• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 1,154 Views, 32 Comments

A Lost Soul in a Lonely World - flawlessvictory20



One day my life was perfect. Isn't it funny how one bad thing can change your whole life? My name is Golden Wings and this is my story.

  • ...
2
 32
 1,154

Chapter 03 - Where do I go From Here?

It was long night for me. When I would get comfortable enough to sleep, the images of my mom dying would fill my mind. After tossing and turning I eventually was able to get some sleep. That time was brief because I was woken up by Ms. Hooves busting the door opening. Still a little groggy, look to see her scanning the room to see if everypony is still asleep.

“Wake up, brats! It's time for school!” she barked.

I then see everypony leave their beds and line up in front of her.

Geez, what is this place? A boot camp?

Given what I've been through in the last 24 hours, school was the last place I wanted to go right now. So, I simply wrap myself with the tattered sheet and lie in my bed. Before I could drift off, I feel myself being levitated off my bed. I then look to see that it Ms. Hooves who has me in her magical grasp.

“And what do you think you're doing?” she hisses.

“I don't feel like going to school tod-” I start.

This was quickly cutoff by her thrusting me to the floor. I see the other foals slightly winch, as they hear me crash to the floor. While still in her magical grip, I rise to my hooves. She levitates me to where I'm looking into her eyes. Pressing her snout against mine, she says,

“Are we really going to start off the day like this, brat?” she yells.

Why does keep calling me that?

“But I-” I try to say.

This is cut short by a familiar pressure around my body. As it is lightly crushing my being, I see the sinister glare on Ms. Hooves face.

“Listening up, ya little grass stain. If all you little foals don't go to school, this orphanage doesn't get the money it needs to stay open. And that would mean all these foals would be without a home. But more importantly, I would be without a job. And we wouldn't want that, would we?”

Frankly I could care less if she didn't have a job, but I didn't want the other foal to be homeless.

“No...” I strain.

“I didn't think so,” she says, with a smug smirk.

Releasing me from her magical grip, I plop onto the floor.

“Now get in line!” she barks.

Not wanting to cause any more problems, I quickly get in line. With all of us now in line, we march down to the front door. Once the at the door, she then casts a spell over all of us.

What was that?

“Okay, no hurry up or you'll be late,” she says with a fake smile.

“Yes, Ms. Hooves,” we all say.

As we walk out of the house, she gives us each a kiss on the forehead.

“Have a wonderful day, my little angels,” she says, as a few ponies pass by the front gate.

I hear the audible 'aww' come from the passing ponies. As I see trot off in the distance I could help but chuckle.

If they only knew.

+------------------+

“Crap! I'm gonna be late!” I say, dashing through Ponyville.

I had made detour to my old home to see what had became of it. I have no idea why, but I just had to see it one more time. I was shocked to find out that they had already tore it down. I was there longer than I intend to, and now I'm barreling to Ponyville to make to school on time.

I'm pretty sure there's a punishment for not getting to school on time, I say to my self. If I cut through here, I should be able to make it.

As soon as I turn the corner, I crash into an unsuspecting mare. Lying on the ground I soon regain my composure. I then look to the mare is still on her haunches.

“I'm sorry, ma'am. I didn't mean to run into you,” I say, extending a hoof.

Accepting my gesture, the shy blue unicorn rose to her hooves.

“Oh it's okay, little one,” she says, in a melodious voice. “What's your hurry? If you don't mind asking.”

“I'm running late for school. I really am sorry,” I continue to apologize.

She then pats my head.

“Don't worry about it,” she says, with a warm smile. “Now, why don't you run along now.”

“Okay, I will...” I say, before looking at her.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Her flowing black, which cascades down the left side of her face, her gentle brown eyes. Well aside from her color being a unicorn, she was the spiting image of my mother. My thoughts were interrupted by the mare voice.

“Um....something the matter, little one,” she asks, tilting her head.

“Oh, sorry,” I apologize. “You just look like somepony I knew...”

“Oh....well okay then. Um, don't you have somewhere to be, little one?” she asks.

Somewhere to be?

I then hear the school bell ring.

Oh, crap!

“Uh-oh, I gotta go Miss...uh...”

“My name's Shy Heart,” she replies.

“I'm Golden Wings,” I say, turning to run to the school. “It was nice meeting you, Ms. Shy Heart.”

“Bye, Golden Wings. It was nice meeting you, too,” she says, with a smile.

With no time to lose, I make a mad dash to the school.

+------------------+

Completely winded, I finally could see the school in my sights. Ms. Cheerilee was just about to close the door when she sees me galloping. As I reach the door a sat on my haunches to catch my breath. Looking up at Ms. Cheerilee, I could tell she was surprised to see me at school.

“G-Golden, I thought that you would've stayed home today?”

“I tried to but Ms. Hooves wouldn't let me,” I explain.

“Wouldn't let you? What do you mean?” she asks, with an arched eyebrow.

“Well, she-,” I start.

Then feel a slight pressure on my throat, which caused me to cough.

What the hay?!

Clearing my throat, I try again.

“She forc-”

The same thing happens again. Ms. Cheerilee looks at me with a concern.

“Are you okay, Golden?”

“Yeah...just a little tickle in my throat,” I lie. “Anyways, Ms. Hooves-”

Again I couldn't say anything.

What's going on? Why can't I-

At that moment, it hit me like a ton of bricks. That spell she cast on us before we left the house. It must be stopping me from saying negative about Ms. Hooves.

I can't believe how sadistic that mare is...

Gathering myself I then look at Ms. Cheerilee, who has look on her face that was a mixture of confusion and worry. I try to think of an excuse that wouldn't be a lie. Then I thought of it.

“I just had to come to school, Ms. Cheerilee. I know my mom would've wanted me to keep up my schoolwork,” I say.

I then feel Ms. Cheerilee's hoof on my shoulder.

“Golden, I know you've been through a lot. You can go home if -”

“NO!” I nearly shout, which made her retract her hoof.

The last thing I want is to be alone her, I think to myself.

I then clear my throat.

“I mean, thanks for being understanding Ms. Cheerilee. But I think I'll be able to get through class.

She looks at me for a moment, and then gives me a warming smile.

“Okay, but if you need to step outside for a moment you can. Okay, Golden Wings,” she says.

“Yes, ma'am,” I reply.

“Alright now let's hurry in, class is starting,” she says, ushering me inside.

I quickly make my way inside. Before I could get all my hooves in the door, Scootaloo calls out to me.

“Golden, there you are,” she says running up to me.

Her two friends also trotting up right behind her.

“Hi, Golden Wings,” smiles Sweetie Belle.

“Uh, hi... Sweetie Belle right?”

“Yep!”

“We were thinking that you weren't coming,” says the yellow filly.

“Why's that?” I ask.

I see them turn their gazes toward the ground.

“We...heard about your mom...” says Sweetie Belle.

“Oh...” I respond.

I figured the other foals would've heard about it by now. But I didn't think it would've been this fast.

“Yeah I really don't wanna talk about it,” I say.

“Well, if y'all ever need somepony to talk to, you can come see us,” Apple Bloom.

That kinda made me feel better.

“Thanks you guys,” I smile.

“Well, if it isn't Cutie Mark Losaders,” says a voice behind the girls.

We turn to see the pink and gray fillies from the other day. As I see the three of them glare at the two of them, I immediately knew that these fillies were not friend.

“What you doing here Diamond Tiara?” frowns Apple Bloom.

“Anything we want losers,” the gray filly replies.

“No one asked you Silver Spoon,” said Scootaloo.

Not wanting to be part of this fight, I try to make my way to my seat. But before I got too far, Silver Spoon steps in front of me.

“So are you going to join their little loser club too, blank flank?” she asks.

My patience was already on the low side and this filly was already pushing it. I neither want nor need to be involved with their petty squabble. I look at her with a cold glare.

“First off, my name 's Golden Wings, not blank flank. And second, I've been through a lot the past 24 hours so if you wouldn't mind I'd like to get to my seat,” I say coldly.

Taking the hint, she quickly moves out of my way. As I made my way to my seat I could hear the other foals whispers, but I could care less. Sitting in my chair, Ms. Cheerilee is ready to being class.

+------------------+

During classes I would catch that Diamond Tiara filly glaring back at me. Ignoring her as best I could, I hear Ms. Cheerilee is asking for a volunteer to answer a problem on the board.

“Golden Wings...” she calls out.

“Yes, Ms. Cheerilee,” I answer.

“Would you mind solving this problem?” she asks.

“Sure thing, Ms. Cheerilee,” I reply.

Getting up from my seat, I make my way to the board. Before I reach the board, I feel something hit the back of my head. As the foals in class were laughing, I turn around to see a ball of paper on the floor next to me.

“Okay, who was the foal that threw that?!” Ms. Cheerilee asks.

No pony answers. After looking around, I see Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara snickering to each other.

Real mature, you two...

“If no pony speaks up then I'm canceling recess for the rest of the day,” Ms. Cheerilee threatens.

We all knew who threw it, but we also follow the unwritten 'No Snitching' rule.

“Very well, recess is canceled for the day.”

The whole class groans as their recess now taken away because of some immature foal. I shrug it off and proceed to the board. Looking at problem (7 x 3 = ?), I easily knew the answer. Taking the chalk I write the down the answer (21).

“Very good, Golden Wings,” smiles Ms. Cheerilee. “You can take your seat.”

“Okay.”

Making my way back to my seat, I'm tripped by Diamond Tiara. I look back to see her sticking her tongue at me.

This filly is really pushing it with me! I seethe.

“Golden are you okay?” asks Scootaloo, offering me a hoof up.

“Yeah, I just tripped,” I say, glaring back at Diamond.

She looks at Diamond and then to me.

“Oh, I see,” she says.

Helping me up, Scootaloo helps me to my seat. She leans in to whisper,

“Don't let them get to you,” she winks.

I don't why, but that made me smile a little.

“S-Sure,” I whispers.

Went back to my seat and the class continues.

+------------------+

It's lunch time now, and I'm sitting underneath the tree at the end of the playground. While a reading book, I hear hoof steps approaching me.

“Hey, Golden,” says a familiar voice.

I look up to see that it is Scootaloo and her friends.

“Hey, Scootaloo.”

“Mind if we sit with you?” she asks.

“Umm...no. Go right ahead,” I reply.

The three filly's form a semi-circle around me. After an awkward silence, Scootaloo speaks up.

“So, you're pretty good at math huh?”

“Yeah,” I say rubbing the back. “I learned it at my old school.”

“I was kind wondering if you can help us out with our math homework?

“Umm, sure. Are you guys bad at it?”

They nervously chuckle.

“You could say that,” Sweetie Belle smiles sheepishly.

“I see...”

Another awkward silence later, Sweetie Belle speaks up this time.

“So...um...,” Sweetie Belle starts. “I know it's sudden, but would you like to join the Cutie Mark Crusaders?”

“The who?” I asks.

“That's the name of our group,” Apple Bloom smiles. “We do a buncha stuff to try an' get our Cutie Marks.”

“Sounds interesting...”

“So, what do ya say, Golden. Wanna join?” asks Scootaloo.

“Well...” I say, tapping my chin with my hoof.

Before I could give answer, Diamond Tiara made her way over to us.

“Hey you!” she says, pointing a hoof at me.

“What...”

“You're gonna apologize to my friend for what you did to her earlier,” she sneers

She gotta be joking right?

“We're not in the mood for you Diamond,” Scootaloo sighs.

“Oh look, I didn't know chickens could talk?” Diamond scoffs.

Chicken?

Next thing that I knew, Scootaloo was snout to snout with the pink filly.

“I dare you to say that again!” Scootaloo yells.

“Ooh, the chicken's angry...” Silver Spoon teases.

“Sh-Shut up!” Scootaloo shouts.

“Yeah, she is not a chicken,” Sweetie Belle explains. “She's a dodo.”

The other foals began to laugh.

“Sweetie that's not helping,” says Apple Bloom.

I finally say something.

“Why are you calling her a 'chicken'? Did you wimp out of a dare or something?” I ask.

Diamond looks at me and chuckles.

“I forgot you're new here, so you don't know. Scootaloo hear is a pegasus pony...” she explains, circling Scootaloo. “Who can't even fly. How embarrassing...”

As I see the other foals laugh, I felt a stirring in my chest. I reminds of the foals from my other school that picked on me. Seeing that Scootaloo was almost on the verge of tears, something in me snaps.

“What's wrong with being a pegasus that can't?” I yell.

My angered words causes the crowd to fall silent.

“What was that?” Diamond says, glaring at me.

“I said, ' What's wrong with being a pegasus that can't?'”

“Well, for starters. She already eight-year old, but can't fly. Even Pound Cake was flying within a month after he was born.”

“So what. Some pegasi take longer to fly than others,” I say, defending Scootaloo.

“Why are you sticking up for that chicken?” she asks.

“That's not her name!”

Diamond flinches at my words.

“Why do you care? It not like you can't fly either...”

I take a step back at her words. She then smiles smugly at me.

“Now, I see. I guess birds of a feather flock together, huh,” she teases. “What's wrong, blank flank? Did your mommy not have time to teach how?”

“Don't you dare talk about her like that!”

“Oh, hit a nerve, did I? Or maybe she didn't because she thought it would've been a waste of her time.”

Hearing that, my blood came to a boil. In my rage, I tackle her to the ground. As I reached back to deliver a stomp to her face, her friend knocks me off of her. Before anything else could happen, I was grabbed Ms. Cheerilee.

“Golden Wings, what is the meaning of this?!” she bellows. “Why are you attacking a fellow.”

“It ain't his fault, Ms. Cheerilee,” speaks Apple Bloom. “Diamond Tiara started it.”

“Oh really?” she asks, with and arched eyebrow.

Before she could question me, I run from the schoolyard. Ignoring the pleads from my friends and Ms. Cheerilee for me to stop, I continue to run into town.

+------------------+

After running for a few minutes, I came to the park. Finding a bench, I sat down to take a rest. Rubbing my eyes, I lightly sob.

“Stupid, Diamond Tiara...”

She had no right to talk about my mother in that way. As I think about what happen I hear soft voice call out to me.

“Oh hello there. Why are you crying, little one?”

I look to see that it was the mare from earlier today. Shy Heart I believe her name was. Wiping her eyes, I turn to her.

“Huh? Oh hi, Ms. Shy Heart. It's nothing,” I say after a sniffle.

She then places a hoof on my shoulder.

“Well, it doesn’t look like nothing to me,” she says with a concern frown. “You want to tell me what's wrong?”

“Okay. I was at school a filly named Diamond Tiara who was picking on me. I normally ignore stupid foals like that, but I've been through a lot in the past twenty-four hours.”

“Oh... Well, don't worry her,” she says, with a gentle smile. “You should just be happy, and not let that filly get to you.”

Just hearing her say that gave me a little comfort. Wiping the tears from my eyes, I smile at her.

“That's something my mom would've said...”

“Would have? Where is you mother, little one?” she asks.

No sooner than I hear her say that, my eyes begin to water. Fighting back the tears, I turn away from her. As I try not to cry, I hear slight gasp.

“You mean... Oh I'm so sorry...” she says, as she wraps me in a hug.

This simple embrace gave so much comfort. I nuzzle her chest as I melt into the caring hug.

“It's okay. You didn't know,” I sniffle.

As she let me go, she looks at me with a gentle smile.

“Say, would you like to get some ice cream?” she asks.

I could feel my face morph into massive grin.

“Ice cream? Yes!” I nod furiously.

She giggles at my reaction.

“Come on, its my treat,” she smiles

“Yay!” I say, bouncing in place.

We then head to Sugarcube Corner.

+------------------+

While at Sugarcube Corner, we both enjoy our ice cream cones. As I was eating she asks,

“So, where u from?”

“I'm from Fillydelphia. My mom and me moved here after my dad passed away,” I say, a little melancholy.

“Oh.... I'm so sorry to hear that.”

“That's okay. It was rough but my mom pulled us through it,” I say, with a small smile.

I then stare at my ice cream.

“Y-Yesterday, my m-mom died in my hooves,” I say, as I feel the tears start to surface. “She was all I had left in the world and now she's gone.”

As the tears stream down my face, I feel her hoof lift my chin to meet her gaze.

“Hey don't cry anymore. You don't ever have to feel that you're alone,” she says with a warm smile, then places a hoof on my chest. “Because they'll always be watching over you. And even if they're not here physically, they'll always be in your heart.”

Her words move me down to my very core. At that moment, everything seem to be right with the world. After wiping away me tears, I give her a tight hug.

“Thanks, Ms. Shy Heart.”

“You can just call me Shy,” she replies.

“Thank you, Shy,” I smile.

“Anytime, Golden Wings,” she smiles back.

This tender moment was interrupted, by the chime of the door bell. I look to see that Scootaloo had just came in. The way she is looking around, I guess she is looking for somepony. She then looks my way and smiles.

“There you are Golden. I've been looking everywhere for you,” she beams.

As she walks over to our table, she notices Shy Heart.

“Hi there. I'm Scootaloo, who are you?” she smiles.

“Oh, my name is Shy Heart,” Shy answers.

“Nice to meet you.”

Scootaloo then turns to me.

“Ms. Hooves is looking for you,” she says, nervously shifting.

“Really? Why?”

“Beats me...” she shrugs.

“Okay. Well, I'll see you around, Shy. Thanks for the ice cream and the talk it really helped.”

“No problem. I'll see you around,” she says, with a warm smile.

We then leave Sugarcube corner.

That time I spent with Shy Heart helped my put my circumstances in perspective. True I may have lost my mom physically, but with her memory in my heart she will never truly be gone. I feel a smile form on my face, as I look back to Sugarcube Corner.

Thanks, Shy

Author's Note:

Many thanks to fluttercord45 for allowing me to use her OC character Shy Heart.