• Published 14th Dec 2013
  • 1,091 Views, 4 Comments

The Things You Do In A Mirror - Fury Harper



Applejack secretly loves Rarity but she soon loses her chance. Or does she? EG universe.

  • ...
6
 4
 1,091

Momentous

Applejack and Pinkie Pie rounded the corner of the boutique to find Twilight, Spike, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash already waiting outside.

“Howdy y’all.” Applejack greeted her best friends. They saw each other daily but it didn’t mean she didn’t enjoy their company… most of the time. Twilight and Fluttershy nodded their hellos while Rainbow Dash looked disinterested.

“Hey Applejack. What took you so long?” The cyan colored pony said crossing her arms in a smug fashion. It didn’t take much to get Rainbow Dash and Applejack started. Most of the group thought the two ponies secretly had the hots for each other but that wasn’t the case. They just were hot headed, competitive, and loved to argue.

“Ah was working. What were you doin’?” Applejack said unimpressed.

“I was…” Rainbow Dash paused for a moment... “not working.”

“Is that a comeback?” Twilight asked. “Spike take note: what is a comeback? Add to the To Do list ‘research comebacks and other plays on language and fighting words.”

“Fighting werds! Hah! Dash couldn’t fight with werds unless they started the fight ferst!”

“Oh yeah? It’s not like you can even say words the right way.” Rainbow Dash snatched Applejack’s hat and plopped it on her own head. “I’m Applejack n I like werds, dur dah dur dur apples.”

“Oh my.” Fluttershy gasped and backed into a bush. Twilight took vigorous notes and Pinkie… well Pinkie was eating a cupcake but what else is new?

“You think yer all clever like cause you got mah hat?” Applejack reached over her shoulder and undid the band around her mane. She proceeded to whip her mane back and forth until it had a ragged windslapped look to it. AhI’m Rainbow Dash and ah can’t werk a day without napping for half o’ it! Dah dur da dur dur Wonderbolts” Rainbow Dash squinted menacingly at Applejack. An insult to her was one thing, but her Wonderbolts were another story.

“Applebucker!”

“Cloudhumper!”

“Dirthugger!”

“Lazyplot!”

“LADIES!” an elegant yet loud voice boomed over the quarreling mares. Spooked, Rainbow Dash dropped the Stetson and Applejacks hair blew out to its normal self. “Behave yourselves really.” The cyan and orange pair looked sheepishly at the ground. “Especially today of all days, when such a momentous occasion is upon us.” This perked the group up. This was the reason they had gathered. Not to watch Rainbow and Applejack have another war about who was the best anything, in this case the best pony at making up crappy insults.

“I love occasions!” Pinkie squeaked. The chia pet that had become Fluttershy was mouthing ‘yay’ but nothing could be heard. Twilight stopped scribbling and looked up. Spike was drooling.

“What’s up Rarity?”

“Yes that is the question of the hour my dear Twilight. What is up? What is up may never come down for it is my head and my heart. Trapped on cloud nine like a Pegasus’s first failed attempts to walk in Cloudsdale. Like a balloon ever rising towards the unforgiving sun I am prepared to burst!”

“Cloud what now? Nine? Is that a new place in Cloudsdale?” Rainbow shook her head and shrugged at Applejack.

“Darling Applejack,” the ivory mare cooed. The orange mare felt her knees weaken. Darn mah legs! “Cloud nine is a lover’s paradise. A place of little strife brimming with passion!” Oh no… no no no… She knows and she’s going to tell everyone. I got to stop this!

Applejack raised a hoof. “Look Rare’s, I gotta stop yah there.” Rarity balked.

“But why? I was about to explain the journey to my current emotional condition. For it is an affliction. Incurable. Yet necessary to live!” Rarity reared back on her hind legs striking a dramatic pose. The right side of her mouth opened slightly. “Spike, be a dear and get my fainting couch ready.”

“On it!” The chipper green dragon ran to retrieve said couch.

“No No No!” Applejack stomped her front hooves down “Rarity there will be no fainting couches. None o’ that.”

“But Applejack.” Rarity whined.

“No but Applejack because ah already know what yer gonna say.”

“You do?”

“Ah know ah should have said somethin’ earlier but ah didn't think it was the right time. There probably is never gonna be a right time. Maybe you thought this was the only way to get me to say what ah needed to say.” That makes sense. Rarity knew I wouldn’t be courageous enough to do it on my own. Impatient imp.

“Of course Applejack! I am so glad you were aware of this. I mean it makes so much sense with you being related and all. Of course family would talk.”

“Wait… what?”

“He must have slipped some hints your way. Oh he isn’t good at keeping secrets I guess.” Rarity raised her hoof to a curtain usually used to hide unreleased pieces of Rarity’s collection. “Now Opal!” The obese cat rolled her eyes but yanked a tassel next to the curtain. The curtain dropped revealing a male pony scratching his nose.

“What? Oh… sorry Rarity. I fergot the cue.”

“It’s ok love.” Rarity turned to the mares that were in various stages of shock. “He apparently isn’t good at grand entrances either. Oh well.” Fluttershy’s wings had sprung up of their own accord and she was in the process of turning into a cherry chia pet. Rainbow’s jaw reached the ground which was impressive considering she was five feet in the air. Twilight cocked her head and took out another note pad upon which she quickly started covering in notes. Spike had just finished pushing the couch and was too winded to care.

“Braeburn!” Pinkie shrilled happy to welcome someone new yet familiar to Ponyville. Every new pony required a one of a kind Welcome to Ponyville by Pinkie Pie Party Paloosa. This one would be even more special because it was a Welcome to Ponyville and We Are Already Friends cause we helped save your valley and create an alliance with the Buffalo Whoopah! By Pinkie PieParty Paloosa Bonanza. Which means there would be bananas. Lots and lots of bananas.
Applejack meanwhile hadn’t moved. Her eye was twitching but the rest of her body was frozen.

“Hi Cousin Applejack. Long time no see.” Braeburn said tipping his hat.

“Spike?”

“Yes Applejack?”

“Yah got that couch Rarity asked fer?”

“Yup its right here” Spike chirped pointing to the couch which was conveniently in front of Applejack.

“Thanks Spike.” Applejack said before passing out in a dramatic fashion that would and did make Rarity jealous.

The alabaster mare chuckled nervously. “Well, I did mention it would be momentous.”

Author's Note:

So I have some chapters in the works. I want to be consistent but I posted this today to make sure the story at least has a pull for the reader. Additionally, in case anyone noticed, the italics are Applejack's thoughts. Which I don't believe would read like her accent. If anything AJ is thinking words the right way but they come out slightly different when out loud. Anyways. Yay!