• Published 12th Dec 2013
  • 635 Views, 365 Comments

Birthday Wish 2: Friends Never Fail - Midnight Spawn



After gathering quite a few people to fight alongside me in "Birthday Wish", this sequel presents a way for each of them to go to Equestria themselves. However, it is soon discovered that their work isn't finished.

  • ...
0
 365
 635

Venture into Darkness

[For details on the fight against the beast, see the comments]

Night Heart occasionally checked the comments from the story as the day passed, but he didn't dare send one himself. If what he thought was correct, using too much magic draw the Changeling's attention. His best bet was to stay hidden. However... he couldn't stay in this bush forever.

Eve had wanted to go out looking for water, and Night Heart had finally agreed to let her go if he went with her. They found a small pool with no cover not far from their hiding place.

"Go ahead, Eve, drink up," Night Heart offered the first drink to his companion. She bowed in thanks and lowered her mouth to finally quench her thirst. "On second thought," Night Heart stopped her, "It may be poisoned. This is very close to the Changeling hive, after all. I'd better check it first." The earth pony grabbed a nearby plant and dipped it into the water. When he pulled it out... nothing had happened. It was still as healthy as before.

Night Heart dropped the plant and cleared his throat. "Ahem, so, okay, it's good to drink." Eve giggled. "What? I just wanted to be sure! No harm in checking."

"Of course not! Thank you," Eve assured him. With that, she leaned over once more and began drinking the water.

Once they had both had some to drink, the two returned to their bush. Eve stretched her legs and wings before asking, "So are we going to Ponyville to help the others now?"

Night Heart looked up at the hive in thought. He really wanted to speak with Chrysalis... but she probably wouldn't be in a good mood about humans right now. Besides, Eve was his top priority, and he wouldn't even think about taking her in there or leaving her alone. So he would just have to come back later. "Leave so soon? What, don't you like the smell of rotting cheese?"

Eve laughed at Night Heart's joke. "Well, we've been here all this time and they didn't once offer us any Christmas cookies! Some hospitality, right?"

"Yea, right! I say we get out of here before they find the coal in their stockings!"

"Well, they certainly didn't get any--" The Changelings suddenly started flying around the hive at high speeds. As they circled their home, Queen Chrysalis emerged from the top and hovered above them. "Night Heart?"

"I see it. Stay down," Night Heart crouched behind cover without looking away. What could be happening?

Chrysalis was making a speech to her subjects, but they were too far away to make any of it out. Night Heart started to stand up, but Eve grabbed his hoof. "What are you doing?"

"I'm going to get closer. What if they're talking about Ponyville?"

"But they'll see you! Here, let me see if I can..." Eve closed her eyes and focused her magic. Being careful not to make her spell too "loud", she felt her horn heat up as she listened in to the far away conversation.

"Can you hear them? What're they saying?" Night Heart urged her.

"It's a little fuzzy... she's saying something about food..." Oh, that wasn't good! Changelings fed on love, which meant Ponyville might be in danger! "Something about... oh, she means us! We promised her access to earth, remember?"

"Yea, I remember. I was afraid something like this might happen..." Night Heart sighed. There was no reasoning with her... all he could do was get to Ponyville before they did and warn them.

Eve continued, "She thinks the portal to our world is somewhere in Equestria. Night Heart, she's going to attack!" At that moment, however, Queen Chrysalis started looking around. She sniffed the air and looked carefully from side to side. Eve spoke in her best villain voice, "There is... love here... and magic in the air," Eve gasped and dropped the spell.

Night Heart pulled her back down into the bush and watched the large queen look in their direction. Her highness slowly flew toward them, sniffing as she went. Before she got too close, though, she turned around and took one big sniff. "It's coming from the castle! A pony dares sneak into our land!" Chrysalis flew quickly back toward the hive and all the Changelings joined her in re-entering the hive.

Eve let out the breath of air she was holding. "She didn't find us..."

"We may be safe, but there's a pony in there!" Night Heart reminded her. Now he was really in a pickle... he couldn't leave that pony to die. What if it was one of them?! They might not have been the only people to spawn inside the hive when entering Equestria. But... he couldn't take Eve into there!

It dawned on Eve just what Chrysalis had meant. "What are we going to do?"

The decision fell upon Night Heart. And time was running out...

~~~

He had never felt this tired before.

Clever Build had discovered a river and took frequent swigs of the cool liquid, but even just standing seemed like a trial. Last time he had sat down, though, he had almost fallen asleep--a thing he couldn't do until he knew his friends were safe! So he remained standing to stay awake.

Which is weird, because don't horses sleep standing up? He didn't remember that ever happening in the show--all the ponies slept in beds. Huh... anyway...

He was quickly giving into exhaustion, but Clever Build was not one to give up! He could do this... he just needed... to... a few more hours... that's all...

...just a few more hours...

He was awakened by a mental message passing to him. Clever, I'm on my way! Send me some telepathic images of your surrounding or something so I can find you, it said.

TC Dubstep! Clever was instantly awake at the voice of his friend. He replied with his mind, Wait, go after Night Heart and Eve! I can't sense them anymore.

Ah, good, you can hear me. Eve probably is just shielding her magic output or something. That's what you said.

It's possible, but I don't want to assume that. I'm not the one in danger right now.

But you'll starve!

Then you'd better hurry! Clever Build argued, Go get them then you can come get me. I can even tell you a general area where they are.

But how long do you think you--

I think I might be in the sky somewhere anyway. Go save Night Heart and Eve, he insisted.

He could last a bit longer, but he had no idea what was going on with the other two, which scared him. Clever Build felt his eyelids drooping again. He heard TC agree to look for Night Heart, so he gave him a direction to head for where he last sensed them. He couldn't remember what happened after that...

~~~

~~~

Luna’s eyes slowly opened to let the sunshine in. It was already the afternoon? How long had she…

Oh, wait, I remember! There was some sort of outside force interfering with my magic, it all came rushing back to her. She had felt her grip on the bronies slipping when she tried to place them. Is that what they call themselves? Bronies? I hope their landing was not too bumpy…

Now, where was she?

“Princess!” Apple Jack called out from amidst the other ponies. Pointing to show everypony Luna was awake, she led the movement to her.

“Princess Luna, you’re awake!” Twilight exclaimed as the mane six surrounded the princess of the night. Luna looked tired, but she was wakening quickly.

“We were so worried, I thought Twilight was going to explode!” Pinkie Pie said with a huge gesture to show the magnitude of such an explosion.

“Nopony… exploded, thankfully,” Rarity stepped in. “And we evacuated everypony out of the town. They’re on their way to Canterlot as we speak, your highness.”

“But, Princess, why aren’t we fighting? Why are we tucking our tails and running?” Rainbow Dash flew up with a clap of her hooves, “Let us at ‘em! We don’t need the Elements of Harmony to—“

“Silence, dear one,” Luna held up a hoof. Slowly, she stood up and her mane began the flow that magnified her dark beauty. “Neither the Elements nor our own magic could defeat this foe. But we are not running—there are those whos magic exceeds even my sister’s and mine.”

“Princess, do you mean—“ Twilight gasped.

“My sister is with them even now, fighting this beast.”

“Now, hold up, you’ve got me confused,” Applejack stated, “Who are we talking about here?” Twilight turned to face her barn-raising friend. She said nothing, but Applejack recognized the look on her face she only showed when she talked about her mysterious friends from the other world. “THEY are HERE?” Applejack said in wonder. She hadn’t gotten the chance to meet them during the war that Equestria was thrown into before, but Twilight talked about them everyday.

“Wait, James is here?” Fluttershy spoke for the first time this conversation. When everypony turned to look at her, she landed and scuffed the ground with her hoof. “Oh, sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt… but he’s here? In Ponyville?”

“Then what are we waiting for?!” Rainbow Dash got ready to blast off, “Let’s go help them!”

“Peace, Rainbow Dash, we will. But there are more of those creatures coming, and our friends will be tired from their fighting,” Luna reminded them.

“What would you have us do?” Rarity asked.

“Princess, if I may,” Twilight offered, “If you think they will be able to beat these things, perhaps we could at least present them the chance to fight them one at a time.”

“I think that is a noble plan,” Luna agreed, “I am sorry to place you all in danger once again—“

“Don’t think nothin’ of it, Princess!” Applejack put her mind at rest.

“Really, when was the last time we WEREN’T in danger?” Rarity spun her hoof in the air, “When Equestria needs saving, we’ve always stepped up to the fight. I shouldn’t think this would be much different.”

Luna smiled. How had she been so lucky to have such faithful and brave citizens?

“Well, um, h-how big are we talking about?” Fluttershy had to ask.

“Hugely, enourmously, titanic of a monster that could eat a pony in one bite and still have room for desert big!” Pinkie Pie answered her question.

“Aw yea, the bigger they are!” Rainbow Dash pumped her hoof.

“The harder they fall.” Twilight finished.

~~~

“Fear not Equestria! For as long as we stand, you shall never fall!”

“Blazer, what are you doing?” Swiftbullet asked as he approached the KO’d monster.

Blazer stood atop the beast, shouting his victory into the world. When Swiftbullet called his name, he gently slid down the creature’s side and landed softly on the ground. “Just letting everypony know we’re on their side. We did randomly show up alongside a powerful creature bent on their destruction, after all.”

“Yea, I’ve been thinking about that,” Swiftbullet agreed, “We probably shouldn’t just walk into the town. The ponies might be a little… overwhelmed at first. We should send the princess in first to let them all know we’re friendly.”

“Hey, that’s a good idea! I can tell you right now: people—or in this case ponies—aren’t always quick to accept others they don’t know. Especially if they know you’re from a different world/time.” Blazer nodded his head and stared into the distance.

“Right… so… you say you’re not originally from this timeline. …So what timeline are you from, then?”

“…I’ve said too much!”

“But you want to say more,” Swiftbullet countered. This wasn’t his first interrogation.

Blazer looked at his comrade when he said that. And slowly a smirk crossed his face.

~~~

What now?

There was a pony in danger inside that hive, but they were in danger, too! And taking Eve in there was a disaster just waiting to happen. Never mind she was an alicorn, because that just made them more easily detected.

“Night Heart, let’s go!” Eve insisted.

“What, a second ago, you didn’t want us anywhere near that hive,” Night Heart argued.

“That was before I knew somepony was in trouble! We can’t just leave him in there,” Eve started toward the hive, but Night Heart stopped her.

“I know. That’s why I’m going in… alone,” Night Heart tried to convince her.

“What?! No way are you going in there by yourself!”

“And no way am I letting you enter a huge, maze-like fortress filled with human-hating creatures that obviously aren’t happy right now!” Night Heart and Eve stood face-to-face, both determined in their stance.

That’s it, guys! Just keep arguing, I’m following your voices, a voice entered their minds. Hey, I see you! Over here!

They both turned to see TC heading their way. He was waving and his wings were flapping to increase his running speed.

Night Heart turned to face Eve once more. “Go with TC, all right? I’ll be fine. You know me,” he insisted.

“Night Heart, you going in alone is out of the question. You don’t even know your knew body very well yet!”

“I know that I’m an earth pony who doesn’t want his friend—who just happens to be a very important pony, possibly royalty—in more danger than she already is. Please, Eve,” Night Heart begged her. Eve just looked back at him.

TC walked up to the duo, panting and grinning. “Hey, I made it! I was afraid I wouldn’t find you in time.” Then he looked up at the hive and panted out, “Whoa… that’s a pretty big house. Must have, what? Five master bedrooms?”

“Really, TC? Right now?”

“What? I’m just saying they should have dedicated more rooms to gaming and music. Seriously, I could turn that thing into a SERIOUS man cave!”

“Eve… please,” Night Heart spoke softly and pleaded with her to just go to safety. He would be fine… probably. At least if he wasn’t he’d know she was safe.

Eve nodded reluctantly, and Night Heart turned to TC. “Get her back to Ponyville in one piece, okay?”

“Where are you going?”

“I’m going into the hive. I think there’s an injured pony in there,” Night Heart explained.

“You are? In there?” He looked up at the towering hive and looked back at his friend. It was obvious nothing was going to change his mind. Plus, this was Night Heart! Everything would turn out all right. It always does in Equestria. “Okay. Stay safe, man.”

Night Heart nodded and faced the hive. After gathering his courage and focusing his mind on what he had to do, he took a step forward. Before he took another, he looked back at Eve to let her know he was serious about her going to safety, then he ran off toward the Changeling’s home.

Eve watched him go and frowned.

TC also watched him enter the hive before looking at Eve’s face. Even if he had never met her before, he knew what that face meant. “We’re not going back to Ponyville, are we?”

“Nope,” she said simply.

“Well can we at least catch our breaths?”

“You can stay here if you want to, but I’m not leaving Night Heart alone in there,” she decided before moving toward the hive. After a few steps, though, she stopped and said, “But you’ll come with me, right?”

TC laughed. “Well what kind of friend would I be if I didn’t?” He joined her and they walked into the shadow of the monstrous home.

[Just want you guys to know I could have left it a cliffhanger here, but I’m too nice. You’re welcome! On with the story!]

~~~

Hmm… sure is dark, Night Heart examined as he made the first turn into the hive. But it seemed the walls actually glowed somehow and lit his path slightly. Magic? That seemed like the only possible explanation. The Changelings were very good at magic, after all. That’s right, they use magic to change their appearances. I should have made some code words for Eve just in case I’m caught and they decide to send “me” back to Ponyville. Oh well. He wouldn’t get caught.

The earth pony stayed low, looking around turns before he made them. He had only been walking for a few minutes, but it seemed like had been making a lot of turns.

Oh no! What if I’m going in circles? He stopped and looked for landmarks. There was nothing there! The walls were all the same and there was nothing but turns and curves up ahead!

Why would the changelings make a hive like this? It doesn’t make sense! Wait, that was it! This hive was made for Changelings… so he needed to think like a Changeling if he was going to navigate it. All right, if I was a Changeling…

Night Heart slowly looked up and saw several paths going through the walls up above. I would go up! But… I can’t fly… The wingless pony stood there, looking at all the paths above him. Even if I get in, there are so many paths! How will I find whoever’s in here? And… how will I find my way out?

Suddenly, Night Heart spied a Changeling flying up above him changing paths. “Hey! Down here!” He called.

The Changeling stopped and looked at him. Night Heart tried not to seem scared at the black creature staring him down.

“Like my new look?” He managed out.

The Changeling hovered down to him and looked at the intruder unblinkingly. “I, uh, don’t really want to change right now. I look good right? So could you give me a lift?” The bug-like creature flew a little closer. “…And I hurt my wing, too, so…”

The Changeling let out a shriek and rushed at Night Heart. The pony managed to duck just in time to avoid being hit, but the enemy just flew up and circled back around. Spying his attacker, Night Heart got into a fighting stance and prepared himself. It wasn’t long before the Changeling was flying straight for him again.

This time, however, he was ready. As the Changeling reached him, Night Heart jumped back and hit the wall behind him, pushing off and falling right on top of the bug. The Changeling shrieked his high pitched scream and flew wildly in all directions. Night Heart gritted his teeth and held on for dear life before he drove the enemy into a wall. The Changeling hit it and fell to the ground, knocked out.

Night Heart tumbled off and caught himself before standing up and wincing. Had something… heard that? No? Huh… I’d be pretty surprised if nopony heard all that, he thought. But it seemed all quiet.

And even better, he was up on a ledge with a higher path. Not sure where this path leads, but I can’t jump back down. Goodness… what was he getting himself into?

Just another day in the life of Night Heart! Charging into danger, risking himself to save his friends, he found himself having to do that a lot recently. He looked down at his new body. All right pony legs, don’t fail me now!

~~~

“Urgh! Are you sure this thing’s just a baby?” Blazer struggled to hold the giant off the ground as the team carried it deeper into the forest.

“Yes, the fully grown ones have arms and are taller,” Princess Celestia explained as she too groaned under its weight. She had insisted on taking the main part of the monster while the others carried the legs and such. “But you will not have to worry about them. They are just looking for their child, which means they’ll come into the forest and find it here.”

“So was that whole battle recorded?” Stagequill asked as she held up her end, “Are people around the world going to see what we did?”

“I think so, but why does that matter?” Swiftbullet asked, “As long as Equestria is safe, it doesn’t matter if anybody—er, anypony on earth knows about it.”

“I know, but it would be good for my career! I’m an actress, you know,” Stagequill said with pride.

“You are? Really?”

“Well, I will be one day. And a singer! Ooh, and a writer! And I think I’m pretty good at—“

“Hey, wait a minute,” Blazer interrupted, “What exactly is going on at earth, anyway? Won’t anypony notice we’re gone?”

Celestia was silent.

“If they read the story, they’d know where we are, and that could frighten a lot of people,” Swiftbullet pointed out.

“I’m sorry, children,” Celestia said with a sigh, “If I could stop time there while you were here, I would, but that’s impossible. I didn’t mean to interfere with your lives or your families, I just—“

“Hey, don’t blame this on yourself, Princess Celestia,” Stagequill replied, “Afterall, we all asked to come here and told you we wanted to help. And you got us here in one piece right? Without you, we wouldn’t have gotten to see Equestria like this!”

Everypony agreed, and the princess smiled. “Thank you. All of Equestria will know what you have done for us! When ponies tell legends around the campfire, they’ll speak of your bravery! Now, let us get this gentle creature into its bed so we can let the Ponies of Ponyville know they are safe.”

“Gentle?!”

“Yes, this creature is not a monster. It can only feel one emotion at a time, so its feelings are always exaggerated. It’s only an innocent being who was separated from its family. We have taken it back into the forest before, but never has it been this strong. We are fortunate you were able to subdue it without injuring it.”

Stagequill was moved by the Princess’s love toward even a rampaging beast. She could feel the heart of such a beast and see through the outside demeanor. “Princess Celestia? May I call you… Tia?”

“That is something only my sister calls me,” Celestia answered. Stagequill looked at the ground. “So yes you may,” Celestia answered.

Stagequill smiled at her.

Suddenly, the actress slipped and fell. As she did, the others lost their hold on the beast and dropped it.

[This creature really needs a name!]

It fell, but Swiftbullet was able to catch it as much as he could. He slowed its fall to gently place it on the ground without waking it up. "Ugh! Whew! Are you all right, Stagequill?"

"Y-yea," the artistic pony stood up and shook her head. "I slipped on something..." Looking down, she saw a small body of water below her. She must have slipped and fallen on the wet rocks around it. Hey... what...?

Stagequill's eyes widened when she saw her reflection.

"What? Not what you expected your pony self to look like?" Blazer walked over to see. "Ah! Hey!"

Stagequill was looking back at a reflection of herself... her REAL self. She saw her human form as she was on earth.

"C-can you guys see that?" Blazer asked a little freaked out.

"Yea..." Stagequill replied.

"I can see my human form," Blazer said with wonder.

"Huh?" Stagequill looked at her comrad's reflection. It looked just like him--pony and all. But he can see himself as a human. And he can't see mine! Stagequill slowly reached her hoof toward the water.

"Hey! Everything alright?" Swiftbullet called from the monster's other side. "Do we need to take a break?"

"Uh, yea, let's do that," Blazer agreed and walked away from the pool.

~~~

Blazer shifted right and left, wanting to check out the pool again but not wanting to draw attention to it. "Hm. You guys rest, I'm going to practice my magic until I can lift this thing all by myself!" He lifted off the ground and made some sparks come out of his horn. "Hey! Maybe I can create some sort of new spell! ...maybe I should try making a spell that is like a magic rocket launcher or tank or things like that... YOU DIDN'T HEAR ANYTHING! I mean, I was just thinking I might strengthen my magic a little."

"Magic Duel?" Stagequill offered and shot a harmless beam of light at him.

The beam passed over him, but Blazer still ducked instinctively. "Ok ok, think about what you're doing here! Don't start anything." He started backing away slowly. "Just, hehe, just think about something else."

"It was harmless, see?" The artistic pony shot at her own hoof and made no mark on it. "But if you're afraid of a duel, how about some singing?"

"No! No no no no, no singing, please! And I'm not afraid, I just don't want to wake up the... um, baby," he replied as he put a magic shield around him.

"Hey, Swiftbullet, you'll sing with me, right?" Stagequill called as she looked for him. "Swiftbullet?" There he was! Over at the... pool...

Swiftbullet could only stare at his human reflection. What did this mean? Had anypony else... seen this? He reached out a hoof and touched the top of the water. Ripples spanned out across him, but he was still there. He pushed his hoof further in.

?!

His hoof turned into a hand as it entered the water. He immediately pulled it out and walked away. It went back to normal and he joined the others.

"Haha!" Blazer cheered as he picked up a sharp branch in his mouth. "Ftill want ta faght me?"

"You can't even see with that thing in your mouth!" Stagequill laughed.

Celestia laughed at Blazer's antics as well. "Here, let me show you," she gestured for him to put down the stick. When he did so, she reached down and picked it up with her hoof. "See?" She dropped it for him to try.

"Huh..." he reached down and placed his hoof on top of it. When he lifted it up, it remained on the ground. "Rats..."

"Try again," the princess suggested. He tried once more, but the stick refused to budge. "Here," the princess held out her hoof to him.

Blazer looked at it for a bit before reaching out and touching it with his own. When he had taken it away, he reached down and touched the stick. Focusing, he lifted his hoof and brought the stick with it. "Ha!" He wasn't sure if it was from the princess's touch or not, but he had done it! Just like the ponies on the show.

"Good job! Now, come on, let's get this guy a little deeper before the parents arive."

~~~

"What's that?" Night Heart walked a little faster toward the sight. He had just witnessed a Changeling toss an egg over its shoulder toward a hole that fell beneath the earth. It had missed luckily and landed near it safely. Must have been the runt, he thought. He approached the egg and examined it. I think it's still alive...

He blinked a few times. It wasn't fair for this little guy. He hadn't even had a chance...

Making a decision he knew may slow him down or cost him his life, he lifted the egg onto his back. All right, buddy, let's hope that pony is awake, because I can't carry both of you! So many ways this could end, but there were only a few that were good. You deserve a shot at life. So I'll get us both out of here alive, I promise. He looked down the long passage ahead, alone. Looking down at the floor, he trudged forward, unsure where he was going.

TO BE CONTINUED!

Author's Note:

Wow! Okay, that was a long one! I know I changed a few things from what was in the comments, but I'm the writer, so I can do that. A few things;

1) This giant creature needs a name!
2) Would you like longer chapters like this less often, or shorter ones more often?

I'm sorry if a few of you got more face time than others, but that's going to happen. I'm sorry you're not in the chapter, MMMBrony, but it was getting too long. I promise you'll be in it eventually! And Golden Morningstar, you're coming, too!