• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 19,415 Views, 1,855 Comments

My Family and Other Equestrians - Blade Star



A HiE fic with a twist. Our protagonist is not alone. How does one approach being in Equestria, when their family is along for the ride?

  • ...
97
 1,855
 19,415

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 22 - Leap of Faith

Finding myself once again at the library, I let myself in and found Twilight hard at work, surrounded by a variety of books on teleportation. Today, possibly, I might learn how to do that. According to the lesson plan she had given me, the entire day was set aside for attempting to learn basic, short range teleportation. If this came off, I would be a very happy unicorn to say the least.

“Morning Twilight,” I said as I closed the door behind me.

“Oh, good morning, Blade Star,” she replied, looking up from the text she was currently engrossed in. “Ready to start? I hope you read that bit of light reading I gave you.”

Twilight’s ‘light reading’ was a 400 page long tome, with tiny writing. I was glad that I no longer needed glasses in this new form, for I would have undoubtedly struggled to read it without my current 20/20 vision. It was tricky enough that I had to translate it in my head. My knowledge of modern Equestrian was coming on in leaps and bounds. It wasn’t as if I was learning a new language, with grammar rules and all sorts, the only difference was how individual letters were written, Equestrian had the same alphabet as I was used to.

Teleportation was, with the exception of high level alicorn and element magic, the most complex spell any magical creature could hope to create. It took vast amounts of concentration. From what I had read, even the slightest lapse could have disastrous consequences, such as teleporting yourself into a solid object. So, no pressure.

I wouldn’t be practicing the actual spell until later in the afternoon. The entire morning consisted of Twilight lecturing me on how the spell functioned. As I said, it required lots of concentration to accomplish. I remembered when she herself had partially botched an attempt, singeing both Spike, who was out on errand at the moment, and herself in the process. Hopefully, I wouldn’t do that. Twilight went on to talk about the actual casting. Without resorting to a very long lecture on how magic functions, to teleport, you had to weave a variety of spells together, keeping them all stable at the same time. When casting of course, a pony also briefly disappeared from the world. Only for a nanosecond, but it was a dangerous time, when you could fall out of the spell, and never rematerialize.

With all the safety stuff explained and drilled into my head by Twilight, who refused to move on until I could repeat all of it in my sleep, we began to study the spell itself. I still could not believe I was doing this. Teleportation, a dream of most humans since they first saw it on Star Trek, the possibilities were endless, assuming I could do it. Not every unicorn had the ability to cast such a spell.

Twilight herself, with the special talent of magic itself, had no trouble learning and frequently casting such a spell, and any alicorn could do it in their sleep. But for others though, it was not always doable. Rarity for example, despite having wielded the Element of Generosity could not teleport. Her special talent focused on fashion and her gem finding ability. My special talent, supposedly, was protecting ponies, though that still seemed a bit much for me. As such, neither I nor Twilight were sure one way or the other if I could teleport. But it never hurt to try.

So for the next few hours, I practiced the spell. I never cast it, only attempted to form it. This meant I cast my horn alight and went as if I was going to teleport, but at the last moment, I would deactivate the spell.

“It looks promising, Blade Star,” Twilight said encouragingly. “You seem to be able to reach the point of casting without trouble. A couple more practice attempts, and I think you’ll be ready to try.” I was glad of this; it was getting on for lunchtime.

After three more successful attempts, Twilight deemed me ready to give it a shot. It would be a simple teleport. All I had to do was teleport three feet to my left. This was an easy enough distance, not requiring loads of magic, but also enough to see if I had actually teleported, rather than just briefly phasing out.

I now stood in the dead centre of the library. In a few moments, I would either be the first human, sort of, to use teleportation, or I’d have spent over five hours learning about a spell I could never use myself. Twilight gave me one last check-up. When she pronounced me ready, she stepped back.

“Okay Blade Star. It’s all up to you now. Good luck.”

I closed my eyes and began to concentrate. I felt and heard my horn cast alight. I began to weave the spell together, bringing more magic together than I ever had before. Pushing my fears aside, I moved towards casting. The power of the spell increased, and I could see the light of my horn, even through my closed eyelids. The spell was now ready and stable. All I had to do now was cast it. I took a deep breath and, figuratively, jumped.

“Hey Blade Star. What ya doin’?” asked a voice suddenly, as the library door banged open.

I lost focus for a moment. Suddenly a wave of magic shot across me, causing me to cry out. The spell was becoming unstable. I had to shut it down. But it was too late, as I panicked, I began to cast. I felt the strange sensations Twilight told me were associated with teleportation, and I could tell they were not the normal ones. As I felt my body begin to phase out, I heard Twilight cry out.

“Blade Star!” she screamed. And with that, I was gone.

The magic of the teleport subsided. I seemed to have phased back into existence. Opening my eyes, I was confronted with darkness. Twilight had told me about this place, this was the Void. A teleporting unicorn or alicorn briefly passed through here, but it seemed like I had materialised here. As I began to panic, I quickly found that I couldn’t focus enough to try and teleport again. I could very well be trapped here.

“Blade Star!” came Twilight’s voice again. I cheered in my mind; she had come to save me from this place. I looked around for her, but in the darkness I could not see her.

“Twilight!” I called out. “I’m over here. This way!” I replied. Desperate to find her I cast my horn alight.

What I saw confused me. I could see towels, and pipes. Certainly an odd setting for the Void, called Hell by some species. Suddenly my world was bathed in bright light, and I saw Twilight smiling at me.

“Oh thank goodness!” she said. “For a moment I thought I’d lost you.” She pulled me out into the light, and I was in the library once again, relived to be back.

“Certainly a strange place that Void, Twilight,” I said. This drew a confused and eventually humorous expression from my teacher. As well as a giggle from Applebloom, who had obviously been the one to enter and throw me off.

“Blade Star, that wasn’t the Void. That was my closet,” I balked. Turning around, I saw that I had emerged from the small cupboard. I suppose the towels should have been a hint. “You just teleported in there when Applebloom came in and spooked you.”

“Well,” I said. “At least I know I can teleport now.” Silence persisted for a second before we all burst out laughing at the silliness of the situation. Apple Bloom then spoke up.

“Ah’m sorry I scared you, Blade Star. Ah didn’t realise that you two were so busy.” I smiled at her. You can’t stay mad at a face like that.

“It’s okay Apple Bloom. Ah’m okay. Besides, even if somethin’ had gone wrong, Twilight would have come saved my hide. Right, Twi?” I said. Twilight looked confused however.

“Blade Star, what in the wide, wide world of Equestria happened to your voice? You sound like Applejack’s cousin.” I realised that in talking to Applebloom, I had switched accents.

“Not sure, Twi,” I answered. “But, ah always talk like this back on the farm an’ whenever ah’m with the Apple clan.” This just caused Twilight to smile and shake her head.

“You’re almost as random as Pinkie Pie,” she said “Can you change back?” After a couple of attempts, we found that I could, provided that I concentrate. So I switched back to my ‘Trottingham’ accent to talk to Twilight.

“Well, now that we’ve got teleportation down. I suppose I best be off to get some training in with Applejack.” I paused. “Hey, do you think I can try teleporting there? It’s only a five minute walk.” Twilight gave her consent, and I disappeared in a flash of light.

I almost made it to where I wanted to go. My desire to show off came back to haunt me. I found myself again in Whitetail Wood, just not on the ground. In full view of Rainbow and Applejack, I was literally up a tree. Without much ceremony, I climbed down as the two mares looked on, sniggering behind their hooves.

“So how’d the magic practice go, Blade Star?” Rainbow asked sarcastically. At this point, both of them broke down into a fit of giggles.

“Can we just get to training, RD?” I asked, slightly irritated. “Or do you want to fall behind and see me overtake you on Thursday?” This got her into her competitive mind set.


So for the next three and a half hours, we ran and reran the course. The two mares were pretty much evenly matched, while I tagged along a few seconds behind. I may be fitter than I had been as a human, but I was still no athlete.

As we finished our fourth consecutive run, we paused for a rest. We all now had a good feel for the course. The majority of it was flat with only a few inclines. As such, it was more of a straight gallop. However, the length of the course meant that we had to pace ourselves carefully. Applejack told me how those in front tend to be quite tired, but those who finish further back even more so, due to poor pacing. As we headed back into town, we continued to jog to warm down. Rainbow took to the air as we walked. This reminded me of something I, along with every other brony, wanted to ask her.

“Hey Rainbow. Can you do the Sonic Rainboom for me sometime? I’ve seen it on the show a few times, but I’d love to see it in real life.” The Pegasus moved down to trot alongside me.

“Sure I can do it, but it’ll have to be somewhere out of the way. Last time I did it near Ponyville, I pretty much blew out every window in town. Twilight had me picking up all the glass for days,” she replied, wincing at the memory.

After we set up a time, roughly a day or two after the race, RD took off for her cloud home, while Applejack and I headed back to the farm.

“Ya know Blade Star,” she said. “Ah heard yer folks are gonna be closin’ the deal on their house in a couple days. Maybe tomorrow, ya could go an’ pay them a visit.” She was right; I hadn’t seen much of my family recently. It would be good to see their new home to be and to catch up generally. They’d certainly be in for a shock when I teleported in.

I promised AJ I would go and see them, as well as Lizzie tomorrow. Twilight had given me Sunday to rest and read up on the things I had learnt. She had also agreed to postpone the lessons over the next week beginning again on the Monday after the race. As such, I had tomorrow off from my magic lessons. I therefore decided to devote tomorrow to the thing I valued most, my family.

Author's Note:

So, now our protagonist has a low level teleport ability. It's still nothing compared to Twilight though.

I'm glad you all seemed to think that the last chapter went well. Perhaps I'm a better writer than I thought?

As always dear bronies, your comments and criticisms are appreciated.

PreviousChapters Next