• Published 7th Dec 2013
  • 668 Views, 6 Comments

Invidia - Impurity



Rarity has been stood up by Fluttershy for the third weekly spa visit in a row and has had enough. Photo Finish had stolen her best friend for far too long and she will get her back. Even if it means being generous in the wrong fashion.

  • ...
0
 6
 668

The plan

"Envy exists in every life form that contains the ability of thought. No matter who or what you are, you will always be jealous of those who have more than you. The main difference is whether or not you let that corruption take over you and let it get the better of you."

"Hello Miss Rarity. The usual I presume?" Aloe asked with her generic smile.

"Yes please, and just for one again. I'm afraid Fluttershy can't make it once more."
Rarity frowned.

"What a shame. I missed having her come in, she was always a nice mare to talk to and was always friendly. Especially compared to most other customers." Aloe's twin sister Lotus chipped in.


Rarity had come to her weekly spa session alone for the third time in a row. Nowadays Fluttershy was either preparing for a show, or leaving for one. So she couldn't make any trips anymore. Rarity had tried time and time again to make changes to fit both of their schedules but they would never work out.

"It's not fair. I'm the one who brought her to stardom, but what do I get in return? Losing one of my most dearest friends. She should at least try to make some time for me." Rarity complained through her mud mask.

"Oh it can't be that bad and I'm sure Fluttershy is just overwhelmed by all of that modelling and can't help it."

"I hope you're right Aloe." She sulked.

"Have you tried asking her to take some time off?" She questioned.

"I've tried that but everytime I try she's always whisked off by Photo Finish." She gruffed. "That heinous b-

"Miss Rarity! I know you're angry but please, to yourself if you must." Aloe scolded.

"Oh, I'm sorry." She sighed. "It's just that it's been forever and she's the only one I feel comfortable talking to without the presence of feeling judged. I can't do anything anymore because of everything I have pent up inside that I want to let out."

"I'm here, I won't judge." Rarity sighed once more.

"I really wish you could but it just doesn't feel the same. Fluttershy even on the inside doesn't judge, she's too nice even for that."

"Well how about trying to... No nevermind." Aloe shook her head.

"How about what? I'm desperate. I'm willing to do anything to get my best friend back." She pleaded.

"Anything?" She replied sultry, with half lidded eyes flickering.

"Anyth- Almost anything." Rarity caught on smiling.

"Can't say I never tried. Well how about you try to..." Aloe leaned in closer and whispered the rest into her ear. Once the message got through, Rarity's ears perked up, but fell right back down.

"But I couldn't do that. That wouldn't be very friendly of me."

"To be honest with you Miss Rarity, I don't think that she really enjoys being a model." Rarity gasped.

"Impossible! She seemed to absolutely love it when I saw her on the catwalk."

"I know but it just seems odd. She's always been a quiet and reserved mare. I think the only reason why she's doing it, is because if she doesn't she'd be letting you down."

"Oh that's rubbish. She wouldn't do this much for me. Would she?"

"It's just a guess but I wouldn't put it past her." She paused. "Here think of it like this. If you go through with this, Fluttershy will be relieved of her duties, she can go back to her animals and do what she's best at, and more importantly she can spend the time she lost with you mares and hopefully things will go back to normal."

"Now that you put it that way... By Celestia Aloe, you're a genius!" Rarity's eyes sparkled.

"Oh you flatter me." She blushed.

"I swear if you weren't such an amazing masseuse, I would recommend you as the royal advisor!" Rarity went on.

"Oh please Miss Rarity you're making me blush." Her cheeks turned rose red.

They continued to talk for the remainder of Rarity's session, about things going on or coming up. Aloe was good and trusted company but Rarity still did not want to share anything too personal.

"Oh I must say Aloe you certainly are wonderful and lovely to talk with."

"No no, you were a great pony to talk to. Most of the time customers just complain about the most trivial things that I couldn't care less about, but don't tell anyone. You're much more interesting to talk to."

"Well I must get going. It sure was a pleasure." Rarity said dropping a couple of bits.

"The pleasure is all mine. Same time next week?" She asked whilst grabbing the bits and putting them into the cash register without bothering to count them. She knew Rarity always came with the right amount and if she came with more, Rarity counted it as a tip.

"Yes, and hopefully with Fluttershy if your plan goes along."

"What's this plan with Fluttershy?" Lotus asked, waltzing into the foyer.

"Nothing my dear sister." Aloe cooed.

"Oh well. So sister I found something neat in the back, can you help me with it?"

"Oh I'd be delighted to. Well good bye Miss Rarity. Have a nice day." Aloe waved following her sister into the parlour.


Rarity had a mission. If she wanted her best friend back she would have to do something mean, but she was convinced it was the only way.

She would have to drug her best friend.

Rarity trekked through the murky area of the Everfree forest to Zecora's and asked her for a sleeping potion. Zecora asked why she would ever need such a thing.

"As of late it's been hard to sleep, I was hoping you would have something to help me." She said obviously lying.

Zecora looked through her large stash of potions and grabbed one with a brown liquid inside. She brought it over and placed at by Rarity's hooves. "This will help you sleep, for it is what you seek?" She questioned, giving her a suspicious look.

"Oh thank you Zecora, you are a life saver. Is there anything I can do to help you in return?" Rarity asked, not noticing her look.

"It is fine, consider it a generosity mine." Zecora smiled.

"Well I must get going, I don't want to get lost in the woods, especially at this time. Have a good night." Rarity remarked galloping out the door. Zecora continued to create a new brew of sleeping potions, she had given her last one to Rarity. She looked across the room and noticed it still there.

"It seems she has taken the wrong potion." She shrugged her shoulders and continued to talk to herself. "Though it still should stop her motion."

Rarity galloped through the woods quickly trying to get out of this, how she put it, ghastly place. It was soon going to be dark and the Everfree forest is the worst place in Equestria to be at this time.

Except maybe a few certain places that Rarity could sadly name.

Rarity had returned to her boutique without any troubles and slept with perfect bliss. Leaving the potion off to the side on her nightstand.

———————————————————

Rarity had tried time after time to try and invite Fluttershy over, but that was the major flaw in her plan.

How am I going to get her to drink it at an appropriate time and place? I couldn't mix it with some other drink or it would seem too suspicious. The only drink that would work would be tea or coffee because of the colour of the potion and I can't just let her drink it before she goes on stage, it would make her look like a fool. Rarity was frustrated as the week nearly ended with no success.

On Friday she was welcomes by a visitor knocking on the door. "Coming!" She said in her sing song voice. She slowly walked to the door and opened it. "Welcome to the Carousel Boutique, where your're here to look magnificent. How may I-" She stopped, gazing at the terribly disguised mare. "Flutter-

"Shh please."

"What are you doing here?" She asked holding back a scowl.

"Do you have time this afternoon?" She asked gently.

"Time for?" Rarity knew the answer but wanted to hear it from her.

"I noticed that I've barely spent anytime with you girls and felt that I needed to be with you most of all, I owe it all to you."

"Oh it was nothing." She muttered.

"I was wondering if you would like to come over later and just sit down for some tea and talk. If you're busy, though, I understand."

"Of course I have time." She chipped. "What time should I come?"

"Oh If you wouldn't mind a little past sunset. I want to make sure the animals are all fed and tucked in so we can talk peacefully without any problems. But I have to leave again at 11:00 sharp." Fluttershy said sighing.

"I would be delighted!" Rarity instantly thought of her plan. "Do you mind if I bring the tea? I just got some exotic tea from Saddle Arabia that I've been dying to taste, but never found myself in the mood." Finally! The time has come!

"If you insist. I really don't have many choices in my home."

"Please. Don't fret about it, at least you care for certain necessities unlike some other ponies in particular."

"Well I had better get out of your mane. You're probably busy."

"I hope to see you tonight." Rarity smiled.

"You too." Fluttershy smiled walking away.

As soon as Rarity closed the door, she let out the most uncouth squeal she could muster. Yes! Yes! I've waited long enough and the time has come, on my front doorstep I might add. But you must remember Rarity, anything could happen. We just need to prepare for it.

But as the sun fell further and further down into the horizon, the alabaster mare's worries were getting pummelled into ashes. It was roughly half an hour before the appropriate time. Rarity packed her saddlebags with her tea which actually was from Saddle Arabia and the sleeping potion. If everything goes properly Fluttershy will be fired and everything can go back to how it should be. The mare closed her shop/home and slowly walked towards the cottage.

The sun was dipping in the horizon as if it had been cut by the land, the moon opposite about to replace it. She was nearing Fluttershy's home and would be there any minute. She went over many different scenarios to make sure if any problems arise she could deal with them.

After feeling content she noticed the cottage just a hundred or so meters away. Okay Rarity you can do this. You must save your friend from the evil clutches of the modern media. You must save her.

In around half a minute she had made it to Fluttershy's gate and opened it slowly, as to not disturb the, what she saw as sleeping, chickens. She stealthily trotted up to the door about to knock. When she heard a thud on the other side.

Rarity panicked and opened the door to see Fluttershy sprawled on the floor.

"Fluttershy! A- are you alright?" She sped towards her friend, shaking her awake. Fluttershy didn't respond. "Fluttershy!?"

"Oh hello Rarity. W-what happened?" She woke up confused, shaking her head, bags underneath her eyes.

"Fluttershy! Oh thank Celestia you're okay." She brought the yellow mare up and hugged her.

"W-what happened?" She asked again worriedly.

"I just came to the doorstep when I heard you hit what i thought was the floor. Are you okay? You look awfully tired."

"No I'm fine, just haven't gotten much sleep this week." She yawned.

"Oh then you mustn't go to the event." She said, slowly walking the weak mare to her couch. "You must rest, this isn't very good for your health."

"I'm fine, there's nothing you need to worry about." Fluttershy said in an annoyed tone of voice.

"I'm just concerned, as a friend." Rarity held back any snide comments to say about her tone of voice.

"I'm sorry Rarity. I hope you can understand how hard this job is." She pouted.

"Oh no worries. All you need is something to drink to keep your strength up. How about you just sit down and I'll make the tea." Rarity, as if reading Fluttershy continued. "And I won't take no as an answer."

"Thank you, and I really am sorry. I invited you over for tea and am having you make it." She sulked.

"Nothing to fret about." She clapped her hooves together. "Now come, we must continue in the kitchen."

"Okay." The mare replied, slowly getting off the couch and onto her hooves. Rarity had already made it to her kitchen and started rummaging through the cabinets.

"So how are things going for you." She called out levitating out a small kettle with her magic.

"It's going okay. It's a lot of hard work, and I still can't get over my fear of being on stage." Fluttershy said taking a seat.

"Seems like you don't want to do the work." Rarity replied. Maybe I won't even need the potion, I can try it convince her.

"N-no I love the work and I'm getting better at overcoming my fear." She said quickly.

"Is there something the matter sweetie?"

"N-nothing's wrong, I'm just tired." Fluttershy replied plopping her head on the table.

"Oh well if it's that important, a lady should never pry too hard." She smiled.


After a few minutes of talking, Rarity heard the whistling of the kettle. "Well I think the tea is ready, it won't be much but it will help."

"Thanks again."

"Like I said. It's no problem." Rarity walked over to the cupboard once more, grabbed two cups and two saucers and had laid them on the table. "Where do you keep your sugar?" She asked.

"In the bottom drawer." Fluttershy pointed out.

"Ah yes, here it is." She brought out a small container half full of the sweet substance and placed it onto the table. The kettle was still whistling, increasing it's noise by the second. Rarity put a stop to it's flame and filled their cups around three quarters full.

"And now for the tea. Ooo I can almost taste it!" Rarity exclaimed.

"Me too." Fluttershy added smiling, not wanting her friend to be offended by her low level of enthusiasm.

Rarity placed the tea leaves into both cups. Now she needed a distraction so she could put the potion into Fluttershy's cup. Think Rarity, think! Everything is riding on you to get her to drink the potion.

Then there was a knocking at the door. "I'll be right back." Fluttershy said, walking towards the door. Rarity smiled until she left.

As Rarity saw her leave the room and out of sight she immediately grabbed the potion. She took off the cork when she heard the door open. Okay Zecora said to put three drops per hour. So I'll play it safe and put nei- I mean nine drops. Three hours should be enough for her to miss the entire thing. Oh I can't wait to see how furious that thief will be.

She heard the door close. Oh no I have to hurry! Rarity placed the last few drops in and corked the bottle. She stuffed it into her saddlebag as Fluttershy walked back into the room with some letters on her back, with a confused look.

"Is something the matter?" She asked.

"Nothing." She said quickly but regained her normal voice. "Nothing's the matter sweetie, the tea is done and I would love to speak a little more before you must leave."

"Oh yes of course." She put the letters off to the side and sat down. Fluttershy took a sip of tea and sighed.

"What seems to be the matter? Is something wrong with the tea?" Oh no, can she tell something's wrong with it?!

"Nothing's wrong with the tea, it's really good. I just want to ask you a question though, but please will you not be mad at me?"

"Why of course and I pinkie promise." She said making the signs.

"I just." Fluttershy yawned. "I just wanted to ask you if." She was interrupted once more. "If I could...

"Could???" But the mare had already fallen asleep.

"SUCCESS! Victory is mine!" Rarity chirped while giving birth to a large grin. Rarity stole a look at how she was sleeping. "Now, that is no place to sleep. I'll take you to your bed." Rarity had taken the sleeping mare carefully on her back, to her room and laid her down pulling the blanket over her. "Sleep tight. Don't let that photo pest bite."

Rarity closed the door to Fluttershy's room, and she collected all her things and locked the door as she left her home.


When she made it to her home she set everything down in her room and fell onto her bed exhausted. Rarity you've done amazing today. You deserve a nice long rest.

Rarity instantly fell asleep after thinking those last few words.

Author's Note:

Talking to my lonesome self :)

If you find any mistakes or errors feel free to point them out.
And yes if you haven't noticed I am dialogue heavy.