• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 19,422 Views, 1,855 Comments

My Family and Other Equestrians - Blade Star



A HiE fic with a twist. Our protagonist is not alone. How does one approach being in Equestria, when their family is along for the ride?

  • ...
97
 1,855
 19,422

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 31 - The Continuation of Politics by Other Means

Luckily for me, they didn’t rush me then and there. Instead, one of the two that were hovering tried to buzz me and knock me down. I rolled quickly out of the way and the creature passed harmlessly above me. I turned round and let off a quick shot at the retreating bug. The shot caught it square in the back. It gave a little cry before plummeting back down to the ground.

The other three Changelings hissed angrily at the sight of their comrade being injured. At first, I was sure that they would now rush me, but again, they stood their ground. If they were real, I would have thought that they were sizing me up as an opponent, for that was what it felt like even with these facsimiles. The one in the centre, which evidently lead the other two, looked to its comrades. It made a brief hissing noise and before my eyes, the trio were enveloped in green flames.

They were trying a psychological move. When the flames receded, before me were Applejack, Twilight and Rainbow Dash. Had I not just seen them change, I would have thought them to be the genuine article. As much as I hated and loathed these creatures, I had to give them credit, they were pretty convincing.

‘Rainbow’ charged down at me in a move similar to its companion. Again I rolled out of the way. But this time I had no opportunity to take a pot shot. After it passed me, the creature turned on the spot and performed the same manoeuvre it used to startle me when it arrived. The creature blasted itself forward landing about a foot from me. The impact knocked me off my hooves.

The Changeling was the first to recover and quickly pounced on me as I tried to get up. Any foal knows the ground is the worst place to be in a fight. It got right up in my face and dropped its disguise. It hissed in my face, which frightened me more than I cared to admit afterwards. These things did look like they would bite into your neck if they could. Desperately, I kicked out with my hind legs. I managed to strike its rear with enough force that it pulled back hovering a couple of feet from me. It was now more than close enough to get a shot off at it. I let off two quick shots. Both hit, one on the body and one in the head. Again, the hovering beast dropped to the ground. Two down, two to go.

I didn’t realise it then, but as is often the case in realistic simulations, I was starting to get into it. I think the moment that second target, for that was all they were really, got up close and personal, I began to believe what my senses were telling me, I was fighting Changelings.

The pair dropped their disguises and came straight at me. No chance of dodging this time, and no real chance to shoot. I would just have to take it. They rammed into me and again got me on the ground. This time though, when one of them moved in to presumably restrain me, I punched it across the face with a right hook. I quickly got to my hooves.

“Dirty little beast!” I cried, the two Changelings hissed in response.

I let off another two shots, which caused the Changelings to split to avoid the spells. I went after the one on the left, the one that had knocked me down. For the moment, I’d turned the tables and put them on the defensive. The other Changeling took flight and moved to a higher altitude, looking for an opening. The one I had pursued was now crouched low, it couldn’t fly, for I would undoubtedly hit it. It couldn’t run either. I’d made a crucial mistake; I’d backed my opponent into a corner. Consequently, it went on an all-out attack.

It charged straight at me bowling both of us over in the soft grass. I figured I would be in for a desperate hoof to hoof brawl when I heard a voice.

“Blade Star! Shieldy! Are you guys out here?” It was Twilight, come to check up on us. I could certainly use her help right now. I looked back to the Changeling.

Surprisingly, the creature let up the pressure it had been exerting on me and backed off a little. It couldn’t be giving up. Foul animals like Changelings don’t give up; you have to take them down. I’d swear that it flashed me a smile as green flames crept up its body. I charged my horn again; I could easily get a shot in. But then I saw who it had taken the form of.

Me. Standing before me was a mirror image of myself. Like me its horn was flared with a dark blue aura and it was ready to shoot. Then, in the manner of Changelings, it pulled a cheap shot.

“Twilight help!” It called in my voice. “Ah’ve got a Changeling!” Twilight instantly teleported over to the pair of us. I could tell by the look on her face she couldn’t tell us apart.

“Quick Twi. Stun it!” I said.

“No Twilight, stun him, he’s the Changeling,” my doppelganger replied. Twilight looked back and forth between us, still unsure.

“Not me you unicorn with wings! Him!” I barked. That seemed to settle it. Twilight let off her own spells that send the Changeling flying, knocking down its disguise in the process. It was laid out on the grass several feet away, more than just out cold. I breathed a sigh of relief and turned to Twilight.

“Thanks Twilight,” I said. “I didn’t mean anythin’ by that, just figured that it’d help you pick me out.”

“Never mind that, Blade Star!” Twilight replied frantically. “Where in Equestria did it come from, and these two as well?”

“It’s okay, Twilight. They’re not real, magical targets. Strong Shield set ‘em up,” I answered. The previously frightened alicorn relaxed.

That’s when I realised, there were only three Changelings sprawled out on the grass. There were four before. I turned back to Twilight.

“Hang on, there were four of them. Where’s the last one. Twilight can you see anything?” I asked. She looked around.

“Strong Shield probably turned it off after we beat that last one. C’mon, let’s go find him. He’s probably hiding somewhere watching us.” She smiled, but it didn’t seem genuine. Something just seemed off. She continued smiling, and then I saw it. A flash of green in her eyes. This wasn’t Twilight.

“You’re probably right Twi. Lead the way.” We both began to head toward town.

As soon as I was sure it wasn’t watching me, I lashed out. I fired one burst, aiming for the head. Unfortunately for me, it ducked at the last second; quickly it dropped its disguise and took a fighting stance. Again, it hissed at me.

“What, d’you think ah’m stupid?” I asked it. Again, for what seemed like the hundredth time, it charged.

It tried going through various disguises to confuse me. It went through each of the elements, Spike, Big Mac, Shining, Time Turner and even Princess Luna. That last one almost caused me to hesitate. Unlike the other Changelings, this one was tougher and more experienced. We’d been trying to find an edge for a couple of minutes now, with little success and it was starting to fray my nerves.

“Why won’t you do all of Equestria a favour and just die!” I shouted between breaths. Again, I had begun to lose myself in the experience, combined with my existing feelings. That was when the Changeling went and pulled a truly low move.

Green flames crept up its form and I did my best to disregard whatever it was in the process of changing into. But this time I was taken aback.

Standing in front of me, was Lizzie. Or at least a good rendition of her, she smiled kindly at me. In spite of my foreknowledge, I hesitated. The Changeling shifted back and leapt at me. It knocked me on my back and pinned me. I’d had it. I was too exhausted to throw it off as I had before and I couldn’t hit it with magic.

Luckily though, help was at hand and genuine help this time. The Changeling shimmered and vanished as did the three forms of the unconscious ones. In their place were the small two foot high targets. And standing but a few feet away, was Strong Shield.


Initially, I was tempted to blast the smug looking unicorn for what he had just inflicted on me. Had he not arrived and had that Changeling not been an illusion, I’d probably be bug food right about now. I’d done okay, but I was no fighter and never had been. The only fight I’d ever got in was back in high school where I socked some evil demon child on the mouth after he took a swing at me. Of course, said child had ADHD so was let off. I on the other hand had the book thrown at me.

Strong Shield was certainly gifted in magic that was for sure. As I said his four ‘targets’ were cunning fighters and were extremely believable. Hay, a couple times I had actually felt fear for my life. A realistic simulation like that and you easily lose yourself in it. I heard that it happened to airline pilots on simulators. In the event of a crash some would scream or throw their hands in front of their face.

The Captain helped me to my hooves, I’d stayed on my back after the target vanished, still somewhat winded.

“Not bad, Rookie,” he said. “Sure that last one would’ve probably had you, but you’d have taken a bunch of those sons of diamond dogs with you.” Was he actually impressed with me?

“Thank you, Captain,” I replied. “Ah didn’t do too badly with the first of ‘em, but when they got in close ah couldn’t get a shot off.” This earned me a smack on the head.

“That’s why you’ve gotta back off once in a while, Rookie. The way you were goin’ at them; there was a whole lot of anger.” That was true as anything. “But I ain’t here to teach you fighting skills. I’m here to teach ‘defensive magic’ as Miss Sparkle puts it.”

“So what next then, Captain,” I asked, eager to move on. Strong Shield smiled.

“Next, you go back home and get yourself cleaned up. You look like you’ve been through Tartarus.” He laughed heartily as I took a look at myself.

I was a mess alright. Were I in any kind of uniform I would have been a disgrace to it. My coat was matted with mud and grass stains, I was soaked in sweat from the fight, and once again my horn was emitting a faint glow from over use.

“Yes Captain. Ah might just do that.” Again Strong Shield smiled. He’d really loosened up since that last practice. For whatever reason, he now seemed less short with me.

“I’ll meet you at Miss Sparkle’s library tomorrow at 0800. Don’t be late.” That last bit carried a hint of a threat. “Try some target practice whenever you can. And don’t let yourself go rusty. Dismissed.” He really was treating me to the whole army gig.

With that Strong Shield walked off. I presumed that he’d head back to Canterlot. I hadn’t come across him before. He was equal rank with Shining too, certainly a high rank to be just teaching the new recruits. Though as he had taken up that post after the wedding, maybe at last the Royal Guard would start to become a usable fighting force. Not something to get their flanks handed to them by a bunch of bugs. I headed back to Twilight’s for a quick chat, and then I would head home, maybe stopping to see my folks on the way.


Strong Shield was long gone by the time I arrived in the library. I figured Twilight would want to wrap up everything I’d done today and maybe add some of her own insights. I was slightly confused as to why she had had a serving officer come all the way here when she had a good understanding of defensive spells herself, as seen during the Incursion. I walked in this time and found Twilight putting a few recently returned books back in their proper place.

“Hey Twilight,” I said in greeting. “Just thought ah’d stop by in case you wanted to add anything.” Twilight looked a little confused by that.

“Well, I don’t think so. Strong Shield taught you the basic stun spell and gave you some practice right?” I nodded.

“Yes of course, ah just figured that you had knowledge of such spells. Why’d you need the Captain to come all the way out to Ponyville?” Twilight splayed her ears, not a good sign.

“Blade Star, remember when Princess Celestia introduced you all to the town?” I nodded. How could I forget Lyra? “Well, not everypony in Equestria is entirely comfortable with your species. It’s not you or your family; he just has a distrust of outsiders. It’s understandable in a way. But he sort of wanted you and your family gone as soon as possible.” I was surprised to say the least. “The Princesses made him see reason, but he’s concerned about more of your kind following you.”

“Twilight, do you mean Strong Shield?” I asked with a tinge of confusion in my voice.

“Strong Shield has expressed concern to Princess Celestia. He’s worried about a ‘security risk’. I asked him to come down here to get to know you. It seems to have worked. He said that you weren’t half bad for a human.” She chuckled, but then looked sorrowful. “It’s just I’ve known Strong Shield since I was little, and I hated to see him being so, closed minded.”

I could understand that. What I couldn’t quite wrap my head around was that he had got it into his head that we were somehow the vanguard of an invading army. I suppose Equestria must have its own version of the Daily Mail too. It explained Strong Shield’s initial dislike toward me. But Hay, he’d come around quickly enough, and it was understandable in a way. So far Equestria’s experience of non-ponies hasn’t been all that great

“Well, as long as he isn’t going to drive me or my family out of town, I think we can put up with him,” I said, hoping to lighten the mood. Twilight smiled, evidently glad to have gotten her ulterior motive off her chest.


I left the library and headed back toward home. I thought about setting up a little practice range for myself near the farmhouse. There was a fence line nearby that I could lay targets on. Might be a nice little pass time too. Tomorrow I would continue with Strong Shield’s tuition. Afterward, Twilight wanted to move on to a few more theoretical areas of magic study. Ideally, she wanted me to able to help out with finding a way home for my family. That question still lingered at the back of my mind if, or possibly, when we were able to find a way back, would I go?

Author's Note:

Proofread by Sidetrack.

This is my first attempt at a fight scene, let me know what you think.

Next, we will expand a bit on Strong Shield's back story and then it's off to Canterlot.

So, tell me what's good, what's bad and I'll see you next Friday.

PreviousChapters Next