• Published 14th Dec 2013
  • 1,091 Views, 4 Comments

The Things You Do In A Mirror - Fury Harper



Applejack secretly loves Rarity but she soon loses her chance. Or does she? EG universe.

  • ...
6
 4
 1,091

Socks and Such


And that was how Applejack was now standing in front of the castle gates. It wouldn’t be easy to get through the castle undetected. With no magic or wings Applejack would need to be crafty. Zecora did help. Along with the potion she had equipped Applejack with a map of the castle and the mirror’s new home, a quad of green striped socks, and a messenger bag with an apple on the front. If she didn’t know better she could have sworn that Zecora had planned the whole thing all along. How she had a map of the castle Applejack didn’t know. How she knew that the mirror had been moved, deemed no longer a threat for another twenty nine years, was also a mystery. That zebra had more than a few tricks up her bangles.

This wasn’t her first time entering the Goddesses’ haven. Her and her friends had been warmly invited on multiple occasions. Whether it be the Grand Galloping Gala, the Royal Wedding, or just to hang out with Celestia and Luna when they got bored of being royal. She still couldn’t believe a farmhand like herself had become a regular visitor. And now a regular trespasser.

Guilt crept into her mind. Celestia and Luna were technically her friends too and she was going behind their backs in their home. It’s for a good reason AJ. It’s for love. If friendship is the seed then love is the tree. Wait. Where did that come from? The orange mare rolled her eyes at herself. I've spent too much time with Rarity. Starting to sound as dramatic as her. Applejack sighed. She unwillingly opened the bag and pulled out the purple potion.

The potion itself wasn’t terrible. The soap smell had faded as a strong lilac taste took over Applejack’s mouth. Her throat had started to burn with the aftertaste eliciting some coughing. Just like drinking Granny’s prohibition moon shine cider. Does Zecora get drunk in the woods on her own potions? Applejack shrugged. It wasn’t her business. She quickly stuffed the potion back in her bag and pulled out the socks. She was careful to pull them over her bandaged limbs.

She wasn’t used to wearing much on her feet because any shoe would break after being slammed over and over again into a tree. She did admit that the green was a nice color on her orange fur. Gosh. Now I am starting to think like Rarity too. Next I’ll be matching my hat with my… hair? Rolling her eyes Applejack gingerly walked over to the main entrance of the royal library. Her story was simple. She was on a trip to Canterlot and Twilight had asked her to pick up a book from the library since she hadn’t been planning on visiting until her flight lessons were over. In theory this would work but being the Element of Honesty was bogging Applejack down. I should be the Element of feeling guilty.

Even with her nagging conscience Applejack’s hooves had kept their pace past the guards who nodded warmly at her and through the tall columns of the public part of the castle. The library’s entrance was only a door and staircase away. Maybe she could make it without running into sweet… “CELESTIA!”

“Why hello my little pony. It is a pleasant surprise to see you here, and without the company of your friends. Is everything alright?”

No. “Yes! I mean no.” Celestia’s face became concerned.

“Well whatever it is you can tell me.Surely I can help.”

“Ahm… on a trip to the royal library for…”, myself because it’s the room before the room with the mirror. “To… um, find some…learnin'” Some learning? The way I'm acting I need some 'learning'. I'm a big fat liar. But technically I haven't lied yet...I do need to learn how to get to that room. Sweat started forming on her brow.

“Learning is one of the great joys of life. The library does have many different volumes. Did Twilight recommend something to you?”

“Yeah. I got a recommendation…” from Zecora, “to find something I’ve never seen before.”

“That sounds like my student. A role model for personal exploration. Her enthusiasm for knowledge can be contagious don’t you think?” Celestia looked off into the distance. A dreamy look appeared upon her face but was quickly replaced by a more regal smile.

“Yes.” I’m going be sick. There had been some talk between ponies that Celestia and her student were more than mentor and mentee. It was hard to tell with Celestia. She had had literally thousands of years to practice her poker face. But love always has a way of breaking down even the strongest of walls and facades.

“Applejack are you alright? You seem to be heating up.” Celestia had noticed the sheen on Applejack’s forehead.

“Ah’m ok. It’s these socks.” That’s right AJ. You got this.She grabbed the top of a sock with her teeth pulling down enough to reveal the bandages.

“Oh my! What happened to your legs? Do you need medical attention?”

“No no. I went to Zecora for some help with my… ‘tree’… and on the way I wasn’t paying attention and I got hurt.” Celestia nodded following Applejack’s story. “She bandaged me up and suggested wearing socks.”

“An interesting suggestion. Did she mention why socks help your legs?”

“You know ah don’t know exactly why she suggested ah wear socks to help mah legs.” Come on… hook.. “but she mentioned ah might find out here how they can be useful. Ah remembered Twilight has had many adventures… here. Reading books.” Line… “So ah too came here... To have an adventure.” and sinker.

If Celestia thought Applejack’s behavior was odd she wasn’t showing it.

“I see. Well my little pony I hope you watch your step a little better in the future. I’m glad the library can be of use to my subjects. For so long it was limited to only the royal family but I can’t read that many books alone. Books, or adventures as you say, should be shared.” With that Celestia walked away. As soon as she was no longer in eyesight and earshot Applejack collapsed. Zecora had been right. The socks muffled her fall.

A bead of sweat hit the marble. Never again. Half truths are still whole lies in my book. Lying to Celestia of all ponies! She could just imagine her element necklace breaking in half. Snorting at the image Applejack lifted herself, legs shaking, and proceeded to walk into the library.

And then proceeded to get lost in said library for an hour. Zecora’s map wasn’t by most definitions descriptive. All it had was the main entrance, the library, and the room behind the library used to store magical artifacts. It didn’t say anything about multiple dusty bookshelves and long rows leading to nowhere. She had passed the same guard four times nervously smiling during each occasion. Eventually the guard had started smiling back. He probably thinks I’m attracted to him. Wait that could work.

“Hi. Sir. How ya doin’ today?”

“As long as the Sun shines I am content.” A Celestia groupie. Figures. “And yourself?”

“Well… Ah am a little lost.”

“I wondered why you were coming back this way so many times.” Applejack smiled sheepishly.

“Yeah. Ah don’t come too often to this library.”

“Anything in particular you need help with?”

“Isn’t there supposed to be a librarian for that?”

“There is, but today is their day off.” Just my luck.

“Well I was interested in learning more about… socks… and Zebras.” The guard smiled unfazed.

“Sure. Socks could be labeled under garments, fashion, feet, or socks.” He pointed to each row. They were in what once could have been considered alphabetical order. “And Zebras. Well that’s near the back. Or the front under animals.” They continued walking row to row, each looked identical to all the others except for one near the Quadlings, Quids, and Quips section where a door was barely visible being obscured by a large stack of books.

“And that?” Applejack pointed at the door.

“Probably a pile in need of re-shelving.” The guard shrugged his shoulders “Only one royal librarian. Poor guy needs an assistant.” Applejack nodded.

“Thank you kindly.” Applejack trotted over to the piles of books blocking the door. The only door she had seen other than the entrance. This has to be it. Slowly but surely she moved books albeit the disgusting taste dust left in her mouth. Finally the door was free, but was it locked? A quick turn of the knob proved it wasn’t. Applejack breathed a sigh of relief. Easy peasy apple squeezy.

Author's Note:

Blerg.

Comments ( 1 )

Keep up the good work ! =D

Login or register to comment