• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 19,369 Views, 1,855 Comments

My Family and Other Equestrians - Blade Star



A HiE fic with a twist. Our protagonist is not alone. How does one approach being in Equestria, when their family is along for the ride?

  • ...
97
 1,855
 19,369

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 42 - Heading Back Home

Luckily, I had once again been able to beat the clock. Racing back to the hotel, I had shot through the reception and taken the stairs. An elevator after all was rather tedious and slow. Plus, considering I was now a quadruped, I was considerably faster than I had been as a human. I could realistically run, at full tilt, at around thirty five miles an hour. Still, wings were faster than the fleetest of foot, Dash, assuming the speed of sound was the same as on Earth, could fly at over six hundred miles an hour.

Regardless, I quickly made it back to the room and began to get everything sorted and packed. Rarity of course, had already packed her things and was busy placing her many shopping bags atop one unfortunate bellhop. The pony in question looked to still be in his teens. His legs quivered under the sheer weight.

“Is that everything now, Miss?” He asked hopefully in a nasally voice, his legs threatening to buckle.

“Not quite, my dear friend here isn’t ready to set off just yet,” Rarity replied. The bellhop’s eyes grew hopeful.

“Then, do you think I could set these down for a minute?” Unfortunately for him, it was not to be.

“Oh, that’s not necessary; Blade Star will be out in just a moment.” I was certain she was doing this just to chastise me for being so last minute. I never took Rarity for the vindictive type.

So now, under the dual pressure of both the time and my desire not to see some unfortunate bellhop crushed under a mountain of shopping, I redoubled my efforts. I quickly folded and re-packed my waistcoat placing it in the suitcase and grabbed my toiletries and towel from the bathroom. Then, hurriedly throwing my saddlebags back on, I grabbed my keys and left the room, locking it behind me.

“Right, let’s be off,” I said. I couldn’t tell if the bellhop was delighted or disheartened by that.


Reaching the lobby, I asked the bellhop to take Rarity’s things outside and engage a carriage for us to the train station. Rarity then removed both my key and her own and hoofed them over to the pony at the reception desk. We both then hoofed over the necessary coinage. Between us, the hotel had cost us four hundred Bits for the room and the meal at the restaurant. Expensive yes, but also worth it in terms of the services provided. Mind you, I certainly wouldn’t be coming back to a place like this any time soon both for reasons of finance and my own tastes.

Trotting outside, we found a cab, loaded up with Rarity’s things, waiting for us. Quickly placing my own suitcase onto the pile, we both boarded.

“Right, where to then?” The cabbie called.

“Canterlot train station. There’s an extra ten in it for you if you can do it in twenty minutes!” I called. This was a pretty big ask for anypony, never mind a large cab such as the one we were in. It was getting on for midday, so the streets would be packed with other vehicles as well as pedestrians. To get through would take a skilled driver, with both agile manoeuvrability and a keen eye for gaps to pass through, and of course, a desire for a healthy tip. Luckily for us, the driver we had with us possessed all of these traits.

Unfortunately, he did not possess, from what I can gather, any sense of self-preservation.


Almost as soon as I said ‘Go’, we took off like a bat out of Tartarus. I didn’t even think it was possible for a pony to gallop this fast. At least, not without somepony calling V1 at some point. Worse still, the carriage was certainly not designed for such a high rate of speed; its wooden wheels groaned under the pressure. Reaching the bottom end of the road, we made a sharp turn to the right, roughly ninety degrees. The carriage briefly went onto its left side wheels only as we careered round the bend, much to the alarm of pedestrians.

We quickly found ourselves on the main thoroughfare through the city. At this time of day it was clogged completely. We though, didn’t seem to be slowing down at all, and the much larger carriages, perhaps Equestria’s answer to the truck, drew ever closer. Fearful of Rarity’s safety, and my own more to the point, I leaned out to call to the driver, the wind instantly lashed into my face.

“Hey, buddy! You want to take it easy? Ah may want to get there fast but ah also want to be in one piece too!” I called. The cabbie, still galloping took his eyes off the road to call back.

“Don’t worry my friend! I’ve done this run a thousand times before, you’re perfectly safe!” He shouted back.

He then jinked us hard right into a small alleyway. Canterlot evidently had back roads and shortcuts, and this cabbie has evidently done The Knowledge. I now didn’t dare stick my head out the window again for fear of losing it. I therefore turned my attention to Rarity. For the last couple minutes she had done nothing but cling on to her seat and her bags.

“Is this pony out of his mind?!” She demanded.

“No, I don’t think so,” I replied, briefly stopping to grab something as we made yet another hard and fast turn. “He seems to know what he’s doing. I guess he really wants that ten Bits.”

For the rest of the trip, we both simply did our best to hold on.


We arrived at the train station two minutes early. The cabbie must have been a stuntpony in the past or something. We had had a few close calls, but had not hit a single thing. We’d flown through back alleys, side roads, and even the odd back garden, but we were still in one piece. Mind you, we may have committed a few moving violations. Nevertheless, the cabbie had earned his extra ten on top.

Grabbing our things, we quickly headed into the station and onto the platform. And I say platform as in singular. In spite of being a terminus and also arguably a key hub insofar as travel was concerned, Canterlot Station had only one platform, with one line that led down to Ponyville. Only after passing my new home town did the line diverge, going all over the shop, from Dodge Junction, to the Crystal Empire to Rainbow Falls.

Our train was already waiting in the station when we got there. I still wish they’d designed it to be slightly less girly, or at least less pink. I mean, why not create something like Mallard, or Coronation Scot, or maybe Golden Arrow, sleek streamlined machines that would tear across the countryside setting speed records. Trains had always been a bit of a hobby of mine since I was a boy, Equestria though was severely lacking.

We weren’t on an overnight train this time; instead, we’d reach Ponyville in the early evening. Still, enough time to grab lunch in the dining car and enjoy the ride.

“Come along, Blade Star,” Rarity called. “The train’s due to leave at any moment.” Not a moment later, the guard’s whistle sounded. Needless to say, we both got on board sharpish.


Half an hour in to the long trip back home, myself and Rarity were chatting over lunch. When we’d settled in, Rarity had picked up one of those hateful gossip magazines which also covered current fashions. In it was a special feature section on the fashion show and the reception we had attended. I just hoped the tabloids would be kind; it was the first time I’d been in the paper since that idiot of an MP came to visit my high school.

“Well, anything good in there, Rarity?” I asked. She seemed to be reading and re-reading the same section over and over again. “Err, Rarity?”

“Oh, sorry, Darling, I was miles away,” she said, looking up from whatever she had been reading. “What did you say again?”

“I said is there anything interesting in there?” I repeated.

“Well, you’re in it,” she replied cockily. I balked.

Before I could respond, she handed the article in question to me. A large photograph sat in the centre of the page. It was me, shortly after I knocked that paparazzi for six. Beneath that was an article discussing, in great detail, the whole incident. Mind you, I thought they’d dressed it up a bit more than was necessary. I never really liked such publicity; I preferred to stick to the background. After reading the article again, I passed it back to Rarity.

“Well, that’s new,” I commented. “I just hope they leave it at that.”

“Nonsense Blade Star,” Rarity countered. “I’m sure when Applejack sees this she’ll be even more head over heels for you.” Rarity’s comment brought that whole issue to the fore once again. And I was just about settled again too.

I’d pretty much decided on what I was going to do. I was going to bury my dumb head in the sand and pray that everything got better by itself. That’s what I usually did when feelings came into a discussion. That or get as far away from the problem as possible. Still, it was only a stop gap.

Even now, I was finding myself starting to question my stance on love and romance. A few times on the ride back, I even began to think about what a romantic life would be like. What would happen if AJ and I became more than friends? How everypony would react to the news, dates, marriage, the works. But no. No, I wasn’t going to fall for it. Whatever might be in my head would certainly not happen in reality. I was going to stay friends with Applejack. That’s what she was, my friend, my best friend.

“You’re still thinking about Applejack, aren’t you?” Rarity asked, breaking my concentration. “Honestly Blade Star, she likes you and you like her, will you not at least try?” I sighed.

“Rarity, listen, ah’ve never, ever been in a relationship like that. Now you want me to just suddenly accept love from another species. What would everypony say? What would my folks say? And Applejack’s family? It’s all too fast. Please, just let me do this my way.”

Where did that come from? I was getting worse. In less than twenty four hours I’d gone from a complete disinterest in romance and a rejection of love, to explaining why I couldn’t act on such love. Even if I knew those reasons were a load of horseapples.

“Blade Star, first of all, you are a pony. So I don’t see a problem with species. And second, I cannot see why either your own family or Applejack’s would object, if you both love each other, who are they to stand in the way? You have something against love Blade Star, and I’m not going to stop until I find out what it is.” She fixed me with a stare. The fashionista was too good at reading ponies like that; she’d seen clean through my own excuses.

“Ah… the thing is…” I sighed again. “Ah just don’t trust love, alright? It’s a dangerous thing, physically and mentally. Ah’ve seen too many folks hurt by it to stick my own neck out. It’s too much of a gamble.” I recovered some of my capacity to argue, and to run my mouth. “And I refuse to be blinded by something so petty, Rarity! I have more important things to focus on; like getting my family home! You fall in love and before you know it you’re in some Celestia forsaken cave...” I cut myself off before too much came out.

Outside, the train’s shrill whistle blew, drowning out that last remark and we slowed for the run into Ponyville. We both quickly began to pick out familiar landmarks. It felt like it had been weeks since I had had to run and teleport myself to the station, leaving Applejack in the orchards.

Great, I’m thinking about Applejack again.

Anyway, we pulled into the station; the whole place was covered with balloons and a huge sign that proclaimed ‘Welcome Back’. I guess somepony told Pinkie what time we’d be back.

The engine let off a hiss and steam filled the platform, making it pretty hard to see anything. Still, stepping out, I helped Rarity down with her things. Then, the steam and smoke steadily began to clear and I beheld my friends and family, gathered to welcome us back.

First to step up was Spike, who naturally made a beeline for Rarity. My fellow unicorn smiled and hugged him, declaring that she was glad to be home. Spike was followed by Twilight, of course, who had no doubt provided him with transportation. She too was glad to see both of us, quickly hugging us. Then everyone and everypony just sort of piled in. I remember Pinkie shouting ‘Surprise’ at one point. Very quickly though, I found a pair of hooves around me.

“Blade Star!” Applejack declared happily, hugging me far tighter than a typical friend would. “Ah missed you so much!” For a moment I hesitated. I never had gotten used to such overt displays of affection. But once my mind caught up, I had the sense to return her hug.

“You too, AJ,” I replied. “You too.” With that, she released me, letting me see her face. She was the picture of happiness, her smile almost as wide as Pinkie’s. I chastised myself; even if I had little interest in love, how blind was I that I could not spot the obvious? All that was missing was a kiss.

Before I could do anything else though, I was quickly set upon by my mother. Even at this point, she still treated me like a little kid at times. She half hugged me and half picked me up when she grabbed me. Luckily Dad was on hand to pry her off.

They saved the best for last though, as Apple Bloom and the other Crusaders came out to me, with Big Mac keeping an eye on them. The sheer level of adorableness those three fillies displayed was sufficient to put even Fluttershy to shame. Balanced on their backs was a trio of steaming hot pies, undoubtedly made by Granny Smith and Applejack.

“Here Blade Star, me and the Crusaders made this for you.” Guess not then.

“And there’s one for Rarity too,” Sweetie Belle chimed in.

“And one for Rainbow Dash,” Scootaloo proclaimed, displaying a pie with RD’s cutie mark carved on the crust. Her compatriots glared her outburst to silence.

I couldn’t help but smile at their antics. At everything really. I felt like I was home again. Whenever I got back from university on a Friday night, I always had a good feeling in me, but it had never been this strong. I felt like I was glad not just to be home, but to be with all the people, and ponies, here too. I hadn’t realised how close I had gotten to everypony.

With Spike carrying Rarity’s many bags, and not complaining one bit I might add, I turned to the assembled crowd on the platform.

“Well, ah say since we’ve got three steamin’ hot pies right here, how ‘bout we go and have supper back at the farmhouse?” The barn/farmhouse that I now called home was perfect for such a gathering, just as it was with the annual family reunions. Everypony readily agreed and we set off for Sweet Apple Acres just as the train pulled out again.


We all headed through Ponyville just as Celestia set the sun below the western horizon. Stars steadily began to peek out as the sky changed from its’ former reddish hue, to the deep blue and purple of night. The temperature dropped slightly, but it was still an autumn night, and with no wind, quite pleasant.

We first swung by Carousel Boutique to allow Rarity to set all her stuff down. Even fuelled by his affections for Rarity, Spike’s small arms were beginning to show signs of strain. Several times I asked him if he wanted any help, but each time I received a staunch negative. Behold, I thought, the idiocies of love. The amount the poor drake was carrying would induce injury before too long.

Arriving at Rarity’s home and place of business, we all paused while Rarity herself went inside. Fishing a set of keys from her saddlebags she unlocked the door. The shop had been closed for the duration of our expedition to Canterlot, and a pile of new orders had formed in her letterbox. Spike followed her inside and helped her put her many articles away, again declining any offer of assistance.

With that done and dusted, we set off for Sweet Apple Acres. By this time the moon was steadily rising into the sky and everything took on a silvery hue. Heading further and further out of town, we passed my parents new house. Since they’d moved in not so long ago, the place had taken on a very homely feel. I’d lived in a few places in the course of my life, but none of them had felt like that. It was like the childhood home I’d never lived in. I wondered if Lizzie would be heading there. As far as I knew, she was still living with Fluttershy.


It was an even better feeling when we finally passed through the apple covered arch that marked the entrance to Sweet Apple Acres. While forests tended to be somewhat unsettling at night, there was no such fear prevailing in the vast apple orchards. Coming up on the homestead, me and Applejack opened up the large barn doors and turned on the lights. With help from Pinkie and Big Mac, we quickly set out a few tables, grabbed a few plates from the kitchen, some cider from the cellar and woke Granny Smith up in the process. Luckily though, the kraken was in a good mood, particularly when confronted with the sight of pie.

We all settled down to enjoy ourselves. The pie was, as always, absolutely delicious. Applejack said that both her and her little sister had inherited their ability to cook from Granny Smith. Big Mac however, apparently struggled to boil water on a good day. The table was filled with raucous laughter when AJ recounted Big Mac’s attempt to make dinner. To cut a long story short, he was not allowed near the stove, ever.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo insisted that their sister figures each take the first slice of their respective pies. Rarity praised her younger sister, claiming she had come a long way with her cooking. Though she did dash out from the party shortly after, and returned looking decidedly under the weather. As for Rainbow, she loved the fact the Scoots had managed to carve a copy of her cutie mark onto the crust. That reminded me, I had wanted to speak with Dash when we got back; now was as good a time as any.

“Hey Rainbow,” I called to her over the various other conversations. She looked up from her pie.

“Yeah, Blade Star?” She replied.

“You don’t happen to eat fish much do you? It’s just ah heard pegasi eat fish on occasion, thought ah might try it.” She looked at me quizzically.

“I’m pretty sure unicorns don’t go for that kind of thing, Blade Star. Twilight tried it once after she got her wings; she was throwing up for a week.” That last remark caused Rarity to once again shoot out, while Twilight, who had overheard us, blushed.

“I just didn’t take to it well, Rainbow!” She retorted hotly. “Why do you want to try fish anyway, Blade Star?”

“It’s just ever since ah got here, it’s like ah’ve had two halves; my unicorn side, which can’t stand meat, and my human side that’s been craving it. Ah figured since pegasi can eat fish, it might be a decent happy medium.” The two mares both stopped to consider.

“Well, I suppose your human qualities could, in theory, overcome your unicorn physiology and allow you to. But it would be very limited. Your body would reject any kind of red meats or even a large quantity of fish. Maybe you should try protein supplements.” Rainbow shuddered.

“No way, Twilight! I had to drink those things sometimes last winter. No way am I making this poor sap do the same.” She turned to me. “Why don’t we try tomorrow? I’ll catch us some fish out on the lake and we’ll see if you can handle it.” Seemed like a good idea, anything but protein supplements that was for sure.

“Okay Dash, sounds like a plan. You want to swing by here tomorrow?” She nodded as she helped herself to another slice.

“Sure, I’ll pick you up once I’m done with my morning workout.”

At the far end of the table, the Crusaders, along with Spike, had fallen asleep. It was getting pretty late.

“Good lord, is that the time already?” My father asked, looking at the nearby clock. “Come on dear, best be off.” It was getting late. The rest of the group took this as their cue to leave. My parents headed back to their house, Lizzie and Fluttershy headed back to the cottage. Rarity and Sweetie Belle went back to the boutique and Dash placed Scootaloo on her back to fly her home.

As for me, I helped Mac get Apple Bloom on his back whilst AJ helped get Granny Smith back to bed. I was glad to be back, if nothing else, just to be in my own bed again.

Author's Note:

Proofread by Sidetrack.

At last we are back in Ponyville. It feels like I've been writing about Canterlot for months! A couple slice of life chapters then it's onwards to Nightmare Night.

And yes, there will be romance coming soon.

Weird glitch now also fixed.

Lastly, a note on our history. Today is June 6th. 70 years ago, the largest amphibious invasion in the history of warfare took place on the beeches of Normandy. Codenamed Operation: Overlord the goal was to retake the French capital of Paris from its German occupiers. June 6th was to be H-hour, known as D-Day. Thousands of paratroopers were dropped behind enemy lines on the night of June 5th. In the morning, battleships bombarded the French coast and the combined Allied forces assaulted five beeches; Gold, Sword, Juno, Utah and Omaha. While all did not go as planned, the invasion was a success. The Germans were pushed out of France and the Vichy regime abolished. 434 days later, President Truman accepted the unconditional surrender of the Japanese and peace returned.

Today will be filled with memorials, commemorations and other events. This will likely be the last major reunion where we have the luxury of living witnesses. All I ask is that you ponder that, and most importantly, do not forget.

PreviousChapters Next