• Published 7th Dec 2013
  • 669 Views, 6 Comments

Invidia - Impurity



Rarity has been stood up by Fluttershy for the third weekly spa visit in a row and has had enough. Photo Finish had stolen her best friend for far too long and she will get her back. Even if it means being generous in the wrong fashion.

  • ...
0
 6
 669

Catalyst

"When one protects, may it be by instinct or with much thought, it is when they think they deserve the pain more than the one they protect."



"I HATE YOU! How could you just end what I finally liked doing! I thought you were my friend!" Fluttershy screamed at her.

"I-I didn't mean to but-

"Don't even talk to me! We're through!"

"Darling please be reasonable, I only did it for your best interests."

"NO! You only did it for you're best interests!" Fluttershy galloped away crying.

"How could you do that Rarity." Twilight said running over to Fluttershy.

"That was uncool." Rainbow said coldly joining Twilight.

"I thought ya were better 'n that Rarity."

"Yeah! That was super duper mean of you."

"Wait I didn't want it to go like this!" She cried out.

But they had already left.

"PLEASE! IM SORRY!" She fell to her hooves crying.

———————————————————

"FLUTTERSHY!" Rarity yelled, reaching up, tears steaming down her cheeks as she fell onto the floor.

She found herself back in her room filled with darkness, with the exception of Luna's moonlight, tearing through her window but failing to get past her violet silk curtains. She noticed a sweat had formed on her forehead, much to her disgust, and slowly wiped it away along with her tears with her right forehoof.

"Oh what am kidding. I was just being selfish. The Element of generosity, yeah right." She sighed. "I should go over, wait for the potion to subside and ask her to forgive me. Hopefully she won't be too mad at me."

Rarity got up from the floor, receiving a death glare from Opal for disturbing her sleep, and gave her mane a good brushing by her vanity mirror, trying to get her mane to its original design before walking out of her home. For added measure she used some of her perfume to mask her smell of sweat.

Luckily when she got outside the street was empty as only a few ponies were awake at this time, so she wouldn't be bothered as long as she stayed on the right streets.

Rarity, on the way thought of ways to explain but everything she thought of so far seemed to dig her into a much deeper hole. I'll just say everything without trying to deviate too far from the truth. If I just speak without trying to make any excuses hopefully she will be forgiving.

As she neared her cottage, only a mere five minutes away, she found Angel, Fluttershy's pet bunny, banging on doors. It was odd to see him away from her for more than a short while. Is something wrong with Fluttershy?

The bunny caught sight of her and ran over. He furiously gripped her leg and proceeded to frantically point in the direction of Fluttershy's cottage.

"Is there something wrong?" But Angel was already hopping away, going as fast as his tiny legs could take. Rarity immediately galloped behind him. This isn't good.

They were less than a minute away when Rarity noticed two things. The first thing she noticed was that the sky had clearly become slightly darker and almost foggy. She also noticed a faint glow coming from the direction they were going towards. The glow got brighter and brighter every second, until she could distinct the colour orange. The cottage would be in sight any moment now, without any trees blocking her vision.

When she first caught sight of Fluttershy's humble abode she galloped as hard as she could screaming.

"FLUTTERSHY!" Rarity wanted to wake up from this nightmare.

Nearly the entire house had been engulfed in flames from top to bottom. The windows had seemed to be melting, smoke billowing out, the wood burning fiercely and the leaves even more so. The flames looked alive as if eating a wonderful meal after not eating for several weeks. It seemed as if nothing would be left in a few short minutes.

And one mare was unfortunately still inside with no knowledge of the figurative horseman waiting to claim her and take her away forever.

Rarity could not call for help, Fluttershy lived too secluded for anyone to notice and by the time she could go and get help the house would burn down with her in it. With no other options Rarity galloped even harder towards the door. As she got closer and closer she felt the searing heat increasing it's area and deadliness each moment. Not caring for etiquette Rarity broke the door down with brute force without hesitation, gaining a few scratches from the splintered wood on her hooves.

The inside of the home was worse than she predicted, nearly half of what she saw was taken over by the inferno. The flames seemed to be coming from the kitchen. The way to the stairs however was fairly clean compared to the rest of the house, but just as dangerous. No animals were in sight, they seemed to have all fled when they noticed the danger.

She used what magic she had, to make a weak barrier that Twilight taught her awhile back, after an event she would rather not talk about. After the spell was cast she ran upstairs quickly, skipping many steps and tripping once or twice. She turned the corner to see the only door to her room aflame, a dark grey gas pouring out.

Her spell was already weakening and she decided to dispel it. She would need her energy trying to get out. On a hopeless wish she tried to call out for her friend.

"FLUTTERSHY! DARLING WAKE UP!" She was given no response.

Rarity had no choice but to use the same force she did downstairs on the front door, this time the door would burn her but her low oxygen level that was decreasing every moment made the decision very simple. The door luckily caved in easily and she rushed in gaining a few burn marks, to see a yellow mare breathing heavily surrounded by flames. Rarity wanted to yell at her to wake up but knew she would only lessen their already minuscule chance at surviving this incident.

She immediately lit up her horn and used small barriers to cover the flames that surrounded Fluttershy's bed. She had never used more than two at a time and it was already taking heavy toll on her body. The alabaster mare wasted no time rushing to Fluttershy's bedside and pulling her off the bed and onto her back with her teeth.

The pain that hit her back once Fluttershy landed was excruciating. Her body told her to let go and save herself while she still could. But her heart, which dominated, told her to get over the pain and take Fluttershy quickly. She grit her teeth and started to walk away.

She let the barriers that covered the fires go and all the pressure they had pent up exploded into the air like pillars of fire. Rarity yelped in pain as the fire scorched her flank and burnt her tail clean off. But she didn't jump into the air too far, fearing that Fluttershy would be hurt. The way out had not been taken over by the flames so she trotted as fast as she could out of there, just as one of the supporting beams fell down on top of the bed, snapping it immediately.

When she got downstairs she noticed the path outside was still there, the flames however even closer than before. She galloped as hard as she could towards the door and saw an inferno in place of the opening where the door should have been, it was mocking her.

Rarity, however never hesitated. Rarity created a small barrier to cover the mare on her back as she dove into the pyre and straight through it. The pain was much worse than she could ever imagine, it was as if she had been dipped in a volcano without any enchantments or protective gear. She could not control her movements after her jump and she fell down, scraping across the dirt path, Fluttershy landing on top of her, making her injuries feel even worse.

She felt pain in many places on her body. Her coat had lost patches in multiple places with the skin underneath darkened from the intense heat, the hair she had not lost turned into many shades of grey and black. If she hadn't been in such pain she would scold herself for allowing herself to look so terrible.

At that moment all Rarity wanted to do was close her eyes and let death consume her, the level of pain she was feeling was the worst she felt in her entire left, it would have been so easy to give up.

She couldn't give up.

If she was alone she would have taken the chance to close her eyelids and rest, but the yellow mare that lay on top of her didn't deserve it.

She mustered what energy she had left and stood up, wobbling. Her legs wanted to burn off and just stay there, but she never listened. Rarity started to walk away slowly from the burning home, with the yellow mare on her back, moving slower than Granny Smith. Each step she took stole more energy than she could afford, and soon she was moving purely on willpower.

She had made it to the forest path that would take her towards town before her legs finally buckled. Rarity attempted to keep her balance but she just fell over onto her side, Fluttershy falling to the other, facing her. She stared into Fluttershy's closed eyes as the yellow mare's breathing had slowed to an even pace. Rarity got up close to Fluttershy and hugged her, tears forming.

"I-I'm sorry Fluttershy." She whispered whilst crying. Her eyesight was starting to fail her. Then touch and smell failed. She heard broken voices ahead on the path but ignored it, closing her eyelids.

Darkness.

Author's Note:

Any mistakes feel free to point them out.
Until next time.