• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 19,418 Views, 1,855 Comments

My Family and Other Equestrians - Blade Star



A HiE fic with a twist. Our protagonist is not alone. How does one approach being in Equestria, when their family is along for the ride?

  • ...
97
 1,855
 19,418

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27 - Whitetail Downs

I woke up bright and early. Today was the day. Race day. I contemplated staying in bed just a little longer; I was going to be done in by day’s end. Celestia though, evidently had other plans, for the sun moved to a position where it could shine through the small crack in the curtains and shine into my eyes. No matter what I did, I was still blinded, so I resolved to get up. I would get up and close those bloody curtains and go back to sleep for ten minutes.

Of course, fate, or Celestia had planned for that too, as the curtains wouldn’t quite close properly. After wrestling with the curtains for a good five minutes, I realised that it would be pointless to return to bed. So, I headed downstairs. My stomach was already demanding food.

In spite of my herbivore diet as dictated by my species, I had found over the last couple of days that I missed meat. Not to the point of a desperate desire, just an awareness of its absence. Even now, I had a minor craving for a sausage sandwich. Of course, in reality, I found meat quite unpalatable now. When I had visited Fluttershy’s cottage to see Lizzie I had been able to smell the meat she kept for her carnivorous friends. The smell that once made my mouth water now almost made me gag. Yet another part of ‘me’ that was lost during my transformation.

I shook my head. That is why you don’t think about stuff this early in the morning. I reached the bottom of the stairs and headed on over to the breakfast table. As ever Granny Smith was slaving over the stove. Big Mac was busy trying to restrain his youngest sister, who was bouncing around like nopony’s business. Evidently, the pre-race excitement had got to her. Applejack, or ‘Jack, as I now called her, was conspicuous by her absence however.

“Where’s Applejack got to, Granny?” I asked the elderly mare.

“Oh, she wanted to get in some last minute trainin’ fer the race today. Ah think she’s at the course already helpin’ folks out there,” she replied. Not unexpected AJ did style herself as one of the most dependable ponies around.

I had my own breakfast, with the race, it was vital that I had a good breakfast before attempting the course. After that, I bid goodbye to Big Mac and Apple Bloom, who would later join me and AJ at the racecourse, watching from the stands, and set off to join Applejack.

The trip to the course’s start was relatively uneventful, though I did see a few other entrants to the race on the road. When I arrived, most of the stands, decorations and course markers were already set up. I found Applejack hauling a couple hay bales into place to mark the perimeter of the course.

“Mornin’ Applejack,” I called. “Need any help?” The mare paused and briefly pushed her Stetson back to wipe her brow before replying.

“Sure Bones. Grab those last few bales and haul ‘em on over this way.”

I decided that this would be a good opportunity to practice my magic, namely levitation. AJ preferred not to use it in the running of Sweet Apple Acres, with good reason. It kept everypony, including unicorns like myself in top physical condition, magic in her eyes, was a form of cheating. But it was only a couple of hay bales; they were pretty light, even Applebloom could move them without too much trouble. Channelling the magic into my horn, I encased the two bales in my typical dark blue aura, and lifted them about four feet off the ground. If nothing else, it was good practice for me. I wouldn’t be having any further tutelage from Twilight for at least another three days.

Me and Applejack reached our respective destinations at almost exactly the same time. I lowered my two bales into position before cutting off the levitation spell, while AJ, with great finesse, simply bucked them off her back, and smiled knowingly as each bale landed in its proper place. Just for a laugh, I whistled the first few bars of ‘Anything you can do’. I was surprised when AJ whistled the next few bars back.


With the course now set up and ready, the wildlife cleared from the course area by Fluttershy and Lizzie and the racers steadily streaming in, we both prepared for the start. Very quickly we were joined by Rainbow Dash. In her typical way, she performed a quick pass over our heads, her rainbow coloured trail streaming behind her, before coming about and alighting before us.

“Sup, guys,” she said in greeting as she resettled her wings.

“Howdy, RD,” Applejack returned. “Up for comin’ second this year?”

“Oh AJ, I wouldn’t want to steal your spot on the leader board,” Rainbow replied with feigned sincerity.

Obviously, while they had agreed to run a good clean and fair race this year, there was still a bit of friendly rivalry between the pair.

“Just as long as we don’t have to lash down yer wings this year, Rainbow,” I chided. “Though I wouldn’t mind seein’ ya trussed up like a turkey again.” This drew a giggle from Applejack.

“Oh lay off, Bones,” she countered. Great, did everypony in Equestria know that nickname now?

We kept talking for a few minutes as racers continued to pour in. We’d already been to pick up our markers. Rainbow was 4, Applejack was 6 and I was lucky 7. As the start time for the race came closer and closer, Applejack spoke up again.

“How about we make this race a bit more interesting?” she asked playfully. Rainbow groaned and turned to me.

“Blade Star, life advice. Never agree to a proposal from anyone, not even your best friend when they offer to make things ‘a bit more interesting’,” she cautioned. Were it anyone but Applejack, I would be inclined to agree with her. But as the Element of Honesty, I’d say she was pretty trustworthy.

“How much AJ?” I asked.

“Twenty Bits. Me or RD,” she replied.

“Deal. I’m puttin’ my twenty on Applejack,” I replied, before spitting on my hoof and sealing the oral contract in time honoured fashion. Rainbow however, was less willing and seemed to bow out. I couldn’t resist.

“Do my eyes deceive me? Is the great Rainbow ‘Danger’ Dash, backing out of a competition?” This got RD going, and she immediately put forward her own twenty Bits, raising the pot total to sixty.

“What’s going on here?” Asked a familiar voice, we had been joined by Twilight. “Did I hear the sound of bits exchanging hooves?” She paused for a moment. “I’m in. Put me down for Rainbow.” And much to our surprise, she too put forward her own twenty bits.

With that we heard ‘Call to the Post’ go up, and we all headed for our respective positions on the grid. In total there were about thirty five, perhaps forty racers. Certainly able to produce enough force to shake the leaves from the trees. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were right at the front of the pack, while myself and Twilight were further back at around tenth position.

“Ready for this, Blade Star?” she asked. Evidently, word hadn’t yet got round to her of my recently acquired nickname.

“Born ready, Twilight,” I replied cockily. “Who knows, I might even be the underdog of this race.” I was also delusional. High above, Pinkie Pie and Spike hovered in Twilight’s balloon. A megaphone attached to the basket allowed both of them to pass their comments onto the spectators below.

“Well Spike, here we are again for the annual Running of the Leaves,” announced Pinkie.

“Right you are, Pinkie,” Spike returned. “And this year for the first time, the race will feature extra-Equestrian competition in the form of recent arrival Blade Star. Though by the looks of things, the odds are still resting on Ponyville’s two most competitive ponies; Applejack and Rainbow Dash.” Cheers went up as Spike announced both names. Rainbow earned particular admiration from Scootaloo, who was bouncing amongst the crowd using her small wings to briefly propel herself upward.

“Alrighty everypony. We’re coming up to the start,” Pinkie cheered. The racers, myself and Twilight included, braced ourselves in preparation for the start.

“Racers, on your marks,” came Spike.

“Get set,” followed Pinkie. I tensed myself for the start. The start after all, was everything.

“GO!” The two commentators shouted. A loud bell rang and we charged out of the gate. The race was on.


The noise was positively deafening. There was the thunder of hooves, the excited cheers from the waiting crowds and all the while, high above, Pinkie was commentating as only she could. It was like watching the horse races on a Saturday back home. Poor Spike struggled to even get a word in.

“And it’s Rainbow Dash closely followed by Applejack, Lyra challenging her as we come up to the first furlong. Closely followed by Derpy Hooves looking for an opening as the pack clears the gate. Looks like a few had a bit of a poor start with Roseluck bringing up the rear with number 52. The track this early on is quite rough so it’s not a wonder the start is tricky with many a hoof struggling to find that initial grip. And of course the sun of our dear Princess Celestia for once being an inconvenience as racers are forced to charge headlong into that early morning light.” At last she paused for a breath, but was quickly back at it again.

“And now we see everypony starting to spilt up, Applejack and Rainbow Dash still favourites in the odds pulling away with amazing speed. Extra-Equestrian underdog Blade Star sticking close to the front of the main pack so far with Twilight Sparkle who took fifth last year in spite of her being novice. Looks like early on the odds are tallying up with Applejack and Rainbow Dash continuing to pull away from the rest, number 4 and 6.” At last I was able to tune Pinkie out and focus on the task at hand.

First task, avoid going over. Galloping this fast surrounded by other ponies mere inches away would make a slip up quite painful. Second, try and pull away from the rest early on, that way I could ease off and have good reserves for the final sprint to the finish. The herd mentality of the whole thing kicked in as well. I felt a strong need to keep up with the others, sticking as close as I could. My vision also tunnelled very quickly and I could only just see Twilight out of the corner of my eye. She too was initially giving it her all.

The first part of the course was relatively open. Not many trees just yet, the real point of the whole exercise was Whitetail Wood. That of course had a further incentive to keep everypony moving. Namely, falling behind typically meant getting covered in innumerable leaves.

I kept myself going steady and began to clear the pack as did Twilight and a couple others. It was only marginal progress but I was nevertheless drawing further forward. By my reckoning, Twilight and myself were now at fourth and fifth respectively. Lyra was just ahead of us holding on to third. Bon-Bon had fallen a bit further behind.

“Enjoying this?” Twilight asked as we galloped. She wanted a conversation now?

“Sure I am, Twilight,” I replied between breaths. I was straining myself a bit, so I eased off. “Think we can take Lyra?” She nodded and put on a burst of speed. Not one to be outdone I followed her.

We drew level with Lyra as we crossed over the river. Our first attempt at passing her was cut off by the narrow bridge. As we both went to try and pass her on either side the road narrowed. Had we both continued we would have sandwiched poor Lyra and probably all gone over on the bridge, causing a huge pile-up. Luckily, we both saw the oncoming danger and backed off.

Our second attempt was more successful, the road broadened out again and there was now room to pass. For one of us. Being a self-styled gentlecolt, I let Twilight pass. She did seem a tiny bit faster than me at the moment anyway. I quickly followed her and, much to Lyra’s consternation, we passed her. I was now in fourth and Twilight had taken third. About three hundred yards up ahead we could just about make out Rainbow’s multicolour mane, Applejack simply blended into the woodland colours with her gamboge coat blending into the background.

We were now entering Whitetail Wood. Instantly, the number of leaves increased almost exponentially. My vision was filled with red and gold hues. While we were ahead of the pack, the oncoming vibrations could be felt this far ahead. I sure as anything pitied the poor saps at the back that would have to gallop almost blindly through the storm of falling leaves.

It was just as beautiful as when I had visited with Twilight or with AJ and Rainbow. It gave a very New England sort of feel with all the beautiful autumn leaves. Even at the speed we were going, which by my reckoning was somewhere in the 25-30 mph ballpark, I still found time to admire the beauty of it all. Twilight did as well, naturally. Though not like the last time. Indeed, this year she seemed to have changed her strategy somewhat. While she wasn’t going hell for leather, which incidentally is not a phrase one should use in Equestria, she was certainly going faster than the gentle trot. We’d both been jockeying for position since we began, there was very little difference between us. Given the unlikeliness of catching the two front runners it was now a battle between the two of us.

“Well, Twilight. Looks like it’s just you and me now, eh?” I called to her.

“Oh don’t be so sure, Blade Star,” she countered. With that she put on a burst of speed and inched ahead of me. She was trying to mess with my head a bit, get me to waste energy to regain mere inches. Clever girl. High above Pinkie’s commentary filled my ears again.

“Well with the pack now spread out we’ve got half a dozen minor battles going on. Up front the two favourites Rainbow Dash and Applejack are still giving tit for tat and about three hundred yards back Blade Star and Twilight are fighting for third. After that comes the main pack now lead by Lyra after that loss just pass the last bridge. We’re now coming up to the area that saw so much hijinks last year by the two leaders.” Spike promptly took over as Pinkie paused for breath.

“It sure is a tough section, Pinkie,” he said over the megaphone. “The whole area is littered with buckets to collect tree sap, plus there’s several wasp nests littering the area. Racers will have to watch their tails if they don’t want to get stung.” He was about to go on, but Pinkie cut him off, at last abandoning her race commentator personality.

“How do you know they’re wasps, Spike? I always thought they were bees. Ooh, ooh, do they each make different noises so ponies can tell them apart. Do bees go ‘buzzzz’ and wasps go ‘buzzzz’?” Of course, there was no difference between the two sounds. Bugs did sound different though. I could recognise the sound of one particular native bug species any day of the week. Bugs always unsettled me. Particularly them.

We were now about halfway through the wood. As Spike had said, we passed many a bucket of collected tree sap. I actually had to leap over a patch of tree sap, possibly the same sap that got spilled last time. Luckily, it wasn’t sticky enough to impede my progress, but, as Twilight found out, it did leave a sticky feeling on your hooves.

Amazingly, we were now even closer to the two leaders. Close enough to warrant some ‘encouragement’. I thought back to that ‘Band of Brothers’ series and their first CO, Captain Sobel.

“The Japs are gonna get you!” I called to RD and AJ. This was quickly followed by ‘High ho, Silver!” Both mares turned back to look at me in confusion. “Just run faster!” I clarified. And the two mares rolled their eyes and turned back to focus on beating each other. I turned to Twilight to offer her some encouragement. “Not far now, Twilight. Ready for the sprint?” As soon as we cleared the wood, we’d both go as fast as we physically could to get as close to Applejack and Rainbow as we could. Twilight was starting to struggle, but nodded.

And then we cleared the wood. The leaves finally stopped falling and all that could be seen was the wide open Equestrian countryside. And the finish line. It was about a quarter of a mile away and I could see the cheering spectators, including all of my own family as well as the Apples. Pinkie and Spike were hovering over the finish line. Dangling from a rope, Spike held a camera in his claws, ready to get a photo finish.

Me and Twilight were still neck and neck, neither of us giving an inch. I had a brief inner conflict over what to do. Should I let Twilight take third without trouble, or should I give her a run for her bits? Quickly, I decided on the latter and powered forward, inching ahead by a nose or two. As we reached the stands, I could hear my father in particular yelling. He seemed to have fallen back into an old routine.

“Come on, Rainbow! I want those bits! Run!” he cried. Looks like I wasn’t the only one who’d partaken in games of chance. Personally, I thought that was a fools bet. I was banking on Applejack winning this with her superior stamina against Rainbow’s straight line speed.

They crossed the finishing line and the camera went off. We crossed the line about three seconds later. Twilight and me were also too close to call and I was briefly dazzled by the camera flash. As soon as I crossed that line, the tiredness kicked in. I had been so focused on the race I hadn’t really fully appreciated the burning pain in all four of my legs or the pain now caused by breathing. Needless to say, with the race over, my body quickly put me back in my place. Clearing the track I simply lay down, dead to the world.


When I had at last recovered fully about ten minutes later, I found that the result of the race was still in dispute. Spike had taken two shots; one of Rainbow and Applejack crossing the line and one of me and Twilight. The second image was easy enough, by about half a nose I had just about piped Twilight at the post setting us in third and fourth respectively. The question now was who had taken the much sought after first place. And would I be winning any bits?

The problem lay in the first photograph. Judges were clustered around the table on which in sat studying it with magnifying glasses. Twilight walked over and did her best to help by enlarging the photograph via her magic; even the smallest difference would help determine a winner. But try as they might they couldn’t seem to find a definitive answer.

Next my father, who apparently had put a whopping fifty bits on Rainbow winning, pushed aside the judges and studied the photograph for himself. His eyesight though, was not what it once was. So, the inevitable happened.

“Bones, you come and have a go. I can’t do anything and none of this lot will agree.” He gestured to the judges surrounding him. I trotted over to look at the photograph for myself.

With Twilight’s help the original Polaroid was now about 2x2 and much more detailed. Very CSI: Miami in that way. The shot was top down and caught both mares the instant they crossed the line. I tried looking for anything that would distinguish the two. A hoof stretched out, an inch more of muzzle, Hay even one of them bobbing out their tongue would have settled this. But no, there was nothing.

“Looks like a tie to me, Dad,” I answered at length. This was subsequently backed up by Twilight and the judges amidst cheers of disappointment from the assembled crowd. Most disappointed of all of course were the two mares concerned. Forced to settle for a joint second place, Twilight had to hastily duplicate the silver medal. I myself got the bronze for third place. While Twilight got a medal for her fourth place position, she was more than pleased that she had improved over last year’s fifth place.

As for the bets, anyone who had a bet on either of the joint victors got their original bits back, so at least the supposed winners were not out of pocket. Still, not that some ponies and humans were a bit annoyed.

“Honestly, another inch, Rainbow!” my father complained. “Another inch and we’d both be winners.” Rainbow was just as annoyed with herself as was Applejack. While they didn’t see themselves as failures, they were annoyed about the inconsequential outcome of the much vaunted race. Suddenly though, another voice spoke up.

“At least you have your bits back, Roger. I’m a good one hundred out of pocket,” came a maternal voice. I looked up in surprise as the crowd parted to reveal Equestria’s Solar diarch. Very quickly, the slight bitterness of the situation was forgotten as the crowd promptly bowed. Myself included, I was a citizen of Equestria after all.

“This is the second time you two have tied in the Running of the Leaves,” she said to Applejack and RD. “Still, at least this time you ran a fair race. Surely you’d agree tying in a fair race is better than coming joint last in an unfair one.” Ah, Tia, ever the troll.

“Ah s’pose,” said Applejack. “An’ we did still both get medals an’ a split of the prize money.”

“Yeah!” RD agreed. “A silver gong and two hundred and fifty bits isn’t all bad!” Celestia smiled as the general mood began to pick up. As the crowd and the victors went to satisfy their new found desire for revelry, the Princess turned to me, quickly noting the bronze medal around my neck.

“My, my Blade Star. A third place on your first attempt. Perhaps I should consider you for the Royal Guard. You certainly have the stamina,” she said.

“Thank you, your highness,” I replied, ensuring that I spoke with my Trottingham accent. “Twilight did very well as well. For most of the race I was just trying to keep pace with her.” Celestia smiled.

“I also understand there was a bit of an incident at Sweet Apple Acres two days ago. A theft if I remember correctly. You helped catch the two responsible.” I blushed, to this day I insist that Big Mac did all the work. “It certainly speaks to your own special talent, Blade Star.” I turned to look at the two crossed sabres on my rear. With that, the Princess took her leave to bid farewell to the resident of Ponyville. Before she did though, she turned back to address me one last time.

“You know I also heard that you may be heading to Canterlot soon. Is that true?” I nodded. “If you don’t mind, I’d appreciate it if you could stop by the castle at some point. My sister often speaks of you.”

“I’d love to, your highness,” I replied.

“Then I shall see you in Canterlot.” She paused. “Bones.” And with that, she headed off.

Author's Note:

Wow, double my normal chapter length today.

This chapter was great fun to write for whatever reason, and I find it to be pretty in line with the general vibe of MLP.

There's a very subtle nod in there somewhere to a possible future story arc.

Finally a little nod to Capt. Herbert Sobel. CO Company E, 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne (1942-44). According to most of the veterans 'that man made Easy Company'.

Also, this story now has over 100 favourites!

PreviousChapters Next