• Published 12th Mar 2012
  • 22,799 Views, 1,195 Comments

I Forgot I Was There - GaPJaxie



Twilight accidentally brings her reflection to life, forcing her to confront her neurosis.

  • ...
65
 1,195
 22,799

Chapter 12

Not much happened after that.

Which is to say, of course, that quite a lot happened after that. There was hugging and sweet words, awkward silences and sullen glares, shouting and fights that nearly came to blows. There were professions of love and friendship, bitterness and futility, and reconciliations both genuine and forced. But somehow, none of it ever seemed to come to much. The drama was simply a part of life, which otherwise went on.

Thus, time traveled without landmarks. There was no day when the ponies left Canterlot. Instead, Applejack and Rarity started making trips back to tend to their businesses. Then Fluttershy for her animals. Then, the trips became longer, as the demands of their lives pressed and Twilight and Sparkle’s need for their help seemed less urgent. Eventually, Applejack was spending more time in Ponyville than in Canterlot. Then Rarity was. Pinkie Pie was next. Then Fluttershy.

Rainbow Dash stayed the longest, on account of her community service, and the two troubled mares welcomed her company. She never pulled away from them, vowing to stay in Canterlot as long as they did, but they did not let her keep that oath. As the angry letters from the rest of the weather team piled up alongside reports of freak storms in Ponyville, Twilight and Sparkle each insisted that Rainbow Dash return home. Rainbow was stubborn, and refused to be persuaded. She had less luck resisting being teleported. Even that wasn’t a clean break though, as Rainbow simply flew back, and it took several days and as many trips before she reluctantly gave in.

Then, there were only two ponies who had yet to return to Ponyville, and their return was equally unceremonious. There was no great lesson learned, just many letters written, many little talks had, and eventually Celestia decided they’d been living together long enough without incident that they could safely return home. So they did.

Ponyville had missed them, and had many adventures in store. The return of Trixie and the Alicorn Amulet gave the mirrored mares a chance to work together against a common foe, and many ponies were pleased that the battle only destroyed Ponyville a little bit. Discord’s surprising assistance to Sparkle prompted Celestia to try to reform him, and though Sparkle did find his presence oddly comforting, in the end it was Fluttershy who tamed the beast. There was even an incident where Pinkie Pie discovered a “mirror pool” and briefly sent Twilight and Sparkle alike into fits of panic. Luckily, the real Pinkie was able to explain that the duplicates were not true copies, and so it would not be in the least morally ambiguous to simply vaporize them.

Still, adventures were hardly uncommon in Ponyville, and so many of the ponies involved would have insisted that nothing really happened. Things changed, yes, but not all at once. Not quickly. Not significantly. Until suddenly, they did.

“You are cordially invited,” Spike read aloud, giving what some would have considered an unearned degree of class to the pink and glitter-encrusted card in front of him. “To Twilight’s first-or-maybe-eighteenth-depending-on-how-you-look-at-it-life-is-complicated birthday party, celebrating one full year of the best new pony in Ponyville. There will be punch and games and music and dancing and pin the tail on the pony, and even an extra special visit from Princess Luna and Princess Celestia, but don’t tell anypony because it’s supposed to be a secret since they don’t want it to be a big deal or anything.”

Spike briefly checked out the window where he could see that, yes, Pinkie was out making deliveries to every single pony in Ponyville. Sparkle used that time to look at Twilight, who merely looked away. She seemed embarrassed about something, a heat in her cheeks and a stiffness in her pose as Spike resumed his reading.

“The mare of honor has asked that nopony bring gifts, because the best gift of all is an evening with all her friends in Ponyville. And uh... then it just has the date and place. Which is here. Tonight,” Spike finished, looking between the two ponies in front of him. After a moment, his gaze settled on Twilight, “Is that why you had me make sure everything was tidy last night?”

“It is,” Twilight said, her tail flicking back and forth. She looked stiff, even uncomfortable, but when she lifted her head to look at Spike, she found a smile that seemed to travel all the way up her face. “Pinkie Pie is handling all the arrangements and all the cleaning after. I also finished up the correspondence last night and burned through all of this week’s to-do list. I thought you should take the next few days off.”

“Wow. The next few days?” Spike blinked. “I thought the party ended at eleven.”

Sparkle laughed—an airy little giggle—but Twilight didn’t. She just kept smiling that odd smile. “It does. I wanted the three of us to have some time together that evening after. But I also wanted you to have some time for yourself. Consider it an early birthday gift.” She reached out to playfully push back Spike’s spike, like she were ruffling his imaginary mane. “You know. One that won't trigger a certain dragon’s hoarding reflex.”

“Heh. Yeah,” Spike smiled, turning to look at Sparkle. “Can I?”

“Sure,” Sparkle agreed. “In fact, why don’t you run along now? I think Apple Bloom and her friends just got out of school. You could go play.”

Spike looked dubious, but Twilight and Sparkle both gave him a firm look, and he turned towards the library door. “Fine!” he said, throwing up his arms. “I’ll give them another chance.”

“Remember to be back by five,” Twilight said, adding, “Oh, and Spike?” As she spoke, a purple glow surrounded him, and he floated back into her grasp. “You know I love you, right?” she asked as she gently hugged him with her forelegs. “We both do.”

“Uh, yeah,” Spike said, enduring the hug with an exasperated look. “I haven’t forgotten in the ten minutes since you last told me.” Instead of acknowledging Spike’s objection, Twilight kissed the top of his head, and gave him one last squeeze before she let him go. “Eesh. I love you too, Twilight,” Spike said as he stepped away, rubbing the top of his head. “What’s with you today?”

“It’s my birthday,” Twilight said. “I’m allowed to be sentimental. Now run along and have fun.”

Spike checked with Sparkle before he ran out—just in case he had to give another hug to even the scales—but she just nodded and then nudged him towards the door with her muzzle. “You heard the mare. Go make friends.”

“Okay. I’ll be back in time for the party,” Spike said, running down the little steps into the main room of the library, and then out the door into Ponyville. Both mares watched him go, and then listened until they heard the sound of the door shutting behind him.

“You could have told me,” Sparkle said, turning an accusative gaze to Twilight and flicking her tail sharply. “I assume that’s what that mysterious trip back to Canterlot last month was about?”

“Mmm,” Twilight said, looking out the window after Spike instead of watching Sparkle. “I’m sorry I didn’t let you know. I...” She bit her lip, and her ears folded back. “It’s a big day for me. That’s all. I wanted it to be special for everypony. A nice surprise and some good memories.” She paused again. “I didn’t want it to be a big production.”

“I understand,” Sparkle said, frowning slightly. “But invitations the day of the party is kind of last-moment. What if not everypony can make it?”

“I discreetly checked with them in advance,” Twilight said. “All the girls will be able to make it. Most of Ponyville too, probably. I couldn't check with everypony obviously, but... well. I’m sorry.”

When Twilight trailed off for the second time and turned her gaze to the floor, Sparkle rose from where she sat, stepping up alongside her counterpart. “It’s fine,” she assured Twilight. “Really, you don’t need to apologize. Are you okay though? Do you want to... talk about anything?”

“No thanks. I was just going to go see the girls,” Twilight said. Finally, she turned away from the window to look at Sparkle.

They didn’t really look like each other anymore. Sparkle’s mane was shorter and swept back, and she kept her tail in a brush, held together by a hair-tie at the base. Twilight had let her mane and tail grow long, and brushed them straight with a little twist at the ends. Sparkle polished her hooves. Twilight didn’t. A steady diet of alfalfa smoothies had given Twilight’s coat a slight sheen, while Sparkle—never having been introduced to the beverage by Time Turner—had a more plain coloration. None of the changes were extreme, but the two didn’t get mistaken for each other. Ponies passing through town didn’t ask questions. They were just two sisters.

“Okay,” Sparkle said, pausing under the odd scrutiny. She wondered what Twilight was thinking, but her mirror-image’s expression revealed nothing. “Are you sure you don’t want to talk about anything though? I did notice what day it was, but I didn’t say anything because I wasn’t sure how you’d feel about it.” Sparkle paused. “You can still celebrate our old birthday as well if you want.”

That made Twilight smile. “No, thank you. I’ll want to talk more this evening, once Spike is here, but for now I should get going.” She glanced at the door, but didn’t yet move, returning her gaze to Sparkle. “But before I go, there was one thing actually.”

“Yeah?” Sparkle asked.

“Could I have a hug?” Twilight replied.

For a moment, neither of them said anything. A silence hung in the library, lasting just a moment too long to go unnoticed. “Uh... sure,” Sparkle blurted out. “Sure. Of course.” She immediately leaned over and put her hooves around Twilight. It was a stiff embrace, too tight about the back and too loose about the shoulders. Sparkle tried to correct with a quick squeeze, but all she did was make Twilight quietly laugh. Twilight’s legs settled around Sparkle’s shoulders a moment later, her posture not much looser.

After a bit, they stepped apart.

“You know you don’t have to say it’s okay when it’s not,” Sparkle said quickly, trying to push the conversation along. “With everything we’ve been through you’re allowed to be upset today of—”

“I know,” Twilight said. “But it really is okay, Sparkle. It is.” She looked to the door. “You have a good day too, okay? I’ll see you at the party.”

“Okay,” Sparkle said, watching as Twilight headed out on her own. After a moment, she trotted downstairs to get back to her book.


“Hey, Applejack,” Twilight called out, as she trotted up the road to Sweet Apple Acres. Applejack was hard at work on the cider press, filling a few barrels with what would eventually be finely-aged apple cider. From the yard in front of the barn, Applejack saw her friend approaching, and gave her a friendly wave.

“Hey, Twilight,” she greeted, once Twilight was closer. Her eyes remained on her work, though she kept a cheerful tone, and found a moment to smile at Twilight once she was near at hoof. “Happy birthday. Pinkie Pie came by a little while ago with the invitations.”

“Yeah, I saw her on the way here,” Twilight said. “You can make it, right?”

“Wouldn' miss it for the world, sugarcube,” Applejack said, her cheer joined by a certain fondness. “Hard to believe it’s been a year already.”

“Yeah,” Twilight said. She paused and swallowed. “Time flies.”

Applejack noticed the uncharacteristic hesitance in her friend, pausing in her work to face Twilight. “Somethin’ you wanted to talk about, Twilight?” she asked. Twilight nodded, but didn’t answer right away, and the pause made Applejack all the more curious. “You okay?”

“Fine,” Twilight said. “But... there’s something I wanted to talk to you about first. Before the party.” Twilight took a breath. Swallowed again. “I want you to apologize to Sparkle for giving me her name.” Quickly, Twilight pressed on. “I know your heart was in the right place. Everypony was panicking, she and I were at each other’s throats, nopony knew what might happen next. You thought you had to take charge and put things in order—straighten us out.” Twilight let a breath out, stiffly drawing it back in as she took a moment to collect herself.

“And—and I appreciate that.” She forced her ears to perk up, if only for a moment. “I appreciate that your first thought then was that I was a person and you didn’t want me to get hurt. But... you had no right, Applejack.” Twilight’s ears dropped, but she made herself press on. “You took something from her, and hurt her very badly. Something that wasn’t yours to take.”

Applejack’s expression had gotten steadily tighter as the conversation went on, her own ears folding back. She watched as Twilight continued, shying away from her friend’s monologue. “And...” Twilight trailed off for a moment. “She doesn’t resent you, AJ. She knows why you did it too. But I think hearing it would mean a lot to her.”

“Ah uh...” Applejack reached up and removed her hat, holding it against her chest. Her gaze went down to the ground, her tail low and tucked between her legs. “Ah don’t rightly know what to say, Twilight. Ah never...”

“You don’t have to say anything now, Applejack,” Twilight said, stepping forward until the two were face to face. “You’re a good friend. You’ve always been a good friend. Ever since I arrived in Ponyville. And... for the last year, I couldn't have asked for anypony better.” Applejack tilted her head up a bit, and when she did, she saw a soft smile on Twilight’s face. “You shouldn’t feel bad. But it would mean a lot to her if you could say it.”

“Of course,” Applejack said. She restored her hat to her head, shaking herself out to clear her thoughts. “Ah am sorry though, sugarcube. Ah know it’s been a rough year for you two and... well. We ain’t always helped.”

“Applejack, I said you shouldn't feel bad and I meant it,” Twilight insisted, a bit more firmly. “I didn’t come here to make you feel guilty. It’s my birthday, remember? I want everypony to have fun. I want it to be something everypony remembers. I want it to be...” She swallowed. “I want it to be when everypony remembers all the fun we had this year.”

“Well, that sounds good to me, sugarcube,” Applejack said. “You want to come inside for a bit? I’ve got some extra cider. Could let you skip to the front of the line, this year.”

“I’d love to,” Twilight said, “But I’ve got a lot of things I need to do today. We’ll talk more at the party, okay?”

“Alright,” Applejack said. “I’ll see you there then, I—woah!” Applejack jumped as Twilight suddenly pulled forward, wrapping her friend up in hug. “I uh...” Applejack laughed, a bit nervously. Twilight laughed too, genuinely, and her body was relaxed as she gave her friend a tight hug. “You sure you don’t want to come inside?”

“I’m sure,” Twilight said, pulling away. “But thank you, AJ. I’ll see you soon, okay?”

“Alright,” Applejack said, as Twilight turned to head back into Ponyville. “See you soon.”


“Oh no!” Rainbow Dash shouted. In the distance, the two ponies could see the light from the corrupted Elements of Harmony—a sickly glow that suffused the horizon like a false dawn. “Now what do we do?” she cried, turning to face the pony beside her. There Twilight stood, and though she was sweaty, dirty, and scratched, she stood firm.

“We save the day, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight said, sweeping her eyes over her friend. The two had been through so much in these hectic days, and gotten to know each other better than they ever thought they would. When she looked at her friend, Twilight saw the strength that had saved her so many times—in her upraised wings, her toned flanks, and the determination in her eyes. But she also saw the vulnerability there, the need in the pony beneath. “We save the day like we always do.”

“But how?” Rainbow asked. “Prince Ironhoof and your evil twin have the power of the Elements of Harmony! Nothing can stand against that.”

“That’s not true,” Twilight said, stepping forward to take her friend by the shoulders. “There is one thing we’ve seen in our travels that’s as powerful as friendship. Another powerful force that binds ponies together.”

“You don’t mean...” Rainbow Dash’s breath stuck in her throat, her mind whirling at an impossible speed.

“That’s right,” Twilight proclaimed. “Love!” Her horn shone as she grabbed the other mare by the mane, pulling her down into a kiss. Twilight’s body was h—

“Hey Rarity,” Twilight said. Rarity shrieked, tossing her notebook into the air as she whirled in place. Twilight was standing right behind her, and as Rarity stared in shock at her friend, her notebook hit the cafe table. Quickly, Rarity slammed it shut, pinning it tight against her chest with a leg.

“Work on what? I don’t know what you’re talking about! Don’t judge me for writing what everypony’s thinking!” Rarity said, her breath coming quickly. Twilight stared at her for a long while, tilting her head to the side as Rarity recovered herself. After a moment, Rarity sat up again, her horn glowing as she quietly fixed her hair. “I mean—” she cleared her throat. “Hello, Twilight. You gave me quite the start. I didn’t hear you there.” Rarity quickly added, “Oh, and happy birthday, Twilight. Pinkie Pie came by just a little while ago.”

Twilight stared back at Rarity for a moment, and then she giggled, a broad smile spreading over her face. “Well, I’m sorry for startling you in the middle of whatever it was you were doing,” she said, trying and failing to keep the mirth out of her tone. “And thank you. I hope you can make it?”

“Of course, darling! Of course,” Rarity said, discreetly putting her book aside. “How have you been?”

“Busy,” Twilight answered after a moment. “Like there’s never enough time. But good, I think.”

“Well, it sounds like a party is just the thing you need to unwind then,” Rarity said cheerfully. “Would you like to join me for lunch? I only ordered a moment ago.”

“I’d love to, Rarity, but there’s a bunch of things I need to do today,” Twilight said. “I just wanted to talk to you before the party. There’s some things I wanted to say that I didn’t want to say there.” She took a breath. “I wanted to say thank you, Rarity.”

“Why, whatever for, Twilight?” Rarity asked, leaning in closer to her friend.

“Well, for... this.” Twilight reached out to tap Rarity’s journal. She blushed, not sure how to continue.

Rarity paused for a moment, her face freezing somewhere between a smile and a frown. Delicately she continued, “I didn’t realize you were a fan of ah... literature. I didn’t think you—”

“No no,” Twilight says, laughing again. “Not like that. I meant... thank you for not losing your sense of humor.” She had to take a moment to collect herself, then pressed on. “This past year has been difficult for us all, but you never let it get to you. You were decisive and strong, but you never let it turn grim. Even when things were really bad, you could crack a joke about it. And I think that did a lot to keep us all together.”

“It’s what any friend would do,” Rarity said, but Twilight cut her off.

“No, Rarity, it isn’t. You were generous with your time and with your feelings, when it looked like Sparkle and I would never pay you back for it. You gave without worrying if you’d ever get anything back. And...” Twilight swallowed. “And I wanted to thank you.”

After a moment of tension, Twilight pulled forward, wrapping her friend up in a hug. Rarity was taken aback for a moment, but only for a moment, and she soon returned Twilight’s affections. “Oh... Twilight,” she smiled, “You know you don’t have to do that. Seeing you recovered, happy and well again, that’s all the reward I need.”

“I know,” Twilight said. “But I wanted you to know how I felt. You’re a good friend, Rarity.”

“As are you, Twilight,” Rarity said. The arrival of the waiter with Rarity’s pie interrupted their moment, and the two pulled apart with bashful smiles. “Yes, thank you,” Rarity said, pulling the plate over with her magic and shooing the waiter away. “Are you sure you won’t join me?”

“I want to, Rarity. But I can’t,” Twilight said, rising to go. “I just didn’t want to say that tonight. I want the party to be... fun, you know? I want it to be happy. Really happy. There will be time for serious talk later.”

“I quite understand,” Rarity said, giving a little nod. “Are you off to see the girls then? Get all that serious talk out of the way?”

Twilight nodded. “I am. I wanted to talk to you all before. I should get going—I’ve got a long walk to Fluttershy’s cottage.” She glanced at Rarity’s book, and a strange expression suddenly overtook her face. She seemed conflicted, one ear pulled back as her mouth drew into a line. Rarity paused, wondering what was wrong, but the expression lasted only a moment. Then Twilight smiled again, and laughed. “But before I go, I was curious. It seems like you’ve paired up almost everypony in town.”

“Now Twilight, there’s nothing wrong with a little harmless—”

“So, what’s the scene with you and Applejack like?” Twilight finished, with a smirk. The grin on her face has grown quickly and was now ear to ear, bringing with it a lightness in Twilight’s stance.

“Twilight Twilight Twilight,” Rarity tittered. “That doesn’t even make sense. I am trying to write interesting romantic literature. Not just throw together any random absurdity that springs to mind. I’m sure if you think about it you’ll see that that scene just doesn’t work.”

“Really?” Twilight asked, “Because I could think of a few good setups. Say that you’re stuck in this closet—”

“Twilight.”

“—but you’re so embarrassed to ask for help that you keep insisting you’re—”

“Twilight, if you say one more word about the subject,” Rarity said, levitating her slice of pie off the plate. “I will, in only the most ladylike fashion, hit you in the face with this pie.”

For a moment, the two stared at each other, holding each other’s gaze like two high-noon fighters in the mild west. Twilight took a breath.

“Rarity and Applejack, sittin’ in a tree—”


“So how did you get pie in your coat again?” Fluttershy asked as she and Twilight walked inside. Already, one of Fluttershy’s squirrels was eagerly licking Twilight’s cheek, its little whiskers tickling her and making her giggle.

“With the power of friendship,” Twilight said, shooing the little squirrel away once they were inside Fluttershy’s cottage. There, Fluttershy found a washcloth, and quickly pumped the well above her little sink basin. “Thank you, Fluttershy.”

“Of course,” Fluttershy said, as Twilight took a moment to scrub her face clean. “Oh, I um. I meant to ask, Twilight. Are you sure you don’t want me to bring a gift? I actually just finished knitting you a sweater.”

“A sweater?” Twilight asked, lifting her face from the basin and drying her face off with the nearby cloth. “Like the one you got me right after I was made?”

“Yeah,” Fluttershy said, nodding quickly. “I thought, um, that one was really meant to be Twilight Sparkle’s sweater. Not that you aren’t her! Because you are. But I thought it would be nice if this time, I made you and Sparkle separate sweaters with a different pattern. You know, to show that I think you’re both special. But hers isn’t done yet, so I just thought I could um...” Fluttershy nodded again. “Yes.”

Twilight paused by the sink, turning to look at Fluttershy head on. After a moment, she resumed rubbed the cloth behind her ears, and then dropped it down onto the countertop. “You know,” Fluttershy said, “On second thought, that was silly of me. I’m sure that’s not a time either of you want to be reminded of. I can just put together something else and—”

“No, Fluttershy,” Twilight said firmly. She stepped up to her friend. “No, it wasn’t silly of you. It was sweet.”

“Oh, that’s nice of you to say—”

“I’m not just saying it!” Twilight blurted out the words with a sudden energy that surprised both of them. Fluttershy actually leapt back a half step, hiding her face behind her mane. The moment shocked them both into silence, and Fluttershy used that silence to take another half step back. She started to mumble something apologetic, but Twilight shook her head.

“No, Fluttershy. Please don’t apologize,” Twilight said. She began to step forward, but when Fluttershy pulled away, Twilight returned her hoof to the floor right where it had started. “I’m sorry I snapped. There’s just something I need to tell you. And... there is a gift you can bring. May I?”

“Um...” Fluttershy managed. Then she nodded.

“I...” Twilight took a breath, and then pressed on. “I know this last year has been hard for you, Fluttershy. Maybe harder for you than anypony. You were there for Sparkle and I when we needed you, like when you stood guard over her after I...” Twilight swallowed. “And you knitted me a sweater. You were a good friend to me. To us both. And you were strong when you needed to be strong.”

“But...” Twilight continued. “I know that was hard for you. You’re not a pony who deals well with conflict and... and we put you through a lot.” Fluttershy said nothing, and Twilight bit her lip. “Is that right?”

Eventually, Fluttershy nodded. “It wasn’t your fault...”

“No, Fluttershy!” Twilight said, the urgency in her tone that had spooked Fluttershy a moment ago returning. “I don’t want it to be about whose fault it was. I don’t want you to feel bad that you feel bad that I feel bad. I want... I want to say I’m sorry. For what I put you through.” She swallowed. “And then, if you really want to get me a birthday gift, I want you to have fun tonight. Really... have fun. I want to see my friends having a really good time together.” Twilight forced a smile onto her face, though it was strained at the edges. “Can you do that for me?”

Fluttershy said nothing for a moment, and then slowly, her muzzle poked out from under her mane. “Did you come all the way out here just to tell me that?”

“I also wanted to make sure you got your invitation from Pinkie Pie...” Twilight muttered, folding her ears back as she suddenly felt incredibly self-conscious. “And that you could make it.”

“Twilight, is everything okay?” Fluttershy asked, taking a step towards her friend.

“Everything is fine, Fluttershy,” Twilight said, “This is just important to me.” Her voice wavered for a moment. “I only get to do this once. I want it to be perfect. No saying we’re sorry, no worrying about what was whose fault something was.” For a moment, her voice actually cracked, but she forced her emotions to calm. “I want everypony to have happy memories. Can you help me do that, Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy bit her lip, unsure of what to say. Then she looked at her friend, and saw the pleading in Twilight’s eyes, and some instinct inside her rushed forward, stronger than her worry or anxiety. “Of course, Twilight,” she said, and then she stepped forward, and the two embraced. “Of course I’ll have fun at your birthday party.”

After a moment, as they stood holding each other, she continued, “But I’m still making you wear my sweater.”

Twilight smiled, and they both laughed.


“—and so then Spitfire said that I hang out with you a lot, and that if we weren’t close, she’d love to get to know me better. And I said that we were close as two ponies can be, but that wouldn't mind getting close to her too. And she looked surprised and said she assumed we were exclusive which was odd because, like, who has exclusive friends? I have a lot of friends and my fan club and stuff. So I told her that I know all sorts of ponies, because hey, I’m the hottest thing happening in this town. And then she looked really surprised and mumbled something and ran off, which is super weird because Spitfire is usually so confident, so I guess I spooked her.” Rainbow Dash looked up at the sky for a moment, pursing her lips in thought. “Do you think Spitfire might be a little socially anxious?”

“Yes, Rainbow. That is exactly what happened and you didn’t misinterpret the situation at all,” Twilight said.

“Wow. Just when you think you know a pony,” Rainbow Dash settled back down on the grass, spreading her wings under her. Twilight had found her at the watering hole outside of Ponyville, catching up on her napping. Though she had welcomed Twilight, she’d been slow to rouse, and so Twilight had waited as Rainbow gradually awoke. At first, she made only stray comments, but soon she started telling Twilight about her dreams. Then about her day. Then about anything else that entered her head. And still Twilight waited, and listened, and smiled.

“So, what’s going on with you today, Twilight?” Rainbow asked, cracking an eye open to look at the pony beside her.

“It’s my birthday,” Twilight said, giving a strange little smile that Rainbow Dash didn’t see.

“Yeah, I know that. The party’s gonna be awesome. But I mean besides that,” Rainbow insisted. “You usually interrupt me by now.”

Twilight thought about that for a second, and then nodded—another gesture that Rainbow Dash did not see. “You’ve always been a good friend, Rainbow, if a bit infuriating at times. But... do you think we’ve gotten closer in the last year?”

“Yeah, I guess,” Rainbow shrugged.

“Rainbow, I mean it,” Twilight said, but even the seriousness in her tone only elicited another shrug.

“Yeah, I mean it too,” Rainbow said. “I think we’re closer, yeah, but it’s not like I’m gonna put a number on that. We saved the world together, we’ve been through tough times, we hang out all the time. I’d push you out of the way of a moving train. Does it really matter if there’s a ‘more’ or ‘less’ on that? We’re friends.” She ruffled her wings. “Don’t overthink it.”

“But I have to think about it,” Twilight said quietly, lowering her head to the grass. She was quiet for a time, but then she heard a grunting next to her. Rainbow Dash was scooting over, one squirm and grunt at a time, working her shoulders and wings to edge her along the ground. Soon, she was next to Twilight, all without ever removing her sunglasses or the hooves she was resting behind her head.

“So yeah what’s up?”

Twilight laughed, lowering her head to the grass next to Rainbow Dash. “I feel like we’ve gotten closer this year. I help you train for the Wonderbolts. We hang out a lot more. And I don’t know if I’d have survived Canterlot without you.”

“Well, I am pretty awesome,” Rainbow Dash agreed.

“Yeah,” Twilight quietly laughed. “And I like that. I like how things have gone this last year. But I worry that... if things had been different. Maybe we wouldn't have ended up this close.”

“If things had been different,” Rainbow Dash repeated, with a skeptical twist.

“Yeah...” Twilight said. She didn’t continue.

Rainbow Dash sighed, and after a moment, she lifted a wing up to her face, using a feather to push her sunglasses up so she could look at Twilight unobstructed. “You know that if I like you more than Sparkle that doesn’t make you a bad pony, right?”

“I know, but she’s still...” Twilight struggled for the words. “She’s still missing out. Friendship is a wonderful thing, and I want to share it with ponies. I want her to... I want her to be your friend as much as I am.” Twilight leaned her head over to rest against Rainbow Dash’s shoulder. “You know she’s still the pony who fought Nightmare Moon with you, right? Who saw your sonic rainboom and earned her cutie mark?”

“Yeah, I know,” Rainbow insisted. “Sparkle and I are friends, Twilight. Don’t get your tail in a twist.”

“Yeah,” Twilight said. After a moment, she shook herself off, rising from where she lay. “You’re right, I’m sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up. It’s none of my—”

“Hey,” Rainbow Dash said, sitting up as Twilight rose. “Wait. Twilight. This really bothers you that much?” Twilight nodded, her expression tense. “Because it’s your birthday?”

“Because I want the world to be a better place because I existed,” Twilight said. “And I just keep thinking that if I wasn’t around, Sparkle would be Twilight Sparkle and you and she would be hanging out today and I can’t take that away from her. I...” Twilight’s voice cracked, but when she tried to press the emotion away, it wouldn't go. Soon, she started to choke up, squeezing her eyes shut as she forced herself to go on. “I can’t do that, Rainbow. I...”

“Woah, woah!” Rainbow rose to her hooves, taking a half-step to stand alongside Twilight and pull her close. “It’s okay, you’re not taking anything from anypony. You’re not. Twilight. Hey...” Rainbow gradually coaxed Twilight’s chin up, catching her eyes. “Hey,” she said, touching Twilight’s shoulder with a wing.

Gradually, Twilight’s breaths slowed, and the tightness in her throat started to fade.

“Twilight,” Rainbow started. “I know you’re the smart one, but there are times you can be really stupid and this is one of them, okay? You and I bonded this last year because we went through stuff together. Stuff that might never have happened if you weren't around. It’s not like there’s only so much friendship in the world and you’re taking it away from Sparkle by having it yourself.”

“What if I am? What if I have?” Twilight asked, leaning into her friend for reassurance. “I want tonight to be happy, Rainbow Dash. I want it to be perfect. No anger, no resentment, no little jealous looks. Nopony worrying what they did wrong or what they have to say sorry for. I want it to be happy and I want it to be what everypony remembers.” She sniffled quietly. “Even if it’s not my fault, even if you’re right and I didn’t take anything from Sparkle, I want her to feel better off that I’m here. I want everypony to feel that way.”

Rainbow’s eyes turned down and she bit her lip, but that uncertainty faded when Twilight pulled her head back to look Rainbow in the eye. “Can you help me make that happen, Rainbow? Please?”

“Yeah,” Rainbow said, and after a pause she added, “Yeah, of course, Twilight. Anything for a friend, right? It’s gonna be the best birthday ever.”

“Thank you, Rainbow,” Twilight said quietly. A moment later, she pulled Rainbow Dash back into a hug. “You’ve been such a good friend to me this past year. You were always a good friend.”

Rainbow Dash didn’t know what to say, and so she returned the hug in silence. Something about that made Twilight laugh, and she only squeezed her friend tighter. “I couldn't have asked for better, Rainbow.”

“Heh,” Rainbow smiled uncertainly as Twilight nuzzled into her shoulder. “You’re not so bad yourself,” she said. The two stood there like that for a long time, holding each other in a warm silence.

“Oh, wait, Spitfire thought I was gay.”

“Yeah, okay,” Twilight said, “moment’s over.”


“Hey, Twilight!” Pinkie called as the little bell over the door of Sugarcube Corner rang. The interior of the pastry shop was full of party supplies and confectionaries, stacked high on the tables in preparation for being carried to the library. “I’ve got a riddle for you! What looks like cake, sounds like cake, and smells like cake?”

“How does something sound like ca—”

“It’s cake!” Pinkie shouted, hopping across the room and presenting Twilight with a slice of oddly purple cake, its interior filled with glittering specks. After Twilight failed to immediately consume it, Pinkie Pie pushed it forward towards her face, making loud “Eh, eh?” sounds.

After a moment, Twilight leaned forward and took a bite. The cake was moist and soft, but when she chewed, the sparkly bits crunched between her teeth, and a sudden look of surprise overtook Twilight’s features. “Oh wow,” she mumbled around a mouthful of cake, quickly swallowing. “That’s really good. What are the crunchy—”

“Sprinkles!” Pinkie Pie said, letting out a little squeal of glee. “I made them myself so they sparkle and look kind of like your cutie mark! Do you like them?”

“They’re perfect, Pinkie,” Twilight smiled, taking a moment to look around the room. “Everything is ready for the party then?”

“Yup! One order of all-smiles-no-frowns-happy-birthday-party-supplies all ready to go! I even made a checklist so you can double check if you want!” Pinkie Pie said, darting across the room and rushing back with a clipboard in her teeth. “Feef?”

“Thank you, Pinkie,” Twilight says, gently floating the clipboard out of Pinkie’s mouth. “I’m sure it’s just the way it should be. Is it all ready? I came over to help you move everything to the library.”

“Juuuust about! Just let me grab one more box of streamers and then we’re good to go!” Pinkie said, with a particularly sharp burst of enthusiasm, bounding across the room. Twilight followed her with a warm expression, pausing briefly to examine the checklist.

“This is very thorough,” Twilight said, surprised. “You put a lot of effort into this, Pinkie.”

“Um, duh! It’s only a friend’s birthday party!” she said, as she gathered up her supplies and slid into her saddlebags.

Twilight laughed quietly. “Thank you, Pinkie. It means a lot to me.” Twilight started to levitate the piles of party supplies, moving to help her friend carry them. Another thought struck her before they could finish though, and she paused her work. “Pinkie Pie, what do you think of all this?”

“Mmm?” Pinkie asked, midway through stuffing three extremely large crates of party favors into her extremely small saddlebag. Volume constraints made this impossible, but Pinkie didn’t know that, and also earth pony magic probably. “Think about what?”

“All this. This past year. You’ve been a good friend to Sparkle and I, and you’ve always had a joke and a smile when one of us is feeling down, but... I don’t think I’ve heard you express an opinion about us,” Twilight said, her smile fading a bit as she wracked her brain. “Ever, actually. You haven’t even commented on the situation. It’s not a criticism,” she added quickly, “but... I’m curious now.”

“Oh, silly Twilight, you don’t wanna hear that,” Pinkie said, quickly moving to the next pile. “Now, I’ve got a cart out back for the rest, we can—”

“No, Pinkie,” Twilight said. “I really do want to hear it.” Pinkie didn’t answer right away, or turn around, and after a moment Twilight added, “Please?”

“I just don't know what there is to say, Twilight,” Pinkie Pie said.

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked, “Your friend copied herself and now the copies are fighting. That doesn’t... I don’t know.” She bit her lip. “You certainly had an opinion on the mirror-pool clones.”

“That’s because they weren’t the real Pinkie Pie,” she said, still not turning back to look at Twilight. “They were something different, and destructive, that hurt my friends. Something worth fighting with.” She poked a box in front of her. “I don’t really know what to say about a friend who fights with their own reflection.”

“...is that all I am to you?” Twilight asked, her tail drooping as her ears folded back. “The reflection?”

All you are to me? No,” Pinkie Pie says, turning her head to glance at Twilight, though she didn’t turn around. “You’re a friend. And a pony I care about. And Spike’s sort-of-mom-sort-of-sister. And a pretty good librarian. You could never be just a reflection to me, anymore than Applejack is just an earth pony or Rarity is just a dressmaker. But that’s what they are. And a reflection is what you are.”

Pinkie Pie looked back at the table of party supplies, shoving more balloons into her saddlebags. “I don’t understand why everypony has so much trouble with that.”

“Because a reflection isn’t a pony, Pinkie,” Twilight said, “It’s just an image in glass.”

“You only see it as an image in glass,” Pinkie replied. “But that’s like saying that when a pony writes you a letter, they’re just ink on a page because that’s all you see. The pony doesn’t go away if you lose the letter or smear the ink.”

Pinkie paused for a few long moments, and then finally stepped away from the table to approach Twilight, looking her in the eye. “And I don’t think the reflection goes away when you step away from the glass. You just can’t see it anymore. But it’s there.”

“Pinkie, I...” Twilight said, her voice suddenly strained. “How... are you just saying that?” She had to pause to take a stiff breath. “Or did you figure—”

“I figured that you wanted the best birthday party there ever was where everypony would hug and have fun and everyone you knew would be there including your friends and family and the Princesses and everypony!” Pinkie said with a forceful energy. “And I figured I could totally make that happen! And it will happen, Twilight. It’ll be perfect. In fact, it’ll be so perfect, I think I need to stretch out my hugging muscles right now so I don’t get a cramp.”

Pinkie suddenly leapt forward, and Twilight found herself wrapped up tight, squeezed until the wind was knocked out of her. “You’re going to have a wonderful birthday party, Twilight,” Pinkie Pie said, whispering the words to her friend. “It doesn’t have to be more complicated than that.”

“Thank you, Pinkie,” Twilight said, her voice choked. She struggled to form words, stammering out the line, “You... you know you’ve been the best friend a pony could—”

“Of course I know, silly,” Pinkie Pie said, with an airy laugh that mirrored none of Twilight’s tension. “Right back at’cha.”

Twilight didn’t say anything to that, but Pinkie Pie didn’t mind.


The party wasn’t perfect, but it was extremely close.

Half of Ponyville made an appearance, and the party soon spilled out of the overcrowded library and into the warm evening air. Pinkie Pie had outdone herself, and no matter how many ponies arrived, there seemed to be games, food, and drink for all. It was a new moon, but the stars were absolutely brilliant and so nopony minded the darkness much. It was—in every sense of the word—a twilight celebration, with ponies laughing and skipping back and forth in the shadows, little more than outlines in the gloom.

Twilight made a point of dragging Sparkle into the center of the festivities whenever she could, but both of them ended up spending most of the evening with their friends. After Pinkie Pie, Rarity was the first to arrive, then Rainbow Dash, then Applejack, then Fluttershy. The six friends had barely an hour to themselves before Shining Armor arrived with Twilight’s parents, promising that Cadence would be along soon. She was, along with Princess Luna and Princess Celestia, and for an evening, Ponyville was host of all of Equestria’s royalty. It did interrupt things for a time, as ponies scraped and bowed, but fortunately, Princess Luna had a solution to prevent their presence from disrupting the festivities.

And that solution was finely aged Apple Family hard cider.

Depending on one’s perspective, that is either where things started to go downhill, or where Twilight’s wish came true. Certainly after that, nopony was worrying about the future or about who wronged who. Instead, the party took on a life of its own, as ponies blundered about in the dark, laughing and doing things they somehow never found it in them to do in the light.

Fluttershy downed an entire mug of cider in one go, squared her shoulders, summoned her courage, and kissed Big Mac on the cheek. She then promptly let out a squeak of terror and flew up into the rafters, and it took Applejack and Sparkle half an hour to talk her down.

Though Rarity hardly touched the cider, the admirers and flattery which found their way around her had a similar intoxicating effect, and it wasn’t even nine before she’d given Ponyville’s little publisher a copy of her work in progress. He assured her that it would sell—after all, stories about the Elements of Harmony always did well.

Pinkie Pie inhaled an entire jar of candy. This wasn’t related to the cider, but Princess Luna found it so impressive she proclaimed it a miracle, and beatified Pinkie Pie on the spot as the patron saint of nasal sweets. This probably was cider related, though there was no way to be sure.

Applejack spent the entire evening working up the courage to apologize to Sparkle for taking her name. She finally did so late into the night, in a soft, heartfelt apology that ended with a warm embrace. Unfortunately, Rainbow Dash took that as her cue to begin her own moment, and in a perfect storm of inebriation, bad phrasing, and ill-advised attempts to sound clever, she managed to unwittingly proclaim her undying romantic love of Applejack. Sparkle was more than a little annoyed, but revenge came a moment later when an eager-faced and round-hooved Princess Cadence burst in from the next room and offered to perform the wedding ceremony on the spot.

Twilight and Sparkle each also found time for their family and the Princess's, but eventually, the party started to wind down. One at a time, ponies drifted away. First, Princess Celestia had to return to Canterlot. Then Twilight’s parents got tired and made their exit. Then Shining Armor had to drag away his wife after she recklessly discharged her love spells through the crowd, tragically shipping six ponies. Eventually, the crowd grew thin, and by eleven, only Twilight’s close friends were left. They stayed long enough to help clean up, had one last round of hugs, and went along their way.

Sparkle was just trudging upstairs after putting away the last of the balloons, when she realized there was talking coming from her room. A quick glance confirmed that Twilight’s room was dark, while her own was brightly lit, and evidently occupied. Pushing open the door, she found Twilight sitting on the bed with Spike beside her, the two of them laughing over a tale of the evening’s amusements.

“Oh, hey!” Twilight called, as soon as Sparkle opened the door. “There you are. Spike and I were just talking—how would you feel about a sleepover tonight? All three of us.”

“Oh...” Sparkle paused, tilting her head slightly. “Sure, I guess,” she finally said, “That would be nice.” She trudged up to the opposite side of the bed, and slid onto it alongside Sparkle. The three of them spoke for a little while longer, about the party and about their friends, but they were all quite tired. Spike was the first to nod off, and Twilight and Sparkle didn’t wait long after to rest their heads, a glow from their horns dimming the lights.

As they lay there in the darkness, Twilight pulled up alongside Sparkle, and put a leg over her shoulders. “I left you something,” she said, “on my desk.” Her voice was steady enough, but there was something strange in it that Sparkle couldn’t identify. An emotional tenor that rang unfamiliar. “It’s a letter. How I felt about today. The last year. I probably should have told you in person but... you know we compose our thoughts better on paper.”

Sparkle nodded, but she was not quite sure what to think of the situation, so she said nothing. Eventually, Twilight went on. “But, there was one thing I wanted to add. About this morning. I know it felt weird, hugging. I still don’t like you the way I like the others, and I know you don’t like me that way. And I know that bothers you. But...” Twilight swallowed. “That’s okay. Nopony is perfect. We both wish we could have handled everything better, but...”

Twilight leaned down to nuzzle Sparkle behind the ear. “If we’re going to be crazy and stupid about not recognizing ourselves in the other, at least I can recognize that you’re a good mare. You always tried to make it better, you always tried to do the right thing. And even if it didn’t work out... I’ll always remember that.” Twilight gave Sparkle a little squeeze.

“Twilight, I...” Sparkle stammered, uncertainly.

“No, it’s okay,” Twilight said. “You don’t have to say anything. I just wanted you to know that.”

And so, Sparkle didn’t say anything. She just scooted closer to Twilight, and leaned against her gently. The two lowered their heads to the mattress, and soon, fell asleep.


Sparkle awoke in the morning with a wide yawn. She’d forgotten to close the window last night, and the rays from the rising sun had just reached her eyes, slowly pulling her out of her rest. She considered shutting the blinds, but after a time, decided that she might as well get up now. Her head tucked down to be out of the light, and her eyes fluttered open.

The sheets were a twisted mess, with Spike sprawled out on a pillow at one end, and Sparkle somehow reversed from the direction she’d been lying last night. She saw that the sun had reached Twilight’s half of the bed first, and that Twilight was already gone. Delicately, Sparkle picked herself from the bed, careful not to rouse Spike as she moved. On the tips of her hooves, she snuck off to the bathroom, mentally settling what she’d have to do for the day.

Speaking with Twilight would be her first priority, it was clear. If there were no unresolved questions from the previous night, she was sure there would be after reading Twilight’s letter. She wasn’t sure how she felt about things, but it had been a good celebration last night. It had been warm and enjoyable, and despite Sparkle’s reservations, she’d had a lot of fun.

Levitating her toothbrush out of its holder, Twilight stepped up to the sink. And in the mirror, her reflection looked back at her.