• Published 9th Dec 2013
  • 2,314 Views, 85 Comments

Crashing Equestria - Wrecking Ball



The Grey Crasher always gets the short end of the stick. I mean who else would to get hit by a mirror falling out of an evil flying castle?

  • ...
5
 85
 2,314

Chapter 5: The end of Sanity

Today had been a long day, too long. Gray was starting to miss the heart pounding, adrenaline pumping buzz that he got from combat with the four. Thankfully though, it was finally coming to an end as the train blazed away from the Crystal Empire and towards a place called "Ponyville", just as the sun dipped below the horizon.

What kind of train needs to be pulled by horses anyway? Isn't that the point of the engine?

The carriage was coated from top to bottom in red velvet with gold trimming; the floor, chairs, sofa, bartender's vest, everything. The bar was also quite a sight to see, four taps of imported beer, more bottles of alcohol than you'd care to shake a stick at, hors d'oeuvres and club sandwiches on silver platters. Even the armchairs had little doilies that where swiftly changed whenever somepony hopped out of their seat.

Gray fidgeted in his chair, a cocktail glass in hand full of potion, as he questioned the horse's logic and tried to get comfortable in the chair obviously designed for the four legged species of this world.

This place wouldn't last five minutes if the others were here.

Finally achieving an acceptable position to lie down Gray continued to sip his cocktail potion. He twirled the umbrella in his drink and ate the slice of pineapple, all the while thinking back on the day that had passed. After the scuffle with Luna proceedings were finally able to get underway.

First thing on the agenda was establishing who everyone was. He had already picked up on the names of Luna and Celestia but Gray was also introduced to their niece, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, or Cadance as she insisted to be called. She seemed nice enough, always smiling and didn't seem too peeved that Gray had technically broken her vases. Then there was Cadance's husband, Gray's jailor and captain of the guard, Prince Shining Armor, who at the time the fight broke out had taken up a defensive position in front of his wife.

After introducing themselves there was a pregnant pause as they all looked to Gray, waiting for something. Then it clicked. They wanted his name. How was he to tell them his name? He didn't speak, no one from where he came from spoke. He couldn't write either, writing wasn't a necessary skill to kill people. He new basic arithmetic but that was about it. With a heaving sigh his sat himself on the hard floor and began to ponder how he could converse with them.

After a few minutes of dead silence Gray did the only thing that came to mind, he extended his index finger and jabbed to the gray cross sewn into his tabard. A few more seconds of silence, and then a voice that Gray didn't think he would get to hear.

"Your name is... Cross?" questioned Shining Armor.

Shaking his head Gray jammed his finger slightly harder into his chest, trying to will his name into their mind.

Add a second finger. Ooh yeah that will get the point across.

A few more seconds of silence followed before Princess Cadence asked "Is your name Gray?" Gray responded by clapping his hands once and pointing both fingers towards the Princess. Maybe communication won't be as big of a deal as he thought. These ponies were obviously quite smart. Maybe they could even teach him to read and write. Possibilities for another time though, as Celestia had begun talking again.

She was now sitting on her haunches and was talking in a somber tone. "Well... Gray. I happen to have some bad news for you but first I think I owe you an explanation as to how you got here. In our world there exist many mirrors that create a kind of bridge between worlds. Your world is one of them. A few days ago we had collected your mirror in the hopes of stopping anything from coming through. Your presence here proves that we were unsuccessful and I am sorry to say this is where the bad news comes into play."

Heaving out a great sigh Celestia continued her story "You see, shortly after you passed through the mirror into our world, the mirror cracked, rendering it useless. This means that we are currently unable to return you to your own world. I understand that this may be a lot to take in at the moment but my sister and I are doing everything we can to set things right so you can return to your home."

This is where Gray lost his concentration. Unable to return home? For how long? Would he be able to return at all? What happened to his friends? Were they able to defeat The Necromancer? What about The Wizard? So many questions left unanswered all swimming around his head fighting for attention, effectively blocking out everything that Celestia said. It wasn't until the grand doors at the end of the hall groaned open that Gray was brought back to reality.

"Which brings me to the next subject on our agenda" Snapping his head back to Celestia, Gray again began to listen to what she was saying. The questions plaguing his mind were pushed out of the way for a time. "Until such a time as we are able to send you back home, you will need a place to stay. Originally we were going to have you stay here under my niece's supervision but, at the request of my student you will be staying with her so she can learn more about you." Gray could now hear the clopping of hooves approaching him from behind. "Twilight. So glad you could join us. This is Gray. Your new charge." said Celestia.

Turning around, Gray came face to face with another pegacorn. She had a well-kept lavender coat and a deep purple mane with a pink strip. An inquisitive look was on her face as it inched uncomfortably closer, to the point where Gray was forced to lean back so their faces would not make contact. Her eyes burrowed into Gray's as if trying to read his mind.

Suddenly pulling back the lavender pegacorn offered her hoof to Gray "Hello, I'm Princess Twilight Sparkle!" she exclaimed, an abnormally large grin plastered onto her face. It took Gray a few seconds to figure out what she wanted as her hoof dangled in front of him

Well she did say she was a princess.

Taking her hoof in his hands, Gray dropped to his knee and placed a chaste kiss on it. This however, was not the reaction Twilight must have been expecting, as her face turned red with an embarrassed blush and Gray could hear giggling coming from behind him.

Thinking back on it, it may not have been the best of first impressions to leave on royalty, but was definitely not the worst either. Afterwards it had just been more boring rules and bureaucratic garbage that Gray had just tuned out, walking a few steps behind the lavender pegacorn so as not to get lost until they were finally at the train and saying their goodbyes. Well the ponies were anyway, Gray just gave an awkward wave, not used to this much attention.

When he had gotten aboard the carriage designated for royalty and guests, the bartender had given him a look of mixed disgust and horror as he gulped down a mouthful of potion straight from the bottle. The bottle was quickly wrenched from his hands and emptied into a cocktail shaker along with a scoop of ice. After a bit of shaking and spinning the contents were poured into a large cocktail glass, umbrella and a slice of pineapple were added at which point the drink was levitated back over to Gray, a look of smug pride smeared across the bartenders face.

Taking the glass out of the air Gray went to down the rest of his potion so he wouldn't feel so sore. Just before he could throw it back though, he heard another distinct cough. Looking up to see who wanted his attention, his gaze met with that of the bartender again, another dirty look on his face. Heaving out a great sigh Gray took a delicate sip of his drink, giving the bartender a look that seemed to say 'Are you happy now?'. The bartender gave a content nod and went back to whatever he was doing before Gray had come in and inadvertently offended him.

That was the long and short of Gray's day. Finishing of the last few sips of his potion cocktail a thought occurred to Gray.

Where did that pegacorn go?

Not having seen Twilight for a while Gray began to think that maybe she hadn't got on the train after all. Maybe in his zombie stupor of boredom, he had gotten on the wrong train. Maybe she was- "So before we get to Ponyville, I think we should go over a few things." - sitting right behind him.

"So, first thing you will need to know is where you will be staying. Well, you will be staying with me but that's beside the point. I live in the Ponyville library, I know it's like a dream come true, getting to live in a library. This, by extension, means that you will be living at the library as well. Oooh! It will be like an extended slumber party... with an alien that I can study! Next you will need to know about my friends, first is-"

Does she ever close her mouth when she's excited? Well I'm sure she'll tire herself out eventually. I'll just grab a few Z's while she prattles on.

"Then there's Fluttershy. She takes care of sick and injured animals. I think you will get along great with her. She's kind and-"

***

Gray was awoken by the screeching of the trains wheels as it came to a stop. "Oh, we're here! Well I guess I will have to tell you about the Everfree Forest some other time then." said Twilight as she hopped from her chair with the grace of a ballerina. Gray on the other hand was far less refined, wiping the drool from his chin with his forearm and rolling off the chair, face first into the carpeted floor.

Now standing in front of the carriage door Gray was ready to go outside and stretch his legs "Now remember what I told you about Pinkie Pie. She means well but can go a bit... overboard when making a new friend." warned Twilight as she stood next to Gray.

Who's Pinkie Pie? Hmm maybe I should have listened. Ah well what the worst that could happen, I mean it's just a pon- Is that a cannon?

"Welcome to Ponyville!" and everything was colours.

Author's Note:

How do people constantly think of something interesting to write in these Authors notes?

Also, I know they're called Alicorns but Gray doesn't know that.

Thanks again to Mixtrak for pre-reading and again, go check out his story Wings in the Forest. It's way better than this.