• Published 9th Dec 2013
  • 7,517 Views, 343 Comments

The Story of Nyx: A Snowflake in The Wind - RyanMagika



Nyx finds herself in the Pony version of Purgatory after Twilight brings a special mirror to the Library. There she finds the lost soul of an Equestrian hero, Snowdrop.

  • ...
49
 343
 7,517

Chapter 1

The Story of Nyx: A Snowflake in The Wind

“Hoo-hoo”, hooted an owl as a clock struck 11 o’clock. The library of Ponyville and official library-manor of Princess Twilight stood silent, only the occasional turning of parchment and cricket hums to break the silence. The only light in the room was a soft horn light silently dancing. There in the center sat a small black alicorn filly reading her book. She had violet hair and opal eyes that sat behind a pair of round purple glasses. A turquoise headband held back her hair and a small vest hid the wings underneath. She was reading “Nyx of the Night” a story that was very dear to Nyx, for her mother had named her after its main character. Silently she read until a small creak caused her head to snap to the door.“Hello?” Nyx called hoping to hear a response. A sigh could be heard from behind the door. The door opened fully revealing a lavender Alicorn levitating a large object with a tarp on it. It was Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Equestria. Twilight looked down to her daughter.“Nyx I thought you’d be in bed already!” said Twilight her motherly instinct kicking in, “It’s really late and you have school tomorrow!” She levitated the large object to the side hoping Nyx would ignore it. Unfortunately for her fate had another plan. Nyx took heed of the object immediately.“What’s that?” she asked her pointing out the object. Twilight sighed.“Nyx can we save this for tomorrow? I’ve just carried that thing all the way from Saddle Arabia and I want to go sleep.” Nyx however wasn’t persuaded. She jumped up from her seat to go look at the tarped object. A lavender wing appeared however blocking her path. “No is no, Nyx!” Twilight said.“Oh please Mommy?” she pleaded giving her mother a pouty look. Twilight shook her head.“Oh no-no-no, don’t give me the pouty filly face”. Nyx pouted more until her mother groaned.“Oh-Oh fine! But don’t touch it!” She warned moving her wing and walking towards the object. Nyx jumped and cheered for joy.“YES!” “Shhhh!” said Twilight, “Ponies are trying to sleep”. Nyx hopped behind her mother and moved towards the large object. With one mighty pull of her magic the dusty sheet flew off what it covered.“Ahek!-ahek!” coughed Twilight and Nyx. Once the dust settled Nyx could clearly see what stood before her. In front of her stood a large dark mirror with a skull engraved in the top. Nyx took a nervous step back.“He-he” giggled Twilight, “There’s nothing to be afraid of Nyx, it’s safe.” Nyx stood straight and looked at the large mirror. Soon curiosity took hold of her. She reached her hoof towards the large mirror in an attempt to touch it. Twilight took action and lightly batted Nyx’s hoof away.“Ow! What was that for?” Nyx asked rubbing her hoof.“I said ‘No touching’” she replied.“Yeah-yeah” grumbled Nyx still rubbing her hoof, “So what is it?”“This Nyx is an Avernus”, said Twilight with an in-a-matter-of-fact tone. Nyx stared at her mother.“And Aveng-what?” She asked.“An Avernus. It’s a special artifact from Pre-Celestial times! It is said to allow the user the ability to enter the Elysian Fields!”
she replied. Nyx blinked her eyes several times.“The what?!” she asked. Twilight slouched a bit at Nyx’s response.“The Elysian Fields, Nyx. That’s the Faustic afterlife.” She said. Nyx’s eyes widened before she ran to a shelf in the library. “What are you looking for Nyx?” Twilight asked. Nyx managed to pull a small book out of the shelf.“I’ve heard that word, Faust”, replied Nyx plopping the book on the floor and turning the pages. She landed on a picture of a large white alicorn with long red hair with a quill and inkwell as a cutie mark. “Faust is said to be the creator of Equestria and god of Harmony and Creation!” Twilight smiled.“Good job Nyx! I’m glad to see you’ve taken in some of the more advanced books.” Twilight praised, “Now as I was saying it is said all who go through life with kindness and harmony shall be gifted a place in the fields. This is an extremely powerful magical artifact that when used correctly can allow us to speak to them! Hundreds of long dead historical beings! We could talk to Star Swirl the Bearded, or Clover the Clever! We might be able to call on Celestia’s Parents!” While Twilight began to ramble on all the educational possibilities, Nyx turned to the tall mirror once more. She placed a hoof on the mirror, the ice cold surface of the glass sending shivers down her spine. Without turning to her mother she asked“How does it work?” .Nyx stared at the large engraved skull on the top of the mirror, curiosity calling out to her. Twilight stopped rambling and sighed without turning around.“I don’t know really. The merchant I got this from said it would require a large amount of magic sent into that engraving for it to work. The issue is I don’t know if that’s a large amount for a unicorn or an alicorn. I’ll be running tests tomorrow.”-Twilight yawned-“Come on Nyx, let’s hit the hay,” Twilight turned around and headed towards the stairs, Nyx's eyes hadn’t left the mirror.“I’m coming mom. Let me just… put these books away.”, Nyx replied. Twilight sleepily nodded ok and headed upstairs to her bed. Nyx stared at her reflection in the mirror a moment. Then an idea came to Nyx. A horrible, irresponsible, absolutely Cutie Mark Crusader material idea. She wanted to go through. She turned her head to see her mother already upstairs in bed. She charged up her horn and sent a small burst of blue magic into the engraving. The indentation slowly filled with blue energy. When the engraving was fully filled a light shined out of the mirror. Nyx slowly moved her hoof across the surface of the mirror and saw how it rippled with her touch. Nyx smiled.“Well mom, the portal needs a large amount of magic for a Unicorn ”, Nyx whispered in an attempt to not wake up her mother. She took a quick glance to see that Twilight was not coming back downstairs. She touched the mirror again seeing it ripple before sticking her whole hoof through. The rest of her body followed and she was gone with a flash that filled the whole tree and even shone a bit outside. Twilight had not awoken.