• Published 15th Oct 2011
  • 2,538 Views, 114 Comments

Endless Sky - Algorhythm



The remainder of the Mane 6 try to move on from losing one of their own.

  • ...
8
 114
 2,538

Chapter 19

-19-

Gilda had the comfort of knowing her friends weren’t mad at her - if only after she was thrown in the dungeon. But a rather awkward silence had settled over the room for the past few hours. A word or two would be passed between two of the prisoners, but the attempt at conversation died almost as quickly as it started.

“I’m sorry,” Gilda said, trying to break the silence.

“Gilda, you have nothing to be sorry about,” Twilight added. “How would you know your father would turn us in?”

She sat on the stone floor and looked back at the iron door. “I didn’t. That’s why I sent you to my house. He was supposed to be on duty.”

“I suppose you weren’t expecting to be in here as well?”

“No. I was expecting to be dead.”

The ponies just stared at Gilda, open mouthed. Rainbow blinked a couple of times. “You knew you would be killed for this?”

“No, that's not what I-” Gilda stopped mid-sentence and groaned. “The Emperor and my father have been close since they were chicks. When he found you, his loyalty to the crown came before my safety. The Emperor passed judgement on me.”

“Judgement?”

“It's a complicated thing to explain.”

“Isn’t Judgement the name of the Emperor’s sword?” Twilight asked.

Gilda was taken aback. Ponies without experience in the Emperor’s circle usually didn’t know stuff like that. “How do you know that?”

“Canterlot Archives. I did a project on cultural differences for the princess when I was studying in Canterlot. I remember because it's the only relic to pre-date the Empire.”

“That’s all fine and good Twi’, but what’s that got ta’ do with anything?” Applejack asked.

Gilda sighed and rose from her spot. “When our ancestors first built civilization, the world was free with magic. But the fledgling unicorns were the only ponies able to shape it and wield it as their own. Legends say that the dragons took pity on those without magic. The pony tribes were given the Elements of Harmony - to create peace and friendship. The gryffons received the gift to shape the magic in the air. Whatever we built, magic flowed through it. In some of the oldest ruins and cities, that magic can still be felt through some sign - a shiver of the spine, a warmth in our claws.

“But over time, our ancestors turned on one another. Magic was ripped from the air and forced into our blades. We fought beak and claw to become the rulers of our race. Out of these wars came a simple farmer named Lorius Ironfeather. Everything had been taken from him in a single battle. Rather than take revenge, he poured his anguish into a single blade - a blade that would create unity rather than war. It is said that the magic made his piece of scrap metal into a true sword, which he called Vagnyyrd - ‘Justice’ in the old tongue. Under his blade the innocents were spared, as if the blade knew their life in the moment before the final blow..

“Eventually he managed to bring peace to tribes and established the empire to avoid any further infighting. Near the end of the Emperor’s life, he reforged the blade, spending a full month shaping and folding his creation into a tool of peace. When it was finished, the sword chose a new master - one it judged would continue keeping peace in our lands. Some say Lorius poured his soul into the sword. But that’s a bunch of folklore. At least I thought it was.

“The Emperor used Justice to kill me. Justice intentionally missed.”

“Hold on,” Applejack said, rubbing her head with her hooves. “You’re sayin’ some magical sword decided not to kill ya’? Wouldn’t that just be considered bad aim?”

Gilda eyed Applejack very seriously. “No. The Emperor has never missed. Ever.”

Twilight gently stroked Dusk’s mane, ensuring the filly stayed asleep. She cleared her throat. “So doesn’t that mean you’re innocent? I mean, that was its original purpose, the only other thing it could mean is you’re the new Empress.”

Gilda started shaking. She slowly lowered herself into one of the corners in the room, flicking her eyes from left to right.

“That’s a good thing, right?” Twilight asked.

“No. It’s bad luck.”

“Bad luck? Don’t be silly, there’s no such thing.”

“There’s an old prophecy written by Lorius before he died. He said the day an Empress wields the sword, is the day the Empire dies.”

“Again, superstition,” Twilight said, rolling her eyes. “Your Empire pre-dates the conflicts of the Three Tribes. You must have had at least one Empress.”

“There have been two hundred fifty-three Emperors since Lorius. Not one Empress. I don’t know about you, but with the rest of the world on the edge, I’d prefer not to test my superstitions.”

The door opened, with one lone gryffon at the door. His eyes were glazed over, and his claws held onto the door frame for support. Gilda’s face turned to one of horror as she noticed Justice, glowing blue in his grip. “What if you have no choice, Gilda Razortalon?”

--*--

Gilda had gotten funny looks many times during the course of her life, but none of them had ever come with an immediate threat of death. That's why she stared at the ground in front of her while she assisted the exhausted Emperor up the stairs. The other guards on patrol were watching her with weapons drawn, waiting for a gesture from the aging leader to use them.

Yeah, yeah, no funny business. Got it, she thought.

Behind her the four ponies followed uncomfortably close. When they weren’t watching Gilda practically drag the Emperor through the halls, they had a keen eye on Twilight's horn. It made her severely uncomfortable, although it gave her solace that they weren't glaring at Dawn. Needless to say, it was a long walk.

Finally, they reached their destination - the throne room. The guards opened the doors to let them inside, moving to follow them.

"No." The Emperor glared at the two guards, who backed off a little. "Beyond these doors, none but a general may enter. Is that clear?"

They bowed briefly before returning to their posts. The doors closed shortly after that.

Dawn was captivated by how different it was from home. The room was circular in shape with several large windows sporting thick glass panes. At the far end of the room the stone was raised higher, carved into the shape of steps, leading to the cushion, in which she assumed he sat in. It even had a circular stone enclosure, lined with gold. Behind that, two bookshelves were positioned on either side of a fireplace, inside of which a fire was already prepared. A round table was built into the center of the room with a brazier burning bright with hot coals featured in the center. The chairs were all unoccupied - they were alone.

She watched Gilda bring the Emperor to his cushion, where he settled into a comfortable sitting position. He placed his sword in his lap and motioned for them to sit.

"I apologize for forcing you all into that prison cell. It was necessary to ensure I could keep you safe," he began.

Twilight and Rainbow looked at one another confused. They turned to Applejack who just shrugged in response. Twilight looked back at the Emperor, "Keep us safe from what?"

"Prying eyes. As a group of ponies none of you stand out in these troubling times, except for you," he said, pointing a claw at Twilight. "You, stick out like a sore claw. We honor great warriors, regardless of if they are gryffons or not. Twilight Sparkle happens to be one of those we respect. Any scholar would pick you out for who you are, or as a very good impostor."

Twilight averted her gaze, trying to hide her embarrassment. She hadn’t had nearly enough time to come to terms with the amount of “honors” she had earned, nor did she have enough time to know the scope of it. Being honored by gryffons for being a warrior definitely wasn’t helping.

“Why Celestia has claimed your death for five years is rather peculiar. Moreso to those who were at the funeral.

“But that is a different time. One that has clearly been re-written by magic. Old magic. It lingers on you like a cloud of lavender and ash.”

Applejack’s eyes grew wide and she shifted away from Twilight.

“If you are concerned about this, Element of Honesty, know that it lingers but has no grip. Unicorns don’t worry about lingering spells, so they know nothing about them. Only old magic casts echoes.”

Applejack looked confused.

Gilda piped up, “It's kind of like garlic - it’s quick to eat, but the smell lingers on your breath. Gryffons can ‘smell’ magic or magic creatures. Gryffons, ponies, dragons - you name it. Its our other kind of magic.”

“Just like pegasi have flight and control over the weather, earth ponies can make the land lush and green, and unicorns can bend magic to their will after long hours of practice,” the Emperor spoke. “We all have some way of interacting with magic. So when I say Twilight Sparkle is very much herself - minus the time lapse of course - she is indeed herself.”

“I guess that makes sense,” Applejack said. Her sense of unease settled and she sat back on the chair.

“But there is something else that follows you - as old and wild as the Princesses. It will not enter the city, but I cannot rely on it to simply stay put. So I cannot keep you here for very long. But... I can send somebirdy with you.” He eyed Gilda, a small frown on his face.

“Wait,” Rainbow said. “Didn’t you say she was the next Empress or something?”

He smiled slightly. “That can wait. She is the only one who can safely lead you further north. However, tonight you will stay in the castle. Do not hesitate to ask if there is something you need. Captain Icewing will show you to your rooms."

He nodded to Gilda, who quietly ushered the ponies from the room and back out into the hallway. The Emperor waited for the door to shut, before moving into a position of meditation. Justice lifted itself into the air, passing its way to the bookshelf. Another sword was dragged off of the wall, following it until they settled in front of him.

"Unsheath."

Both swords lifted out of their protective cases. The leather began to unwind from each handle, floating into the air like thread. The metal of each sword began to glow red hot.

“Beacons of hope, of might, of harrow,

Forever to walk a path so narrow,

Shall have the aid of the Empress lest,

The world fall to darkness before their quest.

But when our Empress leaves for lands of ice,

Her journey will need sacrifice.

So whilst she delves the eternal maw,

her empire crumbles beneath her claw.”

The light and heat faded away until the two swords looked almost identical, save for the different runes inscribed on each. The Emperor began to wheeze, "Resheathe, born anew."

The swords returned to their cases, before settling on the ground. He looked them over once more. It would last long enough. A heavy sigh filled the air and a frown played on his face. "I'm so sorry, Gilda. This is how it must be. Be glad you will not be here to see us fall to ruin."