• Published 16th Dec 2013
  • 9,555 Views, 1,839 Comments

Raising Rainbow - Pizzema Forte



After an accidental pregnancy, Rainbolt is left raising an adorable, sweet and spunky little filly named Rainbow Dash. Love will bring them closer, and time will leave them permanately embossed in each other's hearts.

  • ...
33
 1,839
 9,555

12. Happy Mother's Day!

Rainbow stepped onto the grounds of her dreaded school. It was just another crappy day for her. She’d been going to school for what seemed like years, and what was even more awful was the damned kids that went there. Some of them were so mean, hours of homework would seem like paradise in comparison to spending one minute in their presence. Windy, especially. Ever since the toilet bowl incident, she’d hated Rainbow’s guts and verbally assaulted her multiple times on a daily basis. There was nothing more she could do. Her father spent hours lecturing her the second time she’d dipped the filly’s head in a toilet. She even got grounded from flying, and was forced to do a whole bunch of chores that day. Worst than all that, her father forced her to apologize! The thought of saying anything nice to that filly made Rainbow want to throw up.

Alas, her father had woke her up at seven in the morning, and dragged her all the way to school. At the very least, it was Friday.

“Only a month left, Sweetheart… Push through it.” Her father encouraged as they stood outside the filly's classroom together.

“Only a month until what?” Rainbow asked curiously.

“Summer break, Sweetheart. You don’t have to go to school for a full three months!”

Rainbow’s eyes glimmered. She liked the idea very, very much. “Oh my gosh, Daddy! Why didn’t you tell me about summer break sooner?”

“I did…you just didn’t pay attention.”

“Oh…” Rainbow smiled cutely, knowing she would be guilty of having her head in the clouds when her father talked to her. “Sorry, Daddy.”

“It’s fine, Sweetie. I hope you have a nice day at school today!”

“Yeah, sure I will…” Rainbow sarcastically murmured as she hugged her father warmly. She dug her head into his soft, periwinkle coat.

“Seriously, Sweetheart. Have a nice day. Just think of the future.”

Rainbow smiled at her daddy and nuzzled him once more. “I will!”

After their brief chat, Rainbolt exited the building, and left the little filly to herself. Rainbow took in a deep breath and entered her classroom. Little fillies and colts were wondering around, playing with toys, and wrestling with one another, as they did every morning before class. Rainbow fit in like a cat in a pack of wolves. Usually, she just made her way to the back of the room and sat there until class started. That day she did just that. She sat at her lonely, wooden desk and waited with great patience for class to begin.

“Alright, class, settle down.” Miss Whirlwind spoke in a gentle, but firm tone. “Take your seats and we shall begin today’s lesson.” She made her way to a large, chalkboard and wrote the word ‘mommy’. “As you all probably know, this Sunday is Mother’s Day.”

Rainbow's ears perked up at the sound of giggling not too far away.

“Well, at least those of us who have mothers…” Windy snickered two seats down from Dash. Dash stuck her little, pink tongue out at her and the bratty filly simply turned away, along with her bitchy, little follower.

“So, today, we will be making cards for our moms and celebrating! First, I’ll write some things you all can say in your cards. Any suggestions?”

One aqua filly’s hoof in the front row shot up into the air. “Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! How about ‘I love you’?”

Rainbow sighed as the bold letters were scribbled on the chalkboard so all the little fillies knew how to write it. Miss Whirlwind turned to the class with a wide, unnatural smile.

“What else?” she asked the class.

I tan-coated colt smiled and raised his hoof, and then was instantly picked to speak. “How about ‘Thank you for:’?”

The teacher smiled and wrote “Thank you for:” on the board in big letters, then underlined it.

“What are some things ponies can be thankful for their moms doing?”

Windy’s hoof shot up and she smiled. “For loving us and taking care of us each and every day.”

Dash stared at the little filly in anger. She tossed Dash a wink and fake smile.

Her teacher smiled as she scribbled “All the love and care” onto the board under “Thank you for:” and next to a large, white dot.

“Anypony else?”

Rainbow placed her heavy head into her hooves. Her little ears flopped down as she thought to herself. Love and care, huh? That sounded pretty good, except her daddy did that all the time anyway. Maybe there were some things she wasn’t missing out on.

A little colt everypony called Ginger Snap raised his hoof with a smile. “Cooking and cleaning up after us?”

“That’s a good one.”

The teacher smiled and added “Cooking and cleaning” to the list.

“What about comforting us when we’re sad?” another filly added.

As the list expanded Rainbow started to notice something. All the things a mother provided… her dad was already doing: Loving her, feeding her, making her feel better, and showing he cared. From what it looked like…their roles were very, very similar.

In wonder, and shock, most of the class turned around when Rainbow’s little, cyan hoof shot into the air and waved it to be noticed. Maybe she’d be wrong, and look like a fool in front of them all, or maybe- just maybe- she’d say something impressive. Even the teacher herself looked a little confused to see the filly answer this question. To all in the class, it was no mystery that Dash was motherless. Hesitantly, the teacher called on the little pegasus.

“Umm… Rainbow Dash?”

“What about doing more than they have to just make us happy?”

Miss Whirlwind’s confused expression slowly morphed into a smile. “That is a very sweet thought, Rainbow…”

In her large, bold print, the mare wrote “Doing more then they have to do to make me happy”.

“Now…Does anypony else have something we can add? If not, we’ll move on to compliments.” The teacher looked around. With a short list of thankful statements, the young mare took the awkward silence as a cue to move on.

Within merely minutes, the large classroom turned into a chaotic mess. Glitter was spilt everywhere, pieces of shredded paper scattered the floor, and sticky, white glue was covering the manes and coats of the little foals. Everypony had a vibrantly hued piece of paper and marker or crayon to write their cards on. They were all copying down the phrases on the board, trying their very best to make their mommies happy. Rainbow, however, sat in the back with a large piece of blue paper. Blue was her daddy’s favorite color. It was folded neatly in half and had a drawing on it that could only be done by a four year-old. It was of her and her daddy. The bodies looked like big ovals, while the legs and tails looked like stiff branches. Their eyes were just dots and their manes were just streaks of multiple colors out-of-order. To Rainbow, it looked museum-worthy. The insides of her unfinished card, however, were completely blank. Looking up at all the phrases, she couldn’t find any to describe how exactly she felt.

In desperation, the little filly hopped out of her chair, and made her way over to the teacher’s desk. She was working on something that seemed quite important, but she assumed her card was more important than whatever it was the teacher was working on.

“Miss Whirlwind?” the little filly interrupted. “Can you please help me?”

The pretty mare spat her pen out of her mouth and smiled at the filly. “Sure thing, Sweetheart. What do you need?”

“It’s about my letter… I want to say something really meaningful to my daddy. I know the words… I just can’t put them on paper. Can you please, please help me?”

Miss Whirlwind smiled at the little filly. “I’d be honored.”

He forgot! He forgot! He forgot! How could he possibly have forgotten? He sent Dash to school the Friday before Mother’s Day! Of course they’d be doing things related to mothers! Oh, damn it! She must have been so sad all day and it was all his fault! Why couldn’t he keep track of anything?

As Rainbolt walked through the doors of the school, he already knew what to expect. A little filly with an aching heart that he’d have to take out for ice cream to make her feel better. Poor little filly! Rainbolt took in a deep, long breath and entered his daughter’s classroom. He was nervous about her mood. He'd feel awful if she'd been hurt that day for who knows what reason. As usual, the little filly was sitting at her desk, waiting for her father to get there…but… something was highly unexpected. The cyan foal was… smiling. No, she wasn’t smiling, she was beaming. She’d never seemed happier in her life! Rainbolt was in shock, and glanced over at the teacher. Miss Whirlwind smiled at him and winked. Her eyes motioned to his cheerful little girl. In excitement, the little filly flew out of her desk and within a second reached her father's side.

“Daddy!” The little filly chimed. “I made you something today!"

Rainbow reached into her backpack and pulled out a large sheet of folded, blue paper. It had “Happy Mother’s Day” scribbled on the front, and a picture of Rainbolt and Rainbow obviously drawn by Dashie.

“What’s this?” Rainbolt asked in shock.

“It’s a Mother’s Day card!” Rainbow said with a smile. “I came up with the stuff on the inside, but Miss Whirlwind wrote it down! Well, she also helped me with wording it a little, but the rest came from my heart!”

Stuff on the inside? Rainbolt hesitated, but looked back down and opened up the card. Obviously Rainbow was telling the truth when she stated Miss Whirlwind helped with the writing. The text was written in black ink and the letters were made neatly in a pretty, unfamiliar cursive.

Dear Daddy,

I know I always told you I wanted a mommy, and I think it’s really sweet that you tried to get me one. I realized something today, though; you are my mommy. In class we were talking about mommies and what they did for us. I kept hearing ponies saying their mommies cooked, cleaned, loved them, and made them happy when they were sad. You do all that, too. So you are my mommy. I always wanted a mommy, but I never realized I always had one. I love you very, very much, Mommy. Thank you for always being there for me.

Happy Mother’s Day.

Love, Rainbow Dash.

As Rainbolt’s eyes scanned through the paper, his heart became warm and tears started to swell in his yellow eyes. It was so simple; yet so beautiful. He smiled as a single tear rolled down his cheek. The teacher sat back from a distance and watched with a smile.

“Daddy!” Rainbow squealed. “Why are you crying? Does this mean you don’t like it?”

The hyper filly forcefully embraced her dad, who was taking in everything he just read with large amounts of pride.

“No, Sweetheart…” Her father said with a smile. “I love it. It’s perfect.”

Author's Note:

Do you know how much I love you guys? I woke my butt up at three in the morning to write this! I hope you all enjoyed it very much, and I'm glad most of you have been so far. Sorry for the short chapter, though.