• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 1,647 Views, 17 Comments

The Tale of Two Suns - CroakerGamer



Sunset Shimmer's story isn't over yet. With the help of a shady character, they will uncover a lie that Equestria will not soon forget

  • ...
9
 17
 1,647

Stoke the Fire

Luna snapped, “How darn you threaten us! We shall not stand for such treason.” Sunset noticed Luna was using her ‘royal voice.’ What wasn’t obvious was if she was addressing herself with the ‘royal we’ or just both of the princesses.

“We have no reason to attack you, Luna. Our quarrel is with Celestia’s lies.” Reggie attempted to calm princess Luna.

“None the less, we shall teach you manners! You threaten our sister, you threaten us!” Yep, she’s using the ‘royal we,’ she’s lost it. “En Garde, Reggie!”

Princess Luna lunged at Reggie and tackled him to the ground. Sunset could only watch in horror. Soon, Celestia may do the same to her.

Princess Luna swung her horn at Reggie’s head, but he blocked with his own horn. Sparks flew from the crossing horns as Reggie tried to overpower Princess Luna’s magic. Losing the battle, Reggie ditched his efforts with a teleportation spell. However, since Luna was making physical contact, she traveled with him. Maybe that was what Reggie wanted all along.

Princess Celestia and Sunset Shimmer. No, Princess Sunset Shimmer. They stood facing each other in silence. Sunset feared to talk with her, but she wasn’t getting anywhere with her current actions.

“So, I guess you won’t let me control the sun, huh?”

“I’m afraid not.”

“And I’ll have to prove myself more capable to do the job to have any chance of convincing you?”

“You’ll have a slim chance, yes.”

Sunset had to stay positive. She was determined now. She would get her destiny back! “Well, better work with what chance I have!”

Sunset rooted herself in a stance and let lose a ray of condensed magic towards Princess Celestia. Princess Celestia’s horn ignited with light and the beam dissipated.

“Interesting. It looks like Reggie could only teach you so much.” Celestia mocked. This was very unlike her. Then again, Sunset had stumbled upon one of Princess Celestia’s darkest secrets. It should only be fitting that this was Princess Celestia’s true personality.

“Let me demonstrate my power to you.” Celestia stood from her throne and spread her wings. She looked intimidating. She was much bigger than anypony Sunset had ever seen before.

Sunset focused on Princess Celestia’s horn, waiting to counter any attack. However, she did not attack. Sunset scanned her new opponent quickly, but what she found made her heart drop.

The tips of Princess Celestia’s wings had caught fire. Soon, both of her wings were engulfed. The fire spread to her mane and tail as well. By the end of her transformation she looked like a mix between an Alicorn and a Phoenix.

“This, child, is my true power.” Princess Celestia began. “I give you one more chance to yield. Do you accept?”

Sunset’s shock and awe soon turned into a nervous laugh. “So you’ve proved to me that you can light your self on fire. This proves your stronger than me?” Sunset was trying to keep a strong will by bluffing. Deep down she was frightened. Every instinct she had was screaming, ‘Run!’

“So be it.” Princess Celestia looked disappointed. “Burn my student!” And with those words, the princess launched a volley of fire orbs towards Sunset.

Sunset could feel the impact of the shots and was pushed back. She stumbled out of her position to catch herself from falling. She checked her body. Not a single burn mark.

Sunset thought this was strange. How had she not light up like a birthday candle? She looked at the princess. Her expression confirmed her suspicions. Princess Celestia’s big eyes stared at her, almost in fright. It was strange indeed.

Princess Celestia was the first to break from her shock. She launched a continuous beam of burning magic at her student. Sunset fought back with a ray of her own.

The two beams collided resulting in a stalemate of flying sparks, flares, and smoke. The princesses beam was gaining on Sunset’s. She tried her hardest to keep it from advancing. The memories of her friends filled her head again. The force of her magic increased. The size of the beam was now larger, but Princess Celestia’s was still gaining ground.

Sunset closed her eyes to focus further. Her muscles burned from the prolonged use to so much magic. She flapped her wings to cool herself off, but it only spread the burning.

Sunset dared not look at her teacher’s progress in the battle, but she took a peak. To her surprise, Princess Celestia’s face was in a state of shock. Both Alicorns ceased their stalemate, the princess to observe her student and Sunset to catch her breath.

She could believe the pain she was in. Sunset’s lungs burned with every deep breath, her wings still flapped veraciously to cool herself. She didn’t blame Princess Celestia for staring, Sunset thought she might have done the same if her student started dancing in the middle of a sparing match.

Sunset used this time to check herself again. First she noticed her breath was visible. Wait, what? It wasn’t cold out, how was her breath visible? She smelled it to see if she just had really bad breath. With one sniff she realized it was smoke. She looked at the rest of her. Sunsets hooves had charred the ground under them, her wings had embers sprouting from them, and her hair had patches of fire in it.

Sunset looked to Princess Celestia for answers. Had she gotten hit with some atack that caused her to start combustion? All the princess could muster was, “I didn’t do that. You have learned much about your power. Too much.”