• Published 9th Dec 2013
  • 2,319 Views, 85 Comments

Crashing Equestria - Wrecking Ball



The Grey Crasher always gets the short end of the stick. I mean who else would to get hit by a mirror falling out of an evil flying castle?

  • ...
5
 85
 2,319

Chapter 2: Two Sides to Every Bit

In another world not long ago events were also in motion approaching the entrance of our would be hero. Let us see what they were doing shall we?

***

“By now you have surely heard the tale of how Princess Twilight Sparkle traveled to another word by means of a magical mirror? Yes? No? Ah well that is a tale for another time. Anyway the mirror is what is important to this tale.”

“What if I told you that there were more of these mirrors scattered throughout the land? Each leading to mystical and strange lands found only in your wildest dreams. What if I told you that I had in my little shop here one such mirror? One that led to a land of small squarish creatures that partied, drank and fought for simple enjoyment? You would call me mad but let me assure you tha-”

“Yes I know there are more mirrors! Yes I know where they lead! Yes I know you have one! That is why I am here! To! Buy! It!” exclaimed an extremely frustrated Celestia at the now visibly frightened shopkeep.

After the incident with the mirror in the Crystal Kingdom Celestia had made an important note to keep an eye out for any more of the strange mirrors so they could be locked away and studied at the Crystal Empire, keeping her little ponies from harm's reach but still learning the secrets of the artifacts.

When she had heard of another mirror already located in the Crystal Empire she had dedicated much of her spare time to tracking it down. From owner to owner, collection to collection, it had become a tedious task that began to grate at her not-so-infinite patience. It was just the poor shopkeep's bad luck that he was the subject of this pent up frustration.

But, if what the shopkeep said was true and the creatures on the other side of this mirror fought for simple fun it would be catastrophic if they were to sneak through, not only for the Crystal ponies but for all of Equestria. This mirror had to be found.

“Many apologies Princess I should have known better. I-I um I am so sorry.” replied the shopkeep once he had gathered his nerves.

“It is fine. Here is a writ for the agreed upon amount. I will have people sent here to collect it this afternoon. Good day.” and without another glance the Princess of the Sun turned around and left.

***

After some time pushing papers and listening to the pleas of selfish nobles (A princess's life isn’t all smiles and celebrations) Celestia was sitting down to enjoy a spot of tea with her niece, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. The two enjoying idle chat about current affairs and indulging in a bit of gossip.

This kind of interaction was one of the few things that the princess of the sun craved. With everyone so awed by her it was hard to find friends to enjoy conversation with. They were either too timid, fearing they may offend in some way, or too busy trying to manipulate her to get what they wanted. Those that tried to manipulate her never got very far though, she took pride being a perfect judge of character.

Enjoying this small pleasure there was still something tugging at the back of her mind. The mirror had been delivered not an hour past. Even now, when it was in the reliable hooves of Cadence's most esteemed guards, there was something that told her to expect anything.

When it arrived there had been two things that surprised Celestia about the delivery. The Mirror itself wasn’t anything spectacular, it sported the look of an old drawbridge gate with the gate drawn, but what surprised her about it was that no matter what she did she could not make the gate lower, by magic or force. After a time of attempting to open it she had decided it was a blessing in disguise, for as long as the gate was shut nothing could pass through it.

The other surprise that came with the mirror was the small assortment of paintings that came with it. Like the shopkeep had described they were of small squarish creatures somewhat like what twilight had described when she came back from the other side of the mirror. Most of them were quite plain, portraits, landscapes and such, but three of them really caught her eye.

One was of four knights coloured red, green, orange and blue. They appeared far more intimidating than the colourless knights that appeared in many of the other paintings. The four wielding mighty weapons and sporting looks of pure determination.

The second image... now Celestia had seen many strange and wonderful things in her life but not many managed to send a chill down her spine like this painting did. It was a portrait of one of the creatures clad in black steel. The creatures armor was viciously scratched in places and had two large horns jutting out of the sides of its helmet. This made the creature scary in its own right but what sealed the deal was the two piercing red orbs that were where its eyes should have been almost looking out of the painting itself, observing the new world that it saw.

The final was of a noble figure clad in a purple robe with fur lining; scruffy white hair covering what she assumed was its face. It was sitting upon a grand throne with a crown upon its head with many grey steel clad knights standing under the great pedestal, upon which its throne sat. Obviously this was their royal leader who commanded the respect of its people.

When she looked closer she saw that one of the many knights was sitting at a table to the side of the hall, a note before it and a mug of something gripped in its claws, looking sceptically outwards as if someone had secretly taken its picture and it had spotted the photographer as the flash went off.

Upon looking back over some of the paintings she saw this knight again and again. Distinguishable from the other knights by its somewhat burlier physique and its almost trademark skeptical look as it seemed to be looking towards the painter. There was even a portrait of the creature, skeptic look and all. Likely a form of signature or recurring joke the artist liked to include when they could.

She was abruptly brought back to reality when none other than Shining Armor all but smashed the door to her niece’s room from its hinges. “Princesses you must come quickly! The gate to the mirror has opened!” sparing not a second Celestia had dropped her cup, shattering it as it hit the ground, and was already galloping towards the Crystal Empire's reliquary with Shining Armor and Princess Cadence in tow.

***

Arriving at the reliquary a pair of guards hastily opened the doors to reveal that there were yet more guards inside, armed and armored, taking up positions around the mirror. Striding forward with Shining and Cadence flanking her she took up a position directly in front of the mirror ready to deal with whatever might try to break through. Thinking of what to say if they were friendly or how to deal with them if they were hostile.

The mirror began to shimmer, something was coming through!

Everyone present leaned forward slightly to get a better look at whatever might be coming through the magical gateway. What none of them were prepared for was for a small grey and very much alive something to rocket out and punch Celestia in the muzzle. Rearing back in pain Celestia did not notice the creature drop to the ground under her hooves just in time for her to stomp back down in frustration, crushing the poor things face in the process.

Looking back down at what she had inadvertently done she noticed that the creature was bleeding profusely from his... head? It was hard to tell through her blurred vision. Brushing this aside she realized just how badly she might have hurt the small thing. At this realization she muttered a single word.

“Oops.”

After a few seconds of complete stillness it was Shining who made the first move. Picking it up with his magic he turned quickly and began barking orders at the guards present “You! Take this thing to the dungeon! You! Find a nurse to help Celestia! You Four! Find a way to barricade the mirror so nothing else can get through!” The guards immediately began rushing around with their respective tasks.

After a few more moments of shock Celestia turned around with a dignified twist (or as dignified as you can be after being hit in the face with a small inter-dimensional being along with a bleeding muzzle and frazzled hair) and started towards her guest room. Far too many strange things had happened today and there had not been enough time to contemplate them. She needed some time alone to properly organize her thoughts.