that are a minimum of 3000 words, this first chapter being an exception. I have got school, work, and a severe case of sleepiness. For now this will be my only story. I plan to have serious chapters and lighthearted ones. A question I have for whoever reads this is: Would you prefer the lighthearted chapters to be a "separate" story? I ask because I have read other Fics that do this and found that some like it because maybe they are only here for the dark stuff and don't want to be updated for a chapter about pinkie being...well pinkie.

Anyway enjoy!

P.s. you don't have to worry about my OC's ever being self inserts. I aint into that. If I ever do, do a self insert it will be very obvious because that pony will probably have a singing/acting addiction as well as an addiction to video games and scifi. I only say this because my OC for this story has some issues...none of which I share...so...yeah.