• Published 7th Dec 2013
  • 6,094 Views, 29 Comments

A dream of daylight - Crimson_Moonlight



Princess Celestia of Equestria is feeling heavy with sadness and regrets, Cadence's wedding seems to have stirred up the Alicorn's heart and she needs comfort...Luckily our favorite Magic school Student is close at hoof!

  • ...
11
 29
 6,094

Dawning

"We'll catch you later, Twi." Came the shout of her cyan-furred friend as the lavender unicorn watched the blur of rainbows taper off. The pegasus mare was already speeding off to Ponyville to catch up with her friends on the train back home.


It'd been an interesting last few days; a changling invasion and a wedding spliced into a combat scene. Twilight had to hold up a hoof to her lips to stifle a laugh. The changling queen had been no joke, neither was her incredible army, but they'd still won. She took a moment to stare up at the slightly discolored sky, night coming quick in the late hours.


"Hmm, where's Luna...?" She idly asked herself, slowly trotting away from the window and not seeing the Princess of the Night where she usually stood to raise the moon. Shrugging she dismissed the odd concern, the Sisters didn't need to be in one specific place to raise or lower their charges, so maybe she was down by the garden.


Briefly, Twilight realized she didn't need to go find Princess Luna, it was just an odd passing thought, swerving to avoid bumping herself into one of the maids of the castle she kept wandering the halls. Celestia had been so inviting and kind to ask her to stay over and see to the organizing and everything. She 'had' gotten named official group organizer of the Winter Wrap up team after all, but it still made a little smile come to her muzzle when she thought of her Princess's words.


"Twilight..." She perked her ears, turning as the voice wasn't in her head. She bowed with a stammer as the Princess had just appeared behind her, she hadn't even heard the hoofsteps. "Now what are you doing so far in the castle, my little pony?" She asked tenderly, a loving mother's smile on her face.


"Far?...uh" Taking a beat to look around the unicorn realized she was right in front of Celestia's chambers. 'how did I trot this far? I need to watch where I'm going, oh what if I had just barged in while lost in thought?!' Her mind racing as she tried to come up with an apology.

Raising a golden shoed white hoof to stop her dearest and most prized student from continuing, the Alicorn just kept up that smile of motherly affection as she began to stroll toward the large double doors, guarded by her Sun Guard stallions and emblazoned with a large Sun symbol that matched her cutie mark. "No apologies, it's quite alright. Follow me, please."


The unicorn blinked, staring after the Princess before her mind kicked her body into gear. She fell into step with the princess, visibly nervous at what she was needed for, or if she'd be punished. She nodded with a nervous smile to the guards who held the doors open and then let them shut behind the two.


As the Alicorn allowed her student to take in her chamber, a study more then a room, books lining the shelves along the walls, most looking ancient and precious, a large bed and white and gold being the dominant colors along with accents that matched the Alicorn ruler's pastel mane. She turned to her student and rested a hoof over her chin, lifting her head up "I'm not displeased with you, Twilight, though you really should watch where you are going."


The unicorn shook, trying to nod as the hoof held her head high, making her stare up at the imposing and motherly white furred Princess. The smile on the Princess's face took away a bit of the nervousness "R-right, I'm sorry, Princess. I'll be much more careful about being lost in thought..." She said, watching the larger pony nod before her chin was let go, or rather as the Alicorn brushed her hoof down the unicorn mare's neck, then proceeded to drop to the floor again.


Giving her own nod and closing her eyes as she trotted towards the back of her room, Celestia softly replied to her student "It's understandable, you've had quite a lot to do in the past few days, Twilight." She gestured and the unicorn had to almost run to catch up to the much longer legged pony's steps. "After your brother's wedding, and even before, you've been dealing with quite a lot lately. It makes me very proud of you, you've handled every challenge, even one I myself...could not." A sad look flickered on the Alicorn's face, which she hid with a smile that didn't match her eyes.


Twilight picked up on this, particularly as she was attentively listening to every word her Princess said. "No not at all Princess, please don't say things like that. You could of beaten that queen if she wasn't stealing my brother's energy." The unicorn tried to say in as comforting a way as she could, she was idly confused by the way the sad look kept up for a moment longer before it was swapped out for a look of appreciation.


"Be that as it may, my subjects count on me, all of my little ponies depend on me for strength..." The Alicorn looked thoughtful as she took a few steps, looking down at her student, the unicorn she'd taught since she was just a filly. "And I suppose...I suppose I can tell you this, since you are my most trusted student...and ....a friend as well."


Twilight Sparkle had to take a moment to soak that in, at first she felt helpless in wanting to be there for her Princess, then, as if struck by a stray lightning bolt, she blinked and stared up at the Alicorn. 'Friend?! I...she...what?!' Taking a moment to make sure she did NOT blurt those words out to her mentor and the ruler of equestria, she coughed and gave a brief nod "Uh y-yes...We are friends, I..I guess, I'll always try to be helpful to you, Princess. I mean...it's the least anypony could do." She said with another nervous smile and a bit of a blush from how very awkward she thought she sounded.


That motherly smile was back again, but it was also sad, or was it pleased? Twilight's eyes played tricks on her with the Alicorn's regal and trained expressions. Celestia nodded slowly as she leaned closer "Yes, you are my friend, Twilight, we've known each other since you were so young, I would like to think we are friends at the least." She shook her head gently.


"Um...you...You wanted to tell me something, Princess?" The unicorn asked, curiosity getting the better of her.


Another nod from the long necked and large alicorn princess. "Indeed...I trust that what I tell you will remain between us?" A very fast few nods from the lavender mare confirmed her request and she continued "With Caddie married, and my dear Sister taking over duties for the night I have found more spare time for myself after this long last thousand years....time that I have found myself.....quite lonely." The Alicorn began to pace towards the bed as she spoke, gently laying herself on it.


The unicorn was suppressing panic like a rising flood against a dam of twigs. She stared up at the regal and wonderful Princess who was also her mentor, staring back at the nervous mare. "I..I see, I can understand that, I guess..."


The Princess leaned forward, reaching out a hoof to caress over her pupil's mane, that same soft smile flickering to a hopeful one as she leaned back "I've been the Princess of Equestria for thousands of years...I can control myself, Twilight...but....even then, how do I deal with how I am feeling...who can a Princess turn to...." She didn't wait for an answer, looking into that unicorn's eyes like she was piercing right to Twilight's soul "I don't suppose it'd be...too much, if your teacher...your friend, asked for a hug?"


Twilight stared right back, almost hypnotized, those eyes were so beautiful, all of the princess was beautiful, but in a regal way, a powerful way that she always admired and was thankful for her presence as Ruler of the land. But now, she was just asking for...a hug? A princess, asking for a hug, a simple sign of affection, something she'd shared with all of her ponyville friends at least a dozen times over. It was so simple, so...why did she have this weird knot in her chest.


"It's alright..." The princess of daylight spoke with a hint of regret, turning her head "Forgive me for asking such a silly thing, you're such a bright pony, Twilight, I shouldn't keep you away from-" Her praise and speech cut abruptly, eyes wide, the Alicorn looked down at the unicorn mare, she'd rather impulsively trotted up and wrapped her hooves around the Princess's body.


Twilight Sparkle stared up at her Princess, seeing that smile grow on her face had made her own smile appear and grow, squeezing a bit tighter around her, having to lift herself up onto her back hooves to reach the right height. "Please, never say such things Princess. I'll always try to help you, even if it's with loneliness." Her voice calm, relaxed in the hooves of the princess as she felt them wrap around her and hug back. A very big dam of nervousness below her calm features, not even mentioning the flood of excitement at such a strange scene as actually hugging a Princess.


Celestia felt that nervous energy, felt the soft shivers over the Unicorn's back and sides as she leaned back "Here, dear." She said softly, pulling the startled mare up and into the bed to squeeze her close in her hooves more easily. "If it isn't too much trouble, Twilight, I would very much enjoy just a few moments with you...here...in my hooves." Her voice lowering with an undercurrent of joy, pure joy that rang in the Unicorn's ears.


The lavender pony practically felt giddiness wash away her nervous thoughts, the Princess sounded so relaxed and...Happy, not just content or poised like she did at the Grand Galloping Gala, a mask for the upper crust of Canterlot ponies, she was actually happy just from being hugged. Twilight did her best not to think about the fact she was in Princess Celestia's bed, in her arms, and how this must of been ten different kinds of new or surprising or any of that. She focused as best she could on staying in the Alicorn's arms.


Celestia chuckled at the feel of the mare nuzzling into her chest, Those vibrant white wings unfurling to curl around the unicorn, shrouding her in white and soft warmth. "You really can't understand, my little pony, it's been so long....so much time has gone by since I last found a pony I could trust...Since my sister...." She trailed off.


Twilight couldn't help but shudder, not from the feelings she had building in her, but from the voice of her teacher. She just knew Celestia...Princess Celestia, was about to cry if she kept speaking. Tilting her head to gaze up at the Sun Goddess, leaning in to offer a nuzzle of affection to her mentor as she saw the sparkling in her eyes "Please don't cry, Princess."


'Please don't cry...' the words rang in Celestia's mind a moment as she stared down, mildly surprised, perhaps even shocked that she was just nuzzled by her student. Then as she smiled, doing her utmost best to not break into tears, here, away from prying eyes of all those ponies who depended on her, including the one in her hooves. She nuzzled back.


The lavender unicorn blushed, her act of affection had been rather impulsive but perfunctory, she had never wanted anything but the best for her mentor, her teacher, the one who helped her learn about her destiny. Getting nuzzled by the Princess was more ...well, just hearing the thought in her head was absurd and romantic and all kinds of crazy at once.


Celestia nearly laughed with a strangled kind of joy as she watched the look of her student. Ranging in expression from shocked, disbelief, contemplation, then some form of acceptance as she smiled and the two began to exchange the soft shows of affection back and forth, heart melting like the summer sunlight was hitting it, a relieved sigh coming from the Alicorn as she held her most precious student...and friend.


Hooves still around the soft white torso of the big Alicorn, gently brushing across feathers as they rubbed at the wingbases of those big vibrant and wonderful wings still surrounding her. Twilight couldn't stop the tear from rolling down her cheek, feeling quite happy, ecstatic, jubilant, her mind worked on the thesaurus of her knowledge for the right word.


Noticing the tear, Celestia laid a soft kiss over the wet cheek and caused Twilight's mind to basically freeze as she stared up at her Princess. "Twilight, dear...Do you suppose it'd be alright if I...asked you to do this for me, often?" She gave another hopeful smile, slightly coercing the unicorn as she tugged her, laying down on the soft bed, hooves still around her smaller lavender body. "I won't pressure you, my little pony, I do not want to come between you and your friends..."


The unicorn again picked up on that sad smile...well, after her mind had started working again, the princess had just KISSED HER, she could practically feel her psyche bouncing off the walls with questions and worries. However, that one mentally stable part of her mind, kept calm for at least the moment. "Princess....You're my friend." She stated matter-of-factly, echoing the Alicorn's own words from earlier.


The look of genuine surprise made the unicorn giggle, Celestia noted, smiling quite wide as she embraced the unicorn tighter, closing her eyes and striving to prevent a most un-regal wingflutter of joy from coming on. "Thank you, Twilight...For everything."


The lavender mare returned the affection, hugging back, nuzzling at her friend before tilting her head in a quizzical look "But..Celestia, I should be the one thanking you." She said it so naturally, blinking as she realized she had called her Princess by name, she couldn't even think of a correction before the Alicorn answered.


And her answer was also quite unexpected, soft and tender lips pressing to the unicorn's as the white princess held her close, eyes closed and an expression that again told Twilight she was on the verge of tears. The kiss wasn't strange or uncomfortable, it was simply their lips touching, still it made the unicorn's mind fray with worry and nervousness and about two thousand other thoughts.


Her own eyes fluttering as they stared into the closed pair, that near blissful yet pained expression on her friend and teacher's face was almost too much to bear. The kiss kept drawing her in, eyes wanting to close, to just let it happen. She held on as Celestia leaned over her, the soft bed at the unicorn's back as those white hooves kept her cuddled close, the Alicorn now ontop of the mare.


A soft pop of air as their lips separated, the princess of sunlight staring down at her friend, a rather loving smile on her face. "You never cease to amaze me, Twilight Sparkle, so many things you’ve accomplished, and so young? I cannot help but ... well, perhaps this is wrong...too sudden, but I want to stay close to you...Twilight..." She leaned in, resting with the unicorn on the bed, a soft pulse of magic dragged the covers over the two.


"Pri..Celestia, it is sudden...I-I don't even know where to start...but if this makes you happy....if I can make you happy...then." She stared at that gentle and loving face the Princess had , her eyes searching for something, doubt or plication or something.


"I have lived for thousands of years, Twilight...I know what my heart wants, but that isn't what is important..."


Such a powerful statement, at least, to the unicorn, it almost made her choke up as she squeezed the large alicorn in a hug again. "Celestia...w-would you be my special somepony?"